• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

Cosmozone

maynerd said:
Someone please find a hi res version of this STAT.
I knew I had this pic and still have it, but mine was even smaller, argh.

Here's a similar pic, and no, I don't have a larger version. I think the creator of this one is on this board? Can't remember who it was, perhaps clearacell.
marioinclouds7yltu7.jpg

Jammy said:
You know... I LOVED Paper Mario for N64, yet I didn't check out Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door until I bought it last Christmas for $15 new. I then played that game for over 50 hours, doing everything at the Trouble Center and even completing the Pit of 100 Trials.

When this game first was revealed I didn't think much of it, but as I saw the gameplay video of the fight with the dragon and read about all of the new stuff that was revealed in the past couple of months, I officially got hyped. I'm also really looking forward to Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn now.

I'm sorry there was doubt in my mind before, Intelligent Systems. :(

Are you my twin?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
based on the screens (which admittedly don't provide that much info) it looks like the platforming is all going to be very easy. hope i'm wrong.

Firestorm

I think I'm picking this up because of the graphics. I love Paper Mario's art style and WarioWare's 2D hand-drawn scenes looks beautiful on my TV. I hated Paper Mario 2 but the Bowser sidescrolling levels were awesome. I always thought a game based entirely on those Bowser levels would be great (yes, I realize they're based on the old 2D Marios but I mean with Paper graphics).

Dammit. GAF hype did it. Guess I'll get this. Hopefully $10 off for the first week at Future Shop like most of the games have been so far =/

Firestorm

blame space said:
I feel nothing but pity for you.

It might have been a result of too much hype. I kept hearing about how funny it was and how engaging the battles were. I didn't see anything that I could lol at except for Luigi's adventures. I kept thinking "The good part must be coming up" but I was done over half the game before I realized it wasn't =/

The battles were just too easy for me. I liked Super Mario RPG's system a lot more where the timed hits were a bit harder and more rewarding to pull off. Holding the control stick left and letting it go in a window of 2 seconds is a bit too easy >.>;

But this one looks pretty fun.

agent069

Banned
It would be a lot cheaper on VC, plus it would play sexier with a pad, not speaking on the 480p versus shitty DS pixel mess.

Evlar

Banned
agent069 said:
It would be a lot cheaper on VC, plus it would play sexier with a pad, not speaking on the 480p versus shitty DS pixel mess.
True, but on the DS it would be portable. That's a good thing for older RPGs.

Mudhoney

Awesome thread. I'm loving how they went all out to make most of the game actually look like paper, and it looks amazing. 16x9 support justifies the delay for Wii completely for me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
don't even know what to add to this. the game looks amazing, the official thread is amazing--we're all set to have a blast here in a couple weeks.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Heya Mardak. Totally miss all you guys over there--anyone here at GAF looking for a nice, free, addictive web-based space-trading-combat game with little-to-no visuals should check out the nice community that is TDZK. Just google it.

2. Thanks everyone for the thread love. This is more or less exactly what I imagined. The one painting that everyone wants a bigger version of is from Deviant Art. Any bigger versions should probably be purchased.

3. Thanks for all the updates that you guys are finding. If it is something worth putting in the OP, make sure my eyes are drawn to it. Either bold it or underline it or something.

4. 4-5 pages and not one comment from amir0x? I'm kinda hoping he likes this thread. I think he might be as excited for this game as I am, so I'm really wanting his approval. And the whole never-starting-threads-again thing has me wondering, too. ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
4. 4-5 pages and not one comment from amir0x? I'm kinda hoping he likes this thread. I think he might be as excited for this game as I am, so I'm really wanting his approval. And the whole never-starting-threads-again thing has me wondering, too. ;)

Check post 47

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
nextgeneration said:
Oh boy, will this title be HUGE. I can't wait to see its impact on Wii sales. :)

I love sales as much as anyone, but this title won't have a OMG HUGE ASS effect on Wii sales. I mean, how could it...they already sell out, every single week. There's no such thing as selling more out. Right?

On that topic though, I think it has a potential to bring in lasped (*cue blue ocean strategy guy*) gamers that haven't played for a minute and kinda got turned off by 3D mario but wouldn't hesitate to pick something like this up.

But honestly though, this game is really just service to the Nintendo core. If it effects sales at all it will be in a mindshare sense. And if we see some huge bump up in sales, either in N.A. or in JPN, it will be because Nintendo held systems back for a big week...not because this game made people suddenly want a Wii that didn't already want one before. Of course, they want one more now.

And any units that Nintendo would have held back for this release would have sold out anyway. It's one week until April and the Wii is STILL sold out everywhere here in the States.

Polari

This is like, the first AAA title on Wii since launch, five months ago, which sucks.

But it's Super Paper Mario, which rocks.

I'm so conflicted.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Polari said:
This is like, the first AAA title on Wii since launch, five months ago, which sucks.

But it's Super Paper Mario, which rocks.

I'm so conflicted.

you just need to think in three dimensions, man
psychadelicious

PantherLotus said:
I love sales as much as anyone, but this title won't have a OMG HUGE ASS effect on Wii sales. I mean, how could it...they already sell out, every single week. There's no such thing as selling more out. Right?

On that topic though, I think it has a potential to bring in lasped (*cue blue ocean strategy guy*) gamers that haven't played for a minute and kinda got turned off by 3D mario but wouldn't hesitate to pick something like this up.

But honestly though, this game is really just service to the Nintendo core. If it effects sales at all it will be in a mindshare sense. And if we see some huge bump up in sales, either in N.A. or in JPN, it will be because Nintendo held systems back for a big week...not because this game made people suddenly want a Wii that didn't already want one before. Of course, they want one more now.

And any units that Nintendo would have held back for this release would have sold out anyway. It's one week until April and the Wii is STILL sold out everywhere here in the States.

Yeah, it's going to be hard to gauge Wii sales, considering it's sold out everywhere. Only if Nintendo could meet demand. If they could meet demand, I'd love to see what Wii is truly capable of selling. Oh, and I'm talking about Japan sales, mainly, as I think this title will have a much bigger impact on Wii sales in Japan than US.

Top Bottom