• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official White Knight Chronicles Thread

Cornbread78

rykomatsu said:
WKC2 info, supposedly, in this week's Famitsu (JPN release)

Summer 2010 release
New character, Miu, voiced by Kugimiya Rie
Battle gauge has been sped up
Dash has been added
Changing seasons and weather

Nice, with the sped up guage, and I'm really interested in changing seasons and weather and how they incorporate this into the online mode and gameplay.

Will they allow any carryover from your current online Geonet?

animlboogy:
- Is it worth getting this game to play almost exclusively online? I just got a PS3 and I've had my eye on this one for awhile.

Well in order to platinum this game, be prepared to play about 150- 200 hours online already, so yes, it would be worth it. The main story isn't too long, (I'm almost done, LOL) I wanted to finihs the story before I really started hitting the online hard, so I can S rank almost all the missions in succession.

JudgeN

Fuck, it looks like they did not update the graphic engine. O well maybe they will stabilize the frame rate this time around

Cornbread78

JudgeN said:
Fuck, it looks like they did not update the graphic engine. O well maybe they will stabilize the frame rate this time around

The only issue I've come accross at time is with teh camera if your playable character's back is against a wall sometimes the camera goes haywire, outside of that, I haven't seen too many issues..

UFRA

rykomatsu said:
WKC2 info, supposedly, in this week's Famitsu (JPN release)

Summer 2010 release
New character, Miu, voiced by Kugimiya Rie
Battle gauge has been sped up
Dash has been added
Changing seasons and weather

FUCK. I read this wrong at first and thought it was going to be an update to the current WKC.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

I got all excited over nothing. :( Oh well, hopefully it doesn't take 2 years to release to the rest of the world this time!!

Cornbread78 said:
Well in order to platinum this game, be prepared to play about 150- 200 hours online already, so yes, it would be worth it. The main story isn't too long, (I'm almost done, LOL) I wanted to finihs the story before I really started hitting the online hard, so I can S rank almost all the missions in succession.

it's more like 1000 hours.

How do I pull off combos? I don't understand when exactly I'm supposed to hit an X button. I end up mashing it and sometimes all hits in a combo connect.

you're supposed to hit the attack button when the circle lights up for extra damage. you can also watch your attack animation and hit X on impact, try listening to sound cues for extra help.

i think combos are lots of fun in this game.

Cornbread78

Augemitbutter said:
you're supposed to hit the attack button when the circle lights up for extra damage. you can also watch your attack animation and hit X on impact, try listening to sound cues for extra help.

i think combos are lots of fun in this game.

They are a lot of fun and you can pre-formulate many of them and add elemental attacks in the mix to take advantage of certain levels with specific elemental enemies.

klee123

This game has ruined my gaming plan from feb till may ever since I got it.

I've got yakuza 3, FFXIII and Resonance of fate arriving next week via mail, but yet I still haven't touched any of them.

I'm on to GR10 and I still can't see myself stopping. I guess I am insane.

Cornbread78

klee123 said:

I've got yakuza 3, FFXIII and Resonance of fate arriving next week via mail, but yet I still haven't touched any of them.

LOL, no your not insane, just addicted, LOL. I've barely scratched the surface of teh online missions, but the ones I've done so far have been fun. I've realized it's hard to get an S rank on even teh easiest missions, if you aren't doing them with other though.

FFXIII and Star Ocean are still in the holding deck for me, eventually I'll get to them.

Steroyd

Sweet jesus and mary, I appreciate Level 5 adding more quests to keep the online fresh, but the newest one is so hard at the recommended level, I'm starting to think it's a survival type quest. o_O

klee123 said:

oh, i remember that time very well.

i don't know how i got out of that loop, but it wasn't so easy heh.

Cornbread78

Augemitbutter said:
oh, i remember that time very well.

i don't know how i got out of that loop, but it wasn't so easy heh.

The game is just friggen' addictive. I wish I had more time to play it exclusively, I'm just cought between playing it alone and playing MW2 and BFBC2 with my friends online...

Cornbread78

Question:

Has anyone else not gotten trophies they shoudl have for this game as of yet?

I definately should have the below, but nothing has popped up yet.

- Bronze Star (Bronze) A medal awarded to the one who has mastered a single skill. The bronze radiance reflects its bearer's heart.

- Red Embroidered Purse (Bronze) A new purse for the one who has amassed 100,000 Gilda. The inside is filled with our hopes.

- Silver Horns (Silver) A testament to the one who has defeated 3,000 Monsters. An ornament in the form of a beast's horns.

- Weapon Mania (Silver) A testament to the one who has collected 200 Pieces of Equipment. An ornament in the form of a silver sword.

- Item Searcher (Bronze) A testament to the one who has collected 100 Items. An ornament in the form of a bronze sack.

I think I've gotten 4 total trophies so far and I'm at the end fo the game and I'm already at GR5 and and my Bind Level 6... WTF?

Steroyd

I think the skill thing is for your avatar, I know I didn't get that trophy till my avatar mastered a skill, despite Leonard being the first to master one.

That said I don't think I've got the silver trophy for getting S ranks (25 i think).

And adding people inside the game is annoying, I think I sent you a friends request inside geonet cornbread.

Cornbread78

Steroyd said:
I think the skill thing is for your avatar, I know I didn't get that trophy till my avatar mastered a skill, despite Leonard being the first to master one.

That said I don't think I've got the silver trophy for getting S ranks (25 i think).

And adding people inside the game is annoying, I think I sent you a friends request inside geonet cornbread.

Damn, I didn't even think about that, they may all be linked to my avatar....WTF.

I'll take a look tonight before I go to my other job and add you.

Ricker

Did we get any numbers yet for sales in North America?...I stopped playing this a few weeks back,the online is not what I thought it was but I was still having fun with the SP,I`ll get back to it eventually(I was lost in a dungeon,on a puzzle,and the constant respawn got to me).

Cornbread78

Ricker said:
Did we get any numbers yet for sales in North America?...I stopped playing this a few weeks back,the online is not what I thought it was but I was still having fun with the SP,I`ll get back to it eventually(I was lost in a dungeon, on a puzzle, and the constant respawn got to me).

I heard it was between 500K-600k, but I haven't seen anything concrete.

Cornbread78

So I finally finished the main story of the game. I still have a lot of online grinding to do, but I made the mistake of poping in FFXIII yesterday, so it'll be awhile, LOL

So why did they cut the story so short? Seriously, they openly promote that this is a minimum of a two part story, Actually you can almost certainly imagine that this will become a multi-game series, which I'm fine with because they can go soooo many places with the story from back in the Dogma wars period, to the rise of Balandor, the queens death... so many time they can cover with this... Also, does anyone else think Sarvein and or Cyrus are the other main bad guys to focus on in the next installment? One of them is the "sleeping giant" you can tell

So, I've been following this game for a couple of years, it's out in the states and I usually stare at it longingly in the store. I'm a pretty big ARPG guy, I love the Sega Shining ARPGs, Warriors of the Lost Empire is one of my favorite PSP games, Torchlight is fabulous, played and loved the Chinese version of Demon's Souls, etc. I love running around a clobbering baddies over the head, then after x amount, I'll get a chime along with the words, "Level Up". Satisfying.

How does the game control? Does your character feel like they're running through sand? Are there delays between button pressing and the subsequent action? Can you combo moves or is it, "fill gauge, attack, retreat, fill gauge, attack, retreat"? Is the level system experience based or do you use points to upgrade specific stats?

What I'm getting at is... Should I take the dive?

Cornbread78

FrostuTheNinja said:
So, I've been following this game for a couple of years, it's out in the states and I usually stare at it longingly in the store. I'm a pretty big ARPG guy, I love the Sega Shining ARPGs, Warriors of the Lost Empire is one of my favorite PSP games, Torchlight is fabulous, played and loved the Chinese version of Demon's Souls, etc. I love running around a clobbering baddies over the head, then after x amount, I'll get a chime along with the words, "Level Up". Satisfying.
How does the game control? Does your character feel like they're running through sand? Are there delays between button pressing and the subsequent action? Can you combo moves or is it, "fill gauge, attack, retreat, fill gauge, attack, retreat"? Is the level system experience based or do you use points to upgrade specific stats?
What I'm getting at is... Should I take the dive?

Well, this is a "turn based" RPG and not your classic hack n' slash. It plays more like Final Fantasy 12 in terms of battle, and it has an online MMO (mission based) aspect as well. You can build up AC (action Chips) wich if you save enough up, you can perform chain attacks to use in battle.

The game was a lot of fun, (pretty short story) and very interesting. The characters are not very annoying for the most part. You do gain EXP from battle to battle, but you decide how you develope each character, including your own "avatar" that you create and play all your online missions with. Once you level up you are issued skill points that you use to level up certain weapon skills, such as (swords, heavy swords, Axe, Elemental magic, Divinity magic, etc) and from there unlocks skill increase (HP+, MP+, INT+, etc)

Speaking of your avatar, the only drawback to the avatar, is that he/she is just a waste of space throughout the story, I wish they added that individual into the story more. Most likely the game will turn out to be a series of games IMO (WKC2 has already been announced). There is so much to do in this game outside of the story, it's incredible though, especially with all the online stuff, however, if your looking for a platinum trophy, your looking easily at 200-300+ hours of online grinding.

All in all, really fun game to play, good story although a little short, obviously so they could save room for WKC2, and an awesome online aspect to play with friends. I think this game is very underrated overall, I'm having a lot of fun with it, even after the story is done. Feel free to PM me addidtional questions, sorry if this was choppy, I'm working at teh same time:D

Juras

Question for German players:do your country release include full english ingame text and dub? ( I do not care about cover and book)
THX for patience.

Steroyd

Ugh... just found out the master all 8 skills means for your avatar, you don't have to learn them all at once, when you master a skill a star is by it, even after you re-incarnate, this is going to be so annoying, because I've only farmed bind items for the sword specifically, and not having divine spells is going to be one hell of a crotch.

I might as well get the Staff and the Bow out of the way first. :/

Lain

I bought and started playing this some days ago and, while I had fun in the time I spent with the game (the battle system is pretty nice), I was disappointed by the tearing going on in the field and in the city.
It was a big letdown.
There's also the thing about the plot with
the way the princess gets kidnapped, it was completely stupid
which killed my mood.

Yeah. I returned this to the rental place within three days. I found it utterly uncaptivating :( Which is sad, because I was kind of looking forward to it. Level 5 are capable of so much more.

Cornbread78

Lain said:
I bought and started playing this some days ago and, while I had fun in the time I spent with the game (the battle system is pretty nice), I was disappointed by the tearing going on in the field and in the city.
It was a big letdown.
There's also the thing about the plot with
the way the princess gets kidnapped, it was completely stupid
which killed my mood.

Would you rather her have been
bound, raped, tortured, then carried away by the Magi, only to be sent away as a sex slave to the Knights for the years to come?
A little generic yes, but pulled off in the context of the presentation.

Perfection is rare, take away a few of the minor flaws, this really is a great game, It grew on me the more I played it, that's for sure. It's the only RPG of it's kind on the market as of right now, so what benchmark is there to compare it to?

Lain

Cornbread78 said:
Would you rather her have been
bound, raped, tortured, then carried away by the Magi, only to be sent away as a sex slave to the Knights for the years to come?
A little generic yes, but pulled off in the context of the presentation.

No (although that would have made a rather interesting doujinshi for sure), but I just can't get drawn in a scene in which
everyone just suddenly forgets about the princess, which they were trying to protect, leaving her alone and behind, because they are in awe with the White Knight, so the evil doers have such an easy time kidnapping her
. I just found that to be a really stupid setup which ruined the mood.

Now that doesn't mean the game sucks. My post sounded negative, but I like what I played. It's just that I was disappointed with the tech flaws and the way that setup in the story was played.

Cornbread78

Lain said:
No (although that would have made a rather interesting doujinshi for sure), but I just can't get drawn in a scene in which
everyone just suddenly forgets about the princess, which they were trying to protect, leaving her alone and behind, because they are in awe with the White Knight, so the evil doers have such an easy time kidnapping her
. I just found that to be a really stupid setup which ruined the mood.

Now that doesn't mean the game sucks. My post sounded negative, but I like what I played. It's just that I was disappointed with the tech flaws and the way that setup in the story was played.

Alright, I'll give you that that was a little wierd, it's not the only time something liek that happened. They could have been a little more creative there, maybe incorporate a couple of my ideas :lol but have them use one of those TMNT smoke bombs or something...

Tailzo

^The story is not good, none of the characters are really memorable and it is too easy. So I wouldn't recommend the game for singleplayer only. I did enjoy it though.

Cornbread78

Kerrinck said:
This has probably been asked before but is this game worth it for the single player only?

hmm, it's going to be easy and only about 40 or so hours to complete. Although some burst out in hate for it, I actually found it pretty interesting. They could have really extended it, but you really find out why at the end of it. I would buy it used if you are not going to take it online, but if you do all of the online missions, it's a definate pick up, It last for 250 hours+. Yes there is a lot of grinding involved, btu I found the gameplay fun and you can change everything up frequently.

Cornbread78

Anyone still playing this that has a mic? I wanted to do some mindless grinding for an hour of so on Sat. night (around 10pm EST) as a break from my normal FFXIII and BFBC2.

It's always better to yack it up with someone while playing.

Tailzo said:
^The story is not good, none of the characters are really memorable and it is too easy. So I wouldn't recommend the game for singleplayer only. I did enjoy it though.

Eh, see I enjoyed WKC more than I did with FFXIII. WKC is the quintessential JRPG, NPCs, Towns, Save the World etc etc.

And it is amazing.

Shadow780

TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, see I enjoyed WKC more than I did with FFXIII. WKC is the quintessential JRPG, NPCs, Towns, Save the World etc etc.

And it is amazing.

2a0q6g.jpg

Le-mo

TheChillyAcademic said:

And it is amazing.

Lol

I agree 100%

I really hope the game truly made 500k in the West and we're now entitled to get the second installment.

I also hope to get a free evening sometime and really work on my GR. *_*

Top Bottom