• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Massa

Oh wow I forgot Phil haha. Oh man that's what 2 years of not listening does to a dumb fuck like me.

Wow, 2 years is a lot... you should definitely get back, in fact go and listen to episode 500 right now. Trust me, just do it.

But to answer your question unfortunately Mike is no longer on the show because of scheduling problems. Ethan replaced him not too long ago.

komplanen

Wow, 2 years is a lot... you should definitely get back, in fact go and listen to episode 500 right now. Trust me, just do it.

But to answer your question unfortunately Mike is no longer on the show because of scheduling problems. Ethan replaced him not too long ago.

Yeah last episode I listened was 400, I think :) Might give it a shot. Other than embarrassingly forgetting Phil exists, I actually think of the podcast quite fondly and I've been meaning to get back.

Oh wow I forgot Phil haha. Oh man that's what 2 years of not listening does to a dumb fuck like me.

KBMnra0.gif

giphy.gif

Episode 506: All Will Be Musou

This week! Kevin Larrabee joins us to talk NES Classic Mini, Pokémon Go, Nintendo 64DD, Song of the Deep, Dragon Quest Heroes, Gradius II, Shadow Complex and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/07_19_16-Episode506.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/506
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/mk2Bb_ewZU0
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

I really hope CJ leaves in all the uncomfortable silence of the One Player Podcast segment of the livestream...

Apart from that, it was really nice just having CJ and Sewart on the podcast. some really nice discussions.

I really hope CJ leaves in all the uncomfortable silence of the One Player Podcast segment of the livestream...

Apart from that, it was really nice just having CJ and Sewart on the podcast. some really nice discussions.

Why would CJ edit the show? All that Patreon money is still going for that Bully Game Club!

Really enjoyed the NES Classic Mini discussion. I never considered that emulation issues may have been factors in game omissions, such as Castlevania 3 like Kevin mentioned. Hardly a deal-breaker but I wish they would've included some more Nintendo published vs. games like Ice Hockey and Pro Wrestling. Really looking forward to getting it (if it's in stock ...).

Has Nintendo ever released a collection of their arcade games? I believe Ethan asked that, not sure if I caught the answer. I'm not even sure what games were Nintendo arcade originals outside the Donkey Kongs and Popeye.

Episode 507: Your Kid in the Talent Show

This week! More Pokémon Go (don’t worry, not that much of it), Detective Pikachu, Sonic Mania, Animal Crossing, Headlander launch feels and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/07_26_16-Episode507.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/507
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/Mlt8erMgtCI

I am definitely editing that out.
Boooooooooooooooooooo! The one time you decide to edit...

Massa

I was watching the Youtube after the fact and I just wanted to tweet out "CJ, you don't have to do this! Today's kids don't care about dead air!". Heck, if you promise free game codes you could have 50 minutes of dead air and still your highest stream viewers count ever.

They ran a pretty nice story about Halifax here on TV the other day, that's where Greg is from isn't it? Looks like an amazing place to live.

stewy

I was watching the Youtube after the fact and I just wanted to tweet out "CJ, you don't have to do this! Today's kids don't care about dead air!". Heck, if you promise free game codes you could have 50 minutes of dead air and still your highest stream viewers count ever.

They ran a pretty nice story about Halifax here on TV the other day, that's where Greg is from isn't it? Looks like an amazing place to live.

Yep!

The first scenes with the lighthouse and the giant granite rocks is an area called Peggy's Cove, which is just outside Halifax. The scenes with the town clock and fortress (called Citadel Hill) is right in the heart of downtown.

The Titanic cemetary they show is the same one my grandparents are buried in. I believe the museum footage is from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is right on the Halifax waterfront.

And the Bell Tower they show is a Halifax Explosion memorial site. The explosion happened in Halifax Harbour in 1917 and levelled most of the city (shattered windows over 100 kilometers away). It was the largest, non-nuclear man-made explosion in history, I believe. Halifax sends a large Christmas Tree to Boston every year as a thank you for the support the city sent during the aftermath.

It is definitely a nice place to live. I love it here.

Massa

Yep!

The first scenes with the lighthouse and the giant granite rocks is an area called Peggy's Cove, which is just outside Halifax. The scenes with the town clock and fortress (called Citadel Hill) is right in the heart of downtown.

The Titanic cemetary they show is the same one my grandparents are buried in. I believe the museum footage is from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is right on the Halifax waterfront.

And the Bell Tower they show is a Halifax Explosion memorial site. The explosion happened in Halifax Harbour in 1917 and levelled most of the city (shattered windows over 100 kilometers away). It was the largest, non-nuclear man-made explosion in history, I believe. Halifax sends a large Christmas Tree to Boston every year as a thank you for the support the city sent during the aftermath.

It is definitely a nice place to live. I love it here.

Yeah, they talked about history with the Titanic and the explosion, then at the end of the story showed a bit about modern life there. I honestly don't watch much TV these days but I left it on after F1 and it caught my attention. It was a very inspiring story to learn about, the place looks stunning but I had no idea how rich and beautiful its history and people were. I really hope to get to visit Canada soon, hopefully next year.

So weird. I had a dream before I woke up this morning that I was checking twitter and seeing people talking about "the end of Player One Podcast". I was getting genuinely upset that I had somehow missed the announcement/last episode, since I listen every week.

Dream me was pretty distraught so I sure hope the podcast doesn't end anytime soon.

Episode 508: Gone Reverse Larrabee

This week! We're joined by Kevin Larrabee for a long talk about Eurogamer’s Nintendo NX piece from last week. Then we dive into games like Headlander, F1 2015, and a whole lot of Vita stuff like UPPERS!, Trails of Cold Steel and Shiren the Wanderer. Oh, and this episode has a Shenmue II spoiler right at the front of Whatcha Been Playing, so watch out for that. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/08_02_16-Episode508.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/508
Youtube: https://youtu.be/0qNvBzVp3Ok

Massa

This Ethan/Kevin rivalry has been fun to watch but I think this time Ethan went too far. Shenmue spoilers? Parading a Vita collection in front of him? Vita of all things, are you trying to kill him, man.

Yeah. Luckily, I've played Shenmue II, but that was a totally uncalled for spoiler by Ethan, and then immediately following that up with the Rouge One spoiler is also stupid. And, it seems way too presumptive to keep saying "I'm certain" and "Of course Nintendo will do [blank]" when talking about the NX rumors.

Meh.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I get where Greg is coming from sure Nintendos first party content is a system selling point but there is only so much exclusive content can sell. The WiiU had so many issue that no amount of first party content could have saved it - especially since Nintendo had to essentially burn money on projects that likely would have been more profitable as 3DS releases with higher sales and cheaper production costs.

Name, marketing, price etc. doomed the WiiU from the beginning though - so for NX to mirror the WiiU situation the thing would have to be called WiiU Deluxe portable, costs + 300 bucks again and had to compete with a cheaper and more popular other Nintendo system for the next couple years.

From what we hearing so far this doesnt seem to be the case NX. With the WiiU they were looking to somehow top the Wii success by developing a system for every customer group (DS/mobile gamer, more core oriented PS360 gamer, Wii casual fans) and ended up disappointing each group. NX focusing on what they are good at (portable market) while expanding its reach to console style and coop games seems smart on paper.

NX portable launching for 199$ w. a lineup including Zelda BotW, Smash Bros. 4 GotY Edition etc. does sound a lot better than WiiU for 349$ w. Nintendo Land and NSMB U (wait didnt we get a new NSMB game just a couple months ago on 3DS).

If Nintendo doesnt screw it op the NX could be the perfect second console choice for gamers who primary game PS4/XBO/Steam but also for mobile gamers who maybe wanna upgrade their gaming options without going full "hardcore gamer". Having a portable System loaded up with Multiplayertitles ala Smash, Mario Kart that can connect to every Display/TV without issues would make it the perfect Party system.

PS. If you consider that Rogue One tidbit a spoiler you might wanna drop the Internet all together.

Erudite

Wait how can he spoil Rogue One if its not out yet?
Kevin didn't know about a certain character that will be showing up in the film.

Unfortunately it was spoiled for me awhile back, but I can imagine going into Rogue One not knowing that would've been a great surprise.

SuperPac

Kevin didn't know about a certain character that will be showing up in the film.

Unfortunately it was spoiled for me awhile back, but I can imagine going into Rogue One not knowing that would've been a great surprise.

I don't consider the Rogue One thing a spoiler based on if you've heard almost ANYTHING about the movie past the title you can figure that detail without seeing a trailer. I consider the Shenmue II thing a spoiler - and the podcast has a chapter stop so you can skip it.

I'm not too sure if I agree that NX needs 3rd party support. It would definitely been a tremendous boon for Nintendo, but I think it's almost important to remember that this is the first time that its developing and publishing divisions have all been focused on a single piece of hardware since the NES came out. Instead of splitting teams between console and handheld, all of their efforts are going towards one product.

This is hugely substantial. Since its release they've been keeping the Wii U alive almost completely through first party development and publishing, and to a large extent over the past year (and continuing to the end of 2016) the same is true for the 3DS as well. Being able to put all that effort toward a single console turns the mostly-empty release schedules of the two systems into a pretty impressive lineup.

I don't consider the Rogue One thing a spoiler based on if you've heard almost ANYTHING about the movie past the title you can figure that detail without seeing a trailer. I consider the Shenmue II thing a spoiler - and the podcast has a chapter stop so you can skip it.

Hahahaha holy shit I can't believe I had Shenmue 2 and Rogue One spoilered right after the other.

I was just joking around. Really not a bid deal/surprise to me. That Lan Di shit though....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm not too sure if I agree that NX needs 3rd party support. It would definitely been a tremendous boon for Nintendo, but I think it's almost important to remember that this is the first time that its developing and publishing divisions have all been focused on a single piece of hardware since the NES came out. Instead of splitting teams between console and handheld, all of their efforts are going towards one product.

This is hugely substantial. Since its release they've been keeping the Wii U alive almost completely through first party development and publishing, and to a large extent over the past year (and continuing to the end of 2016) the same is true for the 3DS as well. Being able to put all that effort toward a single console turns the mostly-empty release schedules of the two systems into a pretty impressive lineup.

Thats the funny thing about Nintendo systems - when they really "need" 3rd Party content you know its already to late and they somehow screwed up. They really should just work on the stuff they can directly control - solid hardware, OS feature and online plattform parity, strong first party content and a handful of key 3rd Party exclusives (Monster Hunter, Beyond Good & Evil etc. for example.).

If the system sells 3rdPartys will be there - i mean look at WiiU/Vita both are massives bombas all things considered but even they got their fair share of Indie and smaller games because there was still some money to be made even from a smaller userbase. So yeah the NX should be capable of getting stuff like Telltale Adventures or the next Minecraft/Rocket League breakout online hit.

I dont expect AAA titles like Battlefield that push current gen systems to hit NX soon after launch, but if the plattform as a whole is a success EA and co. will bring as much content over as possible.

Nintendo took too long to refresh the Wii with a HD system that could play the hot games PS360 were getting, so i expect them to refresh NX hardware every 2-3 years while offering full BC to previous gens. Especially in this day and age you have to convince publishers that the plattform they are supporting has a future. A whole family of devices having access to the NX content over the next decade is more attractive for EA and Ubi when considering the longterm investment in a plattform. Customers are used to the was Google and Apple their stores and content updates nowadays, so Nintendo better adjust if they wanna reach the kids and young adults growing up with these devices.

I dont expect AAA titles like Battlefield that push current gen systems to hit NX soon after launch, but if the plattform as a whole is a success EA and co. will bring as much content over as possible.

Nintendo took too long to refresh the Wii with a HD system that could play the hot games PS360 were getting, so i expect them to refresh NX hardware every 2-3 years while offering full BC to previous gens. Especially in this day and age you have to convince publishers that the plattform they are supporting has a future. A whole family of devices having access to the NX content over the next decade is more attractive for EA and Ubi when considering the longterm investment in a plattform. Customers are used to the was Google and Apple their stores and content updates nowadays, so Nintendo better adjust if they wanna reach the kids and young adults growing up with these devices.

I don't think the NX has a very good chance of getting many 3rd party ports of PS4/Xbone games. The rumors are that the hardware's technical capability is similar to the Xbone (maybe a bit more depending on which generation of the Tegra chip ends up being in the final hardware), but going with mobile hardware likely means an added difficulty in porting to the platform.

Taking into account that devs are currently comfortable porting between Xbone/PS4/PC due to the similarity of the platforms, that they'll already have to expand their effort between platforms because of Scropio and Neo, and that the NX will have a much smaller install base than anything else because it's a new platform, I don't think it's ever going to receive many straight up ports of Xbone/PS4 titles.

I think most of its third part support is going to come from the current 3DS/Vita devs (Atlus, Capcom, Spike Chunsoft, Squeenix, Nippon Ichi, Compile Heart/Idea Factory, Koei Tecmo), and if it's able to sell units at a similar pace to the PS4 I can see smaller projects getting greenlit from Ubisoft and EA (Stuff like Grow Home or Unravel). But I don't think its 3rd party library will ever overlap very much with the PS4 or Xbone, especially with western AAA games.

Big fan of the show, I get it that Greg was playing devil's advocate on the NX talk but I feel like he has become a bit more cynic in the last few weeks with the mini nes and pokemon go. Sounds more like cagcast than p1p.

Moofers

I just came in to say I really enjoyed the Vita collecting talk and I think I've been sold on UPPERS! as well. I decided I'm going to go ahead and be a Vita collector and get physical copies of anything and everything I want on it. There's a lot of garbage I don't intend to buy, but I already have like 20 physical games that I adore so I figure why not go ahead and get another 20 or so and have an amazing collection? I already got a couple of the Limited Run games (Soldner and Oddworld) as well as Shovel Knight coming, so I guess its time to admit I'm already somewhat of a collector.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I was not expecting that Rogue One spoiler. Whoof. Not good.

Also with all the Vita stuff, how do you guys feel about the creepy pedo games that do come out for the system? I know someone who LOVES his Vita and he's on numerous lists for that.

stewy

Big fan of the show, I get it that Greg was playing devil's advocate on the NX talk but I feel like he has become a bit more cynic in the last few weeks with the mini nes and pokemon go. Sounds more like cagcast than p1p.

Just trying to keep the cast a bit grounded. :)

I do appreciate that, it does bring a nice back and forth as opposed to everyone agreeing with each other. I think I should stop listening to the cagcast because I usually listen to that before P1P so I've been listening to y'allz show with the wrong mindset.

T-Matt

It is appreciated and you come at it in a good way I feel. Love your productions on YouTube.

Enjoyed Kevin on the show again this week, has an energetic vibe and is endearing even if he says something I might find silly. That is not meant as a backhanded compliment because everybody says silly stuff.

Spoiler spot was hilarious on the reactions.

SickBoy

This episode highlights why I like Kevin as a guest. While he sometimes (OK, often) goes on at length about stuff I have no interest in, it's hard not to appreciate his general enthusiasm and what that does for the rest of the show. I'm also continually intrigued by the ongoing legend of Larrabee Locks.

Of course, this episode's highlight was his reaction to Ethan's insane "Reverse Larrabee."

Quonny

Nostalgia boner Kevin, Nintendo employee CJ, and buying-two-of-system-that-doesn't-exist Ethan hyped on the NX?

Say it ain't so! :^)

Greg has to be a bit more "cynical" because otherwise there would be no discussion.

Episode 509: Meditatin' Right

This week! No Man’s Sky leaks/patches/all that stuff (use chapter stops to avoid any details), Nintendo Power hits the internet, Metroid, Telltale Batman, ABZU and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/08_09_16-Episode509.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/509
Youtube: https://youtu.be/mzE8D5_3P9Q

SuperPac

What a difference a day can make. We were talking about the Metroid 2 remake and the Nintendo Power archive.org stuff and then the next day, POOF, gone. We probably should have figured that in the show though. :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What a difference a day can make. We were talking about the Metroid 2 remake and the Nintendo Power archive.org stuff and then the next day, POOF, gone. We probably should have figured that in the show though. :D

Haven't listened to the show yet, but did any of you manage to take a crack at the Metroid 2 remake or no?

stewy

Haven't listened to the show yet, but did any of you manage to take a crack at the Metroid 2 remake or no?

I tried it yesterday. Looks and plays great, but runs like crap on my computer for some reason. I'm going to give it another shot tonight and see if I can't fix it.

Top Bottom