• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Byakuya769 said:
Raistlin, gofreak, and Byakuya769 vindicated?

I don't think there's any hint about separate processing hardware or the OS setup in the comments Sony's made.

Indeed, you could maybe read some of them contrary to what I've speculated about (e.g. depending on your definition of 'proprietary' and how much you want to read into the fact that he labelled the PSP platform as such).

Also, and maybe I'm being pedantic here, but whilst I think two OSes are probable, two distinct execution environments would be a possibility alternatively, with Android being the wrapper/interface for both (with one of these environments being Sony's own exclusive one). But I do tend to think it unlikely SCE will put Android on a dedicated device, so maybe we'll still see two distinct OSes from a user's POV too.

YourMaster said:
I don't own a psp, my DS eats up all my playtime and the psp has little that interests me, but I need a phone anyway and it is sure to have some nice games.

I will get this when:
- It's almost as good a phone as my nokia 1100 (like, you know, call people)
- It has a battery live of at least 5 days on standby
- Cost at most 150/200€
- 40€ games at most
Why would you possibly need it to last 5 days?

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
You know this could explain why Sony are taking too much time to reveal the thing, ambitious plan like this take time and coordination between the Sony divisions and partners and so on.

Fall 2011 doesn't look like a bad date to me anymore.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that setup do makes a lot of sense. But I don't think that Sony would include it for BD/Google Tv though. Of course, it could only be an abstraction layer build into android itself.

xtop

more details

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/the-playstation-phone-new-photos-more-details/

pspphoneengadgetnewmain.jpg

We've gotten our hands on some more images of the PlayStation Phone, and gleaned a few more juicy details about the handset. Firstly, as you can see in the photos, the model in question does indeed seem to be codenamed "Zeus" (as we reported on the 27th). Furthermore, the handset pictured is running Android 2.2, though apparently there are multiple devices out there with different versions on board (including at least one packed with Android 3.0). Based on what we know, there's little chance the phone will launch with Froyo -- but it's clear these have been worked on for some time with various versions of the OS.

The device appears to have an 8GB microSD card slotted, and at least 512MB of internal storage (though we're hoping it's the 1GB we've heard would be present). As you can see from the pictures in the gallery below, the device isn't exactly thin -- we surmise that the handset is around 17mm thick, or slightly thicker than HTC's Touch Pro 2 (and funnily enough, about the same as the PSPgo). From a design standpoint, the device seems to have more in common with BlackBerry handsets than previous Sony Ericsson phones; that smoky chrome bezel which surrounds the device is definitely giving us Torch flashbacks. As always, we're hard at work digging up more info on the phone (and potentially more images), but for now, just sit tight and enjoy the exclusive photos in the gallery below.

spwolf

gofreak said:
I don't think there's any hint about separate processing hardware or the OS setup in the comments Sony's made.

Indeed, you could maybe read some of them contrary to what I've speculated about (e.g. depending on your definition of 'proprietary' and how much you want to read into the fact that he labelled the PSP platform as such).

Also, and maybe I'm being pedantic here, but whilst I think two OSes are probable, two distinct execution environments would be a possibility alternatively, with Android being the wrapper/interface for both (with one of these environments being Sony's own exclusive one). But I do tend to think it unlikely SCE will put Android on a dedicated device, so maybe we'll still see two distinct OSes from a user's POV too.

i really dont see that happening (two OSs), but i do see them having full OS and minimial os for some devices like ebook readers or bd players, as well as some better than android 2.2 access to hardware with custom api's.

When I say that, i mean it from perspective that it seems that all future devices will be now done under same firmware team. I expect much much better and more unified effort in the future. Heck I bet Sony has tons of firmware engineers in house, maybe even more than Apple or Google, they are just spread over tons of devices.

as to the extra cost of extra gpu - i wouldnt think of it as 20$ extra, i would think standard cpu/gpu combo that is going to be there is going to be $10 extra basically, and it is quite cost effective way to add longer battery life, app support and who knows what else to the gaming centric platform.

Fuck think of iPad with real gaming controls and real gpu...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
"the device isn't exactly thin -- we surmise that the handset is around 17mm thick, or slightly thicker than HTC's Touch Pro 2 (and funnily enough, about the same as the PSPgo)"

Someone with better knowledge of Smartphones can answer this: Is that just a consequence of the gaming controls or the device itself could be bulkier (like including the additional chipset, ;) ).

xtop

Lonely1 said:
"the device isn't exactly thin -- we surmise that the handset is around 17mm thick, or slightly thicker than HTC's Touch Pro 2 (and funnily enough, about the same as the PSPgo)"

Someone with better knowledge of Smartphones can answer this: Is that just a consequence of the gaming controls or the device itself could be bulkier (like including the additional chipset, ;) ).

i think sprint's epic 4g is only 14mm, so i see no reason why controls would add an extra 3mm. hopefully we can attribute its bulk to being prototype

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shame they had to blur the whole screen in that first pic. Wonder if there was anything interesting in there beyond the (presumably) identifying info about the person who has the phone.

Hm, I have undistorted a partially unobscured picture of him, not sure if I should post it :lol

Resolution looks 480p ish to me, but I'm not a pixel counter by trade.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
Hm, I have undistorted a partially unobscured picture of him, not sure if I should post it :lol

A reflection in the screen? Maybe that's why they blurred it... don't know why they didn't just black out the screen totally.

Nothing interesting on the screen though, I guess?

Luigiv

xtop said:
i think sprint's epic 4g is only 14mm, so i see no reason why controls would add an extra 3mm. hopefully we can attribute its bulk to being prototype
I can. Gaming buttons need more play to them then keyboard keys do.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
leroidys said:
What's your guys' best guess for an official reveal date?

CES seems entirely appropriate (jan 6-9). This would be the kind of 'trophy' cross-Sony strategy that Stringer has probably longed to present to the world (if speculation around it is correct, of course).

OTOH, Sony currently isn't scheduled to do any keynotes, and the only press event they have scheduled right now is a 45 minute event at their CES booth. Not exactly the grand presentations they've done in previous years. But maybe their plans will change.

brain_stew said:
That really does deserve its own thread gofreak. Its all but outright confirmation that that the upcoming PSP2 and this SE phone are part of the same platform.

Now, a few things don't quite add up yet, and they mostly relate to specs. I don't believe an off the shelf midrange Qualcomm SOC is anything that SCE's engineer's would ever entertain as it simply does not offer particularly great gaming performance per watt. Its a great smartphone chip but a poor choice for a dedicated gaming device and it also puts them at great risk of widespread piracy and Qualcomm holding them to ransom once the chip is EOL. It is also doesn't match up with all the developer and source quotes that describe an immensley capable gaming device that blows away anything else on the market. Tying up all the loose ends this is the strategy that seems to make the most sense going off all the tidbits we have:

PSP2 is a single hardware platform shared between multiple devices.

There will be phone products, tablet products and a dedicated PSP2 device that are all capable of playing PSP2 games.

PSP2 is not an MSM8655 but it will appear in products utilising that chipset. Adding a Qualcomm SOC to a device that retail for $500+ is a none issue. We're talking about a $20/$30 cost at most here and it brings with it several advantages. It should deliver better general performance for a given power budget than PSP2 hardware can in general OS usage, it can be upgraded overtime which is absolutely crucial since SE doesn't want to use the same hardware in their phones forever more and it can run everything on the Android marketplace.

The PSP2 chipset is custom so that it prevents widespread piracy on Android devices and so that it can deliver a quantum leap in mobile graphics while staying at a lower power budget. Its probably something like a "mini CELL" or dual MIPS cores together with wide FPU units + an SGX543MP4 (which has been consistantly rumoured and fits the bill). There's probably a nice chunk of fast RAM on the SOC as well.

PSP2 games run in a cut down OS with minimal overhead, not Android. PSP2 devices which do come with Android (i.e. tablets and phones but not the dedicated PSP2, at lest initially) will run Android on their separate SOC and the PSP2 hardware will be completely shut down when they do this, but the device will seamlessly transition between OSes.

Battery life on the smartphone will be par for the course in Android but pretty poor when booting into PSP2 (or "X system") mode but sine mobile consumers are used to 3D games killing their batteries dead its a none issue. With die shrinks it will continue to get better.

The actual PSP2 device will have pretty decent battery life since it can pack a big ass ~2000MAH battery inside given its larger form factor and lack of secondary SOC.

All games will be sold at retail and via PSN. Some devices will not have a slot for physical games but all store bought games will include Steam style activation codes, making a retail copy good for multiple PSP2 devices. The one off online activation DRM will prevent users from selling their physical copies while keeping their online version. Sony will partner with game retailer to allow one off activation via Wifi instore if customers fo not have access to wifi at home. Since wifi is so ubiquitous now, being in most homes and being offered free in many outlets, requiring a one time online activation isn't a big issue and it will help fight piracy and used sales. We're only talking about transferring <1MB of data here, even a dialup connection will suffice.

--------

So in summary:

Sony has the market leading dedicated gaming device with better graphics than any other platform will offer for 3-4 years at least.

They can approach the massive growth markets of Android smartphones and tablets with a very unique and prestigious USP.

Piracy and second hand sales are all but killed over night.

PSP2 is guaranteed a very large userbase, making attracting developer support much easier than it could have.

It makes too much God damn sense, no individual platform is compromised, instead they're all enriched.

dude i'm bookmarking this post.

The additional photos definitely help further confirm that the device is real.

EDIT: Hrrrrm.

MORE EDIT: Nope, still not seeing what has people convinced that we're looking at the successor PSP platform here. The thing has only Sony Ericsson branding, even, and every piece of Playstation-related branding is hidden away when it's closed!

The idea that Sony's going to blitz us with the announcement of a whole family of PSP2 products that all share an underlying architecture and network system but are each entirely distinct and tuned for a different submarket strikes me as picking and choosing select bits from the rumors that are floating around. There's been no ostensibly leaked info that points at anything remotely like that, and not much besides the extraordinarily vague quotes from the earnings call above that suggests this kind of radical approach either to the phone or dedicated gaming portable market.

brain_stew said:
That really does deserve its own thread gofreak. Its all but outright confirmation that that the upcoming PSP2 and this SE phone are part of the same platform.

Now, a few things don't quite add up yet, and they mostly relate to specs. I don't believe an off the shelf midrange Qualcomm SOC is anything that SCE's engineer's would ever entertain as it simply does not offer particularly great gaming performance per watt. Its a great smartphone chip but a poor choice for a dedicated gaming device and it also puts them at great risk of widespread piracy and Qualcomm holding them to ransom once the chip is EOL. It is also doesn't match up with all the developer and source quotes that describe an immensley capable gaming device that blows away anything else on the market. Tying up all the loose ends this is the strategy that seems to make the most sense going off all the tidbits we have:

PSP2 is a single hardware platform shared between multiple devices.

There will be phone products, tablet products and a dedicated PSP2 device that are all capable of playing PSP2 games.

PSP2 is not an MSM8655 but it will appear in products utilising that chipset. Adding a Qualcomm SOC to a device that retail for $500+ is a none issue. We're talking about a $20/$30 cost at most here and it brings with it several advantages. It should deliver better general performance for a given power budget than PSP2 hardware can in general OS usage, it can be upgraded overtime which is absolutely crucial since SE doesn't want to use the same hardware in their phones forever more and it can run everything on the Android marketplace.

The PSP2 chipset is custom so that it prevents widespread piracy on Android devices and so that it can deliver a quantum leap in mobile graphics while staying at a lower power budget. Its probably something like a "mini CELL" or dual MIPS cores together with wide FPU units + an SGX543MP4 (which has been consistantly rumoured and fits the bill). There's probably a nice chunk of fast RAM on the SOC as well.

PSP2 games run in a cut down OS with minimal overhead, not Android. PSP2 devices which do come with Android (i.e. tablets and phones but not the dedicated PSP2, at lest initially) will run Android on their separate SOC and the PSP2 hardware will be completely shut down when they do this, but the device will seamlessly transition between OSes.

Battery life on the smartphone will be par for the course in Android but pretty poor when booting into PSP2 (or "X system") mode but sine mobile consumers are used to 3D games killing their batteries dead its a none issue. With die shrinks it will continue to get better.

The actual PSP2 device will have pretty decent battery life since it can pack a big ass ~2000MAH battery inside given its larger form factor and lack of secondary SOC.

All games will be sold at retail and via PSN. Some devices will not have a slot for physical games but all store bought games will include Steam style activation codes, making a retail copy good for multiple PSP2 devices. The one off online activation DRM will prevent users from selling their physical copies while keeping their online version. Sony will partner with game retailer to allow one off activation via Wifi instore if customers fo not have access to wifi at home. Since wifi is so ubiquitous now, being in most homes and being offered free in many outlets, requiring a one time online activation isn't a big issue and it will help fight piracy and used sales. We're only talking about transferring <1MB of data here, even a dialup connection will suffice.

--------

So in summary:

Sony has the market leading dedicated gaming device with better graphics than any other platform will offer for 3-4 years at least.

They can approach the massive growth markets of Android smartphones and tablets with a very unique and prestigious USP.

Piracy and second hand sales are all but killed over night.

PSP2 is guaranteed a very large userbase, making attracting developer support much easier than it could have.

It makes too much God damn sense, no individual platform is compromised, instead they're all enriched.

You pretty much stole my response.

This is what I touted what Sony should have done with the PSP since pre-3DS reveal. This really is a potential opportunity. If this succeeds then they can do similar things in the console space as well (I.E. Sony TV with PSN store).

Despite naysayers, there is a huge potential market for people wanting to do some serious gaming on media devices. Whether it be phone, tablet, portable media player, or set top box.

If Sony does this right, and I mean RIGHT as in Apple-right. They'll have the (second) biggest comeback in videogame history. If things play out other than perfect then this will tank.

The ball is in your court Sony. There's less than 4 seconds on the clock. And your behind the three point line. You can either get nothing but net or miss it completely.

patsu

It is possible that Android will run on all Sony consumer devices. Their TV has it, their Blu-ray player settop box has it too. Add phone, tablet and pad to the list.

xtop said:

I'd rather we attribute it to extra beefy gaming hardware! :D

Spiegel

So let's speculate. How will we play PSP2 games that require buttons on the tablet?

I'm guessing synching a PS3/new controller would be the most logical option

It looks to use a standard Micro USB connection so could someone that's useful with photoshop use that to calculate the length of the unit?

Spiegel said:
So let's speculate. How will we play PSP2 games that require buttons on the tablet?

By placing buttons on the tablet frame, not difficult really. They can be hidden under a tab if necessary or slide out the sides.

All the units will ofcourse support syncingn a DS3 over BT just like the PSP Go of course, that much is a given.

charlequin said:

MORE EDIT: Nope, still not seeing what has people convinced that we're looking at the successor PSP platform here. The thing has only Sony Ericsson branding, even, and every piece of Playstation-related branding is hidden away when it's closed!

The idea that Sony's going to blitz us with the announcement of a whole family of PSP2 products that all share an underlying architecture and network system but are each entirely distinct and tuned for a different submarket strikes me as picking and choosing select bits from the rumors that are floating around. There's been no ostensibly leaked info that points at anything remotely like that, and not much besides the extraordinarily vague quotes from the earnings call above that suggests this kind of radical approach either to the phone or dedicated gaming portable market.

sorry to keep quote-replying you, but this is where i am right now.

they are trying to get SE phones to have a unique spin of being for gamers, and they are going to put 3G or Edge (most likely data-only) into the PSP2, ala sony's recent comments about always-on connection. just like the ipad, kindle, nook, etc. etc. that all have data-only connections, it's not too far-fetched to imagine sony doing this with their PSP.

a lot of people's gripe with the digital content with PSP was the delivery method. having to be on wifi, or use the terrible PC store app, or go through your PS3 (which doesn't have access to comics section) was too much of a hassle. and if PSP2 weren't' to have 3G/Edge then it would be a huge negative point in any reviews or in the eyes of customers when all their other devices have had data since forever.

so this phone = SE phone focused on gaming, having nothing to do with PS division of sony
PSP2 = true successor to PSP with data connectivity and cures cancer with mouth jays

we need some mole/leak to help clarify these two separate sets of rumors. :mad:

Lonely1 said:

There's plenty of smartphones with qwerty sliders that are significantly thinner than that. The gaming controls alone aren't enough justification for it to be that thick. Got to make space for that Mini CELL ;).

AndyD

aka andydumi
charlequin said:

Its prototype hardware. Marketing has not had its hands on it yet. My Walkman SE phone only has a tiny Walkman logo on one button on it when closed, cosmetic stuff i would not expect on a prototype. Most of the branding is in the software and interface.

I can see them testing the water with a PS branded phone honestly. Sell it subsidized on contract and they can put out $700 hardware for 2-300 like every other manufacturer right now. Simultaneously put out a PS tab no phone for full price? I think it would be a bad move, and better to wait a year when the hardware cheapens and they can put it out for $2-300 standalone.

As to thikness, its got to be extra strong battery and cooling. Long gaming sessions will surely heat and drain power like crazy.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Spiegel said:

A very thin or small controller that is attached to the tablet and when you want just take it from the tablet and play.

Lonely1 said:
Yeah, that setup do makes a lot of sense. But I don't think that Sony would include it for BD/Google Tv though. Of course, it could only be an abstraction layer build into android itself.

I don't expect it either but I'm just presenting it as an option that will be open to them by having a really nice <2w SOC that can deliver some fantastic graphics. As far as I'm concerned, the more devices that can buy their content the better for both Sony and their partners.

spwolf

brain_stew said:
I don't expect it either but I'm just presenting it as an option that will be open to them by having a really nice <2w SOC that can deliver some fantastic graphics. As far as I'm concerned, the more devices that can buy their content the better for both Sony and their partners.

sure, think of it this way - this Playstation TVs might have bluetooth and you might be able to connect Move or DS3 to them!!!!

(in reality very different control schemes so it would require somewhat dedicated games)

charlequin said:

A Playstation Phone could have and should have happened at any time. Why is it set to release at damn near exactly the same time as the PSP2? Its too much of a coincidence and I just can't see how Stringer would ever allow two competing Playstation platforms to release at the same time.

Corto

So is anyone in need of a kidney? I'm counting on selling one of mine to get the PSPhone, the tablet and the PSP2 next year. PM me with proposals. I'll accept paypal.

Corto said:
So is anyone in need of a kidney? I'm counting on selling one of mine to get the PSPhone, the tablet and the PSP2 next year. PM me with proposals. I'll accept paypal.

If the tablet, phone and PSP2 standalone are all true, why would you want all 3? Well but then again I know people with multiple iphones and ipod touches and they bought an ipad, nevermind...

spwolf said:
sure, think of it this way - this Playstation TVs might have bluetooth and you might be able to connect Move or DS3 to them!!!!

(in reality very different control schemes so it would require somewhat dedicated games)

All the physical controls on this device can be replicated by a DS3. The PSP Go already supports syncing a DS3 over BT and any PSP2 device surely will as well.

spwolf

AranhaHunter said:
If the tablet, phone and PSP2 standalone are all true, why would you want all 3? Well but then again I know people with multiple iphones and ipod touches and they bought an ipad, nevermind...

indeed... it is same strategy, applied to Sony situation... in fact, I was reading some Sony guidances from 2008 and they said back then that "they will look for innovation anywhere, including outside", which was clear reference to what is happening now.

Corto

AranhaHunter said:

Tablet for browsing, video and e-reader and games in a larger beautiful screen. PSP2 for games and multimedia, PSPhone for ... phone and bit sized games, calendar/agenda/GTD and Android library awesomeness.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:
All the physical controls on this device can be replicated by a DS3. The PSP Go already supports syncing a DS3 over BT and any PSP2 device surely will as well.

The touchpad might present problems however.

Speaking of which, kind of uncanny that functionally this device has everything the PSP2 supposedly has in terms of interface, everything that's new about it, if they're separate platforms...

edit - also, I think Sony's comments are vague, but also kind of telling without reading between the lines too much. He was asked in general terms about new Playstation products and where they'd come from. In his response he jumps immediately to refer to 'new PSP product', then goes on to talk about cellphone gaming and how mobile gaming is changing, then talks about corporate structure and how Sony Ericsson and SCE are different elements in this mix and how these different parts are working together on mobile strategy without overlap/redundancy....I mean...he kind of gave us a lot here while confirming nothing, if you know what I mean. I dunno though, we shall see.

spwolf

brain_stew said:

indeed, but it doesnt seem likely that they will sell you $200 of extra hardware in TV when they can sell you... PS3 for same money... it is just not feasible. Well it is, i just dont see it happening large scale, and hence devs probably wont target it.

.... will next PS4 come with Google TV?! That makes a lot more sense.

Aras

D: !!!!!
well ... i guesst this news isn't surprising at all knowing sony has been part of the cell phones market since a lot of time :p

kewl *-*

AranhaHunter said:

Plenty of people that own a dedicated handheld also own a tablet and smartphone. If you're going to buy three devices anyway, why not buy devices that allow you to share your game library between them?

The dedicated PSP2 device should have some advantages of its own when compared to the phone, like a bigger battery and larger screen.

NomarTyme

brain_stew said:
Plenty of people that own a dedicated handheld also own a tablet and smartphone. If you're going to buy three devices anyway, why not buy devices that allow you to share your game library between them?

The dedicated PSP2 device should have some advantages of its own when compared to the phone, like a bigger battery and larger screen.
And ergonomics.

Batongen

Banned
It's a good thing I'm not at SonyEricsson anymore to test this phone/game hybrid (left 6 months ago), because that shit looks like a X10 mini pro with Sony's play scheme. With all the shit customization they usually put on, like mediascape and timescape, I fully expect this to come out next fall and not even make a noice in the market place.

Top Bottom