• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Triz

well the topic sure lit up on thier facebook page. There are plenty of tables Id like to see more than TZ, that would be alot cheaper to put out. Honestly they really need to work on thier distribution up front. Too many delays for mutliconsole releases. I love what they are giving but I dont want to double dip every time so I dont wait a month for a new table elsewhere.

Blu10

With nothing but guesswork on the price of the licence, I would gladly pay $10 for just that table, and I still doubt they would be able to afford the licence at that price point. As a pinball game their age demographic of players (and hence the players earning potential is higher) they could probably swing it. At least that is my hope. I would love to "own" that game in some manner without having to lay down 8 or more K, and make room for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hell no, Twilight Zone is the holy grail of a platform like this. I'd pay a premium for it, no question. Hell of a lot better than paying $4000 for the table itself.

I also agree, better to get the more notable tables to attract more attention to the game, though he did say for now... which is true. Right now they need to show people they can release DLC on platforms other than iOS/Android and patch the issues the tables that are out are having.

Shaneus

Yup. I'd be pretty happy with TZ and would gladly pay a decent amount to have it (whether it's Kickstarter or otherwise) but how will it be distributed? And when? On what platform, and will it be exclusive to kickstarters?

100% of their problems right now are related to release/distribution and quality control/assurance. They'd be fine if they nailed those, but with things as they are they look like a VERY unreliable company to expect anything from :/

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup. I'd be pretty happy with TZ and would gladly pay a decent amount to have it (whether it's Kickstarter or otherwise) but how will it be distributed? And when? On what platform, and will it be exclusive to kickstarters?

I thought it'd end up as just another table in TPA on all the platforms purchasable to anyone. I don't think they'd ever try to segment it.

I'd also much rather see the stretch goals of the kickstarter be more unreleased, expensively licensed tables than most anything else. This way they don't need to run 20 kickstarters to grab 20 expensive tables, maybe only 4-5 :)

Triz

They posted this on thier facebook:

Quick console update: The first 360 update will include both DLC packs. The PS3/Vita updates may include both DLC packs. They'll certainly include MM and Bride. All console updates are at least 3 weeks away from being released.

:(

Shaneus

I thought it'd end up as just another table in TPA on all the platforms purchasable to anyone. I don't think they'd ever try to segment it.

I'd also much rather see the stretch goals of the kickstarter be more unreleased, expensively licensed tables than most anything else. This way they don't need to run 20 kickstarters to grab 20 expensive tables, maybe only 4-5 :)
True, but if I put in, say, $50... where's the incentive when I get no discount or bonuses over Joe Public who can rock up and pay the same price for it?

Also... all console updates at least 3 weeks off. Meaning that the Android release is three weeks AND one DLC release ahead of it's console cousins and a couple of weeks off the iOS one. I mean, it's great that they're doing this but they're falling far, far behind in the expectations of not segmenting customers/platforms. Honestly, I think they would've been better off waiting for all platforms with the four tables to be released, getting all the engines performing at their best and in the background, working on DLC and releasing that at staggered times so they come out roughly the same periods. It's like they have completely different teams working in isolation who just release stuff to the public when they can, without any consideration to what the other teams are doing or how it makes the company look.

To top it all off, any table or game bugs are only fixed when DLC comes out. So the inconsistent lighting on existing tables (at least on the 360) has to wait until the DLC is released (another three weeks away at least). The ramp bug on iOS MM (still the main reason why I just cannot play it) has to wait until the next tables come out (still some two/three weeks away as well, going by the difference b/w Android and iOS last time) as well. Guys, just have one team working on implementing the tables and another working on the game engine!

Ugh, this is SO frustrating.

Minsc

Gold Member
True, but if I put in, say, $50... where's the incentive when I get no discount or bonuses over Joe Public who can rock up and pay the same price for it?

Also... all console updates at least 3 weeks off. Meaning that the Android release is three weeks AND one DLC release ahead of it's console cousins and a couple of weeks off the iOS one. I mean, it's great that they're doing this but they're falling far, far behind in the expectations of not segmenting customers/platforms. Honestly, I think they would've been better off waiting for all platforms with the four tables to be released, getting all the engines performing at their best and in the background, working on DLC and releasing that at staggered times so they come out roughly the same periods. It's like they have completely different teams working in isolation who just release stuff to the public when they can, without any consideration to what the other teams are doing or how it makes the company look.

To top it all off, any table or game bugs are only fixed when DLC comes out. So the inconsistent lighting on existing tables (at least on the 360) has to wait until the DLC is released (another three weeks away at least). The ramp bug on iOS MM (still the main reason why I just cannot play it) has to wait until the next tables come out (still some two/three weeks away as well, going by the difference b/w Android and iOS last time) as well. Guys, just have one team working on implementing the tables and another working on the game engine!

Ugh, this is SO frustrating.

The lighting had to be redone by hand or something they said, it's not just a quick fix.

Blame MS/Sony for the lengthy release process, I don't think it's entirely FarSight's fault here. On Steam and Android the updates go out instantly. iOS is just a matter of days to a week usually. Yes, it sucks that MS/Sony take weeks-month, but that is hardly FarSight's fault imo.

The next iOS DLC is supposed to be soon, next week, and Android was supposed to be this week, dunno if it got delayed again.

As for why put in $50 if you'll just get the same $5 tables as everyone else, I think it's just a matter of do you want to help make the tables happen or not. If not, then maybe there are no $5 tables for everyone else. I also don't think $50 will be base entry, probably more like $10-$20 for a DLC code. Then down the road, you decide if going from $10 to $25 is worth getting another licensed table in the game (and another DLC code for that table).

Cardigan

Not their fault, though--that's on Sony's authorization process.

Yeah, but they said they submitted the first DLC update over a month ago. They also said the authorization process takes about a month from Sony. This means the update they sent must not have passed authorization, so they have to do it all over again. I think Farsight is partly to blame here. Heck, the PS3 initial release got delayed because they sent Sony a build that contained a bug which would have prevented the game from ever being patched/updated with DLC. Farsight clearly has had some problems with their QA and I'm chalking these most recent delays up to that.

Minsc

Gold Member
The Pinball Arcade: The Android update with Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse will be available any minute. In addition to the new tables, there have been some performance improvements made on some devices. We've also added multiple plunger cams and one more gameplay cam. Let us know what you think!

Looks like they're still on track... DLC Pack #2 is out now for Android! :)

FoxSpirit

Aaaaand... update broke my Bride of Pinbot. Runs really slow now on my SGS-II. But seemed stable at least.

ToM also suffers from some lighter slowdown now but looks much better.

BiggNife

Anyone else with the Android version of TPA noticing some weird bugs?

I just downloaded Cirqus Voltaire and there was a point where there were two pinballs on the table even though there should have been one. As soon as one pinball left the board the game acted normally as if my turn ended even though the other pinball was still on the field. Also, the game often doesn't go to front/plunger-view at the start of a ball, even though I can still launch the ball and everything.

I decided to buy Bride of Pinbot a few days ago and it seems buggy too. If I get a high score, it shows up twice on the leaderboard for some reason. Also, one time it declared me grand champion when I was like #4 on the high score list.

I love TPA, but bugs like these are pretty annoying. And it doesn't seem like they've released any bugfix patches since before the first DLC pack.

Shaneus

The lighting had to be redone by hand or something they said, it's not just a quick fix.

Blame MS/Sony for the lengthy release process, I don't think it's entirely FarSight's fault here. On Steam and Android the updates go out instantly. iOS is just a matter of days to a week usually. Yes, it sucks that MS/Sony take weeks-month, but that is hardly FarSight's fault imo.

The next iOS DLC is supposed to be soon, next week, and Android was supposed to be this week, dunno if it got delayed again.

As for why put in $50 if you'll just get the same $5 tables as everyone else, I think it's just a matter of do you want to help make the tables happen or not. If not, then maybe there are no $5 tables for everyone else. I also don't think $50 will be base entry, probably more like $10-$20 for a DLC code. Then down the road, you decide if going from $10 to $25 is worth getting another licensed table in the game (and another DLC code for that table).
Yeah, I guess... just frustrating!

But the $50 I mentioned was more a random figure I plucked out of the air. If they went down a "donor" route it'd be more acceptable, but by nature Kickstarter rewards donors of various amounts. There's no real way of implementing that reward system into something like Pinball Arcade that I can see anyway... unless it's something awesome like your initials as one of the default high scores (maybe randomised amongst backers) on the table you donated for? That could actually be pretty damn cool!.

FoxSpirit

But as somebody said, why not get a middleware like Unigine for the game?? Easy multiplatform without constant rewriting for each platform. Plus individual trouble on each platform.

The fan forums already are abuzz with the slowdown from the patch, BoPB is near unplayable.

Shaneus

Fuuuck. If the same thing happens with iOS (which is likely... problems seem across the board with PA, even performance ones) will that mean we'll get new tables, but have to wait ANOTHER month for the next DLC for the existing problems to get fixed?

I'm going to hold off on updating mine when it comes out until there's confirmation.

Bebpo

Banned
As a PS3 owner, I'm just giving up on the game and plan on coming back to it next year when there's more tables. The slow drizzle of new tables combined with all the glitches which who knows how long until they are fixed kind of kills all the earlier enthusiasm.

At least if the PC version was out and updated as quick as the iOS version, that'd be a good solution. But PC version is...?

BiggNife

But as somebody said, why not get a middleware like Unigine for the game?? Easy multiplatform without constant rewriting for each platform. Plus individual trouble on each platform.

The fan forums already are abuzz with the slowdown from the patch, BoPB is near unplayable.

I just tried the old tables for the first time since the CV patch.

BoPB seems.... pretty okay to me? There's a little slowdown here and there but it's nowhere near unplayable. I'm guessing it's worse on different Android devices. On the other hand, TOTAN has way more slowdown than it used to and there's some really nasty screen tearing when it switches perspective, and that definitely wasn't there pre-update. The table does look a whole lot nicer but honestly I'd rather have the old version without the bugs.

Shaneus

As a PS3 owner, I'm just giving up on the game and plan on coming back to it next year when there's more tables. The slow drizzle of new tables combined with all the glitches which who knows how long until they are fixed kind of kills all the earlier enthusiasm.

At least if the PC version was out and updated as quick as the iOS version, that'd be a good solution. But PC version is...?
Yeah, a good solution for people being pissed about the delays would be to get a PC version out so people who don't have one fucking specific platform it's coming out on actually have an alternative to waiting.

OrangeOak

A bit over 2 hours I think. As for number of extra balls, it was whatever the maximum per-game is on that table. 5 maybe? Once you hit the maximum, if you "light extra ball" again, collecting it just gives you 1 million points instead of another ball. Collecting a special at that point I think gives you nothing. There's nothing complex about my scoring strategy on Ripley's. Just visit continents a bunch of times and rack up points in those modes. The only mode I don't bother with is Europe (grave stones), since hitting those spot targets carries some risk of a bad bounce into the drain.

Really, the most important thing (as with most tables) is to learn to keep the ball under your control.

Thanks for this awesome tip.
I always thought that success in this game depends on luck, not on skill but maybe it's because I've never really put much time into any pinball game.
Now when I'm trying to control the ball I'm beating my previous records by a lot.
My current hi score is 300+ mil, but I think there is a big chance that I will double it in a few days.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
If any of you guys are playing this on the Vita and are needing some leaderboard fodder, feel free to add me to your friends list... LagunaX321

I will be purchasing Zen Pinball 2 for the Vita when it becomes available as well.

Benedict

Comment from the The Pinball Arcade on Facebook regarding EU release:
Still in the submission/approval process with the SCEE. We're as anxious to get them out as you are!

Minsc

Gold Member
Kind of expected the iOS update to land by now. :/

(ie. take my money)

You're in luck, just ~12 hours later (iOS update now live):

What's New in Version 1.1.1

New DLC (Circus Voltaire™ and Funhouse™)
Medieval Madness fixes for troll bombs and super skill shot.
Multiple Plunger cams added.
A fourth gameplay camera added.
Bug Fixes

I'd love to play these tables, but the quality of the ps3 version sounds like it needs work. They seem way more caught up in getting DLC out fast than addressing the criticisms.

Shaneus

MM has definitely been fixed, flippers are a lot closer but something still doesn't feel quite right with it :/ DMDs look WAY better overall, too.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd love to play these tables, but the quality of the ps3 version sounds like it needs work. They seem way more caught up in getting DLC out fast than addressing the criticisms.

Based on what though? They could very well have addressed the criticism's (and they do in mobile/tablet/mac updates), it's just addressing them takes weeks/months on consoles - that is, more time than the game's even been out. So it's completely impossible to have addressed anything even if they did, thanks to the turnaround on consoles.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice, I was hoping the kickstarter would surface at some point... didn't expect it so soon.

As I said in the thread, they are missing out on a ton of money if they don't get a couple tiers between $10 and $100.

Also, the $100 tier gives the table with the operator menu... wonder how that will work for other tables, maybe they will add it in for them later as more DLC?

Shaneus

Didn't seem that way to me. The lighting was noticeably different.
I don't think they're close *enough*, but it definitely went SDTM far less than prior to the pack. An improvement, but yeah... not 100% accurate. They also forgot the fucking drawbridge texture (surely the most noticeable/easiest to fix bug?) but after playing it for longer than when I made my first post, I can definitely say it's better than the initial release. But this is why I have the problem with their release model. Bug? Wait a month for a fix, regardless of platform.

Also, I want to read the review that this quote on the kickstarter came from:
“This game is superb along with great presentation” –Inentertainment
Bahahaha.

Edit: Fuck, did they just mention ST:TNG on their Kickstarter? That should be on top of the fucking page! I'd donate $10 for TZ, but a million for TNG.

vazel

Banned
So after getting fed up waiting for the PC version I finally cave in and buy the PS3 version and there's no dlc out yet? wth farsight...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So after getting fed up waiting for the PC version I finally cave in and buy the PS3 version and there's no dlc out yet? wth farsight...

They're stuck waiting for console vendor approval; the DLC has been submitted.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Enjoying Cirqus IMMENSELY right now now. Fun theme, good flow, good depth thanks to stacking multiballs. My one negative might be that it's a bit on the easy side. I nearly hit Wizard mode in my second session, just knocking the ball around (I've never played the physical table).

Funhouse has felt much more meh in comparison, but I'll give it a few more shots.

Re: Twilight Zone Kickstarter - I'm 100% in for $10. It's awesome to see the KS launch so strong... that basically guarantees that the campaign will be successful.

I do think FarSight's (lack of) messaging is going to anger a lot of people. I full expect this table to cost LESS than $10 when it launches. That's fine with me - I'll pitch in a little extra, as an enthusiast, to ensure that this actually happens. But I expect a chorus of people complaining when the table launches at $5 that they could have just waited and saved their $$. There is nothing wrong with what FarSight is doing - it's just the opposite of what has become the "norm" on KS.

dkeane

Like the new tables.

!!BTW!!
I've haven't been able to get the IOS Facebook connect/login stuff to work since launch.
BUT, I found out that if you delete the Facebook app it'll let you connect.
Then you can re-download the Facebook app and everything is happy.

Shaneus

Just saw in a newsletter emailed out by Farsight this morning that Pinball Arcade cracked the top 20 on PSN (#19) last month, and was actually the #2 game on Vita's PSN. Sounds like they've done a decent job!

Congrats, guys.

Cardigan

FarSight's response to a question about the PC release
Things are looking good for the PC version! We hope to make an announcement about this soon.

Please be Steam! I think I'm gonna hold off on buying any more tables until we hear about the PC.

Top Bottom