• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 main characters run over 100K polys each

Radec

Thats what I'm thinking. Boasting that a game runs 100,000 polygons when at one point in the video the frame rate looked like shit,running well below 30 frames,probably around 20 at its lowest point. The OP comes off sounding like a shill because he ignores this games problems. Its like trying to sell you a car that has the sweetest paint job. Its got 100,000 specs of cherry red paint! Meanwhile the car can't make it out of the parking lot without stauling a few times. Let them fix the frame rate then then come back and boast about the polygons.

dat post history.

no wonder you say things like this.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly? Given the numbers the characters don't look too impressive, light and effects make them look more realistic but imo the models are not that good for the complexity they have.

EDIT:
It should include weapons, clothing (the cloth looked highly smooth).
For reference, Drake from Uncharted 2 was 37k without guns, Chloe was 43k.

Ayane from Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (a 60FPS game), the weapons took a lot of poly.

Default outfit with weapons 106,763 polygons, yes these are MUCH higher than Marius and this was on 360 and PS3

Secondary outfit with weapons 111,483 polygons
if true than i deny what i have just said, that's look like a waste of complexity, it doesn't look nowhere near as good as Marius or The Order characters.

Thats what I'm thinking. Boasting that a game runs 100,000 polygons when at one point in the video the frame rate looked like shit,running well below 30 frames,probably around 20 at its lowest point.

You'll have a hard time finding a game with a solid framerate 6-8 months prior to release.

I can't wait for multiplatform games to leave last gen behind and have more polygons in environments (not just tesselating the shit out of a tree or a valve as added bells and whistles)

crysis 3 would have looked so much better if the environments didn't look so last gen polygon budget wise
Look at this 20.000 polygon tree! but don't look at the 200 polygon reactor room

These character models look very good, maybe now that 'diminishing returns' nonsense for geometry can go away

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't wait for multiplatform games to leave last gen behind and have more polygons in environments (not just tesselating the shit out of a tree or a valve as added bells and whistles)

crysis 3 would have looked so much better if the environments didn't look so last gen polygon budget wise
Look at this 20.000 polygon tree! but don't look at the 200 polygon reactor room

These character models look very good, maybe now that 'diminishing returns' nonsense for geometry can go away
Completely agree. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at what these consoles are able to do once PS3/360 get dropped.

Loudninja

Honestly? Given the numbers the characters don't look too impressive, light and effects make them look more realistic but imo the models are not that good for the complexity they have.

EDIT:

if true than i deny what i have just said, that's look like a waste of complexity, it doesn't look nowhere near as good as Marius or The Order characters.
Huh? they look fantastic.

RAD are definitely a talented studio, but seeing what can be achieved, less than one year in, by a former PSP dev has left me choking to see Uncharted.

MercuryLS

Banned
RAD are definitely a talented studio, but seeing what can be achieved, less than one year in, by a former PSP dev has left me choking to see Uncharted.

They've been working on this for 3 years (since 2011 I believe). Naughty Dog will no doubt melt minds, that said, I can't imagine they can blow away The Order from a visuals standpoint. This game looks outstanding.

I'm just happy that Sony is working with another developer on PS4 that can make games at the same level as ND. Hopefully Sony brings them into SWWS at some point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't pixel density what we care about when we talk resolutions? If the pixel density of the picture between the bars is 1080p without upscaling, then I believe we should call this 1080p*
* = with black bars.

That's the way I look at it, but the disagreements stem from resolution being considered from two different perspectives. If people want to argue about whether the resolution is "technically impressive" or whatever, they talk about how it's actually missing pixels compared to a standard 1080p picture, therefore the game shouldn't be counted among true 1080p games.

If we're talking about image quality (which I think is obviously more important, but others are entitled to disagree) then the game is equal to a 1080p game in the way that matters and the black bars are irrelevant. Of course you can slippery slope that argument and posit an absurd example in which a game is 90% black bars with the equivalent pixel density of 1080p. I think that's pointless as it will never happen, but it illustrates a technical flaw in this particular conception of resolution.

I think both perspectives are defensible and the problem stems from people talking past each other with these different perspectives without being fully aware of them.

angrygnat

I don't like it when they come out with info like this. 95% of the populace (me included) don't really know how this affects gameplay, other than to a point, more is better. So if it is later released that the characters only have 90K polygons, most will look at it as a negative. I saw how Ryse got unjustly hammered for that. I think its best to let the game speak for itself.

That's the way I look at it, but the disagreements stem from resolution being considered from two different perspectives. If people want to argue about whether the resolution is "technically impressive" or whatever, they talk about how it's actually missing pixels compared to a standard 1080p picture, therefore the game shouldn't be counted among true 1080p games.

If we're talking about image quality (which I think is obviously more important, but others are entitled to disagree) then the game is equal to a 1080p game in the way that matters and the black bars are irrelevant. Of course you can slippery slope that argument and posit an absurd example in which a game is 90% black bars with the equivalent pixel density of 1080p. I think that's pointless as it will never happen, but it illustrates a technical flaw in this particular conception of resolution.

I think both perspectives are defensible and the problem stems from people talking past each other with these different perspectives without being fully aware of them.

It's really simple.

KZ:SF is full screen native 1080p.
BF4 is upscaled 1080p.
The Order is letterboxed native 1080p.

I don't see what the argument is? Your TV receives a native 1080p signal. The content is presented in a letterboxed format.

It's that simple.

Huh? they look fantastic.
They do. Only the ears bother me still. They look fine though for Isabeau.

They've been working on this for 3 years (since 2011 I believe). Naughty Dog will no doubt melt minds, that said, I can't imagine they can blow away The Order from a visuals standpoint. This game looks outstanding.

I'm just happy that Sony is working with another developer on PS4 that can make games at the same level as ND. Hopefully Sony brings them into SWWS at some point.
They should be able to beat RaD rather easily, but yeah "blowing away" sounds a bit too extreme at this point. It will get better and better, but at the end of the gen The Order will probably still look good enough. I imagine RaD likes to stay independent though. Sony shouldn't force anything.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's really simple.

KZ:SF is full screen native 1080p.
BF4 is upscaled 1080p.
The Order is letterboxed native 1080p.

I don't see what the argument is? Your TV receives a native 1080p signal. The content is presented in a letterboxed format.

It's that simple.

So you share my perspective that pixel density is the crucial element.

People with the other perspective will argue (correctly) that letterboxed 1080p requires fewer resources than full screen 1080p. If you are a person who cares very much about how "impressive" a technical achievement is, rather than strictly how the end result looks, you will say The Order is able to achieve better looking graphics because it's rendering fewer pixels and as a result you won't be as impressed as you would have been if it was rendering full screen 1080p.

It's not a matter of one perspective being right and the other wrong, it's that what you fundamentally care about (pixel density vs. absolute number of pixels rendered) determines your opinion on the matter. If people can clearly identify their own perspective then these arguments will cease and everyone can just be comfortable in their own preferences/values for what aspect of resolution matters to them.

Jac_Solar

Does that number include the clothes? Or is that a separate entity?

That number does sound quite high, but unless they post an identical comparison video/gif/pictures, except with less and more polygons, we won't know if they've hit a point of diminishing returns. Most character models, or no character models in a game aren't just the result of a certain number of polygons -- it's a combination of polygons, mapping, shading, lighting and textures.

Me too. Look at this shot. I'm not even sure if it's in-game or pre-rendered, but what is up with his left ear lobe?! Looks low poly as well

The-Order-1886-SIGGRAPH-lecture-6.jpg

Case in point; that does not, necessarily, have anything to do with the amount of polygons. It's most likely a stretched texture. The more polygons, the smoother the area, and less means more jagged.

I think more polygons, in that range, is mostly useful for complex animation and such..

kyser73

You're in the wrong decade if you're still throwing around polycounts.

Someone asked Andrea a question on twitter and he answered. What's he supposed to do, say 'No, you're in the wrong decade to be asking that question.'?

I'm SHOCKED that no one pointed out how I mixed up left and right. I need to go back to kindergarten. Who's with me?

You've mastered the spelling of the word shocked, so I think you'll be fine.

The pic of Galahad running in the middle of that huge street with Lafayette shooting up into the rooftops is making my mouth water...and I've seen that trailer about a dozen times, I am so hyped. Give me all the polygons, Based Andrea Pessino

HeelPower

Those Ryse comments.

I can't help it.Its just very likely that this game will be PS4's Ryse.

Hopefully it will offer a better story with its intriguing cast.But the hallways are coming.

Me too. Look at this shot. I'm not even sure if it's in-game or pre-rendered, but what is up with his left ear lobe?! Looks low poly as well

The-Order-1886-SIGGRAPH-lecture-6.jpg

May be it's the black water
Yeah it's weird how hard it seems to get the ears right. You probably need a lot of polys to get them round. Most games suffer from this. Even The Last of Us had this problem:

the_last_of_us_5241kl6.jpg

They actually looked pretty good in Beyond for the main characters:

1920x-1mzkgm.jpg

58900623440ki6.jpg

But some side-characters had ugly ears again:

beyond_two_souls_ss_7cnkic.jpg

The Dark Sorcerer looks really good:

vlcsnap-2013-02-22-06i9j6m.png

Most hideous award goes to L.A. Noire:

zwischenablage0153jj4.jpg

It was an artistic choice at first but they realized later it came with a bonus of 4X MSAA. I'll deal with the bars for that trade off thank you. I played all of Beyond Two Souls and didn't even notice the bars. Those bars will not be noticeable after a few minutes of playing but aliasing will be in your face the whole time you play.

Damn straight. I didn't notice the black bars in Beyond either.

Everybody watches movies with a 2.35 aspect ratio and I've never once heard someone complain, "Argh, those damn bars!"

Loudninja

Those Ryse comments.

I can't help it.Its just very likely that this game will be PS4's Ryse.

Hopefully it will offer a better story with its intriguing cast.But the hallways are coming.
I wish people stop saying this because it does not make sense.

Also again with the hallway comments.

Jac_Solar

I'm SHOCKED that no one pointed out how I mixed up left and right. I need to go back to kindergarten. Who's with me?

I just assumed you meant your left. And the "low poly" area, like you said seems, like it's by design (As in, mimicking an ear, not a lowered polycount.), but maybe not.

Thats what I'm thinking. Boasting that a game runs 100,000 polygons when at one point in the video the frame rate looked like shit,running well below 30 frames,probably around 20 at its lowest point. The OP comes off sounding like a shill because he ignores this games problems. Its like trying to sell you a car that has the sweetest paint job. Its got 100,000 specs of cherry red paint! Meanwhile the car can't make it out of the parking lot without stauling a few times. Let them fix the frame rate then then come back and boast about the polygons.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I noticed any frame rate drops from the gameplay snippets that has been released. IGN folks however mentioned the build they got to see had performance issues and the developers immediately acknowledged that it will be fixed then and there and nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom