• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

(Sorry for quoting from another thread, but it was closed before I could post in it and I want to clarify things - hope it doesn't get me banned.)

Hi guys! :p

I'm gonna offer you a detailed breakdown of my playtime with the game since you brought me up into this discussion.

It took me almost 10 hours to finish the game (from 12:45 from 22:30) on normal mode without aim assist. But I also took a lunch break of almost 30 minutes and another small break of 15 minutes. So that's somewhere around 9 hours.

I got the first trophy after almost 2 hours of gameplay.

I didn't rush through the game at all. I explored every possible zone in the game. I have admired and took pictures (that gore picture that is around the internet is made by me, I even posted here on GAF). I listened to all pedestrians conversations. I got almost all collectables except for 2 (I would also like to point out that the game doesn't keep track of your collectables somewhere so I didn't know where to search for them). I even restarted some checkpoints intentionally where there were a lot of enemies to get some combat related trophies.

After finishing the game I took a 2 hour break I think. And then restarted the game on easy in order to find the missing collectables. After some chapters of playing I remembered a I didn't get to explore a room completely because a cinematic was triggered and it got me out of the room. Fortunately, the last collectables where in that room.

Yes, the game is pretty short. I think someone can even finish it in 7-8 hours on their first playthrough if they don't go after trophies/collectables, just following the objective.

If you guys have any other questions I am here to answer. :)

Okay thanx.
That seems to be how it is then.

Now how would YOU rate the game?

cackhyena

As long as the gameplay to cutscene ratio isn't like MGS4, I'll be okay. Funny that game was Neogaf GOTY yet The Order is getting trashed

You could fuck around till the cows come home in an area of MGS4, though. Plenty to play with. This isn't that type of game. This is coming from someone who really didn't like MGS4. I'd never have given that game goty, personally.

I'm not saying this has to be that type of game, but that many chapters with no game play? It's a video game. I can't hang with that. Not for anything near 60.

Sid

I don't really agree. Yes, they've shown cutscenes and it's known to be a "cinematic" game, but that doesn't mean anyone expected to be watching that many cutscenes during the game. Open with one, sure. Maybe transition between story points/environments, sure. But multiple chapters of the game in a row being nothing but cutscenes? Not even the likes of Uncharted does that. Gears of War has cutscenes too, but I think anyone would agree that you spend far, far more time playing than watching anything.
Exactly,heck God of War 3 is a cinematic game but it has around 30 minutes of cutscenes at best in a 9 hour first playthrough on normal difficulty.

As long as the gameplay to cutscene ratio isn't like MGS4, I'll be okay. Funny that game was Neogaf GOTY yet The Order is getting trashed

Make no mistake MGS4 has a shitload of cutscenes. It also has tons of gameplay and gameplay variety as well, and they're skippable. Metal Gear has always been one of those series with tons of cutscenes but also a lot of terrific gameplay and variety. You can spend so much time going through those environments, and especially if you're playing on harder difficulties there's tons of strategy that can be involved. While they have a lot of cutscenes, I've never felt as though they cut down on how much actual gameplay there would have been otherwise.

The Order is a linear third person shooter without even remotely the amount of density and things to do as in Metal Gear. I get where you're coming from, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison.

ReNeGaDe124

Any other modes besides SP? I know there's no mp but any other modes? But any arenas or other replay incentives other than collectibles?

Nothing. There is hard difficulty, but that is unlocked from the beginning. Though I would recommend starting directly on hard, normal is too easy. I saw an Armory section in the menu (I think it's for additional skins), but it was greyed out even after finishing the game. Probably only DLC/pre-order bonuses will appear there.

You're missing 4 chapters, not 2. There are 18 chapters including the epilogue and prologue. And if you're playing the game without doing any of the other stuff, that's akin to a speed run. I don't get why anyone would play it like that unless they basically intentionally wanted to rush through it.

As I mentioned before, you can complete Gears of War in an hour and a half, doesn't mean that's how much gameplay there is. Likewise with Uncharted at 1 hour, or Resident Evil 4 at 1 hour and a half too.

Dark Souls can be completed in an hour apparently.

Therefore:
The Order is (minimum) 5x better than Dark Souls. Confirmed.

I don't really agree. Yes, they've shown cutscenes and it's known to be a "cinematic" game, but that doesn't mean anyone expected to be watching that many cutscenes during the game. Open with one, sure. Maybe transition between story points/environments, sure. But multiple chapters of the game in a row being nothing but cutscenes? Not even the likes of Uncharted does that. Gears of War has cutscenes too, but I think anyone would agree that you spend far, far more time playing than watching anything.

Well we have a difference of perception then.
If you extend your comparison to the pre-release time, can you agree that what was shown was drastically different than anything about thoses two games?
Just remember the E3 video, or the one where they are on the top of a dirigible. Much more cinematic than Uncharted or Gears, and we know it since 8 months.
Sure, there is a difference between a chapter where you play a bit and a chapter fully cinematic. But the difference is only an indicator of the way they choose to cut the story into chapters. It's arbitrary and doesn't tell anything about the balance between cinematics and gameplay.

jett

D-Member
Why are these characters so awful.

They've been fighting together for literally centuries and won't even give Galahad the benefit of the doubt or a chance to explain himself.

Sure, there is a difference between a chapter where you play a bit and a chapter fully cinematic. But the difference is only an indicator of the way they choose to cut the story into chapters. It's arbitrary and doesn't tell anything about the balance between cinematics and gameplay.

What it boils down to is that when I'm playing a third person shooter like this or Gears of War, I don't want to spend a lot of time watching cutscenes. I want to be playing the game. I don't mind cutscenes but there are ways to go about telling your story without having so much of it.

Make no mistake MGS4 has a shitload of cutscenes. It also has tons of gameplay and gameplay variety as well, and they're skippable. Metal Gear has always been one of those series with tons of cutscenes but also a lot of terrific gameplay and variety. You can spend so much time going through those environments, and especially if you're playing on harder difficulties there's tons of strategy that can be involved. While they have a lot of cutscenes, I've never felt as though they cut down on how much actual gameplay there would have been otherwise.

The Order is a linear third person shooter without even remotely the amount of density and things to do as in Metal Gear. I get where you're coming from, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison.
MGS4 had two areas in the game you could explore. Sure you can do more in those areas but I think I would take The Order with more areas and tighter gunplay over MGS4's.

Alienous

They've been fighting together for literally centuries and won't even give Galahad the benefit of the doubt or a chance to explain himself.

It really is
weak. I think the implication is that Isabeau feels like a scorned lover , and assumed that Galahad is having it off with the resistance leader.

What it boils down to is thatwhen I'm playing a third person shooter like this or Gears of War, I don't want to spend a lot of time watching cutscenes. I want to be playing the game. I don't mind cutscenes but there are ways to go about telling your story without having so much of it.

I'd say The Order isn't for you then. It's billed a cinematic third person shooter. They are telling you what your gonna get. Cancel that preorder and game fly it if you still have curiosity.

What it boils down to is that when I'm playing a third person shooter like this or Gears of War, I don't want to spend a lot of time watching cutscenes. I want to be playing the game. I don't mind cutscenes but there are ways to go about telling your story without having so much of it.
This seems consistent with their vision for the game from the get-go, though (which some people were wary of). I can understand it being disappointing if you had expected something else, but at least they never promised anything different. It probably won't be for people wanting an experience like Gears of War.

Azdoune

That's how we will have games without scenario.

Sid

So what do you think of the story?

MGS4 had two areas in the game you could explore. Sure you can do more in those areas but I think I would take The Order with more areas and tighter gunplay over MGS4's.

Hm? You could explore every act except the last one, which was more straightforward, but every other act had pretty good environments with tons to do, see, and experiment with. Act 3 was a little on the "samey" end, environmentally, but there were still a lot of awesome gameplay opportunities. It was a pretty big game with tons of content. This is a relatively short and linear third person shooter. The amount of cutscenes are going to have much more of a dramatic push on the gameplay than any of the Metal Gear games due to the nature of the design.

I'd say The Order isn't for you then. It's billed a cinematic third person shooter. They are telling you what your gonna get. Cancel that preorder and game fly it if you still have curiosity.

You might be right, but I'm not writing it off right now. I'm waiting on more impressions before I decide how much money it's probably worth to me.

Well, the problem is probably you not seeing what the devs were aiming at, they didn't change their plans for the game.

The disappointement is often a sign a misinterpretation.

Did you check some "gameplay" on YT?

Noobcraft

A complete gameplay walkthrough on YouTube came in at:
Ep 1: 12:28
Ep 2: 29:23
Ep 3: 16:33
Ep 4: 46:01
Ep 5: 24:26
Ep 6: 32:42
Ep 7: 7:33
Ep 8: 6:42
Ep 9: 21:38
Ep 10: 43:08
Ep 11: 4:08
Ep 12: 44:16
Ep 13: 5:37
Ep 14: 5:18
Ep 15: 5:32
Ep 16: 10:49
Ep 17 (the end/boss/ch.18): 9:24

323 mins, which is about 5 hours 20 mins.

Sid

A complete gameplay walkthrough cutscenes included on YouTube came in at:
Ep 17 (the end/boss): 9:24

Anyone want to add that all up?
Difficulty?

Just watched some of the YouTube videos, the game really looks gorgeous in most of those places. I don't want to watch the whole playthrough but I'm wondering, what are the locales, the different levels you go through? It seems like it's mostly set in
very enclosed spaces, hallways, catacombs, sewers, caves, mines
etc. Is most of the game set in these kinds of locations?

Well, the problem is probably you not seeing what the devs were aiming at, they didn't change their plans for the game.

I'm just stating opinions here. It's totally fine if no one agrees, I'm just addressing why some people are put off by the number of cutscenes in the game, due to its reported length and the type of gameplay it's going for. If the game were incredibly meaty and dense with a lot of content I don't think anyone would mind the cutscenes so much as there would still be a lot of actual game to play, but when it's a point A to B shooter, the number and length of cutscenes can seriously have an impact on how much you feel that you're getting or not getting out of a $60 game.

Again I'm waiting this out to get a better consensus. I don't base purchasing decisions off of a few forum posts. This place may be full of negative Nancy's, but I'm not one of them. This is simply a real concern to me and I hope that it's not as bad as it sounds.

Ishan

roughly 320 min.

also for people who have completed the game

Massive late/end game spoilers do not click if you dont want to be spoiled.

so about the ending, wtf?? the chancellor threatens him with all you hold dear but wouldn't gallahad want to go sort things out with izzy at this point. two the ripper guy is a vampire and hes just completely forgotten ? gallahad just goes after lucan? the whole ending seems to rushed and doesn't tie up loose ends its like the have these 2-3 strands of story going on and they're like okay this seems like a cool ending of a chapter lets just stop the game here .

323 mins, which is about 5 hours 20 mins.

Is anyone surprised this turned into an interactive movie? mega regrets and buyers remorse inc shame i am going to buy ps4 just for bloodborne and nothing else great generation so far.

Middle East
Brazil
Eastern Europe on rails
Shadow Moses
Outer Haven

You insult MGS4 by comparing it with Order

rrc1594

Damn I really don't want to jump on the bandwagon,but I just watch YT video of chapter 2. Nothing happen really it was basically pure cut scenes. Still getting it but, damn man.

Sounds like if your planing on playing on HARD and grabbing notes, collectibles, etc it will be around the 8 to 10 hours. If your playing on normal and just running from point to point. 5 hours and some change.

nib95

Banned
Difficulty?

Unsure, but likely easy based on difficulty.

Another thing about the play through is that it completely ignores collectibles and viewables. It's really jarring the way he completely ignores the button prompts that prop up when there's something to pick up or look at.

5 hours 20 minutes is basically going to be a low difficulty, no frills or exploration, fairly rushed completion.

I'm just stating opinions here. It's totally fine if no one agrees, I'm just addressing why some people are put off by the number of cutscenes in the game, due to its reported length and the type of gameplay it's going for. If the game were incredibly meaty and dense with a lot of content I don't think anyone would mind the cutscenes so much as there would still be a lot of actual game to play, but when it's a point A to B shooter, the number and length of cutscenes can seriously have an impact on how much you feel that you're getting or not getting out of a $60 game.

Again I'm waiting this out to get a better consensus. I don't base purchasing decisions off of a few forum posts. This place may be full of negative Nancy's, but I'm not one of them. This is simply a real concern to me and I hope that it's not as bad as it sounds.

But i agree with you on the overall critic, the point being that it can't be a disappointement as it was expected.

Just like you, i'm not pleased with a 60 bucks game lasting less than 6 hours, most of it being cutscenes.

Alienous

We have our famed 18th chapter timings also. It's a minute long cutscene
that's a sequel tease.

Lordzap

Neo Member
So can I ask why the people originally talking about how much they liked the game never told us about any of this? I was really hyped for the game after their impressions but now I'm not so sure.

So since I'm not a trophy hunter, collectible hunter, or general stand around and look at objects type person. I'm only getting a COD level length out of this game?

I love that I don't have to comment cause brandonh is basically me. I understand what we are getting into with this game and I have made peace with it and I a, actually excited to play it. But unless the gunfights and set pieces are spectacular this probably won't be a favorite game of mine, and that is fine. I hate unskippable cutscenes, if they made some chapters cutscenes only so that you can "skip" them then that is a good idea.

And I am with Brandon on mgs4, not really the same thing at all.

Damn I really don't want to jump on the bandwagon,but I just watch YT video of chapter 2. Nothing happen really it was basically pure cut scenes. Still getting it but, damn man.

Ch2 is probably the worst playable chapter to watch for something exciting, it's basically James Bond walking around mi6.
Ch1 is much more representative of the game.

Alienous

Are we even sure this game has difficulty modes? I'm seeing the beginning of a German walkthrough and it doesn't look like there's an option.

link? pm me if you have it.

It's at the end of the last part of a playthrough, uploaded on Youtube.

But i agree with you on the overall critic, the point being that it can't be a disappointement as it was expected.

I haven't been following the game super closely. I knew that it was being made as a cinematic game, but again I think there's a difference between a game being cinematic and a game having a plethora of gameplay-interrupting cutscenes. It's like, am I buying this game because I want a game full of cutscenes or am I buying this game because I want a third person shooter? If I want a cutscene-driven game, why would I want any third person shooter elements? If I want a third person shooter, why would I want it to be full of cutscenes? I think something should be one thing or the other. You can do both, but when your shooter is frequently stopping you from doing that to watching cutscenes, it can be a jarring experience.

Random thoughts on the characters and how they're handled.

Pervical's death had no emotional weight to me. You never get to no him to see Galahad cry out over his death does nothing. They develop the relationship between Izzy and Galahad over the first 4 chapters. But they kill the character who has the least amount of development up to that point.

Lafeyette completely disappears from the game at the midway point. He takes the Percival name and then he has like 5 lines of dialogue for the rest of the game.

The one guy they showed in the PSX demo who looked like a bad guy and who was antagonizing Percival like a bad guy ending up being the bad guy was so obvious that I completely glossed over it because I figured they wouldn't go that route but they did.

Top Bottom