• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

It's getting to the point where my thumb cramps are becoming my undoing instead of the drains. I really want to play Theatre of Magic on Steam or PC or something.

With browser games where they are at now, I think Pinball Arcade would be a perfect browser title.

Cardigan

It's about all I've played since I bought the game. Still not good enough to get to the rescue part yet, though. I've gotten 5 maybe 6 jewels at most.

It's not too hard to get to the rescue if you go the lamp/bazaar route. Otherwise it can be tedious to complete all the missions.

Xander51

It's getting to the point where my thumb cramps are becoming my undoing instead of the drains. I really want to play Theatre of Magic on Steam or PC or something.

With browser games where they are at now, I think Pinball Arcade would be a perfect browser title.

The game is supposed to come to PC this summer. I'm totally going to double-dip.

The game is supposed to come to PC this summer. I'm totally going to double-dip.

I know it accesses Facebook to determine which games you have access to, so maybe there's a chance we won't have to double dip?

Then again, Pinball Arcade Free and the paid version do NOT cross communicate game ownership so it's probably a pipe dream.

Cardigan

I know it accesses Facebook to determine which games you have access to, so maybe there's a chance we won't have to double dip?

Then again, Pinball Arcade Free and the paid version do NOT cross communicate game ownership so it's probably a pipe dream.

Definitely not happening. They would be screwing themselves out of a bunch o' dough.

Minsc

Gold Member
I play this on my iPhone & iPad & I seear I feel like I have to authorize my purchases everytime I boot the game up. Is that happening to anyone else?

Did you update it to the newest version? I think it should fix that, I never noticed it though. Just tried it again now, and no authorizing needed.

Cardigan said:
Definitely not happening. They would be screwing themselves out of a bunch o' dough.

Yeah, only the iOS and PSN version share tables. Everything else you have to re-purchase. Hope that rumored update Farsight hinted at earlier last week on the PC version hits soon!

Cardigan

Did you update it to the newest version? I think it should fix that, I never noticed it though. Just tried it again now, and no authorizing needed.

Yeah, only the iOS and PSN version share tables. Everything else you have to re-purchase. Hope that rumored update Farsight hinted at earlier last week on the PC version hits soon!

This was Farsight's response to a request for a PC gameplay video.

We are still working on all of the PC features that have been requested and a distribution partner. Sorry, there is no PC video available at this time.

vazel

Banned
I've had my second monitor setup in portrait mode just waiting for the PC version to hit. Hope it happens soon and we don't have to wait until June or later.

Shaneus

I've had my second monitor setup in portrait mode just waiting for the PC version to hit. Hope it happens soon and we don't have to wait until June or later.
I've had the same, but in landscape. Only ever play iOS in landscape camera 3 locked view, get far better perspective on angles that way than with portrait IMO.

Cardigan

I've had the same, but in landscape. Only ever play iOS in landscape camera 3 locked view, get far better perspective on angles that way than with portrait IMO.

On iPad or iPhone? Or both? On iPhone I play landscape because portrait is too cramped for my hands. On iPad I prefer portrait because it feels more like a pinball table.

Shaneus

Just iPhone (no iPad). I'd imagine it'd be landscape on iPad too, though. Wider view means you can get a better idea of angles IMO. May "feel" (I guess that's the right word?) a little less like real pinball, but IRL I find myself getting lower to the table as a game goes on, so it kinda fits for me anyway.

(BTW I don't mean to use those quotation marks to sound condescending, just that it's not *quite* the right word I'm looking for, but can't find a better one :))

Cardigan

Just iPhone (no iPad). I'd imagine it'd be landscape on iPad too, though. Wider view means you can get a better idea of angles IMO. May "feel" (I guess that's the right word?) a little less like real pinball, but IRL I find myself getting lower to the table as a game goes on, so it kinda fits for me anyway.

(BTW I don't mean to use those quotation marks to sound condescending, just that it's not *quite* the right word I'm looking for, but can't find a better one :))

I know what you mean. I started off playing TPA with the low camera setting because I liked the better angle view. Eventually I switched to medium though because I liked getting a better overall view of the table.

Coldsnap

Anyone playing this on Galaxy Tablet 7.0? I was using my girlfriends and it just didn't look right, like the screen wasn't fast enough. Does the kindle fire have this game?

Any word on when the flipper lag problem is going to be fixed on PS3?

I've also encountered yet another bug. In Ripley's Believe It or Not, one of the standard goals is to make the skill shot. On the Vita, for whatever reason, the game doesn't count it toward the goal. I've made the skill shot, gotten the bonus points, but it won't mark off the goal. This means I can't get the trophy for beating all standard goals, and I can't unlock the wizard goals. Nice one.

Between the myriad bugs on both the PS3 and Vita versions, and the developer's apparent lack of care towards acknowledging or fixing the bugs on either of these systems, I cannot recommend that anyone purchase this game. It's too bad, because the game without so many bugs would be a total winner, but as it stands now it's unquestionably my biggest gaming disappointment of the year.

I encountered the same problem on Ripley's as well. It took about 9 skillshots before I was awarded the table goal.

Terrifically excited I'm going to Pinballz in Austin this weekend to try out these tables IRL for the first time! It'll be interesting to see how accurate the Vita version is to the real ones.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Terrifically excited I'm going to Pinballz in Austin this weekend to try out these tables IRL for the first time! It'll be interesting to see how accurate the Vita version is to the real ones.

I just checked the website--they have a Jack-bot and a World Cup Soccer. Play them! They're amazing.

Of course, that's in addition to the already stated classics--Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Star Trek: TNG and so on.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
They need to fuckin fix the ball disappearing/spazzing between/under the right flippers on Black Hole (360). It's totally ruining my enjoyment of BH and the table is hard enough as it is

Minsc

Gold Member
They need to fuckin fix the ball disappearing/spazzing between/under the right flippers on Black Hole (360). It's totally ruining my enjoyment of BH and the table is hard enough as it is

Well next week we should see the first two DLC tables hit the 360, with the enhanced lighting that's in the PS3 version, so cross your fingers they've addressed a few bugs with the DLC update as well, like they said they planned on doing (in general).

Dash Kappei

Well next week we should see the first two DLC tables hit the 360, with the enhanced lighting that's in the PS3 version, so cross your fingers they've addressed a few bugs with the DLC update as well, like they said they planned on doing (in general).

Oh cool, I'll buy 'em both.
Do we have a price for console DLC? Is it per table or per pack or maybe both like iOS?

I just checked the website--they have a Jack-bot and a World Cup Soccer. Play them! They're amazing.

Of course, that's in addition to the already stated classics--Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Star Trek: TNG and so on.

Thanks for the tips; I'll try to make the most of my limited time there.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I'm glad the game launched when it did but it's too bad that console gamers have essentially been playing a beta for two months. The DLC update seriously needs to include some fixes for the other tables too. And it would be nice if they'd adjust their new table releases/announcements so that we don't hear about "the new tables coming to phones" a month and a goddamned half before they ever come to consoles.

Dash Kappei

I would expect 400 points for a two-table bundle.

Hope so, I'm ok with that. I'd prefer an option for 200 points a table in case there's one I hate tho (I'm looking at you Ripley). Not for the money, €2,5 for a table is super worth it, but because I don't have a cc tied to Live (never will with all the accounts' hacking fiasco and how you need to call support to remove it) and I spend points wisely since when they're gone I usually buy them in bulk (4200 points or so).

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm glad the game launched when it did but it's too bad that console gamers have essentially been playing a beta for two months. The DLC update seriously needs to include some fixes for the other tables too. And it would be nice if they'd adjust their new table releases/announcements so that we don't hear about "the new tables coming to phones" a month and a goddamned half before they ever come to consoles.

Nothing can be done (well other than delaying everything else for MS/Sony's slow system). Android updates go live in just a matter of hours, can't beat that! They said the 3rd & 4th DLC tables will be out next week for Android, and then most likely the following week (two week from now) for iOS as well.

Hope so, I'm ok with that. I'd prefer an option for 200 points a table in case there's one I hate tho (I'm looking at you Ripley). Not for the money, €2,5 for a table is super worth it, but because I don't have a cc tied to Live (never will with all the accounts' hacking fiasco and how you need to call support to remove it) and I spend points wisely since when they're gone I usually buy them in bulk (4200 points or so).

I got the impression the DLC for consoles would only be sold in packs, but I could be mistaken.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think the DMD looking better is more of a necessity than anything, given that with CV it's essentially on the playfield and prone to zooming etc., whereas with other tables they can afford to have it static.

I never played CV, but it looks like it is integral like you say, looking forward to it.

They mentioned too that with this particular set of DLC tables, it was a universal update to the DMD code in the engine, so the look will retroactively update every table which uses a DMD when the game is updated with the DLC from CV.

Shaneus

I never played CV, but it looks like it is integral like you say, looking forward to it.

They mentioned too that with this particular set of DLC tables, it was a universal update to the DMD code in the engine, so the look will retroactively update every table which uses a DMD when the game is updated with the DLC from CV.
Likewise, never played it. But it looks like reworking the DMD engine was a must if they wanted to port this game.

BiggNife

Anyone playing this on Galaxy Tablet 7.0? I was using my girlfriends and it just didn't look right, like the screen wasn't fast enough. Does the kindle fire have this game?

It's not on the Amazon store, but I rooted my Fire and got it from the Android Market.

There is some small slowdown in spots, but overall it plays quite well and the game is absolutely perfect for the screen size

psst...jvm...rooting a Fire isn't nearly as bad as you might think it is. It takes all of a half hour.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nothing can be done (well other than delaying everything else for MS/Sony's slow system).

Then that's what they should do, like any sensible developer! Don't send it all to the places at the same time if console versions take a month, submit the tables to consoles and when they go up push the phone ones immediately.

Shaneus

Then that's what they should do, like any sensible developer! Don't send it all to the places at the same time if console versions take a month, submit the tables to consoles and when they go up push the phone ones immediately.
Would also give them more time to work out kinks for each particular platform. That way they're not skewing their userbase to a particular platform purely because of authorisation times.

360/PS3 - first.
iOS - two weeks later
Android - one week after that

Imagine how many bugs could be squashed for iOS and Android if they simply submitted the console ones first! Then, given the platforms are basically the same (engine-wise) they could roll those updates over into the next console version. Everybody wins!

Nyx

Love the game (XBLA), any news yet on new machines?

Would love this one to be in the game :

35_1.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
They just need to be sure to release The Addams Family eventually, because it will probably make them more money than all the DLC combined. Even if not, it'll still be close. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Is Medieval Madness, Bride Of Pinbot, and Advanced Lighting coming to the 360 this coming week?

The lighting upgrade for the original 4 tables on the 360 will be in the summer iirc, it's not coming with the DLC next week, but all the DLC tables on the 360 will have the advanced lighting that was in the original 4 on the PS3 and not the 360 (or any other platform).

I hope the better lighting eventually shows up on Vita/iOS/Mac/PC/Android as an option or something... if it's not on PC I'll be pretty disappointed, but not surprised since they didn't put it on the Mac version either.

Shaneus

Uuuuugh, really? Feels like they're really neglecting the 360 for some reason. Given they had great lighting on two tables, surely it couldn't have been difficult to implement it on the other two while working on the DLC?

Given the 360 is a major, major platform, I find it puzzling they're not submitting complete packages.

Echoes

There is this game and Zen Pinball 2 for the Vita, right? I'm not a huge fan (or a good player, for that matter) of pinball so I'm not sure what to pick between the two. Any guidance?

AEREC

There is this game and Zen Pinball 2 for the Vita, right? I'm not a huge fan (or a good player, for that matter) of pinball so I'm not sure what to pick between the two. Any guidance?

They're both great...Zen is cool to have for custom tables and PA for the classics.

Wonko_C

I'm neither a good player or a hardcore fan too, but I would choose Pinball Arcade because it is much better at explaining the table rules and has goals that you can go after to improve your skills. The ball feels much better than Zen's in my opinion, Zen's feels like it's on a planet with heavier gravity, but it's been so long since I've played real pinball that I don't know which one is more realistic, it's just that TPA feels a bit better. Zen has a better presentation, though, with more modes of play, online multiplayer, better leaderboard integration, etc.

Minsc

Gold Member

Zen is probably a better overall choice now, but I get the impression that this will be a better experience in the long run.

The zen tables are a bit more arcade-y feeling, since they don't exist in the real world, while the pinball arcade tables obviously aim to deliver the real pinball experience (which can be pretty amazing). Without any nostalgia to drive you towards real tables, it's a hard call. If you have access to a smartphone somewhere (iOS or Android), or 360, you could try them both out for free and see which type of simulation you enjoy more. Not sure if Zen is free on PSN like on XBLA.

Shaneus

Even without my love for real-world tables, I'd have to lean towards PA than Zen. My reasoning is that the tables in PA have all been designed by experienced, proven designers and made it to actual production for a reason.

Also, totally just beat the genie in TotAN. So fucking satisfying. Not sure how I feel about having done it though... now I've beat the main table goal, not so sure I want to score hunt.

Still not a *great* fan of the lamp as it adds too much unpredictability onto the table, but other than that it's a shitload of fun.

Remy

Finally managed to complete the Grand Finale in ToM. Felt so damn good.

Did anyone notice that on the Big Wheel in TM:BoP, the green section (just to the right of the 1 Billion) mistakenly reads "10 Billion" and not "10 Million", at least on the iOS version? I landed on it a few days ago and thought "Wait a second, that's not 10 billion points..."

Top Bottom