• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official White Knight Chronicles Thread

jiggle

I wonder if the switch to character customization has to do with the change. They did mention he was made using the same customization.

KTallguy

Banned
Well they've been advertising the fuck out of this game in Japan in every store I go, so I hope and pray that even if the story is shit, it's at least told in an intelligent way.

But man, Rogue Galaxy :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
KTallguy said:
Well they've been advertising the fuck out of this game in Japan in every store I go, so I hope and pray that even if the story is shit, it's at least told in an intelligent way.

Rogue Galaxy wasn't bad, it just wasn't fantastic.

I think this may turn out quite good. It will likely be a great easy/casual RPG, much like RG and Dark Cloud series, and not the tough RPGs like FF series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KTallguy said:

At least they're advertising it :lol
I hope it's good... as I have said, I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy up until the ending... so...

AndyD said:
Rogue Galaxy wasn't bad, it just wasn't fantastic.

I think this may turn out quite good. It will likely be a great easy/casual RPG, much like RG and Dark Cloud series, and not the tough RPGs like FF series.

Tough? What?

starblade

This game is really shaping up to be the first game I might import. If the Famitsu review manages to be above 35 (which doesn't seem hard for an rpg to pull off) and I'm not reeling after Christmas, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge.

However as much as I love Level 5, everything about this game appears...bland. That's just the palpable feeling I get from every trailer I see and every screenshot. Level 5 has never truly dropped the ball however (even with Rogue Galaxy) and I doubt a game they have poured so much production time and resources into will turn out less than stellar.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DarknessTear said:
Tough? What?

I always felt that FF series are a little too deep and involved for the average player. Too many items, stats, abilities...

I love those games, don't get me wrong.

On the other hand stuff like Dark Cloud was more amateur friendly.

Yazus

Fuck it, i HAVE to get a PS3 soon.

White Knight Chronicles, Versus XIII... too few reasons to actually buy a PS3 for a JRPG fan like me. I hope that Team ICO nex project is going to be on PS3 so i'll have a reason to instant-buy it :D

Edit: i dont like the other ps3 rpgs that are actually realased exclusively to the ps3 (i have a 360 and all those games).
I hope Square/tri-Ace/Level-5 and other good JRPG devs relase some new jrpg on that console.

Apenheul

It's been a long time since I've seen screenshots from this game but that character creation tool looks great. That and the online quests make this JRPG title stand out for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yazus said:
Fuck it, i HAVE to get a PS3 soon.

White Knight Chronicles, Versus XIII... too few reasons to actually buy a PS3 for a JRPG fan like me. I hope that Team ICO nex project is going to be on PS3 so i'll have a reason to instant-buy it :D

Edit: i dont like the other ps3 rpgs that are actually realased exclusively to the ps3 (i have a 360 and all those games).
I hope Square/tri-Ace/Level-5 and other good JRPG devs relase some new jrpg on that console.

Yeah, Valkyria is amazing. Probably better than most of the Japanese games release this generation so far...

kay

From other thread
--lots of optional content
--big boss battles
--simplistic combat
--customizable combos
--is basically like every other Level 5 RPG

Doesn't sound too bad, also don't forget to form an opinion yourself as famitsu is a joke. But this game just isn't for me, I'm only interested in the CAC and maybe the online, if it is good. I will probably get the english release however so.. <exits>

I think this'll do great in sales.
Looks like it will become the top selling HD RPG in Japan, if preorders aren't suddenly all cancelled that is. :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kagari said:
Yeah, Valkyria is amazing. Probably better than most of the Japanese games release this generation so far...

Seriously? Hmm, I might have to pick this up. If I had known this on employee appreciation day, would have been a nice pick up.

starblade

starblade said:
This game is really shaping up to be the first game I might import. If the Famitsu review manages to be above 35 (which doesn't seem hard for an rpg to pull off) and I'm not reeling after Christmas, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge.

However as much as I love Level 5, everything about this game appears...bland. That's just the palpable feeling I get from every trailer I see and every screenshot. Level 5 has never truly dropped the ball however (even with Rogue Galaxy) and I doubt a game they have poured so much production time and resources into will turn out less than stellar.

Looks like my worst fears were realized according to famitsu. As rpg starved as I am right now on the PS3, I also know when to not needlessly waste money. I'll wait for first-hand impressions and maybe buy the domestic release.

Defuser

starblade said:
Looks like my worst fears were realized according to famitsu. As rpg starved as I am right now on the PS3, I also know when to not needlessly waste money. I'll wait for first-hand impressions and maybe buy the domestic release.
Buy Valkyria Chronicles. If you're RPG starving,you should have known about this game.

Lightning

Banned
LOL. Famitsu scores.... probably the most up and down inconstant reviews that seem to have no set standard on the internet are still taken seriously.

That is laughable. I'll wait for Western reviews before judging whether Level 5 have failed or not. Least we not forget Last Remnant different from Famitsu and the rest of the world.

Loudninja said:
Really its , famitsu I am not really sure why people wait for their scores.

Well, what other JRPGs got such a low score recently? With which games does it share company?

I don't recall any big budget JRPG getting such a low score from them.

Shame really, this one could have gone either way. One thing I think it won't be is 'middle of the road'.

Lightning said:
I'll wait for Western reviews before judging whether Level 5 have failed or not.

For a JRPG? Lightning, have you lost your mind tonight? Between this and LR since when did you put some much faith in the Western gaming media for JRPG reviews? :lol

Boulayman

I feel let down by that famitsu score :( True I don't really pay that much attention to most of their review scores (Haze) but for a jrpg to get such a low score from them? I am still looking forward to that game but the hype has gone down quite a bit I think. Then again, they don't seem to hold as much of an influence on gamers as they used to, just look at how 428 performed.

Loudninja

gregor7777 said:
Well, what other JRPGs got such a low score recently? With which games does it share company?

I don't recall any big budget JRPG getting such a low score from them.

Shame really, this one could have gone either way. One thing I think it won't be is 'middle of the road'.

For a JRPG? Lightning, have you lost your mind tonight? Between this and LR since when did you put some much faith in the Western gaming media for JRPG reviews? :lol

Do you see all the negative mention in the review?

Loudninja

gregor7777 said:
Wasn't much at all to go by really. Although a Japanese reviewer calling the combat 'simplistic' is not a good thing.

All those RPGS that got high scores were basically the same formula.

Aslo the review mention the game about 30 hours to complete.

Boulayman

gregor7777 said:
Wasn't much at all to go by really. Although a Japanese reviewer calling the combat 'simplistic' is not a good thing.

Well, since they reviewed quite recently The last Remnant which involved a quite complex combat system, they may have gotten their standards wrong.

I do feel that the score is quite low when compared to what they had to say about it (Kinda reminds me of the score dynamic The Last remnant got form western reviewers).

For now, I'll interpret simplistic as meaning traditional rpg combat and I, for one, think it's a plus.

Lightning

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I don't have that much faith in the western ones but they are all we have. One can't deny that Famitsu are extremely suspect with their scores. It is next to impossible to tell which games they genuinely rate and which games get token scores because of backstage deals.

It is entirely possible that Level 5 have not delivered but I don't feel that Famitsu scores are a good indication of that.

The thing I trust the most are user reviews, they should hopefully flow through after the game releases.

Lightning said:
The thing I trust the most are user reviews, they should hopefully flow through after the game releases.

Sorry to keep bringing up LR, but I wanted to point out an inconsistency in your posts.

In another thread, I called you out about saying LR was a bad game even though you haven't played it. You said, to paraphrase, that it wasn't getting positive feedback or something to that effect so you'd never play it.

Now in the Western media, the game got killed. But user impressions, particularly here on GAF which you've pointed out numerous times you trust over the gaming media, impressions have been overwhelmingly positive.

What gives? I think I know, but I'd like to hear you say it once and for all.

Loudninja said:
All those RPGS that got high scores were basically the same formula.

Aslo the review mention the game about 30 hours to complete.

Say what? Which game recently does LR compare to? It's battle mechanics are non-typical to put it mildly.

I promise for the good of the thread this will be my last LR post

Boulayman said:
Well, since they reviewed quite recently The last Remnant which involved a quite complex combat system, they may have gotten their standards wrong.

I do feel that the score is quite low when compared to what they had to say about it (Kinda reminds me of the score dynamic The Last remnant got form western reviewers).

For now, I'll interpret simplistic as meaning traditional rpg combat and I, for one, think it's a plus.

I could buy into this. We'll see when GAF gets it's grubby hands on it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gregor7777 said:
Sorry to keep bringing up LR, but I wanted to point out an inconsistency in your posts.

In another thread, I called you out about saying LR was a bad game even though you haven't played it. You said, to paraphrase, that it wasn't getting positive feedback or something to that effect so you'd never play it.

Now in the Western media, the game got killed. But user impressions, particularly here on GAF which you've pointed out numerous times you trust over the gaming media, impressions have been overwhelmingly positive.

Say what? Which game recently does LR compare to? It's battle mechanics are non-typical to put it mildly.

I am not sure what your guys beef is, but if you mean TLR, it seems the GAF impressions are that its a very buggy game and generally just average... At least that's what I got out of reading around here.

Loudninja

gregor7777 said:

I could buy into this. We'll see when GAF gets it's grubby hands on it.

I was not talking about LR :lol

AndyD said:
I am not sure what your guys beef is, but if you mean TLR, it seems the GAF impressions are that its a very buggy game and generally just average... At least that's what I got out of reading around here.

Check out the official thread. Pretty positive impressions there from the people who've actually played a game I won't mention. The game I won't mention won't get any positive feedback in Sony hives I'm sure, given it's release status.

It's a let down in a technical sense, in more than one way, but it doesn't affect the gameplay in the least. Particularly if it's installed. Dramatic improvement, which PS3 owners will see obviously.

Loudninja said:
I was not talking about LR :lol

Ah, sorry. Lightning was and when you commented on the high scores from Famitsu I assumed because of the score they gave it compared to western scores.

Boulayman

gregor7777 said:
Check out the official thread. Pretty positive impressions there from the people who've actually played a game I won't mention. The game I won't mention won't get any positive feedback in Sony hives I'm sure, given it's release status.

It's a let down in a technical sense, in more than one way, but it doesn't affect the gameplay in the least. Particularly if it's installed. Dramatic improvement, which PS3 owners will see obviously.

Ah, sorry. Lightning was and when you commented on the high scores from Famitsu I assumed becaus o f the score they gave it compared to western scores.

I do agree that the consensus in the official thread seemed to be that the game, despite its technical bugs (installation did help with those issues), the game was actually pretty good and got some good feedback form people that actually own the game.

Now, I, as a ps3 only owner, do not share your optimism about the ps3 port. I mean, they already had quite a hard time with the UE 3 on the 360, porting it to the ps3 will be very tough for them, and today or yesterday the lead guy for TLR said he'd rather develop on the 360 :(

Top Bottom