• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything over 80% here was an A.

D was below 60, a C was like 60-69, and a B was 70-79

From a statistical standpoint that is all wrong. Waste of time and work for too many easy tasks. More difficult tasks give you a more accurate score at the same number of tasks per test. (unless of course you have those grade-ranges and difficult tasks to sort out about 70% of your class as fails).

Seems not very well thought out.

LoveCake

The thing is that people want value for money, it is like Boogie said yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYUqWsSINA if a game comes out that it truly unique in some way then the price may well be worth paying, but when you look at the value that GTA5 offers for the same price as The Order then you do have to question if The Order is worth the current price.

I cannot feel sorry for Ready at Dawn that would be like feeling sorry for Peter Molyneux, they must have know what the reaction was going to be like, especially in this day & age with social media, word spreads like wildfire.

I have The Order on it's way to me, i am in two minds whether to return it & get a refund & take the hit on postage or open it & play it.

MormaPope

Banned
There were plenty of previews that said it wasn't very good that explained why.

And although I know that this is kind of sacrilege to say, but I do actually trust videogame journalists who have to play games at trade shows for their job more than the average GAF poster.

Yup and agreed. Reading written reviews usually paints what a game actually is, whereas on forums and elsewhere there aren't really details. Reviewers have more weight on their backs to explain what a game is, rather than saying if its good or the worse thing ever.

monlo

I think part of the issue with these varying review scores is reviewers aren't taking the game for what it is.

Like, people are knocking it down in review score because it's lacking a multiplayer option.

That's not what this game is. If you're expecting The Order 1886 Multiplayer edition, and you get a single player edition, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

With that said, I haven't played this game yet, but from what I see, the only thing I don't necessarily think is good is it may get monotonous. But other than that, it looks like a very well made experience, for what it is.

Like, did the game accomplish what it set out to do? (Tell a single player story with amazing cinematic transitions?) I think the answer to that might be yes (despite the semi-lackluster story it seems to have -- this is subjective). Objectively it appears to have been a technical success, though.

So basically if they sold this game for $40, everyone would love it? Sounds like the reviewers simply can't justify $60 for a game of this length.

I didn't see too many reviews knocking the length or price that much, the main gripe seemed to be they simply didn't have much fun with it.

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

amazing
Hh3iZ.gif
Hh3iZ.gif
Hh3iZ.gif

CrisKre

I so regret buying a PS4 at this point its not even funny. I really really really hope they pick up the slack and stop with this mediocre titles.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!
I laughed hard

Hatty

So basically if they sold this game for $40, everyone would love it? Sounds like the reviewers simply can't justify $60 for a game of this length.

if they $40 version had more engaging and varied gameplay then yes

but The Evil Within got similar scores and that was one of my favorite games last year. I guess if it looks interesting to you just play it

orochi91

Can't help but think he's partly responsible for Sony's pretty lackluster 1st/2nd party releases.

Knack's mediocre reception
Killzone's pretty but bland game/gameplay
Driveclub delay and launch issues
LBP3 having so many bugs and issues that Sony/Sumo should be ashamed

I'm gonna file all of these under launch-window, along with The Order (it was supposed to come out long ago), since those tend to be pretty mediocre.

I:SS and TLoU:R have been excellent, as has DC since release which I'll pick up when the GOTY edition with all DLC comes out.

2015 needs to be a big year for WWS; Bloodborne and U4 are guaranteed hits.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm wondering if this game was advertised as an interactive cinematic, ala Heavy Rain or Beyond, if it would be seen more positively?

Something I've come to understand is that most products live and die by the expectations they set up. This also comes in to play when the developer/creator refuses to clarify the vision and/or utility of their product, thus leaving it up to consumers and/or reviewers to do that.

This so happened to Killzone 1 for PS2. Guerilla mostly left it up to the media hype train to define its product, and thus an experimental sci-fi military shooter turned into the epic "Halo Killer" it was never meant or trying to be.

I'm definitely not defending this game in the least bit, but this situation does draw parallels in my mind.

I think it would have. Them being overly secretive about what exactly the game was and the gears of war comparisons were no help. They should have embraced what the game is getting praise for and I think expectations would have been realistic. I can understand why they didn't, though.

asmudge

Banned
I see the studio having a future........only if they fire or at least slap hard the main designer. The game is practically a collection of terrible design choices. Impressive really.

Sounds like you haven't read a single review.......

Curufinwe

The thing is that people want value for money, it is like Boogie said yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYUqWsSINA if a game comes out that it truly unique in some way then the price may well be worth paying, but when you look at the value that GTA5 offers for the same price as The Order then you do have to question if The Order is worth the current price.

I cannot feel sorry for Ready at Dawn that would be like feeling sorry for Peter Molyneux, they must have know what the reaction was going to be like, especially in this day & age with social media, word spreads like wildfire.

I have The Order on it's way to me, i am in two minds whether to return it & get a refund & take the hit on postage or open it & play it.

You may as well play it and then quickly trade it in. You should be able to get 50%+ of the purchase price back.

Kinyou

I think they'd be more forgiving. That said, the story apparently isn't that great and that was what the game was pretty much hinging on. A game can get away with mediocre gameplay if it puts the focus on story I.e. Walking Dead. But if the story also ends up mediocre you have a problem.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Good post. I will surely pick up the order sometime, but right now the price of the game seems a little to high for what it has to offer.

We all have different economic circumstances but I'm happy you are approaching the product with an open mind.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's a testament to the artistic nature of this product. It's fresh and provocative and has the attention of people and is able to drive much discourse where people have plenty of interesting and varied perspectives on the matter. It's further proof of excellence in my opinion. My only regret is that people do not realize they are also apart of the performance piece hence fail to judge themselves as part of the work. I would never give myself a 4/10... I love myself too much to be that derisive to me as a work of art and I respect all the people who helped move me forward in live to where I am today. I honestly believe that instead of such nihilistic perspective on the product but taking a more holistic perspective would allow people to see themselves in this product and perhaps yield much different opinions ad assessments.

Ultimately art speaks to each differently but we have to be willing to listing and since will as an internal process, I have no choice but to respect everyone's perspective on the product even if I strongly feel otherwise.

I give this post a "Peter Molyneux"/10

ZoddGutts

RIP. Western devs need a wakeup call.

This so hard. Pls put more focused on gameplay, don't give a shit for how good graphically it looks, if it plays so bland and it's a short ass game, no way in hell I'm spending 60 bucks for it. Games like Ryse and The Order deserve to be shitted on.

MormaPope

Banned
You may as well play it and then quickly trade it in. You should be able to get 50%+ of the purchase price back.

At that point it makes a lot more sense to rent something. Trading something in after buying it is good if someone gets sick of a game they initially enjoyed for a couple of weeks or a month.

Alavard

I think part of the issue with these varying review scores is reviewers aren't taking the game for what it is.

Like, people are knocking it down in review score because it's lacking a multiplayer option.

That's not what this game is. If you're expecting The Order 1886 Multiplayer edition, and you get a single player edition, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

With that said, I haven't played this game yet, but from what I see, the only thing I don't necessarily think is good is it may get monotonous. But other than that, it looks like a very well made experience, for what it is.

Like, did the game accomplish what it set out to do? (Tell a single player story with amazing cinematic transitions?) I think the answer to that might be yes (despite the semi-lackluster story it seems to have -- this is subjective). Objectively it appears to have been a technical success, though.

The reviews I've been reading weren't knocking it specifically for having no multiplayer, but rather saying that the game is so incredibly bare of anything to keep you playing once you beat the short campaign. Multiplayer is one of the things they could have added. Some sort of New Game+ mode would be another.

Mahonay

Banned
The question I'd ask is: Is The Evil Within a better game than The Order?
I've never played The Evil Wihin, but from what I've seen of the game it seemed to have significantly more gameplay to sink your teeth into. Although they are definitely "cinematic display ratio" cousins. A trend that I hope is short lived given the response it has gotten from both reviewers and consumers.

I can't say which is better since neither appeal to me after seeing the finished products.

Gestault

Could you highlight four or so negative reviews whose crux was that the game was really good, but they ended up disliking it because of a lack of muliplayer?

Watched a quick look. I didn't think the QTE's would have instant fail states. Am I wrong in remembering an interview with the devs where they said that the QTEs had the possibility to branch because they wanted to avoid what other games did where it turned into a "groundhog day" sequence that would repeat over and over till the player got it right?

I remember that too. This and the physics based destruction silently disappearing are bigger disappointments to me than any of the other complaints.

buckeye13

Banned
Green-lighting those wasn't the issue. There's no reason any of those shouldn't exist. The execution is the issue.
Agree, all these title have a reason to exist. Fact is, hes responsible for overseeing Sonys quality, and reputation. The quality has been marginal at best, in comparison to Sonys past exclusives. This is why people buy a playstation, reputation of quality exclusives, and diverse game genres. Although I would also argue that Yosp doesnt seem to value multiplayer, as much as Microsoft does.

At that point it makes a lot more sense to rent something. Trading something in after buying it is good if someone gets sick of a game they initially enjoyed for a couple of weeks or a month.

If you split the game between 4 friends, you can easily beat it all four times per person in a single week and trade it back for what ends up being maybe 2-5 dollars per person, if you're unable to rent it.

Kerda

You know, I complain about game critics as much as anyone, but it warms the cockles of my heart to see that that, every once in a while, they can sack up and call bullshit on a big money title.

Of course, I would certainly never advocate to take these guy's word as gospel, or to just completely abandon interest in a game because some dude with no claims to authority doesn't like it, but The Order seems like the sort of game right up their alley (beautiful, "adult" aesthetic, brief length, heavy focus on narrative and characterization), and they almost uniformly dislike it.

Actually, they've been surprisingly, well...critical of games the last 6 months. Whether they would ever admit it or not, I think a lot of the criticisms lobbed at the gaming press these past 6 months have stung, and it definitely seems like they're out to prove their independence and bona fides of late, with harsher reviews of high profile titles and welcomed changes to ethical standards and review practices. I can only hope it continues, as nothing is gained by a gaming press that's just blandly positive and pridefully anti-consumer.

mjp2417

Banned

The Order: 1886 Review Thread > Uncharted 3 Review Thread

Are the two camps "people who have played the game" and "people who have not played the game" also?

Because that is certainly what it is reading like.
To clarify, you mean the reviewers and the tiny handful of people who got it early versus the 99% of everyone else who hasn't got it yet, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom