• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official White Knight Chronicles Thread

Cornbread78

LOVE & TRUTH said:
I really hope the game truly made 500k in the West and we're now entitled to get the second installment.

I also hope to get a free evening sometime and really work on my GR. *_*

I hope so as well!!!! Anyone have any sales numbers? It sold well around here, I know that.

hey, if your free Sat. add me and shoot me a PSN and I'll grind with you for a lil' bit.

Character name: Cornbread
PSN: Cornbread78

klee123

The armor in GR11 is not only a pain to bind, but also a pain to upgrade. I can't wait to see what the armor in GR12 is like :S

Cornbread78

Seeing as I'm GR6, I'm about 100 hours of gameplay from that. I guess I'll have to whore the Big Red mission over and over again for a few hours.

Steroyd

Suzzopher said:
Nice to see us Euros didn't get the quests you plucky Americans got :(

What quests?

Other than Heat Wave, I've got every other quest that's been in circulation including the 2 new ones that came yesterday or the day before.

Shadow780 said:
2a0q6g.jpg

cactuar.jpg

Darkone

I am thinking of buying the game, were there any patches that fixed main issues to the game??

i know there was a targeting issue that was complaint allot.

Cornbread78

Darkone said:
I am thinking of buying the game, were there any patches that fixed main issues to the game??

i know there was a targeting issue that was complaint allot.

I haven't logged on in a week or so, but there has been no real patches dropped for SP/MP that I have seen.

Hex

Banned
Picked up the game from Gamefly for 19.99 today, just throwing it out there for anyone else that may want it

Had a $5 dollar coupon for gamefly, so i got it for under $16 shipped. Every game Ive gotten from gamefly has been like new or at worst slightly used condition. Almost bought this one at $60, so at $16 despite needing a new game like a nail to the head, couldn't pass it up! Hope its good!

Cornbread78

TheApatheticOne said:
Had a $5 dollar coupon for gamefly, so i got it for under $16 shipped. Every game Ive gotten from gamefly has been like new or at worst slightly used condition. Almost bought this one at $60, so at $16 despite needing a new game like a nail to the head, couldn't pass it up! Hope its good!

Damn, that was a steal at that price!

daycru

I have a choice of WKC for $25 or FFXIII for $30. I generally prefer sprawling RPG's, kind of scared off by all the reports of FF being super linear. The online stuff sounds interesting, any similarities to PSO? WKC worth the cash?

daycru said:
I have a choice of WKC for $25 or FFXIII for $30. I generally prefer sprawling RPG's, kind of scared off by all the reports of FF being super linear. The online stuff sounds interesting, any similarities to PSO? WKC worth the cash?
Where are you getting WKC for $25?

Cornbread78

daycru said:

It's much more wide open and much moer to do then FFXIII, nopbody can argue with you about that. the SP is short, but after that, it is almost limitless, LOL.

Cornbread78

Alright, even though I have been playign BFBC2 and FFXIII like crazy, anyone up for a little online grind Sat. night? Around 10pm EST?

Someone has to still be playing this one, LOL.

garath

Just did the "keep it now" option from Gamefly for a whopping $7 after my discounts and two five dollar coupons.

I figure it was worth that at least lol.

I think I'm getting close to beating the game. The general rule of thumb is start new game+ before hopping online? Or should I start now?

Steroyd

garath said:
I think I'm getting close to beating the game. The general rule of thumb is start new game+ before hopping online? Or should I start now?

Get to at least GR7 online before you start a new game + because the weapons you get from chests are GR7/8 ranked, also the quests available to you are only available to you if you've got that far in the game, so if you start a fresh new game + before you hop online you'll only be able to play the Boot Camp mission online.

Well I found this cheap last week, and blasted through the SP twice, soloed a few of the early guild quests. I'm about to get serious about the guild rank/georama stuff but I have a few question.

Re: Reincarnation. Does this only work on my avatar, or can the other story characters reincarnate? Also even after finishing the NG+ my highest level character (Leonard) is only lvl 40. Looking at the exp requirements, the way the requirements are scaling and the amount of exp I'm currently earning from enemies, it's probably going to take a stupidly long time to hit the cap, any grinding tips to reduce that time?

Cornbread78

I'm doing a similiar thing now, you have to reincarnate abut 4 times of so in order to get the trophy on mastering each skill once for your avatar..

Steroyd

Die Squirrel Die said:
Well I found this cheap last week, and blasted through the SP twice, soloed a few of the early guild quests. I'm about to get serious about the guild rank/georama stuff but I have a few question.

Re: Reincarnation. Does this only work on my avatar, or can the other story characters reincarnate? Also even after finishing the NG+ my highest level character (Leonard) is only lvl 40. Looking at the exp requirements, the way the requirements are scaling and the amount of exp I'm currently earning from enemies, it's probably going to take a stupidly long time to hit the cap, any grinding tips to reduce that time?

Only for the Avatar.

For the story characters there's really no point hitting the cap.

Depending on your GR rank, sometimes it's quicker to do some of the online quests offline, particularly the ones with the Basilisks in them. For example I'm GR9 and I go into the Azure Dragon II quest and kill the Basilisks which give me over 700xp per kill, I do that till I'm level 45 and just do the quests online normally, unless I really hate the weapon skills I've leveled up.

if anyone is still playing this send me an FR...

I just got it today with my GAME reward points.... only cost me £4!!!

Genki-Rocket on the PSN....

cheers guys

Cornbread78

NinjaFusion said:
if anyone is still playing this send me an FR...

I just got it today with my GAME reward points.... only cost me £4!!!

Genki-Rocket on the PSN....

cheers guys

Where abouts are you located? I can jump on for a couple grinding missions on teh weekend?

Owzers

I need help...i put combos in my allies command bars, set them to go all out,and they won't use combos. What am i missing?

Diablos

Meant to post here last night, accidentally posted in the WKC2 thread...

I want to buy another RPG, but I don't know if I want this, Demon's Souls or 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've read and watched some reviews on WKC and they seem to put a lot of emphasis on the single-player campaign being quite predictable and eventually redundant, but I couldn't help but think that had this been a Final Fantasy, or at the very least, Square-Enix title, that it would have got a better review.

I really like what appears to be the open-world nature of this game. After playing FFXIII, which I did enjoy, I want something with an open world. Online quests look really fun. But is the single-player portion as mediocre as reviews suggest?

As for the story... well, it's a JRPG. Seems like typical "save the Princess" fare which is fine by me.

What about the battle system? Is it more akin to say, gambits, or are you executing things on the field as you battle?

Cornbread78

Diablos said:
Meant to post here last night, accidentally posted in the WKC2 thread...

I want to buy another RPG, but I don't know if I want this, Demon's Souls or 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've read and watched some reviews on WKC and they seem to put a lot of emphasis on the single-player campaign being quite predictable and eventually redundant, but I couldn't help but think that had this been a Final Fantasy, or at the very least, Square-Enix title, that it would have got a better review.

I really like what appears to be the open-world nature of this game. After playing FFXIII, which I did enjoy, I want something with an open world. Online quests look really fun. But is the single-player portion as mediocre as reviews suggest?

As for the story... well, it's a JRPG. Seems like typical "save the Princess" fare which is fine by me.

What about the battle system? Is it more akin to say, gambits, or are you executing things on the field as you battle?

The story can be pretty short (less then 50 hours) and does carry your typical jrpg theme of saving the princess by a teanage boy. I still felt intrigued to move forward and didnt get bored with it though. It is a lot more open then FFXIII but there is not really a whole lot to explore in the SP though, and I rarely found myself going backwards to previously visited levels for anything other then to recruite people I've met for my Geonet town. WKC clearly uses the Geaonet, (online MP) as a means of doing all the extra missions and exploring. Many of those missions I found both fun and challanging, (although a couple seemed very tedious)

Battle system wise, you control only one of the characters at a time, but you have an option to swith to another one if you choose. There is a preset amount of skill that you can unlock and add to your command bar, and you can add these for your party as well. You can also queue commands together and create Combos that can be used in battle. The over all battle speed can be very slow at times, but I still felt enganged and had fun throught the game and casting Haste helps as well.

Man, I'll have to go back and play through the NG+ soon and get some extra weapons and goodies to go back online with.... Fun times.

Suzzopher

Sorry for the uber bump. I just started to play the single player again after a few months away, started to get into it and really enjoy it actually, then in the Bunker Lode Caverns my AI team mates, just stopped attacking :/ Has this happened to anyone else before? I don't think I can continue the game with no AI support as I take way too much damage.

Cornbread78

Suzzopher said:
Sorry for the uber bump. I just started to play the single player again after a few months away, started to get into it and really enjoy it actually, then in the Bunker Lode Caverns my AI team mates, just stopped attacking :/ Has this happened to anyone else before? I don't think I can continue the game with no AI support as I take way too much damage.

It happened to me a couple times as well, luckily I was able to overcome it though. I really need to dig into the NG+ at some point, just too much backlog!

Suzzopher

Cornbread78 said:
It happened to me a couple times as well, luckily I was able to overcome it though. I really need to dig into the NG+ at some point, just too much backlog!

I'm an idiot, I accidentally pressed L3:lol Makes your team mates back off.

Do we know if the sequel is coming West?

Cornbread78

Suzzopher said:
I'm an idiot, I accidentally pressed L3:lol Makes your team mates back off.

Do we know if the sequel is coming West?

No idea, nothing that I've seen as of yet unfortunately, it was a long wait for the NA release of this one and sales weren't to hot, so I bet they are not to motivated to get it over here again...

Kagari, have you heard/seen anything on this?

klee123

Soooo, anyone here still play online?

Looking for some GR12+ players who are looking to reach GR15. This means tons and tons of BR3! Still, finding a few friends to play is better than teaming up with randoms most of the time.

Olaeh

So there are still people playing this online? I'm considering picking it up but was afraid the online community might be dead.

klee123

Olaeh said:
So there are still people playing this online? I'm considering picking it up but was afraid the online community might be dead.

There are still quite a few players playing constantly and you should have no problems finding a group of people who will team up with you.

Once you reach high levels though, it changes a bit....

Suzzopher

Finally got round to finishing this. I really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10 for me. Had some very obvious plot twists:lol but I enjoyed the story and the combat was solid enough. Also some of the areas look absolutely gorgeous.

I'd say it is my favourite traditional JRPG on home consoles this gen, but when you loot at the competition, it doesn't say much.

Any word on a Western release for White Knight 2? I am really up for more of this.

Ashodin

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I'm wondering if anyone on GAF still plays this. I'd like to group up and take out some quests together :D

I recently picked this up a week ago, really enjoy it.

Effect

Question. How did others handle Leonard in terms of skills and making sure he didn't blow through points so when you need to use the Knight you could? Just use him as the main character so you can directly control point gains? Put him in purely basic attack mode? Etc?

Does anyone know how the online still is? Active? Thinking of picking the game back up to finish it and mainly to see around with the town creation aspect (I'm a sucker for this type of thing). If I don't group to often that isn't to much of an issue but still curious.

klee123

Effect said:
Question. How did others handle Leonard in terms of skills and making sure he didn't blow through points so when you need to use the Knight you could? Just use him as the main character so you can directly control point gains? Put him in purely basic attack mode? Etc?

Does anyone know how the online still is? Active? Thinking of picking the game back up to finish it and mainly to see around with the town creation aspect (I'm a sucker for this type of thing). If I don't group to often that isn't to much of an issue but still curious.

To be honest, I just used my avatar and switched to Leonard when his AC was full during my first run of the game. Considering the online focus of WKC, you should be concentrating on your avatar the majority of the time. Assuming you're planning to reach GR15............

Online is still relatively active, it's not as active as compared to say 6 months ago, but there's still a decent number of people playing. A lot of them are at lower guild ranks too.

Just got a PS3 and I love JRPG's would you guys recommend this one? I played and loved Blue Dragon for the RPG elements and pretty graphics and kind of glossed over the story.

:lol

bubnbob

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
Just got a PS3 and I love JRPG's would you guys recommend this one? I played and loved Blue Dragon for the RPG elements and pretty graphics and kind of glossed over the story.

:lol

No, especially if you're looking for something like Blue Dragon

bubnbob said:
No, especially if you're looking for something like Blue Dragon

well I am not looking for something like Blue Dragon, I was just implying that bad stories wont diminish my enjoyment of the game as long as the game play aspect is fun.

thanks for the info though.

The game is decent. The world looks good, is big, and does have an adventure feel. The battle system may or may not be a deterrent for you. For some it can feel a bit too automated and boring, since basically your just queuing up moves. Kind of like an mmo. You may get into the combo system which requires some timed button pressing. As for character development. Well pretty much all characters are black slates. That's kind of cool. And you can pick their abilities from several categorizes. So basically you can make them anyway you want them. The game is easy, but so was Blue Dragon, so that may not be a problem.

Rahxephon91 said:
The game is decent. The world looks good, is big, and does have an adventure feel. The battle system may or may not be a deterrent for you. For some it can feel a bit too automated and boring, since basically your just queuing up moves. Kind of like an mmo. You may get into the combo system which requires some timed button pressing. As for character development. Well pretty much all characters are black slates. That's kind of cool. And you can pick their abilities from several categorizes. So basically you can make them anyway you want them. The game is easy, but so was Blue Dragon, so that may not be a problem.

thanks for the info, I think I'm going to give a try.

Sorry for bumping an old thread to the top, but online friends and I are having a hard time figuring out how to get downloadable items/equipment as well as new low-level quests.

I checked PSN and the only thing I saw was a $5.00 ripoff that allows you to customize your avatar after starting the game. Any help will be much appreciated.

klee123

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Sorry for bumping an old thread to the top, but online friends and I are having a hard time figuring out how to get downloadable items/equipment as well as new low-level quests.

I checked PSN and the only thing I saw was a $5.00 ripoff that allows you to customize your avatar after starting the game. Any help will be much appreciated.

The thing about WKC is that almost every piece of armor and weapon has to be binded. There is no such option of buying a "special" weapon/armor on PSN to give yourself a head start on the game.

My only tip for you is to finish the single player mode and play through new game+ to get all of the advanced items which are scattered in many treasure boxes. I know gamefaqs is often frowned upon at neogaf, but this list is quite useful for new players:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/935684-white-knight-chronicles-international-edition/49249122

My self I'm practically done with WKC after 1200 hours worth of playing. The game makes it really worthwhile when you have friends.

Grinchy

Banned
Reading the positive comments makes me think about putting FFXIII up on Amazon and use the money I get to buy WKC. I can't really justify it otherwise as it'll likely become part of my backlog anyway. That's better than using FFXIII as target practice for my friend's new AK47, though.

klee123

The only thing I can say with regards to WKC is that your enjoyment with the game really depends on how much you're willing to devote to the online mode.

Single player mode in my opinion is just above average and I consider it as a tutorial to online mode. You can complete the single player mode in around 15-20 hours, so it really doesn't take that long to complete. Online mode though can last you from 700-2000+ hours easy, but it depends on what you want out of online mode as well.

Top Bottom