• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

cackhyena

I was hoping I'd be getting Gears like game play out of this. I don't know why. I know someone said at one point on here that there are levels that really open it up and that gave me hope.

amar212

I think this is the only one that hasn't devolved into people arguing with each other. Hopefully it stays that way :)

That is because all of us who actually have a game and play the game are mostly under embargo and we don't want to break the NDA.

Others that played the game and are not under embargo have given pretty good descriptions and opinions, but they are not taken into concern for all that insane trolling.

Problem is that hating and trolling does not take anything positive into account, but focuses only on negative opinions and fumes it with ridiculous claims.

I hope things will drastically change for the better after the embargo, because The Order certainly deserves it.

sam777

Reminds me of the ending to a certain first entry to a super popular franchise.

True but that was a quality game apart from that imo of course. I don't mind a QTE ending to much if the rest of the game is very good.

Although due to no replayability and possibly short length I will wait till a drop in price before I get this.

Azdoune

Might as well lump all of Cage's games into one go to save time.

Which btw, even though we all agree they're bad, they still sell right?

Can I vote Heavy Rain?

Oh god. You don't like heavy rain.
David cage makes 2 games on ps3 and now you can say Sony is bad on cinematic games.
And imo, heavy rain was a great game. It' s a different style of game, but I love it too.

According to CassidyIzABeast's calculation earlier, including the other chapters there should be a total of around 1 hour 15 minutes of cutscenes in the game. I think. Not sure where 2 hours came from.

That's just taking out the chapters that are almost exclusively cutscenes(6,7,10,12,13). Any cutscenes taking place in any other chapters aren't subtracted. Will have to wait for one of those cutscene only videos to pop up to find out the total amount of cutscenes.

That is because all of us who actually have a game and play the game are mostly under embargo and we don't want to break the NDA.

Others that played the game and are not under embargo have given pretty good descriptions and opinions, but they are not taken into concern for all that insane trolling.

Problem is that hating and trolling does not take anything positive into account, but focuses only on negative opinions and fumes it with ridiculous claims.

I hope things will drastically change for the better after the embargo, because The Order certainly deserves it.
You call negative impressions trolling. Then you say please don't critisce the game it's going to be awesome no matter what. You sound like a The Order cheerleader. Stop bulletproofing the game it's a Gaming forum and this isn't the ONLY good impressions The Order thread. Come on

Azdoune

I don't understand why the cut scene duration is so important. I prefer to know if the cut scene and the story are good!
If the scenario is good I'm more than ok to have great cut scenes. And if it's not breaking the pace.

Dawg

You know, all these criticisms are a good reason as to why publishers are afraid to launch new IPs. I'm actually not that surprised by the length. I don't think it's too different compared to a couple of other IPs.

Hell, I completed Wolfenstein: The New Order under 11 hours last year and it was one of the best games I had played.

I think it's not that easy to create a massive game if it's your first "original IP". There's a lot of uncertainty. A lot of stuff is new. It's a new story, a new world, new characters, new gameplay, new engine etc etc. It's actually really close to Uncharted. The first Uncharted game was about 9 hours long and 5 hours if you rushed, just like The Order 1886. If I am to believe these impressions, at least. And while the gaming industry has changed a lot since 2007, I don't think a studio like Ready At Dawn (they're not exactly huge) is just able to squeeze out a 20 hour game looking like it does now.

That isn't to say I'm not skeptical about this game, because I am. I think that has more to do with the fact I'm worried how much the cutscenes and QTEs will have an effect on the game.

cackhyena

I don't understand why the cut scene duration is so important. I prefer to know if the cut scene and the story are good!
If the scenario is good I'm more than ok to have great cut scenes. And if it's not breaking the pace.

Seeing people say the characters aren't that great makes me think it isn't anything special. What is there to care about if the characters aren't pulling their weight?

You call negative impressions trolling. Then you say please don't critisce the game it's going to be awesome no matter what. You sound like a The Order cheerleader. Stop bulletproofing the game it's a Gaming forum and this isn't the ONLY good impressions The Order thread. Come on
That's not what I got from what he said. He was saying that negative impressions are being used to fuel the trolling (ignoring the positive impressions as well). He's saying the game deserves better than trolling, and that's true. Most games don't deserve trolls really.

There are trolls and defense-force folks here and both "sides" are ignoring the impressions that don't jive with their preconception. Confirmation bias out the butt around here.

amar212

No, I was referring solely to the absurd claims that plagued the threads that were closed.

Opinions are opinions, negative or positive, they are good and welcomed.

I am not against any, I have my subjective personal opinions, but that does not make them a fact.

The problem begins when blatant and ridiculous claims - that are displayed without any context - become a leading narrative. I see that as trolling, simply because the aforementioned side does not have an substantial first-hand experience, and still insist in pushing their claims as the only proper narrative.

I couldn't resist after reading the back and forth in the "Obama" picture thread, so I watched the last two chapters.

Is that seriously it?
A few corridor shootouts against standard enemies and a QTE against one bad guy?
You'd think given the game's inspirations (Gears, RE) that it would end against a super powerful boss flanked by dozens of the strongest baddies on an exploding train or something.

You know, all these criticisms are a good reason as to why publishers are afraid to launch new IPs. I'm actually not that surprised by the length. I don't think it's too different compared to a couple of other IPs.

Hell, I completed Wolfenstein: The New Order under 11 hours last year and it was one of the best games I had played.

I think it's not that easy to create a massive game if it's your first "original IP". There's a lot of uncertainty. A lot of stuff is new. It's a new story, a new world, new characters, new gameplay, new engine etc etc. It's actually really close to Uncharted. The first Uncharted game was about 9 hours long and 5 hours if you rushed, just like The Order 1886. And while the gaming industry has changed a lot since 2007, I don't think a studio like Ready At Dawn (they're not exactly huge) is just able to squeeze out a 20 hour game looking like it does now.

That isn't to say I'm not skeptical about this game, because I am. I think that has more to do with the fact I'm worried how much the cutscenes and QTEs will have an effect on the game.
Wolfenstein is an awesome game despite it's duration. However it isn't filled with long-lasting cutscenes and QTE events plaguing the game from begging to end. This game is being marketed as a cinematic experience how can I be excited about its gameplay!? I'll wait till the price drops, what won't take long to happen eventually. All the hate again Eurogamer s video and they probably were spot on in regards to their concerns about this game

Alienous

I think it's not that easy to create a massive game if it's your first "original IP". There's a lot of uncertainty. A lot of stuff is new. It's a new story, a new world, new characters, new gameplay, new engine etc etc. It's actually really close to Uncharted. The first Uncharted game was about 9 hours long and 5 hours if you rushed, just like The Order 1886. If I am to believe these impressions, at least. And while the gaming industry has changed a lot since 2007, I don't think a studio like Ready At Dawn (they're not exactly huge) is just able to squeeze out a 20 hour game looking like it does now.

I'm not paying a premium for good intentions.

I don't think this is a strictly time issue. 6 hours of compelling, interesting, innovative gameplay wouldn't be met with scorn.

Azdoune

Seeing people say the characters aren't that great makes me think it isn't anything special. What is there to care about if the characters aren't pulling their weight?

OK. I've seen so many haters that I will trust only myself for this game.
It's been a long time since a game was hated so much.

cackhyena

OK. I've seen so many haters that I will trust only myself for this game.
It's been a long time since a game was hated so much.

I'm not hating. I'm just going off what others say. I'm seeing very little on what makes the game, as a game, compelling. If the narrative or characters aren't shining, I don't know that it's worth it for me at all. I'd much rather have compelling game play, personally, but I can go for what this game is shooting for once in a while. I love the design and setting. *shrug*

To be fair, MGS4 had 7 hours of cutscene vs 7 hours of gameplay (first run) and I loved it.

With gameplay being as standard as it is, are the cutscenes at least on par with the best of them?

Here I go defending a game I overall can't stand, but MGS4 had playgrounds in each level to a degree. As far as I know, this game is much more straight forward? I don't think comparing these two games, simply because they both have a lot of cut scenes works here.

To be fair, MGS4 had 7 hours of cutscene vs 7 hours of gameplay (first run) and I loved it.

With gameplay being as standard as it is, are the cutscenes at least on par with the best of them?

I'm not hating. I'm just going off what others say. I'm seeing very little on what makes the game, as a game, compelling. If the narrative or characters aren't shining, I don't know that it's worth it for me at all. I'd much rather have compelling game play, personally, but I can go for what this game is shooting for once in a while. I love the design and setting. *shrug*
This game has a lot of elements to be an awesome gaming experience. Great setting, interesting story, fucking werewolves and bad ass mustaches. What I can't stand is a cinematic experience focused on long-lasting cutscenes and QTE events.

Liamc723

This is why it's completely ridiculous to only allow official topics to be posted on the release day of the game, everyone is now being funnelled into a thread that is discussing spoilers on the game.

How are we supposed to discuss the game without being spoiled? Wait for a bit of news on the game so we can then make ANOTHER thread and then discuss it? Ridiculous.

Alienous

This is why it's completely ridiculous to only allow official topics to be posted on the release day of the game, everyone is now being funnelled into a thread that is discussing spoilers on the game.

How are we supposed to discuss the game without being spoiled? Wait for a bit of news on the game so we can then make ANOTHER thread and then discuss it? Ridiculous.

Don't worry. It would appear that your thread is coming.

Dawg

Wolfenstein is an awesome game despite it's duration. However it isn't filled with long-lasting cutscenes and QTE events plaguing the game from begging to end. This game is being marketed as a cinematic experience how can I be excited about its gameplay!? I'll wait till the price drops, what won't take long to happen eventually. All the hate again Eurogamer s video and they probably were spot on in regards to their concerns about this game

I'm not paying a premium for good intentions.

I don't think this is a strictly time issue. 6 hours of compelling, interesting, innovative gameplay wouldn't be met with scorn.

But the people giving it scorn haven't played it yet, right? As I said, I too am skeptical about the things both of you mention but I'd like to keep an open mind until I've actually played the game.

Wolfenstein is a LONG game, is it not? And yes, one of the best FPS games i have played in a while.

This game has a lot of elements to be an awesome gaming experience. Great setting, interesting story, fucking werewolves and bad ass mustaches. What I can't stand is a cinematic experience focused on long-lasting cutscenes and QTE events.
Then it should have been clear from fairly early on that this wasn't a game for you. There's nothing wrong with that, not everyone likes every type of game.

Top Bottom