• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
spm-gdc-9.jpg

AdamBot said:
Is anybody else playing obscene amounts of both Paper Mario and SMB in preparation?
Yes, TTYD for the most part, and maybe some of Super Mario World. SMW in hopes that there are elements of it, at least in the level design.

AdamBot

Mr. Spinnington said:
SMW in hopes that there are elements of it, at least in the level design.

I havn't seen any in the screens, but then again we havn't seen much. I would love to see elements of SMB3 as well, maybe a couple other games. 2D/3D switching Yoshi's Island?? Pure awesomeness.

jett

D-Member
This game isn't even released and it's already posied to be the one of, if not the most massively overrated game in the history of gaf. It looks like a low-budget afterthought to me, I've watched all the latest vids on gametrailers and I just don't see how this ridiculous excitement is justified really.

jett said:
This game isn't even released and it's already posied to be the one of, if not the most massively overrated game in the history of gaf. It looks like a low-budget afterthought to me, I've watched all the latest vids on gametrailers and I just don't see how this ridiculous excitement is justified really.

hey your tag is so sufficent! :lol

jett said:
Hey.

Shut up.

The very day this is released is the day I rebuy a Wii.

If i can't find a store, i'll go to Ebay. I know i'm going to use Wii as a first party machine only, but this game puts me over the top. MP3 and SMG later this year is not a bad deal either.

Not much else for Wii looks good though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I request more awesome dancing gifs!

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmozone said:
I knew I had this pic and still have it, but mine was even smaller, argh.

Here's a similar pic, and no, I don't have a larger version. I think the creator of this one is on this board? Can't remember who it was, perhaps clearacell.
marioinclouds7yltu7.jpg

That would be freakin' rad if Nintendo did a 2D Mario platformer with prerendered backgrounds or f*ck, real pictures like that.

zallaaa

is there some kind of idea on a hypothetical date for the european launch? they are encouraging me to mod my wii...

Majmun

I love mario platformers. But this one just doesn't do anything to me...

It looks so simple and the 2D to 3D transition looks cheap. This should've stayed 2D, IMO.

jett said:

I sort of agree. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a nice little diversion, but as a longtime Paper Mario fan (the original is my favorite N64 game ever) I think I'd like to see it more as an RPG and less as a platformer. I'll be buying, but in terms of whether or not I'll enjoy it as much as the original or even TTYD is pretty unlikely.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BrandNew said:
I sort of agree. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a nice little diversion, but as a longtime Paper Mario fan (the original is my favorite N64 game ever) I think I'd like to see it more as an RPG and less as a platformer. I'll be buying, but in terms of whether or not I'll enjoy it as much as the original or even TTYD is pretty unlikely.

But the main draw for most of us here is that it IS a platformer. Otherwise I don't think there would have been 1/10 of the anticipation. Not a slam against the PM games, just that Mario platformers are held in much higher regard than Mario RPGs.

Also, I don't see how this game would be any more overrated than God of War 2 lolz.

Majmun

Oblivion said:
Also, I don't see how this game would be any more overrated than God of War 2 lolz.

The difference between GOW 2 and this is that GOW 2 is already out and has proven itself to be an excellent game.

hen5

Second said:
I love mario platformers. But this one just doesn't do anything to me...

It looks so simple and the 2D to 3D transition looks cheap. This should've stayed 2D, IMO.

Cheap, huh? Try awesome.

3451240307falkor_smiling.gif

Oblivion said:
But the main draw for most of us here is that it IS a platformer. Otherwise I don't think there would have been 1/10 of the anticipation. Not a slam against the PM games, just that Mario platformers are held in much higher regard than Mario RPGs.

I'm sorry, but when Mario is the hands of IS and it's an RPG, I hold those games MUCH higher than the Mario platformers, 'cept Super Mario World.

Oblivion

BrandNew said:
I'm sorry, but when Mario is the hands of IS and it's an RPG, I hold those games MUCH higher than the Mario platformers, 'cept Super Mario World.

Understandable, but I was talking about the majority of people.

Oblivion

I was just checking out that SPM vs. Mario Galaxy thread a while back, and was surprised to see Galaxy get the overwhelming majority of votes. That's not the picture I thought when looking at the E3 awards. Heh.

Top Bottom