• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company speaks out against cheating

Oops lol. Well I've never played competitive in Pokémon so I'm not ever sure how that all works. Am I missing out on much?

I think competitive battling is fun in moderation. If your favorites aren't top tier or the typical tactics aren't to your liking then it may not be for you. I had a friend who was a Gym Leader for Serebii's league a few years ago and I myself have done some battling and of course IV/EV min-maxing in my day and it's okay, but in recent games I've just played for fun.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oops lol. Well I've never played competitive in Pokémon so I'm not ever sure how that all works. Am I missing out on much?

Well, it's... something. It's good and fun but has some weird stuff too, so essentially your average competitive community :p

The leading community even separated mons into tiers (in a way that lower tier mon can be used in higher tier matches but not the other way around) so you can enjoy using your favorite mons without problem.

With that said, it's a good argument against people saying Pokemon lacked depth.

gngf123

Competitive Pokemon is the best part man!

Maybe some people can be put off when first learning about EVs, IV's and all these hidden mechanics in the game (the stuff people cheat with), but the battles themselves are great fun.

XenodudeX

Man this IV/EV talk is kind of killing my hype for X and Y. I really don't want to spend 100s of hours just to not get blown out of the water if I want to battle other people online. IV/EV training doesn't sound very fun imo.

Boss Doggie

Man this IV/EV talk is kind of killing my hype for X and Y. I really don't want to spend 100s of hours just to not get blown out of the water if I want to battle other people online. IV/EV training doesn't sound very fun imo.

Casual online fights doesn't really have that problem, at least as far as my experience goes lol

It's the high end competitive training that has that and it's generally not found in random matches.

MBR

Banned
I've never really seen the problem with hacking in your own pokémon, I mean, in actual tournaments you'll have to verify that your max IV, fully EV optimized shiny Salamence is "real" if someone complains about it, I'd guess? With stuff like different ID's and whatnot, which isn't that easy to get right, if I remember my PokéSav correctly.

I haven't seen that much of an issue in random online battles either, or on the global trade thingy.

If you want to cheat in a (mostly) single player game, whatever, it's your experience, not mine.

With that said, it's a good argument against people saying Pokemon lacked depth.

I still remember playing Battle Rev with some friends and I went online with my beefed up Slaking and beat a Palkia and Dialga. My friends couldn't believe it, "they're legendaries and you can't move every turn!"

Granted, his base stats certainly helped even if I he wasn't my main team Slaking and I didn't EV train.

Forkball

Pokemon should have the best online features of any franchise, but it has the worst thanks to cheating. You are often matched up against an edited team, or have jerks trying to trade for level 100 Mews all the time on the GTS because they know people have so many dupes. I really wish these games were harder to crack.

backlot

You don't need to spend hundreds of hours and you don't need absolute max IVs to compete. If you know what you're doing you can get the most important one or two max IVs easily and you'll do fine. You might not even need that much.

Boss Doggie

Pokemon should have the best online features of any franchise, but it has the worst thanks to cheating. You are often matched up against an edited team, or have jerks trying to trade for level 100 Mews all the time on the GTS because they know people have so many dupes. I really wish these games were harder to crack.

Generally for trading I just leave a vied Pokemon, like say a Scraggy, for a specific mon. Or you can just ask around. Random trading is kinda shitty but it's hilarious to see Magnemite.

You don't need to spend hundreds of hours and you don't need absolute max IVs to compete. If you know what you're doing you can get the most important one or two max IVs easily and you'll do fine. You might not even need that much.
You probably won't, if GF keeps their lv. 50 online battle thing up.

I can't imagine a real need to train up to lv. 100 anymore in the new games unless you really want to, or need to get moves at the upper levels.

And yes, there's battles with friends, but it's still time saved.

backlot

Even if random matchup teams are edited I've never seen one with something that shouldn't be possible. I don't think cheating has ruined it.

PSYGN

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of cloning pokemon, and genetically modifying traits of a pokemon for use in tourneys makes me sick to the stomach. What is the world coming to?!

GooeyHeat

How about we drop IV's and possibly Natures, or as I like to call them, "hahahahaha your pokemon's most important stat is shitty and now you need to catch another one fuck you hahaha".

EV's are kind of cool, though, gives you a way to customize your team more. Keep those and make them a little more transparent.

How about we drop IV's and possibly Natures, or as I like to call them, "hahahahaha your pokemon's most important stat is shitty and now you need to catch another one fuck you hahaha".

EV's are kind of cool, though, gives you a way to customize your team more. Keep those and make them a little more transparent.

Yeah I've always liked the idea behind EV's though like you I wish the process was less hidden. IV's and natures are basically just time sinks though. I don't have the patience to fuck around with the breeder for 10 hours just to get a couple good battling Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I've always liked the idea behind EV's though I wish the process was less hidden. IV's and natures are basically just time sinks though. I don't have the patience to fuck around with the breeder for 10 hours just to get a couple good battling Pokemon.

Nature is fun though, and I think it should remain. Pretty much gives useless stats some use as fodder :p

I want X/Y to show me my starter Pokemon's Nature before I start though.

And Nature-breeding is pretty much easy. Hell, breeding is made easy as of Gen 5.

Deft Beck

I don't know about anyone else, but I just play the game. No idea how EVs/IVs work but it doesn't impact my enjoyment. Now, if I could only get back into Black...

Zeroth

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of cloning pokemon, and genetically modifying traits of a pokemon for use in tourneys makes me sick to the stomach. What is the world coming to?!

The world GameFreak wants. The pokemons you spent your story mode with? They are objectively weaker than whatever pokemon I hatch and has higher IVs. The system is balanced so that trainers breed several pokemons to get a good IV/Nature pokemon.

That would be for the best, but people are arguing it "removes pokemon's uniqueness", which is silly because the game itself incentives that there are pokemon inherently better. The game would be much more fair if it was like a competitive match with 2 pokemons with perfect IVs: At that point, the only aspect that really matters is your strategy, because your pokemons are on equal grounds. Being unique shouldn't mean "being weaker".

Bulbasaur

Banned
Pokemon battling should be more about your battling skills, guessing game skills, and knowledge over grinding random number generators.

This.

I get a pokemon with a suitable nature and that's it. I just hope for the best, there's no way I'm getting calculators and scoring how many times I fought something that gives attack IVs. That isn't fun to me. Neither is playing someone who has EV trained.

If the game requires me to waste so many hundreds of hours with EVs/IVs, I will cheat.

If you know what you're doing then it should be like 20 to 30 for competitive IVs and EVs of a team of 6, depending on how lucky you are. Then you just have to raise them to 50 in most cases and you're done.

It's nowhere near "hundreds of hours" for a team unless you don't know what you're doing or aren't using BW2, which is much easier to breed in than BW.

Valnen

Make the game mechanics less obtuse to get competitive Pokemon then. I heard X/Y will make things like IV's and EV's more transparent, that's a start. But I'll sooner hack up some legit Pokemon or use a battle simulator to enjoy the metagame, as opposed to wasting my time breeding (or messing with RNG, admittedly never bothered with it) when I could be spending my time battling and team building. Then again I never played in any official tournaments, so I wasn't hurting anyone else. I used my hacked pokemon against other people's hacked pokemon lol.

Really it all comes down to . .

If they're hacked, they're not legit. Period. There's no way around that.

The Pokemon company has always been against this. And good for them, screw hackers/cheaters that can't earn things legitimately.

I would like them to implement some anti-cheat detection in the game now that they're online personally. Maybe something that erases your save file if you have any hacked Pokemon at all. That way you'll never find them online for trading/battles.

In fact just making IV's visible from the get go would solve a lot of the problems.

It would, but it would also create an environment where everyone would be aiming to make the same monsters. Keeping them hidden encourages (or forces, depending on how you look at it) variation.

It's a fundamental change that would work well for this new "cater to casual" trend we got going, but it probably piss off a lot of die hards

I would love to not have to use pen and paper while I'm training but I understand the need for it be the way it is

gngf123

It would, but it would also create an environment where everyone would be aiming to make the same monsters. Keeping them hidden encourages (or forces, depending on how you look at it) variation.

Not really. Casual players would carry on as they are, not really caring all that much.

Competitive players would do what they are already doing, breeding for the best IVs possible. They just wouldn't need to use a calculator for it any more.

Valnen

If they stamp down on the methods that allow these exploits to take place in X/Y, then they'll also need to prevent transferring from past games. And to be honest, I LOVE that idea. It's time for a fresh start!

NO. That can never happen again or they'll have to remake all the old games *again*. If I lose all my Pokemon again I will not play the games anymore, that would ruin the series.

Boss Doggie

I seriously doubt they'd disable mon transfer especially when Mewtwo is going to have a distribution thing for the movie in BW/2. His new form is relevant to Gen 6 so he'd better be transferrable.

JoeM86

I seriously doubt they'd disable mon transfer especially when Mewtwo is going to have a distribution thing for the movie in BW/2. His new form is relevant to Gen 6 so he'd better be transferrable.

Thing is, at this point in Gen III and Gen IV, we knew that the movie event would be transferrable to the following generation and what it'd unlock (Manaphy Egg + Zorua/Zoroark). Now, we don't know any of that

I like cheating in Pokemon. As long as it is a poke legally possible in the game then I see no problem hacking your way to get it (no wondertomb etc). I like competitive battling, but the current system stops all experimentation and testing due to the amount of time and effort required to get 1 poke to competitive levels.

Meh I remember using a gameshark after I beat the game and gotten bored with it to create wildy and crazy shit just to fuck around back during the Gameboy days. Using that shit in a tournament is scummy but it was fun to create a team of all Mewtwos with crazy moves they wouldn't be able to have normally.

Daingurse

If they're hacked, they're not legit. Period. There's no way around that.

The Pokemon company has always been against this. And good for them, screw hackers/cheaters that can't earn things legitimately.

I would like them to implement some anti-cheat detection in the game now that they're online personally. Maybe something that erases your save file if you have any hacked Pokemon at all. That way you'll never find them online for trading/battles.

"Legal" is what I meant to say. But personally I give no fucks. I have zero regrets Pokesaving my pokes, had so much fun playing the metagame and experimenting with different teams/strategies. I really don't know why you give a shit how people enjoy the game, but meh.

People who cheat in Pokemon...why. What's the point? It really is against the spirit of the game. If you're not training your own Pokemon it takes all the fun out of it.

Not really, I had more fun playing pokemon competitively than I ever did casually. I was burnt out by Gen 4, then I started watching competitive battling online, and before I knew it I jumped in the deep end. Being able to generate my pokes at will allowed me to enjoy the Meta-game freely.

People who cheat in Pokemon...why. What's the point? It really is against the spirit of the game. If you're not training your own Pokemon it takes all the fun out of it.

backlot

Battling is way more fun than training for me. Some people just want to get straight to the competition without and of the tedious bits.

Daingurse

Battling is way more fun than training for me. Some people just want to get straight to the competition without and of the tedious bits.

image.php

This just amuses me as Azumarill was the first and last Poke I ever bred from scratch for competitive play. It actually wasn't that bad either, hahaha. Huge Power Water/Fairy Azumarill, can't wait to get that in my veins!

I'll just say it outright:

Players who fully optimize team will usually beat those who don't.

If you're stubborn and make things harder for yourself by not optimizing your Pokemon, the other players who are conscious of the game's intricacies will always have a leg up on. Even if you both play at perfectly, said players will objectively have an advantage against you.

I'm 100% certain that you wouldn't be able to take match off against a to player like Unreality, Ray Rizzo or Wolfe. Winning the majority of your matches doesn't account for much if they're bad.

Yep to all of this. You're basically handicapping yourself before you even step in the ring.

PK Gaming

Basically, ignore these if you don't intend to become ultra competitive. I'm a fairly competitive battler and I don't obsess over them, and I still win the majority of my battles :)

If you're stubborn and make things harder for yourself by not optimizing your Pokemon, the other players who are conscious of the game's intricacies will always have a leg up on. Even if you both play at perfectly, said players will objectively have an advantage against you.

I'm 100% certain that you wouldn't be able to take match off against a to player with that kind of mindset. There's nothing wrong with playing the way you do; you just play at a level that's below most competitive players.

JoeM86

I'm 100% certain that you wouldn't be able to take match off against a to player like Unreality, Ray Rizzo or Wolfe. There's nothing wrong with playing the way you do; you just play at a level that's below most competitive players.

I have battled many highly competitive trainers in my time and won the majority of my battles. However, you're right, I'm fairly certain the world champions would beat me.

Besides, I'd rather have that handicap than obsess over getting "perfect" Pokémon, even to the point of cheating through hacks or RNG abuse.

Sandfox

Yeah I've always liked the idea behind EV's though like you I wish the process was less hidden. IV's and natures are basically just time sinks though. I don't have the patience to fuck around with the breeder for 10 hours just to get a couple good battling Pokemon.

Natures are really easy to control so there's no problem with that.

Alchemy

IVs only make sense for random single player runs, not competitive gaming and even then randomized EV gains (thanks to random encounters) solve the issue of variance for solo play. I'm totally cool with all the hacking bullshit going on because it puts pressure on Game Freak to fix their shitty IV system. It only semi makes sense if no one knows what the system is, but once its broken down and controllable by players (as high level players always will do) it becomes just a pain in the ass for legitimate players.

I'm against cheating for augmented Pokemon for use in tournaments, but in your own game, who cares? Beef up your online checks, GF.

And honestly, if you're going to make a game that ends up being an obsessive-compulsive person's nightmare, don't make the itch near-impossible to scratch. I'm not going to go back and find old Pokemon games to transfer up to the current gen. Make them all obtainable in one game or I'll find another avenue to fill my dex.

Espada

They're a day late on this. PokeGen has been producing a bunch of cheating ass pokemon for ages now. One of the reasons I avoid the GTS and Negotiations (aside from people showing off legendaries or demanding absurd trade requests) is the chance of getting a messed up pokemon and damaging your game.

FSLink

Banned
Instead of IVs, they should just make the friendship stat more important. It'd make sense thematically, be easier to manipulate, etc. Make adjustments to it of course to not make it so easy to raise.

Zeroth

Instead of IVs, they should just make the friendship stat more important. It'd make sense thematically, be easier to manipulate, etc. Make adjustments to it of course to not make it so easy to raise.

I actually thought in a different mechanic. They can keep IVs, but make it so you can spend a certain number of EVs to permanently increase a pokemon's IV stat. That would be more of a remedy for the current system, but it's better than nothing.

Would removing IVs permanently be seen as a step back, though? Some people associate "more stuff" with "better", ya know.

Make the game mechanics less obtuse to get competitive Pokemon then. I heard X/Y will make things like IV's and EV's more transparent, that's a start. But I'll sooner hack up some legal Pokemon or use a battle simulator to enjoy the metagame, as opposed to wasting my time breeding (or messing with RNG, admittedly never bothered with it) when I could be spending my time battling and team building. Then again I never played in any official tournaments, so I wasn't hurting anyone else. I used my hacked pokemon against other people's hacked pokemon lol.

Really it all comes down to . . .

tumblr_me2rtrmkw61raoufq.gif

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/violentine-1122/hero/25063052
Me, proud owner of 2 top ranked characters us and world.

People would cheat less if the methods for getting some of these Pokemon were less ridiculous. IVs and EVs make sense for playing single-player or with a friend, but in a tournament setting, you're just wasting every entrant's time by making them grind for certain stats.

I like cheating in Pokemon. As long as it is a poke legally possible in the game then I see no problem hacking your way to get it (no wondertomb etc). I like competitive battling, but the current system stops all experimentation and testing due to the amount of time and effort required to get 1 poke to competitive levels.

Some reeeeeeeeeeeal pieces of work in this thread. Cheating AND taking the high ground while doing so. So damn classy. Thanks for turning the pvp into "Cheat or lose"!

VALKYRAY

Banned
Would removing IVs permanently be seen as a step back, though? Some people associate "more stuff" with "better", ya know.

Some reeeeeeeeeeeal pieces of work in this thread. Cheating AND taking the high ground while doing so. So damn classy. Thanks for turning the pvp into "Cheat or lose"!
The sad thing is, yes it is the reality. Good luck catching that perfect jolly gyrados with perfect iv in attack and speed. Better yet good luck getting a full rain dance party and back ups with perfect nature and distribution of stats.

Top Bottom