• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
PantherLotus said:
spm-gdc-11.jpg

I don't think any other dev, no, any other game could get away with such an art style, somehow it just works, amazing looking game, certainly plays to the Wii's strengths.

I know the UK will be at least a month behind the US with this game, but i'm not too unhappy, just getting to play (potentially) the best non main-series Mario since SMRPG (Which I had to wait years to play cause the UK didn't get it) is good enough for me, keep the info coming :)

AdamBot

Oblivion said:
Also, for the thousanth time, is this 60fps?

I don't think that's been confirmed either way yet.

It's a little hard to tell from the videos since the action is relatively slow paced... but if I had to guess, it looks like 60fps. I don't think that would be too hard to achieve considering the game probably doesn't require a hell of a lot of processing power.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well I read the Play review- basically the only complaint was that the story broke up the action :lol :lol :lol

Cosmozone said:
I knew I had this pic and still have it, but mine was even smaller, argh.

Here's a similar pic, and no, I don't have a larger version. I think the creator of this one is on this board? Can't remember who it was, perhaps clearacell.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1186/marioinclouds7yltu7.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember making that a while back :)

I'm using that picture as a background and I didn't even notice people wanting a huge version

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/clearacell/dt.jpg

All I did was blow it up, but if there's someone crazy enough out there they should vectorize it :lol

Krowley

That gamespot preview really sounded awesome... All kinds of crazy stuff going on in this game..

It is sort of spoilerish, so avoid it if that stuff bothers you. I decided to check it out since they're only talking about the very beginning of the game.

They seem really impressed with it.

AniHawk said:
I don't see how you could like this and not TP Wii. You press the buttons on the right! It's the same thing!

Has something to do with why we both hate Metroid Prime. That and IntSys walks on water and upon appearance, the sun rises.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
spm-gdc-5.jpg

is this background a tribute to the vertical lines you'd get when the contacts of your smb cart were dusty? sure looks like it. i'd be all over this if there was a gamecube version. i don't know why they announced it for gamecube in the first place -- probably just another "this is what you get for buying a gamecube" gesture.

Mar

Dragona Akehi said:
Has something to do with why we both hate Metroid Prime. That and IntSys walks on water and upon appearance, the sun rises.

I think all us Metroid Prime haters should rise up and sway popular opinion and usher in a new era of 2D.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I probably have the oddest taste. I love the 2d marios and Mario sunshine, but not mario 64. I love Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games. I LOVE Metroid Prime, but don't care for the side scrolling Metroid games. :eek:

I already have the $5 preorder down for this game, I did so when I picked up Tales of Legendia (which I still haven't played yet since I traded in FFXII towards Baten Kaitos Origins the next day).

hen5

jett said:
No, awesome would be the dimensional shift in Sega's Crush . SPM just looks cheap in comparison.

I probably could have swayed you if I had just found that GIF of Bastian I was looking for...

Seriously though, I'll have to look up Crush, I haven't seen it in action. I'm not sure how it could be so much better... every area in SPM has two distinct views and sets of interactions, which, for a 2d game of this style, is pretty cool.

But what do I know? I'm just a junior member.

drohne said:
spm-gdc-5.jpg

is this background a tribute to the vertical lines you'd get when the contacts of your smb cart were dusty? sure looks like it. i'd be all over this if there was a gamecube version. i don't know why they announced it for gamecube in the first place -- probably just another "this is what you get for buying a gamecube" gesture.

Just get a second Gamecube (approx 1$USD) and a roll of duct tape (approx 3$USD). Enjoy!

jett

D-Member
hen5 said:
I probably could have swayed you if I had just found that GIF of Bastian I was looking for...

Seriously though, I'll have to look up Crush, I haven't seen it in action. I'm not sure how it could be so much better... every area in SPM has two distinct views and sets of interactions, which, for a 2d game of this style, is pretty cool.

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/psp/article/772/772337/crush_031207_wmvlowwide.wmv

Fo yo benefit. I'm not saying Crush is a better game or anything, just strictly talking about the dimensional shift. You like The Neverending Story, so you're cool in my book anyways. :p

I enjoyed Myst, so I'm sure by GAf standards I'm a raving lunatic

Myst :rock

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dragona Akehi said:
Just get a second Gamecube (approx 1$USD) and a roll of duct tape (approx 3$USD). Enjoy!
I don't appreciate your trolling of the Nintendo Wii.

AniHawk

Grecco said:
I liked Metroid Prime. Am i still allowed in the Church of Super Paper Mario our Lord and Savior?

No.

Repent, sinner. Only when our High Priest, Dragona Akehi, forgives you, may you enter.

hen5

jett said:
http://streamingmovies.ign.com/psp/article/772/772337/crush_031207_wmvlowwide.wmv

Fo yo benefit. I'm not saying Crush is a better game or anything, just strictly talking about the dimensional shift. You like The Neverending Story, so you're cool in my book anyways. :p

Crush looks interesting - if it came to DS I might be interested in purchasing it. The dimensional shift looks like it might be more complicated than SPM; in that way I will agree with you that SPM, since it is simple, may not be as intricately-designed.

Though, we are discussing two games which very few of us have played. I haven't played either, and I'm sure that only a handful of gafers have played them. We'll have to wait and see... I'm still super psyched about SPM, but if the whole dimensional shift truly is "cheap," I may have to pass.

AniHawk said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IDDgmtAnOU

:lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Smiles and Cries said:
duct tape is too expensive, just buy a Wii

Yeah, but both the GC and duct tape are readily avaliable in stores. ;)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sell me one gamecube, shame on you; sell me two gamecubes and some duct tape...won't get fooled again.

hen5

I leave for a few hours to have a social life and this thread falls to page 2?

I guess all SPM fans have busy Saturday nights... It is true, Nintendo gamers are more cultured than the rest. :lol

just kidding!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Cards? Recipes? That could be cool. Or it could be alchemy. And we ****ing hate alchemy if it has a shitty interface. Right?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
have any videos shown like, complex platforming? all the levels I've seen have been really barren, and the characters look like they move really slow. hopefully it's just been because they were taken from intro levels or something.

BIG BUBBA said:
have any videos shown like, complex platforming? all the levels I've seen have been really barren, and the characters look like they move really slow. hopefully it's just been because they were taken from intro levels or something.

This is not an action platformer. Think of the game as a your regular Paper Mario RPG, but without the switch to a separate battle screen when you encounter an enemy.

Jefklak

PantherLotus said:
Cards? Recipes? That could be cool. Or it could be alchemy. And we ****ing hate alchemy if it has a shitty interface. Right?

No alchemy, same system as in previous Paper Mario games.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dragona Akehi said:

I have a Wii and a GameCube, should I grab some more duct tape and have triple GC power? :p

Top Bottom