• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
agent069 said:
That sounds a little queer, you'll have to switch between horizontal and vertical position to get info? We also wish we could use the Wavebird or the Classic Controler for this game, it's a damn side-scroller anyway.

Actually, I'm thinking of it more like a help screen. As in, non-inpactive of gameplay. I'm guessing it pauses the game in a way. I see your point though, but I think at least they're TRYING to make it look like it belongs on the Wii.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Now this is how to do an "official" thread, great job. Day 1 purchase for me, this will be the first game I will have bought since launch.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
PantherLotus said:
Almost legendary amount of info on SPM

Wow, bravo, one of the best hype threads I have seen since I started lurking here, and for a well deserving game, if only that EU date got filled, I want some IntSys loving too.

SPM GOTY award on standby? I can't wait to see if this shifts the Wii sales into overdrive (Just in time for the April push in supply IIRC).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
{Mike} said:
PantherLotus???????????????

:lol :lol :lol

edit ; lol I tought it was a magazine or something

9.9/10 allows .1 for the sequel.

On that note, I haven't been this excited for a Mario game since the day I got my bright yellow copy of Nintendo Power in the mail. Oh man I can't tell you how hyped I was back in the day for that game, and I can't describe how much I look forward to this game, either.

npsmb3.jpg

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I have to finish the GC game I bought to play on the Wii first.

Although, this is a platformer and not an RPG, so that's cool. Hope it turns out awesome.

PantherLotus said:
On that note, I haven't been this excited for a Mario game since the day I got my bright yellow copy of Nintendo Power in the mail. Oh man I can't tell you how hyped I was back in the day for that game, and I can't describe how much I look forward to this game, either.

npsmb3.jpg

I think I spent more time in my life staring and lusting at the screenshots and maps of Super Mario Bros. than actually playing that game... but I can see where you are getting at. Unlike other Mario games since then, Super Paper Mario seems to have that special... something which Super Mario Bros 3. And I can imagine that it will probably have the same effect on people - people loving it and proclaiming it Mario heaven, and others going ahead and saying that the more "traditional 3d" Super Mario Galaxy is better (the Super Mario World for this comparison).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dr_Cogent said:
I have to finish the GC game I bought to play on the Wii first.

Although, this is a platformer and not an RPG, so that's cool. Hope it turns out awesome.

This cannot be stated enough times. It's like Nintendo realized what went wrong (Mario64), and then saw the light (NSMB=$). Luckily for us, we get the result of Nintendo's greed.

Let us show them that when they treat us well, they will sell games UNTO THE HEAVENS.

Eteric Rice

This is going to be a first day purchase for me.

Then again, only games that are from Nintendo, and Square-Enix are ever "first day purchases" for me. I usually wait for other stuff to drop in price. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait did somebody say that Mario was "traditionally" in 3D or did I completely read that wrong?

Jesus of Nazareth, rescuer of gamers everywhere regardless of their blasphemy, save us from our sins.

Haunted

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

Amir0x in that other SPM thread said:
but it better be, quite literally, the BEST official thread ever conceived. If it does not meet that standard, all your official thread starting privileges will be revoked and I will personally come to your house and say mean things to you.
Panther, you're definitely safe with this one. Kudos - this is the one time where the official thread
nearly
stands up to the awesomeness of the game it's promoting.

2nd coming of Jesus, Fools!

PantherLotus said:
This cannot be stated enough times. It's like Nintendo realized what went wrong (Mario64)
wait, what? Don't make me hit you.

PantherLotus said:
Wait did somebody say that Mario was "traditionally" in 3D or did I completely read that wrong?

Jesus of Nazareth, rescuer of gamers everywhere regardless of their blasphemy, save us from our sins.

Well you better pray this sells much better than Mario Galaxy :)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PantherLotus said:
It's like Nintendo realized what went wrong (Mario64)
If Mario 64 is wrong, I don't want to be right...

sad.png

PantherLotus said:

I mentioned "traditional 3d" compared to Paper Mario's "nontraditional 2d/3d hybrid" which might scare off gamers who came onto the Mario franchise post-Mario 64. I personally am an unashamed oldschool fan of 2d game goodness of all types and am looking forward more to this game than any new-fangled 3d Mario games coming up.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Smiles and Cries said:
Mario 64 went wrong? You are ****ing up a great thread you worked hard on :(

I stand by my comments. Mario64 was good at the time but pales in comparison, no SHAMES the legend that was the Mario franchise after SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and the awesomeness of SMW. And we won't even mention Sunshine, ok?

Mario64 changed the way games were played. It was an awesome game. It was monumental. It had great graphics, awesome control, and it was a blast to play. I thought at the time it was the return of Christ himself come to save us. But it was a false messiah. It just wasn't mario.

Look back. Look at Mario 2. Look at Mario 3. Look at Super Mario World, or hell...even Yoshi's Island. Mario64 was simply missing a soul. No 2 player, plain art design, just-ok music, and a completely un-engaging story.

But to get back on topic, SUPER PAPER MARIO surely will address all of those issues. It is a bright and beautiful game. It returns to what Mario once was: greatness. 2D. Cute-as-hell enemies. Awesome level design. No ****ing water pack.*

It's going to be freaking awesome. And it will have wonder and joy. AND YOU WILL BEG FOR FORGIVENESS.

*and let it be remembered, it's Mario64's fault that we got that bullshit that is SMS in the first place. If that doesn't scare you about SMG, I'm not sure what will.

rezuth

So Luigi does not appear in any screenshots or videos of the game. Yet he appears on the cover for both versions of the game... Luigi as fourth charater confirmed?

Mario 64 was pretty embarassing when compared to the classing sidescrolling 2D Marios. Thankfully Sunshine did a much better job of capturing the feel of those games.

I want this game so bad but I don't have a wii :( :( :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
rezuth said:
So Luigi does not appear in any screenshots or videos of the game. Yet he appears on the cover for both versions of the game... Luigi as fourth charater confirmed?

Great theory!

I've read that he was kidnapped and that you actually have to rescue him. Maybe it's replayable with Luigi?

PantherLotus said:
I stand by my comments. Mario64 was good at the time but pales in comparison, no SHAMES the legend that was the Mario franchise after SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and the awesomeness of SMW. And we won't even mention Sunshine, ok?

Mario64 changed the way games were played. It was an awesome game. It was monumental. It had great graphics, awesome control, and it was a blast to play. I thought at the time it was the return of Christ himself come to save us. But it was a false messiah. It just wasn't mario.

Look back. Look at Mario 2. Look at Mario 3. Look at Super Mario World, or hell...even Yoshi's Island. Mario64 was simply missing a soul. No 2 player, plain art design, just-ok music, and a completely un-engaging story.

But to get back on topic, SUPER PAPER MARIO surely will address all of those issues. It is a bright and beautiful game. It returns to what Mario once was: greatness. 2D. Cute-as-hell enemies. Awesome level design. No ****ing water pack.*

It's going to be freaking awesome. And it will have wonder and joy. AND YOU WILL BEG FOR FORGIVENESS.

*and let it be remembered, it's Mario64's fault that we got that bullshit that is SMS in the first place. If that doesn't scare you about SMG, I'm not sure what will.

sheesh 2d whore, I will agree that 2d marios are awesome, I miss my yellow cape and raccoon tails but get off Mario 64's jock... and don't talk shit about SMS

do you have to **** up the Thread of Wonder and Joy with your biased hate?

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:

whoa, that was brave from you.

Do you know what are the consequences of bashing mario 64 on a nintendo friendly forum like neogaf?? prepare your flame shield.

and by the way I TOTALLY agree with you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey, it's an opinion...and I stand by it. I don't believe it will detract for our mutual EXCITE for this game. Not at all. Can we at least agree that this might be closer to a real Mario game than Galaxy will be?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PantherLotus said:
Hey, it's an opinion...and I stand by it. I don't believe it will detract for our mutual EXCITE for this game. Not at all. Can we at least agree that this might be closer to a real Mario game than Galaxy will be?
Thread--

What are you doing Panther?! Why must you de-hype Galaxy!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sphinx said:
whoa, that was brave from you.

Do you know what are the consequences of bashing mario 64 on a nintendo friendly forum like neogaf?? prepare your flame shield.

and by the way I TOTALLY agree with you.
I never finished Mario 64 and didn't even try Sunshine. Count me in the non 3D Mario fans. I have high hopes for Mario Galaxy though, partly thanks to the small planets level design.

PantherLotus said:

okay agreed, lets not bring it up again.

I secretly want to see this game outsell Galaxy
:D

Eteric Rice

PantherLotus, I will give you 3 days to take that back.

3 DAYS!

If you do not, I will use two Gamecubes as knuckles (because of the handles, they're great boxing... things) AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU! >=(

FOR SPARTAAAA!

lba585b44cedffa19ff3f68hx6.jpg

Top Bottom