• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How the hell can you hate on Sonic Racing if you like Outrun 2? It's an awesome, awesome kart racer. Why you would want to have an in-car view in a KART RACER WITH ITEMS BEING THROWN AT YOU is also baffling.

ram said:
sure, if you love 30fps with slowdowns and a dumbed down drifting mechanic.

The drifting mechanic is absolutely not dumbed down, heck the more time I put into the game, I feel there's probably more room for flexibility in Sonic Outrun than Outrun 2. You have the ability to pull off perfect sharp right angled turns with a drift or hold a drift for 15 seconds around an endless bend, that just wouldn't be possible if the drifting system wasn't both deep and flexible. Add that to a boosting system with near limitless potential for combos and you've got the base for an excellent arcade racer.

The game's playing just fine at a perfect 60fps here, in splitscreen mode as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, someone please explain to me how best to get this on a US PS3.

EU PSN card, basically?

I NEED this game. I've owned OutRun 2 on four different systems thus far, and well, I must have it again. :lol

Gameboy415

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, someone please explain to me how best to get this on a US PS3.

EU PSN card, basically?

Ditto!

Is there any chance it COULD be released on the US PSN in the future?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a real shame that Outrun Online Arcade isn't on US PSN. I picked it up last night on 360, and I adore it. Really glad I picked it up.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gameboy415 said:
Ditto!

Is there any chance it COULD be released on the US PSN in the future?

Nobody knows.
But the only case we've seen so far has been with Braid and basically more than 1 year later iirc. Pacman CE and many others never saw the light of the day on PSN.
You can go for two angles:
the fact that the game is released on EU (and JPN?) PSN gives it more chances.
the fact that they worked out an exclusivity deal for an arcade game seems proposterous if it's only a matter of limited time exclusivity.

Just make a EU PSN account and you're game.

If anybody want to add me on LIVE:

DashKap (Europe)

Also, has the Force Feedback finally been patched in?
The excuse back then with the Xbox version was that the official wheels didn't support FFB, what's the deal now with half-asses wheel support? I mean, the experience it's completely different from the arcade and you can guess why, the wheel adds a whole new dimension to the drifting mechanic, it's essential.

Dash Kappei

Ok, I just bought it again (live arcade).

I just can't believe how good this game looks from the arcade cab, just upped to 720p, with the 60fps locked this time (xbox/ps2 ports) and with some glorious AA to boot, it's really freakin' smooth. Color palette only adds to what is probably in the top 3 best looking arcade games.
800 points is a steal.
Can't wait for After Burner Climax... and to see that it probably won't support AC6/HAWX flight sticks.

BUT:

SHAME on the awful wheel support.
No real FFB (default resistance will stay that way no matter what) and NO vibration (when even the controller sethup gives you that).
I was so happy when I saw there was a patch for the game...
Yu Suzuki, where art thou? :(

Funny how someone went through all the fucking trouble making a game, and then locking it for only one specific region. I mean langauge-specific games make sense, but games where language doesn't matter and is already in english, that's fucking stupid.

Dash Kappei

Ok, guess what (OLD?) vibration and FFB code is actually in for the wheel as well... just "buried".
I went as far as trying this (using someone else's pic):

eg8xsz.jpg

And guess what?
You can barely notice the vibration when you crash. But it's THERE. :O :O
If you hold your breath (lol) you can even feel it when the engine revs at the start!

So it's just a freakin' bug, just a matter to up it ten notches.
I don't get why people didn't hammer SEGA's support about this.

How's the PSN version in this regard? I don't have a PS3 wheel.
Does anybody else actually care and wants to raise his voice about this matter?
It wouls make for a such awesome Outrun 2 experience athat I could really dedicate it its own set-up in the future when I move on to Wii2/Xbox720/PS4 whatever.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dash,

Your complaints about the force feedback effects in the Xbox Live version is precisely the reason why I've given up on all 360 racing games. The FFB is not implemented properly in any of the games(YES THAT INCLUDES FORZA III) because they're designed to utilize a unique type of FFB code not done by immersion but by Microsoft themselves. It's some sort of XID input and it is a design of ffb code that makes the effects feel, well, not quite right. This goes for the Fanatec wheel as well.

So the bottomline is, there is no point to playing the 360 version if you want the authenticity of the arcade controls. You will have to settle to the PS3 or original Xbox 1 version of Coast 2 Coast. PC version controls are not that good, because there is a problem with the analog steering....it has way too much deadzone and it doesn't feel right.

I am in the process of attempting to get my Happ wheel working on the PS3, but it's a very slow process at the moment due to a number of various factors. When or *IF* I finally get it working properly, I will attempt to import the UK version of OOA for the PSN and then I will hopefully finally be able to enjoy an OutRun 2 game at home with proper Force Feedback and on a true Arcade Cabinet FFB wheel(no you can't buy it in stores).

Dash Kappei

Thanks for the reply Isamu.
I tought the Xbox 1 version didn't have proper FFB has well?
I bought the game back for the Xbox (I don't have it anymore) then but I was living in London and I had my wheel in Italy and never attempted to get it back, just used the Logitech for GT4/PS2 racers.
If you're 100% certain is has proper FFB support, what would happen if I played the game on the 360?
When I move I will no doubt build a model1/2 pc beast and buy a Sega arcade cabineet.
I don't know what's the current state of Naomi1/2 emulators.
I'll probably ask you for reference if you're not jealous, since iirc you've assembled something pretty special.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dash Kappei said:
Thanks for the reply Isamu.
I tought the Xbox 1 version didn't have proper FFB has well?
I bought the game back for the Xbox (I don't have it anymore) then but I was living in London and I had my wheel in Italy and never attempted to get it back, just used the Logitech for GT4/PS2 racers.
If you're 100% certain is has proper FFB support, what would happen if I played the game on the 360?
When I move I will no doubt build a model1/2 pc beast and buy a Sega arcade cabineet.
I don't know what's the current state of Naomi1/2 emulators.
I'll probably ask you for reference if you're not jealous, since iirc you've assembled something pretty special.

Hi Dash. I apologize mate, let me clarify what I meant. When I said "As far as authenticity goes", I mentioned the original Xbox 1 version because I was talking in terms of analog steering and overall control of the car with a wheel. It's very very precise. But....no it does not have PROPER force feedback unfortunately. Just rumble. In fact I don't believe *ANY* driving games on the Xbox 1 supports true FFB due to the system itself not supporting it.

I spent a lot of time playing Coast 2 Coast on the original Xbox when it first came out. Loved loved LOVED it! But I so wished it had true FFB.

So a couple years later when the game came out for the PC, I was soooo bummed out upon discovering it didn't have ffb I LITERALLY had to be checked in the hospital for clinical depression(no I'm not kidding). It was that important to me. Everyone else just brushed it off and praised the game for looking bling bling and head and shoulders above all other versions, but I didn't give a shit about that. I wanted proper FFB in Outrun 2 and when it wasn't there on the PC port I felt Sumo Digital really went out of their way to shit on me. I felt betrayed, crushed, hurt. It was one of the worst videogame discoveries I've ever faced.

I haven't felt the same way about Outrun 2 or Sumo Digital ever since. A huge part of my love for this game was gone forever once that happened. I still played the PC version, but didn't have the same passion for the game I once had before the whole FFB/PC debacle. I don't hold any ill feelings towards SOL, as he was just the messenger. But boy if I ever get a hold of the person responsible to making the retarded decision of omitting ffb out of the PC version, I'd love to wring his neck!

Anyway I"m rambling. The point is I expect to enjoy the PS3 version once I get my hands on it and play it with proper FFB :)

miserable

Dash Kappei said:
Ok, I just bought it again (live arcade).

I just can't believe how good this game looks from the arcade cab, just upped to 720p, with the 60fps locked this time (xbox/ps2 ports) and with some glorious AA to boot, it's really freakin' smooth.

Is it really locked?'Cause when i played the demo on X360, i noticed frame drops, exactly like on PS2, and i was really disappointed in Sumo Digital, so i did not buy the game :(

isamu

I would just like to share and confirm some bad and unsettling news.

Outrun Online Arcade has been delisted and removed from the U.K. Playstation Network store. I have a UK account and was looking for the game, and after searching EVERY category and sub-category, I could not find it. I mentioned this to a UK friend at Gamefaqs and he has confirmed that it has indeed been removed and can no longer be purchased.

I am absolutely shocked, upset, and severely disappointed with this revelation. Shame on Sony for removing what is undoubtedly one of the best arcade driving games ever while keeping other crap available on their store.

I can no longer own this game unless someone is willing to share it with me :(

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
isamu said:

Outrun Online Arcade has been delisted and removed from the U.K. Playstation Network store. I have a UK account and was looking for the game, and after searching EVERY category and sub-category, I could not find it. I mentioned this to a UK friend at Gamefaqs and he has confirmed that it has indeed been removed and can no longer be purchased.

I am absolutely shocked, upset, and severely disappointed with this revelation. Shame on Sony for removing what is undoubtedly one of the best arcade driving games ever while keeping other crap available on their store.

That is FUCKED up

Trojan X

Banned
isamu said:

I guess this really highlight the flaws of the PSN or the idiocy of SEGA though I doubt its the latter.

I feel the same way about the PC version of Outrun2. There are no excuses not to make this version the ultimate one. Obviously, SEGA just did a quick port and nothing more. What as waste...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
isamu said:

Wow, that is messed up. I thought this thread got bumped because it was coming to NA PSN or something.

Thank god I have my JP PS2 Outrun 2SP. Definitive version of the game easily.

You should probably blame Sega for that. They decided to not put Outrun on the US PSN so they could easily decide to yank it from another PSN store.

V_Ben

Banned
isamu said:

Well, that is incredibly dumb.

Trojan X said:
I guess this really highlight the flaws of the PSN or the idiocy of SEGA though I doubt its the latter.

It certainly wouldn't be SCEE's fault. They certainly don't want games to disappear from their service. The blame would almost certainly fall on SEGA here. Perhaps legal issues forced it's removal

isamu

I have had bad luck with this franchise since the beggining.

The original Xbox version of C2C was the one I put the most time into. It was a lot of fun was not perfect. It had rumble but no true force feedback support. The graphics were faithful to the arcade but they for some reason looked kinda bland due to the low res. The biggest issue I experienced however, was a strange bug I had while playing the game: There were times when I would be driving on the road, and upon scraping the outside rails, walls, whatever, the game put suddenly put my car on the middle on the road and to grinding halt! Causing me to lose all speed. Not only did it affect the gameplay by slowing me down, it was very disconcerting on the eyes. I would go as far as to say, startling. This weird bug was the main reason I stopped playing the xbox version. The gameplay and controls were however, very very good.

PC is....well, let's just say I've had a change of heart. Go read *THIS THREAD* if you want to see my thoughts on why I now think the PC version is utter crap!

And now this situation with the PS3 version getting removed. *sigh*....it appears the actual arcade version of OR2SP DX on the Sega Lindbergh had the last laugh afterall.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Find a copy of OR2SP for PS2. Graphically it's rougher than the Xbox/HD versions, but it's as arcade perfect as you're going to get and has the most content, plus FFB!

Hell resolution aside it looks better than the PC version as all the lighting effects are intact.

isamu

luka said:
Find a copy of OR2SP for PS2. Graphically it's rougher than the Xbox/HD versions, but it's as arcade perfect as you're going to get and has the most content, plus FFB!

Hell resolution aside it looks better than the PC version as all the lighting effects are intact.

I actually pre-ordered the Japanese import verson many years ago, but my PS2 is out of commision at the moment. I have tried in the PCSX2 emulator and unfortunately the graphics are absolutely screwed!

Dash kappei what are your thoughts on this situation mate?

Benedict

Outrun is not available in the Swedish store either.
I guess it's been taken down in all of the European stores.

Wonder why?

Answers needed!

V_Ben said:
It certainly wouldn't be SCEE's fault. They certainly don't want games to disappear from their service. The blame would almost certainly fall on SEGA here. Perhaps legal issues forced it's removal

Why wouldn't it be SCEE's fault? Why would the blame fall on Sega? Considering some of the dumb moves SCEE has done, I wouldn't put it pass them to remove the game off the PSN store. Why would it be taken off PSN and not XBLA if it was a legal issue? Seems to me the blame falls on SCEE and not Sega.

V_Ben

Banned
Phoenix Fang said:
Why wouldn't it be SCEE's fault? Why would the blame fall on Sega? Considering some of the dumb moves SCEE has done, I wouldn't put it pass them to remove the game off the PSN store. Why would it be taken off PSN and not XBLA if it was a legal issue? Seems to me the blame falls on SCEE and not Sega.
Publishers are the ones that put content on the stores. If they want the content removed, then it's gone. Unless the game has been causing problems with PS3's, then I see no reason why SCEE would be the ones to remove it. The blame shouldnt fall to SCEE here. They were likely asked by SEGA to remove the game, for reasons I simply can't fathom. Either that, or it's simply an accident. Content has disappeared from the Store before, only to reappear the next week.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sucks. :/

V_Ben said:
Publishers are the ones that put content on the stores. If they want the content removed, then it's gone. Unless the game has been causing problems with PS3's, then I see no reason why SCEE would be the ones to remove it. The blame shouldnt fall to SCEE here. They were likely asked by SEGA to remove the game, for reasons I simply can't fathom. Either that, or it's simply an accident. Content has disappeared from the Store before, only to reappear the next week.

Out of curiosity, does this happen a lot (content removal) on the US and EU PSN?

V_Ben

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Sucks. :/

Out of curiosity, does this happen a lot (content removal) on the US and EU PSN?
It has happened occasionally. Mostly in foreign stores, not in every one. The fact that the game is gone from every store is reason for concern. I'll see if I can find anything out...

Edit: usually, the content comes back after a week. The only exception is re MUA2 DLC, which activation decided was going to be timed of all things. Publishers do the darndest things...

Agent X

luka said:
Thank god I have my JP PS2 Outrun 2SP. Definitive version of the game easily.

Just out of curiosity, what's different between this and OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast that was released in the US?

V_Ben said:

I was disappointed that it never saw a PSN release in North America, and always wondered why that decision was made. Then, recently, I read somewhere on the Web that Microsoft currently has some sort of exclusive licensing deal with Ferrari, which prohibits Ferraris from appearing in games on non-Microsoft consoles. This was cited as the reason why the Ferrari downloadable add-on pack for Need for Speed Shift was exclusive to Xbox 360, and never appeared on PS3. I don't know if such licensing deal actually exists, but if it does, then that might also explain what has happened with the PS3 version of this game as well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Agent X said:
I was disappointed that it never saw a PSN release in North America, and always wondered why that decision was made. Then, recently, I read somewhere on the Web that Microsoft currently has some sort of exclusive licensing deal with Ferrari, which prohibits Ferraris from appearing in games on non-Microsoft consoles. This was cited as the reason why the Ferrari downloadable add-on pack for Need for Speed Shift was exclusive to Xbox 360, and never appeared on PS3. I don't know if such licensing deal actually exists, but if it does, then that might also explain what has happened with the PS3 version of this game as well.

GT5 has a Ferrari though.

V_Ben said:

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Sega ask them to remove it? Unless Sony is charging big publisher a lot of money to keep the content up. Or they have some rule in place that the game must sell a certain amount in order to stay up in the store.

Agent X said:

MS has the exlcusive license for Ferrari on the 360 only. That means that if you want to use the Ferrari license on the 360 then you have to go through MS. I don't think that anyone has exclusive rights for it on the PS3. GT5 has Ferrari's and Eutechnyx has released several games with Ferrari's. In fact they're releasing a game called Ferrari the Race Experience this upcoming week.

V_Ben

Banned
Phoenix Fang said:
That doesn't make any sense. Why would Sega ask them to remove it? Unless Sony is charging big publisher a lot of money to keep the content up. Or they have some rule in place that the game must sell a certain amount in order to stay up in the store.
Either that, or SEGA wanted to raise the price on the game, SCEE said no, and SEGA removed the game. There are a load of possible explanations, and none of them really make sense. Heck, it could even be a combination of factors. I'm really not sure :)

The money for keeping content up thing would also be feasible, but are other SEGA games still up on the store? That could provide a clue of some sort.

Trojan X

Banned
Isamu @ Regarding your videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfO_EPKIBcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67hWuwR-IY0

I think you should create your OWN thread that talks about your racing gaming rig setup for I think it's superb, an absolute sight to behold and something that some journalist might want to cover. Heh, I know that I will give you some coverage if I was still a journalist.

If you could take some photos of your rig and talk about where you can get these parts, how its all set up, etc, just so other people can assemble something like that at their home too. Is that wheel compatible with the PS3 and Xbox too? If it is then how does GT and other games feel with the wheel? So many questions...

Also don't forget to talk about the speakers placements and try out other games too. Lastly, don't worry about the Logitech G25 bash for I'm in agreement with you that if it doesn't feel like the arcades then I do not want to know... though I do like to hear a good comparison analysis between to two and many more.

DonMigs85

I'm glad I got a buddy of mine living in Aussie to help me get this game last year. I just checked the Aussie store and yep, it's gone from there too (but still in my download list).

Agent X

SolidSnakex said:
MS has the exlcusive license for Ferrari on the 360 only. That means that if you want to use the Ferrari license on the 360 then you have to go through MS. I don't think that anyone has exclusive rights for it on the PS3. GT5 has Ferrari's and Eutechnyx has released several games with Ferrari's. In fact they're releasing a game called Ferrari the Race Experience this upcoming week.

Yes, I just found this in some Google searching a few minutes ago:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1054146.page

About 2/3 of the way down the page, someone posted a response that Ferrari gave to a person that asked about this:

Dear Doug,

Electronic Arts developed a DLC for Need For Speed Shift including 10 cars from Ferrari, thanks to a sub-license with Microsoft, holder of the exclusive Ferrari content on Xbox360 and Xbox Live. Electronic Arts does not have a license with Ferrari and can therefore not develop Ferrari 3D cars for PC, Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii or DS, or other platforms, mobile platforms included.

Regards,
Ferrari.com Staff

What you said would make sense in this context, and also why Gran Turismo 5 would have Ferraris. (My guess would've been that GT5 was in development so long that its licensing agreement preceded whatever deal Microsoft struck more recently.)

It appears that this licensing only affects the inclusion of Ferrari vehicles on Xbox 360 games only...meaning that if someone wanted to make a game with Ferraris on PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, or Atari 2600, then they could still do so as long as they obtained the license separately and directly from Ferrari.

So, did Sega's licensing agreement with Ferrari expire or something? I generally wouldn't think the expiration of the license would affect games that were already created and published, but maybe that's how this particular deal was laid out. Also, why wouldn't EA have Ferraris on other versions of NFS Shift...was Ferrari's asking price for the license too high to justify it?

DonMigs85

Ah, so perhaps last year MS only held the Ferrari license for North America, but it more recently spread to Europe?

Polk

DonMigs85 said:
Ah, so perhaps last year MS only held the Ferrari license for North America, but it more recently spread to Europe?
Supercar Challenge was released in US in 09. And it had Ferraris (plus it was PS3 exclusive).

ULTROS!

So I'm guessing future PS3/PSP racing games won't have Ferarri on 'em, even GT6?

V_Ben

Banned
Polk said:
Supercar Challenge was released in US in 09. And it had Ferraris (plus it was PS3 exclusive).
Yep. Perhaps they could have obtained the license directly from Ferrari. I'm a bit concerned by car manufacturers doing this exclusivity bs. Seems kinda dumb :/

Polk

ULTROS! said:
So I'm guessing future PS3/PSP racing games won't have Ferarri on 'em, even GT6?
Ferrari The Race Experience will be released in EU on PSN on October 6th. You don't need to have Ferrari Challenge to play it. That's so bizzare.

Agent X

ULTROS! said:

Well, in light of what was discussed above, it looks like Microsoft's licensing agreement only affects Xbox 360 games. It shouldn't prohibit Ferraris from appearing in PS3/PSP or other platforms.

My understanding now is this: Microsoft owns licensing rights to Ferrari vehicles for Xbox 360 games. If you want to make an Xbox 360 game with Ferraris, then you can sublicense the rights from Microsoft. You might be paying less for this license through Microsoft, than if you had to license the Ferrari rights directly from Ferrari, which you would have to do if you wanted to make your game for PS3, Wii, etc.

I doubt this would affect large publishers like Sony with the Gran Turismo series, or other games that are centered around Ferrari, like Ferrari: The Race Experience. I'm just wondering if this might've somehow affected OutRun Online Arcade. Was Ferrari asking too much for the license to justify Sega publishing it in North America? Also, did Sega's license expire (perhaps some clause affecting digital distribution), and if so, did they chose not to renew it even for their non-US markets (figuring they wouldn't get enough new sales out of the game to justify renewal)?

Wow, awful news :( Such an amazing game!

Quick question - I downloaded this originally on my old PS3 before it died. I haven't re-downloaded it on my new one, can I still play this or am I out of luck?

ULTROS!

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Wow, awful news :( Such an amazing game!

Quick question - I downloaded this originally on my old PS3 before it died. I haven't re-downloaded it on my new one, can I still play this or am I out of luck?

I believe you can, just sync your old account to your new PS3 and look for it in you downloads history.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Agent X said:
It appears that this licensing only affects the inclusion of Ferrari vehicles on Xbox 360 games only...meaning that if someone wanted to make a game with Ferraris on PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, or Atari 2600, then they could still do so as long as they obtained the license separately and directly from Ferrari.
That's the way I understand it. Along with NFS Shift, Ferrari Challenge, and GT5, Gameloft also made a Ferrari racing game for the iDevices that was also ported to DSiWare. They probably went through Ferrari, too.

As long as the game doesn't show up on the X360, MS can't do a thing about it, I suppose. If it does show up on the X360, then MS has some exclusivity clout.

I just bought this game on XBLA because of this thread. I have always been on the fence about buying it, but now I"m afraid of another Ultimate MK3 situation where I assumed it would always be there, put off my purchase, and now it's too late.

Benedict

On the "first" single-player "track" there were about 35000 registered players in the high-score list in EU.

So maybe they thought the game wasn't profitable enough?

Top Bottom