• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

A random Doddcast appeared. I dunno, he seemed to have some personal issues that he talked about during his podcasts, but he seemed to have disappeared for the most part.
Yeah, he's pretty open about the reasons he's sometimes not as active online. Plus I imagine it's less exciting to make new content now that the hoopla surrounding his hashtag and leaks has died down.

Episode 513: Core Loop Size Matters

This week! 3DS plans, NX specs, Gran Turismo Sport is delayed, PlayStation Now on PC, Deus Ex Revolution, Stein's Gate, HeadLander, FIFA 17, Alone With You, Assetto Corsa and F1 2016! Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_06_16-Episode513.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/513
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/579omZkdGMc
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

SuperPac

I enjoy listening to episodes that I'm not on - especially when it means laughing out loud as I walk through the concourse in an airport as I was doing this morning at SeaTac. A++

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Greg stays MVP. It's funny to me how I could hear the ghost of CJ saying "come on" in the most unconvincing way about a lot of the Nintendo comments. "Eh? Eh? Eh? ...nobody?"

Just hoping he doesn't bring this same news up next week. No more!

FN-2187

After playing PS Now on PC all weekend, I agree with Ethan that it is the best value in gaming.

Also, Kevin is right that no Titanfall 2 trial in EA Access is backtracking BS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Awesome episode - great to have Rich and Kevin in again.

Greg makes me wanna get that new F1 game, the last one i played was F1 2001 from on PS2 from EA(?). Career mode in this one sounds really good, might pick it up on the next Steam sale.

Ethan finally wore me down - I started the free PSnow free trial. Works perfectly to me, I think I'll sub for a few months to play some Deathspank (I miss this series) and Ni No Kuni.

Nice to see more Rich!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ethan finally wore me down - I started the free PSnow free trial. Works perfectly to me, I think I'll sub for a few months to play some Deathspank (I miss this series) and Ni No Kuni.

Nice to see more Rich!
Weird timing, Deathspank hits Xbox One backcompat today.

Ledsen

Anyone else feel like the quality has gone down since Mike left? Ethan sometimes feels like a forum fanboy, going on and on and regularly making outrageous statements with absolute certainty. It doesn't really mesh with the rest of the crew, and one of the reasons I've listened to this podcast for so long is precisely because they didn't do any of those things. Happy for those who are enjoying it but personally I would be happy with a three-person crew at this point with guest now and then.

I do enjoy the fights between Kevin and Ethan though. No one does exasperated better than Kevin.

Anyone else feel like the quality has gone down since Mike left? Ethan sometimes feels like a forum fanboy, going on and on and regularly making outrageous statements with absolute certainty. It doesn't really mesh with the rest of the crew, and one of the reasons I've listened to this podcast for so long is precisely because they didn't do any of those things. Happy for those who are enjoying it but personally I would be happy with a three-person crew at this point with guest now and then.

I do enjoy the fights between Kevin and Ethan though. No one does exasperated better than Kevin.
I wouldn't say the quality has gone down but the show has a very different vibe to it these days. I miss Mike and his bitter sense of humor- he was the sober ying to Phil's flaming yang.

It's a shame they were never able to solve the scheduling issues to get him back on the show.

cw_sasuke

Nope, not at all. Its a different show obviously but the quality still is there. Ethan brings his own flavor to the mix but its not like he is dominating the show or anything - the maincast is still there. Ethan often sparks the discussion with questions i would also have if i got to talk to the maincast, so its been actually quite the positive change.

Nothing wrong with being that excited about his Hobby, being sometimes wrong or loving the Vita and its physical games.

Well, as someone who can remember when Phil was a "special guest" or whatever, I would just like to say that the worst time in P1P history, or the time that got me the saddest, was when Greg quit the who around episode 100. I was so bummed by it.

And, while I'm just going to invoke the Thumper Principle from Bambi and not comment on Ethan directly, Mike was wonderful and outside of Dormerbot, he was a great 4th chair. I wish he was on the podcast still, especially since his last top five mentioned Life Is Strange, which I would love to hear him talk about.

But, let's be real. Where's the latest episode of P1P in a pizza parlor where everyone is eating? Where's Dana with her RPG advice? What has Dormerbot been up to? These are the burning questions I have... along with why can't they just ditch Bully and pick a 3 hour Adult Swim game for game club so CJ might finish it?

:p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, as someone who can remember when Phil was a "special guest" or whatever, I would just like to say that the worst time in P1P history, or the time that got me the saddest, was when Greg quit the who around episode 100. I was so bummed by it.

And, while I'm just going to invoke the Thumper Principle from Bambi and not comment on Ethan directly, Mike was wonderful and outside of Dormerbot, he was a great 4th chair. I wish he was on the podcast still, especially since his last top five mentioned Life Is Strange, which I would love to hear him talk about.

But, let's be real. Where's the latest episode of P1P in a pizza parlor where everyone is eating? Where's Dana with her RPG advice? What has Dormerbot been up to? These are the burning questions I have... along with why can't they just ditch Bully and pick a 3 hour Adult Swim game for game club so CJ might finish it?

:p

When Greg quit around then it bummed me out too. I'm so glad Greg is the main force driving discussion and bringing folks like CJ back down to earth.

When Greg quit around then it bummed me out too. I'm so glad Greg is the main force driving discussion and bringing folks like CJ back down to earth.

I might be biased since I listen to points of articulation (Phil's toy podcast), but I feel like the show loses something without phil, and Greg is the only one who calls CJ out on his nintendo fanboyism. The Vita circle jerk has gotten a bit much though, despite the constant jokes about the software.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow I forgot Greg Ford was on the show for a while. Wasn't he getting a teaching degree he never used because he ended up going to work with N'Gai at that consulting company?

Wow I forgot Greg Ford was on the show for a while. Wasn't he getting a teaching degree he never used because he ended up going to work with N'Gai at that consulting company?

Longer than awhile, a few years, right? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I can't believe how long I've been listening to this show. I had just graduated high school when I first heard about it, I spent a bunch of time catching up on old episodes while chasing orbs in Crackdown.

mozfan12

Banned
Not at all. Instead of commentary on other videogame outlets, i.e. what did Arthur Gies tweet about this week?, the focus stays on actual news and games.

Yes exactly! I honestly felt the show was at its worst when Mike was on the show, so much so that I stopped listening to the show and can't even listen to those episodes. He was just as toxic as Arthur Gies. I love the show because they tend to focus on games that are not played or focused on by the big gaming podcasts. For a while it felt they were only discussing what Arthur Gies, Ben Kuchara, Polygon were writing about which I could not care about a single bit. The show is pleasent to listen to again, I don't feel the holier than thou attitude of the Mike episodes.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Phil: are you still invested in doing the show? Seems like you are more absent than on the show these last five, six weeks.

Oh, most definitely. I've just had a lot of family stuff pop up these past couple weeks, so I couldn't make the record time. This past Sunday, I was stuck at school getting my classroom set up for classes to start yesterday.

Real life, man. It can get ya sometimes.

I might be biased since I listen to points of articulation (Phil's toy podcast), but I feel like the show loses something without phil, and Greg is the only one who calls CJ out on his nintendo fanboyism. The Vita circle jerk has gotten a bit much though, despite the constant jokes about the software.

Thanks for listening! Glad that you enjoy POA. Justin and I are planning to record another episode tonight. It's a lot easier to record when you have a more fluid record time and (very important) that hosts are all in the same time zone.

dock

The Kevin Ethan combo is the best flavour for P1P.

As for sports, I'll never play another sports game, and probably not another racing game, but I found Greg + Rich's discussion surprisingly interesting (but also appreciated Greg cutting it a little short).

I miss Phil!

Mike was an amazing part of the show. I have no idea how anyone could have thought otherwise. Even bagging on media outlets was just a fun way to pivot into good discussion of the topics at hand.

Not at all. Instead of commentary on other videogame outlets, i.e. what did Arthur Gies tweet about this week?, the focus stays on actual news and games.
But that was the best.

Yes exactly! I honestly felt the show was at its worst when Mike was on the show, so much so that I stopped listening to the show and can't even listen to those episodes. He was just as toxic as Arthur Gies
You have to fight fire with fire. That's just science.

Glassboy

Why can't it just be a 3 hour extravaganza every week with CJ, Greg, Phil, Kevin, Ethan, Rich and Mike? That would be the shit

Rodhull

Mike episodes were the best as he didn't let the Nintendo segments run on and on as they sometimes can and Phil didn't disrupt other people as often and somehow Mike's occasional exasperation at it made it even funnier when he did. Also liked Mike's following of the media as besides his polygon hatred he also tended to catch a lot of media stuff that is often missed now and would lead to interesting discussions.

Moofers

Been listening to the show for years and it's been feeling pretty consistent to me. Lately I've been enjoying the vita talk from a collector's perspective. I don't know of any other show doing that. I had no idea there are two Steins Gate games and I LOVE time travel stuff, so I have this week's show to thank for clueing me onto that one.

And now Pokemon Go is coming to Apple Watch. This is just turning into CJ fan fiction.

CJ: You going to update your watch? Are you going to buy the AirPods?

cw_sasuke

Gonna make me a very tired listener next week, CJ loves to dwell on these things

Is that true ? I dont think so...people always bring up CJs Apple/Nintendos bias/love when he never talks about the stuff for longer than 1-2 minutes.

We arent getting a 45 minutes Pokemon Go spoilercast lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is that true ? I dont think so...people always bring up CJs Apple/Nintendos bias/love when he never talks about the stuff for longer than 1-2 minutes.

We arent getting a 45 minutes Pokemon Go spoilercast lol.
If it ain't true, I'm in a shadow realm where one minute in normal human time feels like a half hour in mine. It may well be the case, but man, it wears me down to a nub! That said, don't change, CJ. Keep being yourself. It's important to do what you believe in, and I'm not asking you to change.

My favorite part of the episode this week. When Sewart thought twice about making a bad joke and still when through with it:

giphy.gif

eojoko

Yeah, I was actually a little worried this week when I realized both CJ and Phil were missing, but it was a great episode with returning regular guests.

If you're not watching Sunday primetime TV, more people should come relax in the YouTube chat during the stream.

Episode 515: Sucker for Massive Size

This week! Hello Games PR, more game delays, Sonic Mania collector's edition, Ethan gets an HTC Vive, Forza Horizon 3 demo, Pac-Man Championship 2, NASCAR Heat Evolution, Attack on Titan, Pokémon Go Plus and much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/09_20_16-Episode515.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/515
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/T15-KWl39fk
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

SuperPac

That Patreon link is not right. ;)

Damn, I can't believe I didn't mention that in one of the Forza Horizon 3 demo's first races you are racing a jeep being carried by a helicopter and that is all kinds of WHAT-AWESOME.

That Patreon link is not right. ;)

Damn, I can't believe I didn't mention that in one of the Forza Horizon 3 demo's first races you are racing a jeep being carried by a helicopter and that is all kinds of WHAT-AWESOME.

From what they were showing at E3, that's apparently how people will "drop in" to your game world when friends join you in multiplayer. By getting dropped in from a helicopter.

Top Bottom