• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl@de

AKKU9xx.gif

Amazing. 6.5/10. You the man

Smash88

Banned
So why were you concern trolling and acting like your decision to buy a PS4 hinged on this game?

In the past few weeks:

Today:

Not to defend the dude or anything, but if you took some of my posts out of context (each from a separate thread), and put it together, it would also look bad - you could probably do that for the majority of GAF posters. This really doesn't prove he was concern trolling at all.

Stop trying to twist his posts to fit some sort of dumb view you have.

Sid

Welp, glad I didn't pre-order. Guess I'll grab it in a sale.

It's a shame so many of Sony's titles have failed to achieved the same standard of quality seen in the LBP/UC2/DS/KZ2/GoWIII era. Though I'd put Second Son up there.

Hopefully things will change with Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. And maybe the Last Guardian?
Or even Resistance:Fall of Man,Ratchet and Clank:ToD and Uncharted 1,all of which came out within the first year of the PS3

Xpliskin

Damn this turned ugly real quick. The game and the dev are just being mocked now, and the gifs keep on coming.
Been a while we hadn't had a thread like these.

Karak

Nothing at all wrong with a negative review but the shit I am seeing on twitter directed directly at the makers from journalists is woeful. There just isn't a reason to personally tease the makers of this game. Seems so odd coming from actual reviewers.

Fbh

Gameplay? It's playable no?
Is it broken? No.

David cage games are not good on this point but reviews are not that bad.
Even ryse reviews weren't that bad.
I Cleary don't get it.

Beyond didn't review that well either, it currently has a 7.0 metascore (only 0.4 more than the order).

Heavy Rain reviewed better because at the time it was a pretty new and creative concept. The story itself might not have been that good but the game offered a lot of choices and replay value, plus elements like no checkpoints and the possibility of your characters dying and the story continuing. As a mixture of cinema and videogames it seems like a better experience.

Ryse was a lanch title. There are people that are more forgiving with a game being basically a graphical showcase when it's a launch title. Even so, it reviewed just as bad as the order and currently has a lower metascore on both PC and X1

Eh, Bloodborne is almost guaranteed to at least be good considering the pedigree and track record of the developer. Plus previews have been far kinder to it.

I understand the sentiment though. The Order was the last of Sony's first generation PS4 exclusives (along with Infamous, Killzone, Knack, and Driveclub). Hopefully they start kicking into high gear.

But doesn't RAD have a good track record?

I am concerned about The Witcher 3 and Halo 5 hype train if The Order has anything to do with Bloodborne.FFS

Ok. You have a point.

So basically make it the same games that practically coming out on assembly lines... Cause that's what we need- more open world games.

Umm, what one aspect of what I wrote would you consider unappealing in a game? Open world? Is that it? I don't get the hate of open worlds. A large scaled open RPG set in The Order's mythos and locals would be epic.

I guess you're super bummed about The Witcher III aren't you?

I have it on good authority that they were expecting worse.

They were expecting lower than a 64 Meta?

Ummmm.........what? Do they have zero confidence in their product or what? I mean why would you develop a game for years, put all your effort into it, and plan on having low / bad review scores?

NekoFever

isn't that called "second party"?

First party = manufacturer
Second party = consumer that the first party is selling to (i.e. you)
Third party = independent company that is licensed by first party to get in on this relationship and sell to first party's consumers

This goes for any business relationship.

So unless you're making games, there's no such thing as a second-party developer. If a game is published by the console manufacturer it's first-party; otherwise it's third-party. A first-party game can be made by a third-party developer.

vesvci

Banned
Depends on your perspective. From a consumer point of view, metacritic is terrific. Probably saved them $60. For the publisher and developer they probably regret the early embargo. If they didn't send out review copies, they probably would have had a couple days of sales before reviews started piling in.

Metacritic didn't save me money when I first purchased Halo: MCC for my XBO.

Sweep14

I am concerned about The Witcher 3 and Halo 5 hype train if The Order has anything to do with Bloodborne.FFS

Don't worry for The Witcher 3 and Halo 5, those are not new IP's, are on XB1, are not cinematic, are established franchises. This will grant them a free pass among the usual suspects, oh pardon, the usual reviewers... :)

You can worry for Bloodborne thought. If reviewers were able to give a score as low as 2/10 for The Order (completely undeserved IMHO), you can expect them to be at, let's say...4/10 for Bloodborne, objectively ! ;-)

Those games didn't come out until 2-4 years into the generation. We just wrapped up the first year of the PS4. Though I agree that it is a shame. Sony's output during the second half of the PS3 was fantastic.
Well, I had thought we'd reached a sort of tipping point for SCEWWS, regardless of where SCE might be in the hardware lifecycle.

Though Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, and Naughty Dog still seem to have rock solid ouput. I'm excited for MM's new IP.

And From shouldn't disappoint with Bloodborne.

Freeman

Banned
At least 50 million were spent making this game. These money could be spent making one or two real games instead of this "cinematic experience". For every single game made, there are games that got denied the chance. And you do know that big budget games like The Order are detrimental to the diversity of the video game industry in the first place, right? So there is a good chance that not having The Order made would actually inject more diversity into the industry.
This is just stupid.

Sad to hear it's not living up to expectations I will be buying a PS4 this year (most likely after E3) it's still a game I'm looking forward to playing in the future.

They're a business, but they don't blindly make things that they have no interest in making just to fulfill the business aspect of it. They also need to make something that they're interested in. They can improve on a sequel should they be permitted to make one, at which point they can cater more to what sells better and improving the game overall, but there isn't any rationalization when all that's being said is that it is a developer's decision to make a particular type of game, partially because they want to, partially because they need to. Otherwise we'd have developers completely abandoning anything they envision to create in favor of GTA5 clones, because they're a business as you say and that's all they should care about.

This would make quite a bit of sense if the Order itself was a low budget experimental game. Which it isn't. It's a pretty expensive and pretty derivative game. I can understand the Cage niche (despite not liking it at all). But pretending that this game is something that's leading gaming away from the generic AAA big budget high tech focus tested path...that's imo a bit ridiculous.

Arondight

Yeah, total bummer. As a pc owner especially. Thank god for Bloodborne I guess.

I knew this game wasn't going to review well but this is worse than I anticipated. Key gameplay element criticisms I had since its demo showings are still present. The game takes the controls of you way to much even for melee sections and level design is very poor. Going to get just for visuals and soaking up that atmosphere though. Only a few more hours left.

Everyone with good judgement foresaw the Order reviewing poorly. Same goes for Bloodborne being good. Whether it's good or great does remain to be seen.
Most everyone knew it would review poorly even the hardcore fans. It's cinematic and short, of course it would. Although I didnt think it'd be getting 1's and 2's, that is kind of crazy to me. But opinions man!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
At least 50 million were spent making this game. These money could be spent making one or two real games instead of this "cinematic experience".
Or it could have been spent on something that majority of people would like even less. Reality is, this got made, it's in some ways different than other similar games (not many of which are being made anyway), and arguing that something like this not getting made would with any certainty provide more diversity, sounds like a thinly veiled attempt to say that only games you approve of should be made.

Depends on your perspective. From a consumer point of view, metacritic is terrific. Probably saved them $60. For the publisher and developer they probably regret the early embargo. If they didn't send out review copies, they probably would have had a couple days of sales before reviews started piling in.

Yeah, but...we're all consumers here. It's not our problem to worry about publishers and developers in an instance like this. To think metacritic costing sales is a shame is bizarre, because you're putting the financial health of the developer or publisher over peole getting a potentially sub-par product.

Wagram

One of my all time favorite titles is in the 50s range on metacritic. This means nothing. I'll pick Order up when it's $20 like I always planned to :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom