• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expecting anything above mediocre is too much.

So why were you concern trolling and acting like your decision to buy a PS4 hinged on this game?

In the past few weeks:

Looking very mediocre, I'd urge GAF to use some restraint on this one, but my criticisms will likely fall on hyped ears.

The Order has always seemed to be overhyped on GAF.

Every time I see The Order it looks decidedly mediocre from a mechanics perspective. I don't know why it's getting so much hype on GAF, potentially due to the low amount of exclusive software, but I predict people are going to be in for a rude surprise.

I will never understand how GAF is so invested in The Order. Even in the face of previews and impressions depicting mediocrity, GAF is still massively hyped.

I don't get it.

To be brutally honest, there is relatively little point to owning a PS4 prior to Bloodborne.

Today:
I'm going to be real honest, I don't know if I can justify a PS4 for one game right now.

Purkake4

Banned
Pretty much. Metacritic just killed the vast majority of sales for the order, and the game isn't even out.
Umm, the game not being up to snuff, leading to bad reviews killed the "vast majority of sales" if anything.

Better fix it by hiding the game until release.

Pretty much. Metacritic just killed the vast majority of sales for the order, and the game isn't even out.

I'm confused by your wording. That's positive isn't it? If the game generally reviews mediocre, are you saying that it's a shame more people didn't buy it uninformed? Or are you just saying that pubs are going to get even tighter on the reins, in which case I agree.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm completely not shocked that a linear TPS from a developer who's only made PSP games and has failed to impress on every showing is getting bad reviews. If this wasn't a Sony exclusive it would have no hype.

AKKU9xx.gif

Your'e a god.

Zampano

To be fair, they have most likely brought in journalists to give early review projections. I remember the Bombcast talking about that practice and how it is quite common on larger games.

They had a fair idea of what the reception was going to be.

I have it on good authority that they were expecting worse.

Welp, glad I didn't pre-order. Guess I'll grab it in a sale.

It's a shame so many of Sony's titles have failed to achieved the same standard of quality seen in the LBP/UC2/DS/KZ2/GoWIII era. Though I'd put Second Son up there.

Hopefully things will change with Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. And maybe the Last Guardian?

To be clear, I'm not talking about Kirk's post. Mostly Rosenburg's.

And I'm not quite sure how to respond, especially after all the shit people generally give Gies and, when he was in the media, Sessler. Just because a game isn't reviewing well doesn't make it any better than similar behavior about games people liked.

Given that, despite whatever disclaimer they put on their Twitter, they use it as an extension of their platform for their business, they could at least be professional about it.
Why should the games industry be treated differently? Movie reviewers have absolutely no problem shitting all over bad movies and then mocking those movies after they've reviewed them. Ditto for music.

I honestly didn't know that was a thing.

Chobel

All the time. Think of any games less than 10 hours on average. Regardless of quality and sales. Let's say it even sold a pretty decent amount.

If it was 10 hours on average or under without a multi / replay ability component it sold less copies than it otherwise could have. A game doesn't have to be long by any means, but there needs to be a reason people keep playing the game and don't trade it in quickly.

I hate to argue for tacked on multi or co-op but if your game is 10 hours or less and full priced you need to do something to ensure people keep playing it after 1 week / tell their friends its worth it. $60 for your average Joe to sit down and play 6 hours and be done, its not a good look for business.

All that being said I still think Order will have a solid launch. I'm just really curious about its legs.

Man! This is not looking good for The Order and RAD.

Zukkoyaki

really does make you wonder about the hype train that is Bloodborne...
Eh, Bloodborne is almost guaranteed to at least be good considering the pedigree and track record of the developer. Plus previews have been far kinder to it.

I understand the sentiment though. The Order was the last of Sony's first generation PS4 exclusives (along with Infamous, Killzone, Knack, and Driveclub). Hopefully they start kicking into high gear.

Surely you jest. 25 million in development for a retail released PS4/Xbox game is a fart in the wind. You can't get something decent out the door for less than 40 million, these days. And we aren't even factoring in marketing costs, which will at least match development costs if your game is to sell a few million copies.

The Witcher 3 has a development budget of $15M.

Alienous

Do you think Sony was like "Why don't we do an embargo until the day the game launches", and Ready at Dawn were like "What, no way!" and Sony was like:

pou_7153.png

Derpyduck

Banned
So why were you concern trolling and acting like your decision to buy a PS4 hinged on this game?

In the past few weeks:

Today:

Is frantically searching another user's post history in a sad attempt to shame them one of the entries on the Bingo Card? And what's worse is you misrepresented his posts.

TBH I wouldn't care about gameplay as long is serviciable. I'd play it for the graphics and enjoy it for what it is, a true showcase of what the actual gen can offer.

But of course I wouldn't pay 60€ for this, but sounds good enough to get it for cheaper in a few months.

Also I never understood the hype for this game, it always looked unremarkable to me for a gameplay standpoint, people were goozing over the hit reactions and all that, but it never looked like it had actual interesting level design or gameplay above the average TPS out there.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This is a "business". What they "wanted to make" is - sadly - quite irrelevant.

And the argument was about "diversity" and the reply was about that. It's pretty obvious that spending big money on this kind of stuff does not help "diversity".

Seriously, the level of sophistry in the rationalisations people come up with...incredible.

They're a business, but they don't blindly make things that they have no interest in making just to fulfill the business aspect of it. They also need to make something that they're interested in. They can improve on a sequel should they be permitted to make one, at which point they can cater more to what sells better and improving the game overall, but there isn't any rationalization when all that's being said is that it is a developer's decision to make a particular type of game, partially because they want to, partially because they need to. Otherwise we'd have developers completely abandoning anything they envision to create in favor of GTA5 clones, because they're a business as you say and that's all they should care about.

143 people streaming on Live from PlayStation and the game isn't even out yet. I think it will do fine in terms of sales but I won't be among them.

Eh, Bloodborne is almost guaranteed to at least be good considering the pedigree and track record of the developer. Plus previews have been far kinder to it.

I understand the sentiment though. The Order was the last of Sony's first generation PS4 exclusives (along with Infamous, Killzone, Knack, and Driveclub). Hopefully they start kicking into high gear.

No, nothing is guaranteed outside of never ending hype and almost unrealistic expectations.

Derpyduck

Banned
To be clear, I'm not talking about Kirk's post. Mostly Rosenburg's.

And I'm not quite sure how to respond, especially after all the shit people generally give Gies and, when he was in the media, Sessler. Just because a game isn't reviewing well doesn't make it any better than similar behavior about games people liked.

Given that, despite whatever disclaimer they put on their Twitter, they use it as an extension of their platform for their business, they could at least be professional about it.

I honestly didn't know that was a thing.

You've seriously never seen a movie reviewer talk shit about Adam Sandler movies?

Jams775

In the past few weeks:

Today:

Sounds like he's talking about Bloodborne in that last quote. Like he isn't sure he wants to buy a PS4 for just Bloodborne. Is that what you mean when you say he was concern trolling?

In the past few weeks:

Today:

He was clearly talking about Bloodborne there sweetie.

Just watched the GT trailer and if nothing else, damn the game is pretty and hearing about how it's polished makes me wish they somehow get another chance and make a sequel. Then again with the same people in charge I don't see much changing, if nothing else some co-op would be lovely.

It's a shame so many of Sony's titles have failed to achieved the same standard of quality seen in the LBP/UC2/DS/KZ2/GoWIII era. Though I'd put Second Son up there.

Hopefully things will change with Bloodborne and Uncharted 4. And maybe the Last Guardian?

MediaMolecule, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and PD are IMO the only developers Sony have that can actually do a few rounds with other developers out there. The studios that have so far released games on PS4 from Sony are not very good, I have high hopes for Horizon because killzone 2 was awesome but that was 6 years ago now, maybe time to move on for me and accept GG ain't the best around.

Zukkoyaki

Those games didn't come out until 2-4 years into the generation. We just wrapped up the first year of the PS4. Though I agree that it is a shame. Sony's output during the second half of the PS3 was fantastic.

Bubba77

Im torn. I have to spend another 30 bucks to get my 15 dollar PSN credit for the current promo. And I really wanted to play this game, but after watching a few reviews I just dont think I can rationalize 60 bucks on it. My backlog is too big. Maybe I need to get both danganrompas(spelling owns me) instead

orochi91

WWS continues to disappoint.

The silver lining here is that all of Sony's launch-window games have now been released.

Titles green-lighted from this point onward can hopefully be more than just PS4 technical demos.

MormaPope

Banned
It would take some serious, serious fucking up for Bloodborne to be mediocre. My main criticism is it looks sorta safe, as in it looks like a Souls spinoff rather than something drastically different.

I wasn't hyped for Dark Souls 2 either and ended up loving it.

Duxxy3

I'm confused by your wording. That's positive isn't it? If the game generally reviews mediocre, are you saying that it's a shame more people didn't buy it uninformed? Or are you just saying that pubs are going to get even tighter on the reins, in which case I agree.

Depends on your perspective. From a consumer point of view, metacritic is terrific. Probably saved them $60. For the publisher and developer they probably regret the early embargo. If they didn't send out review copies, they probably would have had a couple days of sales before reviews started piling in.

Derpyduck

Banned
Im torn. I have to spend another 30 bucks to get my 15 dollar PSN credit for the current promo. And I really wanted to play this game, but after watching a few reviews I just dont think I can rationalize 60 bucks on it. My backlog is too big. Maybe I need to get both danganrompas(spelling owns me) instead

Is there another promo? US or Europe?

-MD-

In the past few weeks:
Today:

1. Nothing he said was untrue

2. Sounds like the game hinging on a PS4 purchase he's referring to is Bloodborne.

Impressive collection of posts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom