• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

ToxicAdam

I still can't beat all the castles on MM. It's frustrating.

I wish there were better stat keeping on these tables. Total games played, average score, best ball, etc. It would seem real easy to code for.

Echoes

My first play in The Arabian Nights table... 12mil. :0 I don't know how good that is, but one of the guys in Player One Podcast is having a hard time getting over 5mil so that's... good? It's really fun.

Vita PSN ID: Coloree

Minsc

Gold Member
There's a pretty big update on their Facebook page on the status of things:

Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire have been approved by WMS for release! We wish that we had dates to announce exactly when. We understand your frustration. In an effort to keep you guys up to date with the latest news, we will be posting and updating the status of each platform more regularly. Here is today's update:

iOS - An update with DLC Pack #2 (Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire) will be submitted to Apple this week. It should be approved and released by the middle of the month. The update that adds DLC Pack #3 in June will include Game Center and an improved login method for our leaderboards.

Android - An update with DLC Pack #2 (Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire) will be released this week.

PS3/Vita - An update that includes DLC Pack #1 is currently at Sony North America for approval. The European launch pack is currently in submission at SCEE. Once approved, the additional DLC Packs will be immediately submitted (#2 in North America and #1 and #2 in Europe). Improved lighting is still planned for the Vita version.

360 - An update that includes both DLC Pack #1 and #2 will be submitted to Microsoft this week for approval. Improved lighting is scheduled to be implemented in time for the next DLC release.

Mac - DLC Pack #1 and #2 will be submitted and released shortly. We were going to wait until the lighting engine on Mac OS was improved, but that is taking longer than expected.

PC - We are still working on the PC engine. We will not release it until the graphics are at least up to the standards set by the 360 and PS3 versions. We also need to find distribution partners (traditional desktop and/or cabinet).

3DS - We have a plan to get the performance we need out of the 3DS to run the ROM emulation, however some R&D in needed before we know for sure whether it will work. The 3DS version is on hold until we can invest the time and resources into this R&D.

Wii/Wii-U - FarSight developed 12 titles for the Wii. We wish that Pinball Arcade could be #13. Unfortunately, the Wii isn't powerful enough to run Pinball Arcade. We are very excited about the Wii-U and hope to release as close to the launch of the platform as possible.

We copied this to the "General Information" area under "About" on this page and plan to keep things updated there as best we can.

Apparently since this update, they confirmed Microsoft rejected the first DLC pack, let's hope maybe it's out before DLC pack #3 hits Android next month... :p

It really shouldn't be that hard to put together their own client for PC either without the need for approvals, don't know why they don't pursue that.

Improved lighting planned for Mac, Vita, and PC (if it comes out). 3DS on hold, and the Wii isn't powerful enough to run the game lol.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Apparently since this update, they confirmed Microsoft rejected the first DLC pack, let's hope maybe it's out before DLC pack #3 hits Android next month... :p

It really shouldn't be that hard to put together their own client for PC either without the need for approvals, don't know why they don't pursue that.

Improved lighting planned for Mac, Vita, and PC (if it comes out). 3DS on hold, and the Wii isn't powerful enough to run the game lol.

Did they say why MS rejected that DLC pack?

Also, glad to see confirmation of improved lighting in the Vita eventually.

Shaneus

That pretty much confirms that I'll be sticking with iOS until the PC stuff is released rather than waiting for the lighting to get fixed with the 360 one. Also means that rather than having a decent price point where I can pick and choose which DLC I'd want for it (I doubt I'd be interested in grabbing Funhouse and CV as a double pack for 360) it sounds like it'd be a all-or-nothing situation.

Really surprised they're moving so far forward with the Mac version without giving more of a mention of the fact they're working on a PC one (other than working on improvement to the engine). I'd have thought it'd be a bigger priority given how most of their hardcore market would be using it (what with the emulators and such already available).

Oh well, still have my iPhone to tide me over. With the too-fast ramps and botched layout in Medieval Madness that has basically held me back from playing it :/

Minsc

Gold Member
At least the DLC for the 360 will be 4 tables (Packs 1 + 2), so I guess that will be ahead of PS3/Vita for a while, which is waiting for just Pack 1.

Really surprised they're moving so far forward with the Mac version without giving more of a mention of the fact they're working on a PC one (other than working on improvement to the engine). I'd have thought it'd be a bigger priority given how most of their hardcore market would be using it (what with the emulators and such already available).

It sounds like they just have no one to turn to. There's no one like Apple's App store on the PC (well, there's Steam, but Valve rejected the app, because "it's pinball lol"). So I say, just make your own front-end store/client like all those Gamehouse casual games and pocket near 100% of the money, instead of giving 30% away to a 3rd party.

Shaneus

It sounds like they just have no one to turn to. There's no one like Apple's App store on the PC (well, there's Steam, but Valve rejected the app, because "it's pinball lol"). So I say, just make your own front-end store/client like all those Gamehouse casual games and pocket near 100% of the money, instead of giving 30% away to a 3rd party.
I'd be surprised if they haven't looked at GOG as a potential distribution point. The client base is very left-of-centre and more likely to buy something new on there that's not a big name as opposed to Steam (which is filled with indie shovelware that's very easy to look over, as well as a less than friendly comminity... at least, compared to GOG), plus they have every pinball game (save for Dave's Midnight Magic) released for PC on there.

360 or iOS? I think I added you (or at least messaged you) but I'm questioning whether to double-dip on the DLC for 360 when the PC version is probably going to be my main "big screen" platform.

You're on my 360 friends list already. That's the main platform I'll be playing this on.

Minsc

Gold Member
WTH would they reject it? They approve tables like Wolverine and Spiderman on PFX2, but reject two of the greatest tables of all time. WTH MS! :-(

They are resubmitting them again this week along with the second DLC pack of tables (Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire), so who knows how long that takes (I guess a month?), but eventually you should see 4 tables released, unless Microsoft rejects it again.

Pyccko

Is this thing still screwy on PS3? I've got a pinball itch needs scratchin', but I haven't bought this yet cause of the problems. Any news?

They are resubmitting them again this week along with the second DLC pack of tables (Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire), so who knows how long that takes (I guess a month?), but eventually you should see 4 tables released, unless Microsoft rejects it again.

I guess i do not understand how all this works then? I thought they check for bugs, then the game is released.

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess i do not understand how all this works then? I thought they check for bugs, then the game is released.

I guess they found bugs, so it didn't get released. :p

I'm not sure exactly what the exact reason for the rejection was, but there is a pretty lengthy process involved on console in certification of DLC/patches going by their comments. I imagine it'd be near impossible to line up releases now... what, with a 4-5 week window on the 360/PSN, then you have it all ready to go, and MS rejects your DLC, what do you do, postpone Android/iOS (which have already been postponed for the lengthy MS/PSN process) even longer? And can you "interrupt" a DLC? Where you had it set to go on PSN in line with the others, but at the last minute one gets rejected, then you need to resubmit, and what, wait another 4 weeks for that one to get reviewed again? It's very complicated sounding to get it all in order.

I guess they found bugs, so it didn't get released. :p

I'm not sure exactly what the exact reason for the rejection was, but there is a pretty lengthy process involved on console in certification of DLC/patches. I imagine it'd be near impossible to line up releases now... what, with a 4-5 week window on the 360/PSN, then you have it all ready to go, and MS rejects your DLC, what do you do, postpone Android/iOS (which have already been postponed for the MS/PSN) even longer? And can you "interrupt" a DLC? Where you had it set to go on in line with the others, but at the last minute one gets rejected, then you need to resubmit, and what, wait another 4 weeks? It's very complicated sounding to get it all in order.

I see. Hopefully we get them early June then.

I don't see why they couldn't use Amazon.

Wonko_C

I wish I could buy the tables stand-alone, I want Circus Voltaire but I don't care about Funhouse (Rudy is annoying and reminds me of Chabelo)

chabelo300x350.jpg

OrangeOak

I'm in love in "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" and I play it almost exclusively.
I was never a big fan of pinball but this game is so addictive and fun.
I love fact that all tables are real.
I still suck at this game though.
What hi scores are you guys getting ? I have like one friend on leaderboards so I don't have any comparison and top 10 is always ridiculous high.

Glix

I really like what these guys are trying to do, but honestly...

Maybe they tried to go to too many platforms...

But they should probably remove the "mission statement" until they fix these like balls going through bumpers and completely different physics on different platforms.

Kind of makes the mission statement look like bullshit.

Wonko_C

You can buy just the tables you want

On PS3/Vita? It doesn't seem that way to me, with the way they talk about "DLC Packs".

Did you know that Rudy is actually Ed Boon, creator of Mortal Kombat?

That's pretty awesome... I still find Rudy obnoxious though. :p The whole theme of the table infact. I feel a similar apprehension to Taxi and Whirlwind from WPHoF, all of them are from late 80's early 90's. There's something about the sound effects that is so "Sega Genesis"-like that rubs me the wrong way for some reason. (And I love the Sega Genesis)

Tables from the early 80's with their bleeps and bloops and from the mid 90's with the DCS sound system are where I have found most of my favorites.

Remy

That's pretty awesome... I still find Rudy obnoxious though. :p The whole theme of the table infact. I feel a similar apprehension to Taxi and Whirlwind from WPHoF, all of them are from late 80's early 90's. There's something about the sound effects that is so "Sega Genesis"-like that rubs me the wrong way for some reason. (And I love the Sega Genesis)

Tables from the early 80's with their bleeps and bloops and from the mid 90's with the DCS sound system are where I have found most of my favorites.

My problem with Taxi and Funhouse is they were the two tables (besides Addams Family) that I played the most as a kid. It gives a nice warm nostalgia feeling but at the same time I feel like I've seen it all before.

With you on the sound effects - ESPECIALLY the Skill Shot on Taxi, never mind all the cab calls.

I'm in love in "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" and I play it almost exclusively.
I was never a big fan of pinball but this game is so addictive and fun.
I love fact that all tables are real.
I still suck at this game though.
What hi scores are you guys getting ? I have like one friend on leaderboards so I don't have any comparison and top 10 is always ridiculous high.

1.5 billion here. Xbox version. And yeah, it's a fun table.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been playing A TON of Pinball Arcade on iPad the last week or two... drained my battery multiple times. I played it a little when it came out, but for whatever reason I've been in the right mood recently. I first fired it up for this feature I wrote (http://wireless.ign.com/articles/122/1224463p1.html), but I've still been playing non-stop.

Sunday night I managed to get a top 100 score on MM (165,000,000) and I still had at least two castles to go. I mostly just took full advantage of multiballs and scored every extra ball possible. I fear what can be done score-wise on that table if someone actually does clear the castles.

The crazy thing is that even with just the 6 tables, there is already enough variety to keep me coming back evening after evening. I'm burnt out on MM and ToM for now, but I actually rediscovered Bride of Pin-Bot tonight. I had a low opinion of it at first, but now after more sessions I appreciate it a lot more. I have a similarly low opinion of Ripley's right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if I warmed up to that too, eventually.

OrangeOak

1.5 billion here. Xbox version. And yeah, it's a fun table.

So you are basically top 5.Like I said, these scores are ridiculousy high and I even don't dream about achieveing something like that.
But congratulations man,awesome score.I even can't imagine how you have done that.
How long it took you to score 1.5billion ? How many balls ?
My hi score right now is 70+mln lol.
Lack of pinball players on my friend list is sad, because I don't have anyone to compete with.

So you are basically top 5.Like I said, these scores are ridiculousy high and I even don't dream about achieveing something like that.
But congratulations man,awesome score.I even can't imagine how you have done that.
How long it took you to score 1.5billion ? How many balls ?
My hi score right now is 70+mln lol.
Lack of pinball players on my friend list is sad, because I don't have anyone to compete with.

A bit over 2 hours I think. As for number of extra balls, it was whatever the maximum per-game is on that table. 5 maybe? Once you hit the maximum, if you "light extra ball" again, collecting it just gives you 1 million points instead of another ball. Collecting a special at that point I think gives you nothing. There's nothing complex about my scoring strategy on Ripley's. Just visit continents a bunch of times and rack up points in those modes. The only mode I don't bother with is Europe (grave stones), since hitting those spot targets carries some risk of a bad bounce into the drain.

Really, the most important thing (as with most tables) is to learn to keep the ball under your control.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just caught this tidbit on TPA's Facebook:

We have good news and bad news to report on the issue of licensed tables. We’ve finally succeeded in negotiating all of the licenses we’d need to bring the Twilight Zone to the Pinball Arcade. This is unquestionably one of the greatest pinball tables of all time (and is currently #1 in IPDB’s user rankings). However the licenses are VEY expensive- so expensive that the table probably isn’t commercially viable. Some of you have suggested a Kickstarter project to raise money for the license costs and we’re considering this. We’d like to ask your opinion- is this a good idea? If we did it what should the rewards be for backers, and at what contribution levels? We’d appreciate your thoughts!

Thoughts?

Triz

I'd donate a to get a digital copy. Its one of the best tables of all time. Not my personal favorite, but I'd put plenty of time into it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they gave us an estimate on total cost I'd be glad to donate.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just caught this tidbit on TPA's Facebook:

Thoughts?

Cut to the chase and tell us how much it costs to get The Addams Family... those are my thoughts! But, I think it's worth a shot. Maybe it gets so overfunded they can add in goals for additional tables beyond TZ & TAF.

But I think it might be a mistake this early, I'm not sure (do it now while it's hot vs wait till the bugs are cleared out a few months down the road)... well just that the gaming Kickstarter community is fairly PC focused, and they don't have a PC presence yet. I think it'd be smart if they mentioned more PC details if they go ahead with this.

Top Bottom