• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
I see T2 is at nearly $8K with 27 days to go, so it's in good shape, I think.

I don't think so... consider both prior kickstarters:

The Twilight Zone
Star Trek The Next Generation

TZ had ~$25k three days in, with only a $55k goal... this may not even have $10k three days in. TZ also had a ~$15k bump in the middle which this may not see.

STTNG also had close to $25k three days in, with only a $45k goal, and came in $20k under TZ.

There's very little incentive to back these kickstarters, which is why they don't get over-funded, as you're getting a worse deal backing than waiting... of course if others don't back then you get nothing for waiting, as the chance to own the table is gone.

But code redemption and FarSight's past history with these have left a bad taste in many of their fans' mouths, TZ finished funding at $77k, STTNG ended at $52k, this is probably on track for $30k without picking up the pace given kickstarters tend to have decreasing subsequent daily pledge totals for a while. I hope it gets funded, but I'm not hugely optimistic with the start is has. Perhaps it will bottom out around $2k, as people will donate what is needed to make it succeed if push comes to shove, but I'm not sure.

Shaneus

I think you're right, Minsc :( All well and good for folks like us to say they'll support it just to see it released, but for the majority who see KS as essentially a pre-order store, they'll feel very dubious about backing something else.

For a push, they need to get some of the original creators of these tables to spruik FarSight's efforts in converting these tables over. At the moment, it just looks like a company converting something someone else did, but if you get Steve Ritchie talking about preserving the table I guarantee you'd get a hell of a boost. And from what I heard of him during an interview a few years back, it doesn't sound like he's incredibly busy so he's bound to have time to support it.

I wonder if he's on Twitter...

Elios83

Sorry for the bump but I wanted to ask if there's a release date for the Vita version of the WhiteWater table.
It was one of my favourites when I was a teen.
Also it is possible to have some Data Est love?
I mean Hook, Lethal Weapon 3, Tales from the Crypt, come on :D!

joeblow

Sorry for the bump but I wanted to ask if there's a release date for the Vita version of the WhiteWater table.
Table Pack #13 (Space Shuttle and Whitewater) is due out early July for the PS3/Vita version. If it doesn't come out next Tuesday (July 2), I'd say it's guaranteed the Tuesday after.

Most likely it'll happen next week though because Table Pack #14 (Pin*Bot and Centaur) is due out for the PS3/Vita in mid-July. I doubt Farsight releases both packs back to back.

Shaneus

Also it is possible to have some Data Est love?
I mean Hook, Lethal Weapon 3, Tales from the Crypt, come on :D!
I belive Data East falls under the Stern agreement, but all the tables you're talking about require licenses of some kind. Unfortunately, I doubt the owners of those IPs are as generous as Elvira in allowing free use!

blurrygil

Table Pack #13 (Space Shuttle and Whitewater) is due out early July for the PS3/Vita version. If it doesn't come out next Tuesday (July 2), I'd say it's guaranteed the Tuesday after.

Most likely it'll happen next week though because Table Pack #14 (Pin*Bot and Centaur) is due out for the PS3/Vita in mid-July. I doubt Farsight releases both packs back to back.

suhhhhhhhweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Shaneus

Still waiting for the next pack on iOS... I'm just hanging for, um, whatever it is that's due. I've forgotten already.

But I want it. Although I'm still having WAY too much fun with Centaur. God damn, I love that game.

Shaneus

All wizard goals on Centaur completed. Holy christ, 5-ball multiball is so damn good... especially when you have the ability to "top up" lost balls mid-session. Got down to two at one stage and built it back up to 5. Ungh.

I think it's my favourite game on there now.

vg260

Finally have a phone that can run this game, and am surprised how decent it looks. Might pick up a few tables for on the go. Do the Android tables ever go on sale?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I posted a link to the T2 Kickstarter on Stern Pinball's Facebook page, I hope someone notices there.

I believe James Cameron and Ahnuld are both on twitter, anyone try to reach them for an RT?

So this Saturday I'm going to my brothers place on the north side of Chicago, mostly just to hang out, play poker, have some drinks, etc. Probably going to spend the night on his couch and go to Headquarters Beercade on Sunday. Pretty stoked, I honestly have not played a real pinball machine probably since college where out student center had a Ripley's machine that I played quite a bit.

Shaneus

I posted a link to the T2 Kickstarter on Stern Pinball's Facebook page, I hope someone notices there.

I believe James Cameron and Ahnuld are both on twitter, anyone try to reach them for an RT?
I was thinking that Steve Ritchie should be in on it as well, but other than his website, I don't think he has any online presence at all. Maybe I'll see if he has any contact details on there. I'd love to see an update from FS with an official Steve Ritchie endorsement.

It's kind of weird... they had that PAPA TV KS a month or two ago and that managed to get around $70k from memory, you'd have to think that the vast majority of those backers would be TPA supporters as well. Where are they? Maybe we could get the PAPA TV people to spruik the T2 KS as well?

Christ, I think I'm doing more marketing than FarSight.

Mollymauk

As a 360 player I've decided just to wait for the Ps4 version to come out. Doesn't seem worth it to get the new tables (even at a discount) if there are going to be better versions of them available soon. Sucks that my collection will be split between two pieces of hardware, but what are you gonna do.

Minsc

Gold Member
As a 360 player I've decided just to wait for the Ps4 version to come out. Doesn't seem worth it to get the new tables (even at a discount) if there are going to be better versions of them available soon. Sucks that my collection will be split between two pieces of hardware, but what are you gonna do.

Heh, just wait until you have to buy all 250 tables all over again on the PS5 :p

Shaneus

Why split them? Buy them all on both and then you don't have to worry ;)

Vyse24

These are the 2 sites I go to see if there are any updates:
http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/fillpoint-llc
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/149567/Fillpoint,_LLC

The bottom one is probably the more reliable as they tell you when they update. As you can see, it updated this morning with nothing so no news to report from the case.

And I go here for the court schedules:
http://www.nynb.uscourts.gov/calendar
The case is in Albany, and it's only on Wednesdays because that's when they do Chapter 11-related issues.

Shaneus

These are the 2 sites I go to see if there are any updates:
http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/fillpoint-llc
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/149567/Fillpoint,_LLC

The bottom one is probably the more reliable as they tell you when they update. As you can see, it updated this morning with nothing so no news to report from the case.

And I go here for the court schedules:
http://www.nynb.uscourts.gov/calendar
The case is in Albany, and it's only on Wednesdays because that's when they do Chapter 11-related issues.
I was hoping you could sift through those for me and tell me if there were any updates ;)

Speaking of updates, where's my table pack for iOS? I need new tables, damnit.

Vyse24

Yeah, sorry about that. Checking the documents requires an account, and I don't wanna get a free one which will somehow screw me over and cost me hundreds down the road.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is it me, or did someone turn down the volume when I play Funhouse in the PS3 version? I can barely hear Rudy bitch at me for playing with the clock.

Same here. I bought the base 4-pack on 360 but will look at getting back into this on PS4. As long as its not laggy.....

Shaneus

Okay, I fucking give up. The iOS version has been updated for Champion Pub and Whirlwind and sure enough, there's a nice little popup at the beginning of the game that mentions Champion Pub and Whirlwind... BUT NO FUCKING MENTION OF THE TERMINATOR 2 KICKSTARTER. THIS IS YOUR ONE OPPORTUNITY TO TELL EVERY SINGLE MOBILE USER ABOUT THE KICKSTARTER AND YOU SCREWED IT UP.

Ugh, such incompetent idiots. What the fuck were they thinking?!? Now exactly no more people no about the T2 KS after downloading the update. NO-ONE.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Okay, I fucking give up. The iOS version has been updated for Champion Pub and Whirlwind and sure enough, there's a nice little popup at the beginning of the game that mentions Champion Pub and Whirlwind... BUT NO FUCKING MENTION OF THE TERMINATOR 2 KICKSTARTER. THIS IS YOUR ONE OPPORTUNITY TO TELL EVERY SINGLE MOBILE USER ABOUT THE KICKSTARTER AND YOU SCREWED IT UP.

Ugh, such incompetent idiots. What the fuck were they thinking?!? Now exactly no more people no about the T2 KS after downloading the update. NO-ONE.
I really don't know, but perhaps there are iOS store rules against promotions outside of official Apple channels? Maybe not. I only have a few iOS games...

From the sound of it Android isn't until next week. I guess they're still working on some bugs or something. Super bummed out on that.

edit- Scratch that, updating on Android now! WOOOOOOOOO!

second edit - Android version totally has a button/link for the Terminator 2 Kickstarter on the intro screen.

third edit - Champion Pub seems great so far, Whirlwind just straight up dies at points on my Nexus 10. Like, performance will be normal and great for a while, then something happens, like multiball or like a Goal notification pops up and performance just drops in half and even worse when the performance is down like that it is interspersed with just full on freezing for a second before it starts back up again. Pausing and starting the game tends to bring performance back up temporarily.

Shaneus

How do FarSight's offerings compare (quality-wise) to the tables that are available in Visual Pinball and the like?
They're all better. Actual scans of all the components, 3D modelling (VPin is only 2D from memory) and physics are tweaked to hell and back.

Some of the colouring is off on some tables (see: Cactus Canyon) and there's no "night" versions of tables, but other than that there's really no comparison... everything just feels better.

BTW ThreePiMatt, sounds like they might've hurried the iOS version out to make cert but because that doesn't need to be done on Android, they've obviously fixed/added a few things including that T2 notice because they could leave it later before releasing it. Good to know there's a T2 mention.

They're all better. Actual scans of all the components, 3D modelling (VPin is only 2D from memory) and physics are tweaked to hell and back.

Some of the colouring is off on some tables (see: Cactus Canyon) and there's no "night" versions of tables, but other than that there's really no comparison... everything just feels better.

That's awesome to hear. I'm really loving the four tables on my PS3 (PS+ freebie) and am considering getting more tables but have been holding off because the best deal is the season bundle but I already have most of those tables on the 360 (well, the ones that actually got released) and I was reluctant to double dip. I looked at Future Pinball and Visual Pinball on the PC (since Pinball Arcade isn't there yet) but... they kind of seemed a pain to configure and all, and now hearing that they just don't compete with Pinball Arcade...

Heck, I really should just take the plunge and get season one for the PS3 -- eventually I'll get a Vita as well and it'll be awesome to play on the go (I have a iPad 1 and a Windows Phone so other Pinball Arcade mobile apps are no-go for me).

I really love the older tables like Gorgor and Black Hole. The lack of clutter and flashiness and noise is refreshing. Black Hole is just *gorgeous*.

I wish it had some of the social features of Zen (I have all those tables, on both PS3 and 360), but I so much prefer Pinball Arcade.

Holy crap -- my daughter just won the score match at the end on Ripley's -- I didn't think that was possible! She didn't get the extra ball or anything but still -- was that a fluke? Did the table take pity on her (she had a miserable run and drained all three pretty durn quick).

Odd that the Wiki lists several tables as season one that, on the PS3 at least, show up in the season two folder (and aren't part of the season one bundle).

Shaneus

That's awesome to hear. I'm really loving the four tables on my PS3 (PS+ freebie) and am considering getting more tables but have been holding off because the best deal is the season bundle but I already have most of those tables on the 360 (well, the ones that actually got released) and I was reluctant to double dip. I looked at Future Pinball and Visual Pinball on the PC (since Pinball Arcade isn't there yet) but... they kind of seemed a pain to configure and all, and now hearing that they just don't compete with Pinball Arcade...
The problem with Virtual Pinball vs. something like Pinball Arcade is that they're only as good as the people dedicated enough to make them on their own time. So some are better than others, but there are various issues that never seemed to get tweaked to the right level. For instance, I believe VP has slightly better physics and ROM emulation than Future Pinball, but Future Pinball is actually in 3D so you can have different views etc. VP I also believe is meant to get an upgrade soon so it supports DX9, but currently it's on DX7 or something archaic like that.

And yes, it's a LOT of hassle to get setup. Download the ROM, download one of the potentially many skins of the table available, configure the emulator frontend for things like resolution, sound etc... it's a big headache, for sure. Obviously it's worth it for some that aren't on TPA (like The Shadow) but comparing apples to apples, the TPA version is always better.

I really love the older tables like Gorgor and Black Hole. The lack of clutter and flashiness and noise is refreshing. Black Hole is just *gorgeous*.
I tend to prefer the older ones as well. Whether it's because of the design in general or the way TPA specifically emulates them (or both) but they tend to feel a little bit meatier, heavier and more "real", I guess, than the newer DMD ones. Firepower, Black Knight, Centaur and Funhouse are my favourites, but the others are still up there too.

Holy crap -- my daughter just won the score match at the end on Ripley's -- I didn't think that was possible! She didn't get the extra ball or anything but still -- was that a fluke? Did the table take pity on her (she had a miserable run and drained all three pretty durn quick).
I don't think that actually has any significance (being free play anyway). Kinda cool when it happens, though!

Another couple of questions, sorry...

Pro mode, worth it? About to pull the trigger on the $30 season one bundle but may go for the $40 pro version if it is worth it.

Is a season two pass coming soon that lets us pre-buy the season and get the tables as they are released like on the iPad? If so I'll hold off on the four currently available season two tables and wait for that.

I'll be in Vegas in a little bit -- worth visiting the Pinball Hall of Fame there?

If anyone wants to add me as a friend feel free to, I'm BigWeather. Fair warning: While I love pinball, I really suck at it.

<lots of great info on VP and FP>

I tend to prefer the older ones as well. Whether it's because of the design in general or the way TPA specifically emulates them (or both) but they tend to feel a little bit meatier, heavier and more "real", I guess, than the newer DMD ones. Firepower, Black Knight, Centaur and Funhouse are my favourites, but the others are still up there too.

I don't think that actually has any significance (being free play anyway). Kinda cool when it happens, though!

Shaneus, thanks a ton for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate it!

I'm hoping the PC version of TPA comes with support for cabinets -- I'll totally triple dip.

It's odd, I don't ever remember getting the extra ball when I play, but now my daughter has done it twice -- I guess I'm just unlucky (or wasn't watching for it).

What platform(s) do you play on?

Shaneus

Another couple of questions, sorry...

Pro mode, worth it? About to pull the trigger on the $30 season one bundle but may go for the $40 pro version if it is worth it.

Is a season two pass coming soon that lets us pre-buy the season and get the tables as they are released like on the iPad? If so I'll hold off on the four currently available season two tables and wait for that.

I'll be in Vegas in a little bit -- worth visiting the Pinball Hall of Fame there?

If anyone wants to add me as a friend feel free to, I'm BigWeather. Fair warning: While I love pinball, I really suck at it.
Pro mode: IMO, no. The tips are basic at best and you don't really learn much about the table with the ball navigation etc. As much as I appreciate what FarSight do, I bought the pro pack for TotAN and scored it with the Star Trek Kickstarter, but used them about two-three times each, then gave up.

Season 2 pack: I think it's already available for purchase? Pretty sure, because I remember kicking up a stink as I'd already bought some of the included ones prior to them announcing it. I'd say it's worth getting if you don't have any of them at all on iOS.

PHoF: Most definitely. I think you pay something like $15-20 and get to go nuts on all of them. I'd definitely go, but even if you're not super into pinball but still enjoy it, no doubt it'd give you a greater appreciation of them.

PS. I love it as well, but I'm still what would be considered "average", I guess. I can be good at times, but most of the time I just exit out and restart games ;)

Shaneus, thanks a ton for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate it!

I'm hoping the PC version of TPA comes with support for cabinets -- I'll totally triple dip.

It's odd, I don't ever remember getting the extra ball when I play, but now my daughter has done it twice -- I guess I'm just unlucky (or wasn't watching for it).

What platform(s) do you play on?
Hey, not a problem! I'm more than happy to answer questions on what I can, the more people we can get playing pinball in *any* form, the better! It's fucking rad that your daughter's playing... one of my best friends who collects machines had his son playing at a VERY early age. My earliest memory of this was seeing him at the age of *maybe* four smashing the hell (as in, doing insanely well) on a WWF Royal Rumble. Couldn't reach both sides of the machine at the same time, so while he was standing on a step to see the playfield, he had to lean either side to hit the flippers. So cute!

PC version: If not at launch, then definitely down the track FS have confirmed (I think... at least, they've been very confident) that cabinet support will be available on the PC version. I don't know when or if it will be a paid extra (I'd say probably the latter, because it will require some extra effort on their part, definitely), but you could almost bank on it. But don't go buying components for a cab just yet... maybe wait it out first.

I almost exclusively play on iOS and have all the tables for it, save for Harley-Davidson and Ripley's (not a Stern fan :( ). I have the base pack and ST:TNG for PS3 (base through PS+, ST through Kickstarter) and everything for the 360, but that's not all that much. When things get confirmed down the track, I'm not sure what path I'll be heading down... my plans will probably be something like this:
iOS: Continue buying all table packs
PC: Probably buy both season packs
360: Selectively buy table packs, may buy both seasons depending on price
PS3: Doubt I'll buy any on that, it's just too finicky and flaky right now.
PS4: Almost certainly getting all of them on that... someone here confirmed that at E3 when they played STTNG on PS4, it was zero-lag just like 360, but with lots of dynamic, pretty lights and effects :)

FWIW, I'm Shaneus on XBL, Shaneus2k2 on PSN (I think?) and I've just added you on iOS ;)

Pro mode: IMO, no. The tips are basic at best and you don't really learn much about the table with the ball navigation etc. As much as I appreciate what FarSight do, I bought the pro pack for TotAN and scored it with the Star Trek Kickstarter, but used them about two-three times each, then gave up.

That's a shame, would be neat if it was a bit more valuable. I ended up just going with season one bundle and if I really, really love a particular table I'll buy it for that, maybe, and still come out ahead.

Season 2 pack: I think it's already available for purchase? Pretty sure, because I remember kicking up a stink as I'd already bought some of the included ones prior to them announcing it. I'd say it's worth getting if you don't have any of them at all on iOS.

PS3 mainly here (with PC to come, and I've pretty much abandoned the 360 version), don't see it for purchase yet. Hopefully soon. I'll definitely pick it up.

PHoF: Most definitely. I think you pay something like $15-20 and get to go nuts on all of them. I'd definitely go, but even if you're not super into pinball but still enjoy it, no doubt it'd give you a greater appreciation of them.

I'll definitely make a point of going, then. The kids will love it, and my wife enjoys pinball a bit so I don't think I'll get any resistance from them. We went to Funspot in NH a few years back and they loved that as well.

It's fucking rad that your daughter's playing... one of my best friends who collects machines had his son playing at a VERY early age. My earliest memory of this was seeing him at the age of *maybe* four smashing the hell (as in, doing insanely well) on a WWF Royal Rumble. Couldn't reach both sides of the machine at the same time, so while he was standing on a step to see the playfield, he had to lean either side to hit the flippers. So cute!

That's awesome! My daughter is 16 and I'm amazed she still loves pinball. I was certain that... shinier... entertainment would have distracted her by now but maybe she's just old school. I've made my fair share of mistakes as a parent but I'm thinking this is a check in the "win" column!

PC version: If not at launch, then definitely down the track FS have confirmed (I think... at least, they've been very confident) that cabinet support will be available on the PC version. I don't know when or if it will be a paid extra (I'd say probably the latter, because it will require some extra effort on their part, definitely), but you could almost bank on it. But don't go buying components for a cab just yet... maybe wait it out first.

I really hope they get around to doing it -- and I'd certainly pay a premium (heck, adding that to Pro would be a huge incentive to go Pro, even with slightly higher rates on the PC). I'll hold off on the cabinet, as you say -- besides I've got building a videogame cabinet a bit higher on the list at the moment, I'll work on that if I get the itch.

I almost exclusively play on iOS and have all the tables for it, save for Harley-Davidson and Ripley's (not a Stern fan :( ). I have the base pack and ST:TNG for PS3 (base through PS+, ST through Kickstarter) and everything for the 360, but that's not all that much. When things get confirmed down the track, I'm not sure what path I'll be heading down... my plans will probably be something like this:
iOS: Continue buying all table packs
PC: Probably buy both season packs
360: Selectively buy table packs, may buy both seasons depending on price
PS3: Doubt I'll buy any on that, it's just too finicky and flaky right now.
PS4: Almost certainly getting all of them on that... someone here confirmed that at E3 when they played STTNG on PS4, it was zero-lag just like 360, but with lots of dynamic, pretty lights and effects :)

FWIW, I'm Shaneus on XBL, Shaneus2k2 on PSN (I think?) and I've just added you on iOS ;)

I definitely prefer the older tables. I'm in love with Big Shot and Black Hole for some reason, Big Shot I love hearing the EM hum and the clicks and the ball rolling, and Black Hole is just flat out gorgeous on the PS3 at least. I only have an iPad 1, so TPA is out on that platform for me -- not sure that the "BigWeather" you added is me. =/ Regardless, I am "BigWeather" on PSN, XBL, and Steam and my buying plans (assuming that I don't get a new iPad anytime soon) will be PC and PSN everything, I think (getting a PS4 at launch, so really thrilled with where that version seems to be heading). I'll add you on XBL and PSN. Thanks!

Screw that, I hate old tables. Big Shot is quite content with giving you a couple good balls and then when you get to the 2000/3000 bonus balls it'll send them DDTM with no points. A frustrating and bullshit-ridden table.

So far, until I spend more time with Champion Pub, Star Trek has been my favorite. Good variety in the missions, hitting the Warp loop combo is super satisfying, good voice samples. All around great table.

Shaneus

Agreed on Big Shot, I'm not a fan of it at all. But the majority of DMD games end up using the same basic rulesets and other than sound bytes, animations and table graphics, they're pretty much the same (with a number of exceptions, obviously). Pre-DMD ones at least were forced to use something different... usually winding up with innovative features, great sound, great table graphics, unique rulesets or a combination of the four.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I watched some gameplay videos of Orbiter 1... I really want to play this one.

http://youtu.be/jPvMCBQA1yw

That, plus Star Gazer (those pretty sound effects), Iron Maiden (dat fapworthy back glass art), Quicksilver, and Seawitch and I'll be happy with the classic Stern selection in TPA.

Screw that, I hate old tables. Big Shot is quite content with giving you a couple good balls and then when you get to the 2000/3000 bonus balls it'll send them DDTM with no points. A frustrating and bullshit-ridden table.

So far, until I spend more time with Champion Pub, Star Trek has been my favorite. Good variety in the missions, hitting the Warp loop combo is super satisfying, good voice samples. All around great table.

Agreed on Big Shot, I'm not a fan of it at all. But the majority of DMD games end up using the same basic rulesets and other than sound bytes, animations and table graphics, they're pretty much the same (with a number of exceptions, obviously). Pre-DMD ones at least were forced to use something different... usually winding up with innovative features, great sound, great table graphics, unique rulesets or a combination of the four.

I dunno, I find myself going back constantly to the EM and SS machines. Yeah, the bull factor is pretty high on most of them, but I just find them more charming. Love the art, the character, the original themes, the sound of the ball rolling and the hum and clack of the components. Much clearer rules that are really difficult (especially on tables with no state between balls).

It's funny, because I'm the same way about arcade videogames. I love the period from the late 70s to about 1985, after that I just don't like them. And I like them for many of the same reasons that I like similar period pinball tables. Simpler rules, but still very challenging. Gorgeous art. Fewer licenses. Quieter, or at least less muddled.

I think this link (http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_/_SS_Pinball_Comparison) breaks down the EM/SS vs. the SS/DMD divide pretty well for me -- I read the left vs. right column and almost ever one I prefer the left.

That all said, though, there are some DMDs I like quite a bit.

But, yeah, Shaneus summed up really well why I tend to prefer the pre-DMD tables.

I dunno, I find myself going back constantly to the EM and SS machines. Yeah, the bull factor is pretty high on most of them, but I just find them more charming. Love the art, the character, the original themes, the sound of the ball rolling and the hum and clack of the components. Much clearer rules that are really difficult (especially on tables with no state between balls).

It's funny, because I'm the same way about arcade videogames. I love the period from the late 70s to about 1985, after that I just don't like them. And I like them for many of the same reasons that I like similar period pinball tables. Simpler rules, but still very challenging. Gorgeous art. Fewer licenses. Quieter, or at least less muddled.

I think this link (http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_/_SS_Pinball_Comparison) breaks down the EM/SS vs. the SS/DMD divide pretty well for me -- I read the left vs. right column and almost ever one I prefer the left.

But, yeah, Shaneus summed up really well why I tend to prefer the pre-DMD tables.

I haven't played enough of the classics. I love Gorgar though, so I'm looking forwards to playing more once I finally grab all the table packs, and I hope they keep providing more. Black Hole didn't really do it for me in the same way Gorgar did.

That said, I do really enjoy the DMD tables I grew up with. I like all the different modes. I like ramps that feed back to the flippers. I like loop and combo rankings. New ones Pinball Arcade has introduced me to have been right up my street still. Medieval Madness and Monster's Bash spring immediately to mind.

Shaneus

That page does a pretty good job of summing that up. My biggest thing is that the DMD by the very nature of it's placement is designed to draw your eyes away from the playfield. If anything, the game should be doing as much as possible to keep you involved with *only* the playfield as much as possible.
It's the reason I am absolutely over the moon with upcoming Full Throttle machine from Heighway Pinball. LCD on the playfield? Absolutely dead-on perfect. Cheesy, non-licensed theme? Simple table layout? Flow? It has everything I like about the older machines without overcomplicating anything, versus the Wizard of Oz one, which just seemed to shove as much crap on the playfield as possible AND have an LCD TV on the backglass to distract you EVEN MORE.

It's so bizarre that Heighway isn't even an American company.

I can only hope that we get to see that machine here in Australia, either via someone privately buying it themselves or having it in an arcade setting. Just excited to see something like this, which embodies so much of what I love about the 70s/80s era of pinball with none of the "let's throw as much new shit in here as possible" or "let's do the same thing we've been doing for 20 years" that's been happening with Stern and JJ.

Also, note the LED-changing signage on the machine itself. Why hasn't any table done that before? Simple, but fucking genius.

Not until I get to stare at this uncomfortably for a bit.
That's bad... so in turn, I'm going to make you stare at THIS uncomfortably right now:
RncQwDUm.jpg

That page does a pretty good job of summing that up. My biggest thing is that the DMD by the very nature of it's placement is designed to draw your eyes away from the playfield. If anything, the game should be doing as much as possible to keep you involved with *only* the playfield as much as possible.
It's the reason I am absolutely over the moon with upcoming Full Throttle machine from Heighway Pinball. LCD on the playfield? Absolutely dead-on perfect. Cheesy, non-licensed theme? Simple table layout? Flow? It has everything I like about the older machines without overcomplicating anything, versus the Wizard of Oz one, which just seemed to shove as much crap on the playfield as possible AND have an LCD TV on the backglass to distract you EVEN MORE.

It's so bizarre that Heighway isn't even an American company.

I can only hope that we get to see that machine here in Australia, either via someone privately buying it themselves or having it in an arcade setting. Just excited to see something like this, which embodies so much of what I love about the 70s/80s era of pinball with none of the "let's throw as much new shit in here as possible" or "let's do the same thing we've been doing for 20 years" that's been happening with Stern and JJ.

Also, note the LED-changing signage on the machine itself. Why hasn't any table done that before? Simple, but fucking genius.

That's bad... so in turn, I'm going to make you stare at THIS uncomfortably right now:
RncQwDUm.jpg

WOZ is a clusterfuck. It shouldn't be that hard just to keep your eye on the ball. Combine that with brutal difficulty as well. One thing that isn't true of WOZ when compared to the 90s tables is long ball times.

Shaneus

WOZ is a clusterfuck. It shouldn't be that hard just to keep your eye on the ball. Combine that with brutal difficulty as well. One thing that isn't true of WOZ when compared to the 90s tables is long ball times.
A shame, especially when there were such high expectations for it. But if anything, it's good for pinball because I think without it we wouldn't have seen companies like Heighway or that other one (that's making some zombie shooter thing with a laser gun you shoot at the backglass, I think) have a crack as well.
That's the problem with licenses, is that things that normally wouldn't get included into a game tend to get shoehorned somehow either via the audio, DMD or playfield design... and you can always pick where it is. Sounds like with WOZ you'd spend all day doing it ;)

Champion Pub is awesome. Never played it or even saw it before.
Me neither. I'd never bothered looking it up because I was confusing it with Championship Pool, a pinball table I must've made up in my head because I've just noticed there's not anything actually called that.

I did find this though, which could well be the coolest, dorkiest backglass ever:
wWXAoRIl.jpg

Top Bottom