• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 just got Photomode update

Jigolo

I don't think it can be stressed enough and I've said this countless times before but man RaDs artistic decision with film grain and vignette was a bad one. They made their game look worse with all that stuff. I thought maybe they did it not just as an artistic choice but also to hide some things (jaggies, bad textures,etc) but boy was I wrong. I'm sitting here loading up some chapters with all that turned to 0% and this shit just looks on another level entirely, my jaw was down the whole time. I think I'm going to do a complete play through on Easy and just enjoy the visuals. The difference is staggering in my opinion. The IQ, colors, textures, everything looks better. I know it's hard to believe but the game looks even better than it did yesterday, I just wish I had a capture card because PS4 share sucks so much ass.

These are all in-game with vignette and film grain at 0
theorder_1886_2015041mpusi.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041nxuph.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041t2ubr.jpg

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The game is gorgeous and I found it a fun play through. Too short and not enough value for $59.99. I do hope there is a sequel that expands on this game and ads more length and replayability.

I'm still blown away by the visuals. Best graphics in the history of the world so far, when it comes to AAA.

Now all we need is a horde mode so we can get more use out of those amazing looking environments.

Ricky_R

Man, whoever doubted this game would look as good without all the post processing effects has a lot of crow to eat.

It looks nuts.

Holy crap. I was waiting for a good reason to replay the game (other than I really enjoyed it) and this will be that reason. Thanks RAD.

BokehKing

Banned
I need to get this back from my friend, now lol, I can mess with this for hours, I want a screen grab of
the lycan ripping her throat out if you hesitate too long to fire your rifle while chasing it through the street

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Eggbok's gif blew my mind. I already loved the look of that sequence, especially when the Arc Lance fires, so that gif is perfect.

benzy

Yeah, you're right. Character models in cut-scenes look better.

Btw, that last shot looks great.

Thanks. Man, I keep mixing you up with Shinobi due to your avatar.

so it's not identical in cut scene compared to gameplay segments, like rad always has stated....:/

"there's no difference between cutscene and gameplay" is different to "additional light sources" in cutscene, if this is true of course....

That's just the nature of pre-baked lighting. It would have been a huge misstep if they just let certain scenes play out as is without adding those additional light sources to help illuminate the characters better, and it's not like they're just going to have these ghost lamps follow you around during gameplay. RAD's comments still hold true considering you can still get gameplay lighting to match cutscene lighting, it just depends on where the characters are relative to the real-time gameplay light sources.

Can you tell me which is cutscene and which is gameplay?

pvwlki.jpg

iqkezu.jpg

zcnoky.jpg

gmorys.jpg

Really hope they let us make our own wallpapers soon, so many great shots from photomode. (As well as some straight up amazing ones already here)

HTupolev

"there's no difference between cutscene and gameplay" is different to "additional light sources" in cutscene, if this is true of course....
Really? This is just photography, changing the lighting environment to best suit the needs of each shot. We're not talking about cranking up graphical settings here, just having the artists take advantage of the known camera position. As far as the engine is concerned, this isn't particularly different from having dynamic lights pop in and out of existence in a firefight, except that it's scripted rather than player-controlled.

Skux

Took a bunch of shots, this one's my favourite. Love how the rain stays on Galahad and even affects the light:

xGFb8io.png

The crossbow sight does not seem to react to DoF and exposure settings. However you can get a cool look if you set your DoF around it just right:

hHKoJjF.png

Some lovely bokeh in Tesla's lab:

ERrcOeC.png

Gono

Banned
Finished the game a week ago and took like 500 screenshots, game looks amazing.. Guess it's time to replay.

orioto

Good Art™
Sorry to ask but i'm confused with that PS4 screen capture thing. The usb method is a problem for me cause my usb key has a shape that doesn't go well with PS4 design..

But how in hell do i share it directly from the PS4 ?? I use the share button, then triangle to save it. But after that the console only allow me to copy it via usb, not to share it online.. Am i missing something ?

shmoglish

Sorry to ask but i'm confused with that PS4 screen capture thing. The usb method is a problem for me cause my usb key has a shape that doesn't go well with PS4 design..

But how in hell do i share it directly from the PS4 ?? I use the share button, then triangle to save it. But after that the console only allow me to copy it via usb, not to share it online.. Am i missing something ?
Try this

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5053/~/take-and-share-ps4-screenshots

i-Lo

I don't think it can be stressed enough and I've said this countless times before but man RaDs artistic decision with film grain and vignette was a bad one. They made their game look worse with all that stuff. I thought maybe they did it not just as an artistic choice but also to hide some things (jaggies, bad textures,etc) but boy was I wrong. I'm sitting here loading up some chapters with all that turned to 0% and this shit just looks on another level entirely, my jaw was down the whole time. I think I'm going to do a complete play through on Easy and just enjoy the visuals. The difference is staggering in my opinion. The IQ, colors, textures, everything looks better. I know it's hard to believe but the game looks even better than it did yesterday, I just wish I had a capture card because PS4 share sucks so much ass.

These are all in-game with vignette and film grain at 0
theorder_1886_2015041mpusi.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041nxuph.jpg

theorder_1886_2015041t2ubr.jpg

These are much better representation of visuals during gameplay and it's just fantastic. I agree that the vignetting was unnecessary but I loved the noise/grain filter. It added a certain grit to the entire scene.

luca_29_bg

Thanks. Man, I keep mixing you up with Shinobi due to your avatar.

That's just the nature of pre-baked lighting. It would have been a huge misstep if they just let certain scenes play out as is without adding those additional light sources to help illuminate the characters better, and it's not like they're just going to have these ghost lamps follow you around during gameplay. RAD's comments still hold true considering you can still get gameplay lighting to match cutscene lighting, it just depends on where the characters are relative to the real-time gameplay light sources.

Can you tell me which is cutscene and which is gameplay?

pvwlki.jpg

iqkezu.jpg

zcnoky.jpg

gmorys.jpg

ah ok thanks for the explanation, with photomode i can't tell what is a cutscene and what is not :D

luca_29_bg

Really? This is just photography, changing the lighting environment to best suit the needs of each shot. We're not talking about cranking up graphical settings here, just having the artists take advantage of the known camera position. As far as the engine is concerned, this isn't particularly different from having dynamic lights pop in and out of existence in a firefight, except that it's scripted rather than player-controlled.

yeah i know how things works, i suppose that with real time lighting the problem would be solved from the start, right ?

Skux

The best part of this is the exposure control. You can turn night into day with it and give whole levels a completely different feel.

The Order looks incredible, easily the best looking game right now imo.

I haven't messed with photo mode yet... some of the pics here made me realize again that the game looks sick !!

The Order is a great game, the gameplay is almost perfect, the game only needs more modes and some stuff to make us comeback to it more often.

Javin98

Banned
Damn, I am glad that RaD released this update. The game looks even better now without the excessive post processing. The IQ definitely looks sharper based on the pics here. I'm definitely going to turn the post processing down to 0 when I eventually get this game
and a PS4 :p
. I always thought the game looked a tad too blurry, although it fits the art style.

It's going to remain that way for a while. I don't think anything is even going to come close this year.
I was going to disagree with you there for a while but then I remembered that Uncharted 4 is now a 2016 game. ;)

I was just coming here to post this...Time for a 3rd playthrough, I was hoping for a photomode. Now just give us some Dlc and I can die happy !

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Okay this is amazing. You can keep the settings while playing the game. So no more film grain. This is especially amazing because one Gaffer tried to convince everyone that RAD put these effects in the game because PS4 would be to weak to display a clean IQ. Well my friend, now you can do it without the needing of a PC version. ;)

Ah good point. I do remember people saying that.

Top Bottom