• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane talks super paper mario

He's answering q's on his blog. Here are the questions asked so far

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7895316&publicUserId=1002415

noisynoisy asks, "How do the 2D/3D mechanics work? Can the player switch between the two at any time??????

You actually control several different characters during the game, but only Mario can 'flip' the world between 2D and 3D. It's easy--all you do is press the 'A' button to flip to 3D, but while in that view, a meter constantly counts down...if it runs out, you'll begin to lose HP. It refills slowly once you've switched back to 2D....

noisy goes on to ask, "Is the game more action or more RPG. Is it similar to the original Paper Mario on the N64?"

It has towns, shops, NPCs, and puzzles like the Paper Mario games you know and love, but nearly all of the levels unfold as a blend of traditional side-scrolling platforming and more RPG-like puzzle elements. All combat happens in real-time, though: You're hopping and bopping, not picking commands from a menu.

and for good measure, noisy also asks, "Does the game support progressive scan with 16.9 ratio?"

Yep. That's how I played it. Looks crisp!

Pipking asks, "How does the gameplay handle with the remote - creative or tacked on?"

That's veering into reviewy territory, but I'll say that although it was clearly not a from-the-ground-up Wii project, much of the Wii-mote implementation feels intuitive and clever. You're probably only using true Wii-mote functionality less than 20% of the time you're playing, though.

Pipking also aks, "Is it a long game?"

I beat it in about 27 hours, though I definitely missed a lot of optional stuff. Gotta go back and get it all...

Braidedsamurai87 asks, "Will there be a Gamecube release eventually?"

Sadly, nope. Nintendo really should have though...look at how well Twilight Princess has sold on the Cube. Missed opportunity, guys....

Sunderland asks, "Does the game has a sense of humor similar to,or better than that of Paper mario 2?"

Yep, expect the same off-the-wall humor and hi jinks from PM2...I'm pretty sure the same writers/translators are back. I laughed out loud a lot while playing this game...it's especially brutal in its mockery of message board trolls.

Moogletim asks, "You said that you dont start out with the basic actions like run and other actions on the 1upyours show. Is it like Traditional RPG's and that you earn or buy them like magic in Final Fantasy?"

Good question--each character has one unique ability (Mario can 'flip,' Peach can float using her parasol, and Bowser can breathe fire), but all of them can use the abilities given to you by 'Pixls' these weird little familiars that you find throughout your quest. These guys allow you to do stuff like run really fast, throw objects/enemies, etc. The magical effects you've seen in past PM games only exist as one-time-use items.

JoeFu asks, "How is the difficulty for the game? It's not too easy is it?"

It starts out pretty easy, but gets pretty damned tough by the end...and the puzzles offer solid challenge for your brain throughout.

Underfooter muses, "Is this the next big thing for wii owners after Zelda would you say? Or is it just a mild distraction until Super Mario Galaxy?"

Compared to most of the Wii stuff out there, this is a really meaty game. It's also more accessible than the past PM games, given its traditional mario gameplay. The complex 2D/3D mechanic might scare off little kids, but I think that older gamers will want to spend some quality time with this.

New_Generation_Gamer asks several questions, starting with, "You said the player controls 'several different characters' throughout the game. Does that mean any multiplayer at all, even minigames?"

As far as I can tell, SPM has no multiplayer gameplay whatsoever. It could have a hidden minigame or something, but so far, no dice.

He then asks, "Will it work with Wii Connect24 in anyway?"

Nope.

And ends with, "Also you said you missed some optional stuff, does that mean alot of sidequests to keep you busy when you get tired of the main story?"

You'll spy the occasional mysterious locked door or inacessible area, but it's not a wide-open RPG by any means. I'm guessing there's about an hour or two of side-questing that I missed my first time through.

Some crazy kid named JohnTV asks, "Will you send it to me? Today?"

Sure thing. It's on its way.

Chronomoose asks, "Shane, do you think that Nintendo will ever do a true Mario RPG sequel rather than Paper Mario? Or is that something that went out the window when Squaresoft-Enix moved on to greener, more Sony-ish pastures?"

Seems doubtful to me, bro...at least we'll see Super Mario RPG on Virtual Console eventually. The only Square/Nintendo co-op games on the horizon are the Crystal Chronicles sequels for DS/Wii. Maybe one day we'll see something else...like maybe a Kingdom Hearts/Mario crossover! Dare to dream...

CrankyPanda (among others) asks, "Does it continue the story of a past paper mario, or does the story come from the ground up?

It's a totally original story that takes place in the wacky world of Flipside. Nothing from the previous two games here, except for Mario. and Co.

TrueNerd asks, "Is the music more akin to the other Paper Marios or is it remixes of the classic platformers or is it something entirely different?"

You'll hear plenty of fun remixes here, along with a lot of original music that uses some cool retro/chippy instruments to good effect.

dkeane

Wow around 27 hours? That's sounds perfect.
I was afraid it might be shorter due to more platforming, less RPG elements.
I need this game so bad. Wish we could see some new videos.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sounds Freaking Awesome. :D

Hopefully you can tell us even more when you get it john. :)

I'm surprised nobody asked Shane why it's coming out in April if it's done...

AdamBot

April is going to be a very busy month... I'm going to have to somehow find a way to play SPM and Pokémon at the same time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
This sounds awesome.

I assume the music's being done by whoever did the last Paper Mario? If so it'll be great, that has one of the best soundtracks of last gen.

OMG.gif

It's a totally original story that takes place in the wacky world of Flipside. Nothing from the previous two games here, except for Mario. and Co.
Cool. I tend to like to play things in order and was planning on eventually playing Paper Mario through Virtual Console before moving forward, so I was hoping continuity wouldn't be a big deal here.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
How could I have missed this game? I didn't even know it existed until yesterday. Okay, THIS will be the game that finally forces me to buy the Wii.

Jefklak

You have reached a page that is no longer in our system. Click here to go to the home page. Anyway, got the core answers, thanks for that

Barf_the_Mog said:
How could I have missed this game? I didn't even know it existed until yesterday. Okay, THIS will be the game that finally forces me to buy the Wii.
X_X blasphemy. We've know about it since e3. In your def. nintendo has sucked in the info department and we knew next to nothing about it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
27 hours for a platform game (yeah yeah it has some RPG elements I know) is potentially orgasmic!

More:

ReyVGM asks, "Am I the only one that misses the Mario 3 suits such as the Tanooki and Frog?"

Hell no, man...I'd love to see those power-ups return in the future (along with the elusive Hammer Bros. suit!). Super Paper Mario actually references these power-ups...but you don't actually get to use them in the game. Bummer.

Blake_Stewart aska, "What with all this talk of action oriented gameplay mixed with character leveling, towns, and rpg-like puzzles one must ask: The Zelda 2 of Mario games?"

Good call, bro: I actually thought that exact same thing while playing this. While it's not as open-ended as Zelda II due to the lack of an overworld, the game flows in a really similar manner. Zelda II rocks, btw.

Ilikesanta asks, "How does switching characters work? Are you forced to use characters in some levels, or can you switch on the fly in the middle of a level?"

You don't start with all of the characters, but once you have them you can quickly switch between them on the fly at any point.

Supersmashsolidsnake asks, "I see Bowser in the one screen-shot. Does he play a big role?"

I certainly used him a lot. Even though he can't 'flip' like Mario, his attack is twice as powerful. Bowser is a f'n tank!

ECC gets deep with this q: "Does mario move like in every other 2d mario game? I know you said you have to get the shell toss and the run but after that does it really feel like classic mario with a paper makeover?"

Great question...it never feels exactly like a traditional Mario game, simply because you don't have to hold down 'B' to run...but the overall control feels pretty close, and the platforming gets more intense as the game progresses.

Nintendude827 asks, "What's the magician thingy's name? What role does he play in Super Paper Mario?"

That's the main villain, Count Bleck. He's something else entirely

Testicular Sound Express said:

It starts out pretty easy, but gets pretty damned tough by the end...and the puzzles offer solid challenge for your brain throughout.

YES! YESSS! YES!

Krowley

At 27 hours with all the coolness and innovation they are talking about... I hate to say it, but THIS may end up being the real mario game instead of mario galaxy... Or maybe more like a dual headed monster of two legitimate console mario platformers in the same year and both totally different.

Wow.

Also, i'm guessing a length like that makes it one of the longest platformers of all time. A platformer/RPG that not only adds stats and stuff, but it's long like an RPG too. I'm literaly salivating right now.

Krowley said:
At 27 hours with all the coolness and innovation they are talking about... I hate to say it, but THIS may end up being the real mario game instead of mario galaxy... Or maybe more like a dual headed monster of two legitimate console mario platformers in the same year and both totally different.

Wow.

Also, i'm guessing a length like that makes it one of the longest platformers of all time. A platformer/RPG that not only adds stats and stuff, but it's long like an RPG too. I'm literaly salivating right now.

Any closer to making my perfect game and I'd probably be unconscious right now.

Testicular Sound Express said:

YES! YESSS YES!

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
This is quite possibly a huge contender for GOTY.

Intelligent Systems has delivered again.

vitaflo

jj984jj said:
I'm surprised nobody asked Shane why it's coming out in April if it's done...

Isn't April when Nintendo will be shipping the Wii's from the new manufacturing facility? Perhaps they're just waiting for the shipments to ramp up.

Braidedsamurai87 asks, "Will there be a Gamecube release eventually?"

Sadly, nope. Nintendo really should have though...look at how well Twilight Princess has sold on the Cube. Missed opportunity, guys....

While it was obvious that the GC version had been dropped some time ago, I definitely wish that they had kept it. I don't have a Wii yet and while I'm sure I'll get this game for the Wii once I get one, whenever that happens, but I'd get it a lot sooner if it came out for GC...

I know that just like with dropping GBA support in favor of the DS they're doing it in order to make people upgrade (though cutting off GBA development last year while the system was (and is) still selling very well is an odd decision in many ways, they made it), but it's still dissapointing. All indications say that this game will live up to its hype and I wish I could play it sooner rather than later. :)

vitaflo said:
Isn't April when Nintendo will be shipping the Wii's from the new manufacturing facility? Perhaps they're just waiting for the shipments to ramp up.
It's pretty obvious why they're doing it, they want to space out their game releases for the people that buy, like, one or two games a month.

It sucks for people who want it now.

Top Bottom