• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Massa

If Blood Dragon was actually just a regular Far Cry 3 island I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I loved the main game and could go for more. I really hate the way BD looks.

eznark

Banned
Well the last shooter I played was Infinite so it's nice to play a game that is at least mechanically competent but maybe I just like it because of the low bar Bioshock set. That is entirely possible. I am finding it tough to put down in favor of Dota and Luigi.

LiK

They're nuts CJ. Blood Dragon is so awesome. Unlike FC3, all your powers are unlocked already so it's more fun than FC3, imo.

Episode 341: The Shame Completion

This week! Fuse (demo), Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (SPOILERS from 16:35 – 21:40), Far Cry 3, Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move, Bioshock Infinite, Spec Ops: The Line, Book of Spells, and Castlevania: Lord of Shadow Mirror of Fate. Plus: EA doing Star Wars games, Kickstarters, high-quality strategy guides, Link to the Past 2 not living up to the original, cross-fen games, and more!

Direct Download
Youtube video

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Good episode. The more I hear about Bioshock, the less I really seem to ever care about playing it sadly.

Currently started FC3 myself after playing a bunch of Blood Dragon, though I'm not enamored with it nearly as much as I was with FC2, in many ways I am not finding it much of an improvement over Blood Dragon as the guys on the show do. Bigger world with more color and scope, but still not all that interesting.

I've only put about 5 hours in though and much of that has been hunting to get my crafted bags bigger instead of following the story.

stewy

Yeah I'm currently at the point where I need to start hunting more. I find the loot, weapon and syringe limit is way too much for me right now. gotta land me some deer.

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to say that Bioshock doesn't encourage mixing up strategies when the entire podcast is playing the game on easy.

I used to beat street fighter 2 on easy by spamming chun li's leg kick. By p1p logic that means that sf2 has a shitty fighting system.

Great episode otherwise.

LiK

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to say that Bioshock doesn't encourage mixing up strategies when the entire podcast is playing the game on easy.

I used to beat street fighter 2 on easy by spamming chun li's leg kick. By p1p logic that means that sf2 has a shitty fighting system.

Great episode otherwise.

Indeed, playing on Normal is the best difficulty and cuz I has so much fun mixing up Vigors. If you don't mix up Vigors, the game isn't quite as fun.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I think what was meant by that is that there really aren't enemies who require a specific vigor or combination of vigors (or vigor+ specific weapon) to necessitate mixing things up. Even the people I know who played on hard--in fact, especially the people I know who played on hard--found the one or two vigors they liked best or found most effective, and stuck with them through the whole game.

But it was a good humble brag anyway.

eznark

Banned

Great episode otherwise.

Does hard difficulty add new enemy types or different invulnerabilities to existing enemies?

eznark

Banned
I played through on normal and used the crow thing and the sniper rifle. The crows weren't even terribly effective but they were really funny.

LiK

Does hard difficulty add new enemy types or different invulnerabilities to existing enemies?
no, it only makes you weaker and they're harder to kill cuz they have more life. I didn't play Hard but I beat 1999 Mode and you get less loot and enemies regain all life back if you die.

ow yeah forgot to post this but first half of ep 340 HAD TERRIBLE audio audio quality again :(

Please everyone make sure you hit record on your local pc/mac because the skype backup is just not good enough.

LiK

I disagree with Mike so hard about FC3: Blood Dragon. I don't see why he hates it so much. So much fun and the gun upgrades are so ridiculous and overpowered. i loved the fire and explosive ammo upgrades. BOOM.

I'm also surprised CJ didn't point out another awesome thing in the final mission. How did you forget that, dude? That was more fun than the other thing you mentioned.

Fuck you guys.

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite but I usually find it easier to mix things up and vary my play style on easy because there is much more leeway for messing up. Whereas on higher difficulties I don't have the dexterity to do anything more than the path of least resistance

I also enjoyed the unlimited ammo distinction this episode - the ammo is only unlimited as long as you are alive :lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
I don't see why he hates it so much.

I don't think I "hate" it. There's enough of a kernel of FC3 in there that I was able to finish it.

But it was dark and ugly and unfunny, despite trying its ass off to be so. Much of the fun I derived from FC3 was in exploring the world. I had no desire to explore Blood Dragon's world. There was nothing in it to delight me around every corner the way FC3 did.

I think what was meant by that is that there really aren't enemies who require a specific vigor or combination of vigors (or vigor+ specific weapon) to necessitate mixing things up. Even the people I know who played on hard--in fact, especially the people I know who played on hard--found the one or two vigors they liked best or found most effective, and stuck with them through the whole game.

But it was a good humble brag anyway.

You caught me in my I played a videogame on the default setting humblebrag :(

For me, on normal, I had an amazing time with the combat in bioshock after the first couple hours when I stopped playing it like a modern shooter and played it more like Quake. Up to that point I was making it through the game just fine hanging back and hiding behind cover and just picking guys off and using vigors if they got close. And I guess that's a failing of the game that playing like that is effective. But once I started playing it like a spaz and bum rushing enemies, dropping vigors on them, jumping on a skyline, shooting them as a fly away, turn around and shoot them as I come back, launch from the skyline and land on someone killing them, launching more vigors and just spraying bullets to high heaven with no down the scope (HIPFIRE FO LYFEEEE)... the game just became amazing.

I'm guessing that doesn't work on hard. I'm also guessing that there's no reason to do it on easy. Shit, there may be no reason to do it on normal and I may have just lucked out because I play videogames like an idiot. But whenever I hear you guys describe the combat in Bioshock it's completely the opposite of what i experienced.

mik

mik is unbeatable
It just doesn't require--or even encourage--experimentation.

Comparing it to Far Cry 3 is not really apples-to-apples, but I'm about to do it anyway. In clearing out an encampment in FC3, I have all sorts of options and reasons to use all my tools, and my wits, to do so. I can approach from any angle, go in stealthy and take out as many guys as possible without detection, rain fire on the whole place, unleash a tiger on them, run a train of komodo dragons into the camp, or even place mines in the road to take out reinforcements as they arrive.

Those options are worlds more interesting than the choice between crows, which surrounds the enemy in a cloud of crows, or fire, which engulfs the enemy in flames. Those are functionally identical.

LiK

Easy mode = dudes drop dead from a few shots. So using Vigors is mostly for some fun.

1999 Mode = only stuck with 3 Vigors cuz I needed them maxed out to be effective. Not too much variety cuz survival is tough. Gears are also way more important.

It just doesn't require--or even encourage--experimentation.

Comparing it to Far Cry 3 is not really apples-to-apples, but I'm about to do it anyway. In clearing out an encampment in FC3, I have all sorts of options and reasons to use all my tools, and my wits, to do so. I can approach from any angle, go in stealthy and take out as many guys as possible without detection, rain fire on the whole place, unleash a tiger on them, run a train of komodo dragons into the camp, or even place mines in the road to take out reinforcements as they arrive.

Those options are worlds more interesting than the choice between crows, which surrounds the enemy in a cloud of crows, or fire, which engulfs the enemy in flames. Those are functionally identical.

Yeah, i guess I'm not arguing that the vigors themselves are amazing but in combination with everything else they created a fun game for me beyond the sci fi emotionalism that is handmade for my brain. I also wouldn't argue against your comparison... clearing out camps in Far Cry 3 does give you many more options. And far cry 3 is fun.

But I also beat Bioshock in 2 sittings because I was completely in love with every second of it. I still haven't finished far cry 3, mostly because when I play I don't do a goddamn thing in the story - which is a completely different topic. I have tiger pelts out the ass though.

I think the bigger issue in Infinite is how 99% of the enemy encounter design is 'go into an arena, hordes of enemies stream out from the woodwork and then you fight them'. The enemy encounter design in Bioshock 1 or 2 was much better, where often you see enemies before they see you, and you can plan ahead of time what you're going to do including laying traps or taking the environment (water, gas puddles etc) into account. This frees you up to more experimentation with the various plasmids whereas in Infinite battle is usually so chaotic and there are so many dudes, you're just reacting all the time, and in those scenarios its easier just to go with what works than play around with new things.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you

Great episode otherwise.
I played normal halfway through the game. Never had a need to mix up strategies. The only reason I dropped down to easy was to get it over with.

stewy

Up to that point I was making it through the game just fine hanging back and hiding behind cover and just picking guys off and using vigors if they got close. And I guess that's a failing of the game that playing like that is effective.

That's pretty much hitting the nail on the head. On normal, at least, the game did very little to force me out of those situations and engage the enemies at close range. So I barely ever did.

SickBoy

I'm shocked and appalled that after the callout for Lunchables tweets, my Lunchables tweet went ignored. Great community building CJ!

In case you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic. You stink like an elephant's butt!

Mik, you should guest on CJ's movie podcast to talk about The Trip. I was looking around Netflix the other night and recognized it from your avatar. I ended up really liking it.

SuperPac

Everyone should listen to my movie podcast because it's a fun time. Stream On Show - http://www.streamonshow.com. We just did one on 13 Assassins, which was rad.

But also, new episode is up!

342: Nintendo Should

This week! More bad news for Nintendo equals more people becoming amateur Iwatas, EA axes the online pass, Gran Turismo 6 coming for the Pee Ess Triple. Plus! Bioshock Infinite [Spoilers from 59:00 - 1:08:50], Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Resident Evil Revelations (demo), Karaoke Channel, Thunder Wolves, Ace Patrol and so much more! We're going to be doing a special Xbox Reveal Post-Cast this Tuesday. Join us live for that, details here or follow p1podcast on Twitter.

1:23:30 runtime

Site: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/342
Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/05_20_13-Episode342.mp3
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/playeronepodcast
Video: http://youtu.be/XxnIiITjj1g?a

Watched it live... enjoyable show. The theories that people throw out about how nintendo can "fix" things make me want to jump off a building so it was nice hearing others laughing off the absurdity of them.

SuperPac

Yeah I really can't stand that stuff. Usually those yelling drop the price have no interest in buying a Wii U at any price. They just think that will boost sales - and it will, but it's an extremely temporary fix. If you have no momentum on software you'll be right back to your dismal numbers very quickly. Unless something is very, very wrong you don't drop the price 6 months in.

The fix is get your software lineup in order like you did with 3DS, try to keep current owners happy/loyal as you can and hope you can carve a nice market out of the demographics ignored on Sony/Microsoft platforms at the start of a new gen.

And that Nintendo gets criticized for relying too much on nostalgia in the press by the same folks who suggest they launch a Netflix for retro games is humorous to me. Which is it, you do or don't want Nintendo to use their catalog as a selling point?

eznark

Banned
Watched it live... enjoyable show. The theories that people throw out about how nintendo can "fix" things make me want to jump off a building so it was nice hearing others laughing off the absurdity of them.

Yeah those people are nuts.

Let's talk about how the future is bright for Vita!

What the hell was CJ talking about with the scanning in Revelations? He literally made up all of that stuff about having to move the gamepad. You hold a shoulder button and move the stick like in the other versions. Explain your lies, CJ.

Top Bottom