• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
spm-gdc-10.jpg

hen5

PantherLotus said:
I stand by my comments. Mario64 was good at the time but pales in comparison, no SHAMES the legend that was the Mario franchise after SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and the awesomeness of SMW. And we won't even mention Sunshine, ok?

Mario64 changed the way games were played. It was an awesome game. It was monumental. It had great graphics, awesome control, and it was a blast to play. I thought at the time it was the return of Christ himself come to save us. But it was a false messiah. It just wasn't mario.

Look back. Look at Mario 2. Look at Mario 3. Look at Super Mario World, or hell...even Yoshi's Island. Mario64 was simply missing a soul. No 2 player, plain art design, just-ok music, and a completely un-engaging story.

But to get back on topic, SUPER PAPER MARIO surely will address all of those issues. It is a bright and beautiful game. It returns to what Mario once was: greatness. 2D. Cute-as-hell enemies. Awesome level design. No ****ing water pack.*

It's going to be freaking awesome. And it will have wonder and joy. AND YOU WILL BEG FOR FORGIVENESS.

*and let it be remembered, it's Mario64's fault that we got that bullshit that is SMS in the first place. If that doesn't scare you about SMG, I'm not sure what will.

I think it's pretty obvious that "your opinion" is pretty much wrong. If I weren't so lazy (or, busy with more important things), I could write quite a bit to contradict you.

But, in response to the bold, I must only say three words to shatter your argument:

Dire Dire Docks.

===

Back on topic, I sure hope SPM takes me longer than GOWII.

Just for the record, Intelligent Systems didn't develop Kid Icarus. It was developed by R&D1, members of which split off to form Intelligent Systems. This would be like saying Flagship Studios developed Diablo because members of Blizzard split off to form Flagship.

Anyway, can't wait to pick up this game.

allarise

back, back, back on topic. I'm super jazzed about SPM. Like someone once said, this will be my first purchase since launch... This is actually the first Wii game that makes me wish I had a 16x9 TV, odd innit?

PantherLotus said:

Yeah its closer to its roots but one can also say its more of the same, can they not?

Mario Galaxy is so far beyond its roots I don't know how to feel, I just want to FAP to both games... Is that okay?

Haunted

sphinx said:
Do you know what are the consequences of bashing mario 64 on a nintendo friendly forum like neogaf?? prepare your flame shield.

and by the way I TOTALLY agree with you.
:lol Are you new here?

I actually just wanted to say that I hate whoever's responsible for Europe not having a clear release date. :( :( Let's hope they'll surprise us with a release soon after the Jp/US ones.
yeah right :(

Eteric Rice said:
FOR SPARTAAAA!

lba585b44cedffa19ff3f68hx6.jpg
:lol how did I miss this?

Does anybody know if breaking bricks in Super Paper Mario will give you that awesome breaking sound? That was one of my main disappointments with Super Mario World - no oldstyle breakable bricks. If they've changed the sound, then Super Paper Mario has died for me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Chris Remo said:
Just for the record, Intelligent Systems didn't develop Kid Icarus. It was developed by R&D1, members of which split off to form Intelligent Systems. This would be like saying Flagship Studios developed Diablo because members of Blizzard split off to form Flagship.

Anyway, can't wait to pick up this game.

Noted, and reference removed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Smiles and Cries said:
Yeah its closer to its roots but one can also say its more of the same, can they not?

Mario Galaxy is so far beyond its roots I don't know how to feel, I just want to FAP to both games... Is that okay?
No, you must choose.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Smiles and Cries said:
Yeah its closer to its roots but one can also say its more of the same?
Gamespot: 8.8 confirmed.

Biggity back on topic though!

SPM will be fantastic.

How much will this game boost Wii sales in US and Japan? Anyone care to guess

allarise said:
back, back, back on topic. I'm super jazzed about SPM. Like someone once said, this will be my first purchase since launch... This is actually the first Wii game that makes me wish I had a 16x9 TV, odd innit?

So true, but I'm still a month away from my new TV
I can't pass up playing this day one I'm a 16:9 whore and never owned a widescreen TV
:lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Smiles and Cries said:
How much will this game boost Wii sales in US and Japan? Anyone care to guess
Not at all, it's already sold out so it will just continue to do the same.

Totalriot

Haunted_One said:
I actually just wanted to say that I hate whoever's responsible for Europe not having a clear release date. :( :( Let's hope they'll surprise us with a release soon after the Jp/US ones.
yeah right :(

To be fair, compared to Gamecube or even DS, Wii first party titles don't take too long to come from US to Europe (Wario Ware, Excite Truck). 3rd partys (SSX, Sonic, Tiger Woods) are even faster.

I am still quite optimistic.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I approve of Panther randomly filling this thread with SPM pics.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
agent069 said:
That sounds a little queer, you'll have to switch between horizontal and vertical position to get info? We also wish we could use the Wavebird or the Classic Controler for this game, it's a damn side-scroller anyway.
why the heck do you refer to yourself as 'we'? serioulsy :/

Cosmozone

I haven't any experience with Paper Mario so far so I'm not that hyped yet. But that's a good thing, makes the wait much more bearable. I'm gonna play Paper Mario 2 before SPM comes out in Europe.

AniHawk

Kintaro said:
Well, in the first review of the game I've seen, it received an 8.5 from Play.

Let the bashing commence.

Well, Super Paper Mario is sorta the appetizer to Super Mario Galaxy anyway. And NSMB is the snack before the meal.

Cosmozone said:
I haven't any experience with Paper Mario so far so I'm not that hyped yet. But that's a good thing, makes the wait much more bearable. I'm gonna play Paper Mario 2 before SPM comes out in Europe.

The thing is that Super Paper Mario doesn't really have that much in common with the Paper Mario series other than the graphics style. The Paper Marios are Adventure-RPGs with some action-sidescrolling elements, and Super Paper Mario is an action-sidescroller with some adventure-RPG elements.

I wonder how Nintendo will communicate the fact that this game is NOT an RPG but a true lovechild of Super Mario Bros. and Zelda II (but in a good way).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kintaro said:
Well, in the first review of the game I've seen, it received an 8.5 from Play.

Let the bashing commence.

The same Play magazine that gave Sonic the Hedgehog a 8.5 as well?

Cosmozone

Eteric Rice said:
The other Paper Marios really don't have much in common with this one.
Well, the appeal of the Paper Mario style seems to be all you can do with it from a visual perspective such as when you see how thin the characters are, when they are turning and many more ideas. I like that and it's a similarity. The dimension switch thing in SPM (which is *awesome*) also falls in that department so I'm expecting other great things from the game. Just like in that video, where the player character appeared in the background. That was great as well. Well ok, I AM hyped. :)

Jammy

Banned
You know... I LOVED Paper Mario for N64, yet I didn't check out Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door until I bought it last Christmas for $15 new. I then played that game for over 50 hours, doing everything at the Trouble Center and even completing the Pit of 100 Trials.

When this game first was revealed I didn't think much of it, but as I saw the gameplay video of the fight with the dragon and read about all of the new stuff that was revealed in the past couple of months, I officially got hyped. I'm also really looking forward to Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn now.

I'm sorry there was doubt in my mind before, Intelligent Systems. :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PantherLotus said:
I stand by my comments. Mario64 was good at the time but pales in comparison, no SHAMES the legend that was the Mario franchise after SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and the awesomeness of SMW. And we won't even mention Sunshine, ok?

Mario64 changed the way games were played. It was an awesome game. It was monumental. It had great graphics, awesome control, and it was a blast to play. I thought at the time it was the return of Christ himself come to save us. But it was a false messiah. It just wasn't mario.

Look back. Look at Mario 2. Look at Mario 3. Look at Super Mario World, or hell...even Yoshi's Island. Mario64 was simply missing a soul. No 2 player, plain art design, just-ok music, and a completely un-engaging story.

But to get back on topic, SUPER PAPER MARIO surely will address all of those issues. It is a bright and beautiful game. It returns to what Mario once was: greatness. 2D. Cute-as-hell enemies. Awesome level design. No ****ing water pack.*

It's going to be freaking awesome. And it will have wonder and joy. AND YOU WILL BEG FOR FORGIVENESS.

*and let it be remembered, it's Mario64's fault that we got that bullshit that is SMS in the first place. If that doesn't scare you about SMG, I'm not sure what will.

Bite your tongue, heathen! Shiggy put as much love into SM64 as he did the 2D ones (minus the GB ones).

Play gave Sonic 9.5/10 Not 8.5 out of 10

And here I thought was being generous by saying that it MIGHT be as good as Sunshine.

Top Bottom