• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company speaks out against cheating

backlot

The sad thing is, yes it is the reality. Good luck catching that perfect jolly gyrados with perfect iv in attack and speed. Better yet good luck getting a full rain dance party and back ups with perfect nature and distribution of stats.

Each new release has made breeding easier and it has gotten to the point where you could breed a Jolly Gyrados with two perfect IV's fairly quickly. Six perfect IV's are really not necessary in most cases and legitimately bred Pokemon can do just fine on WiFi. You don't have to hack or RNG to compete if you don't want to.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Each new release has made breeding easier and it has gotten to the point where you could breed a Jolly Gyrados with two perfect IV's fairly quickly. Six perfect IV's are really not necessary in most cases and legitimately bred Pokemon can do just fine on WiFi. You don't have to hack or RNG to compete if you don't want to.
Yes breeding multiple eggs, hatching them, invest ev, raise them all the way to 100, farm battle points buy TM ... Is totally not hassle.
You can't have basket ball team Lebron James, wade and some high school players for the rest and then expect to win nba championship, it just won't work

backlot

Yes breeding multiple eggs, hatching them, invest ev, raise them all the way to 100, farm battle points buy TM ... Is totally not hassle.
You can't have basket ball team Lebron James, wade and some high school players for the rest and then expect to win nba championship, it just won't work

You only need to train to level 50 for WiFi. And you really don't have to grind as much as people tend to think. There are tons of short cuts you can take.

But the point is you do not need to hack to compete and there are plenty of people who don't.

Game Freak really just needs to make a separate game for the competitive/OCD crowd. Something where you can easily and quickly create the team that you want and battle other players.

VALKYRAY

Banned
You only need to train to level 50 for WiFi. And you really don't have to grind as much as people tend to think. There are tons of short cuts you can take.

But the point is you do not need to hack to compete and there are plenty of people who don't.
Wrong.
Pokemon scaled to 100 from level 50 will be a lot weaker than Pokemon perfectly ev trained to 100. That's why level 50 and 100 are separate categories. Also certain moves Pokemon won't even learn until after level 50. How do you learn them without a generator?
Ps: like above said, you have to have multiple teams and back ups to be competitive in current meta. Good luck getting them without Pokemon generator.

backlot

Wrong.
Pokemon scaled to 100 from level 50 will be a lot weaker than Pokemon perfectly ev trained to 100. That's why level 50 and 100 are separate categories.

A Pokemon could be maxed out on EV's by level 10 depending on how you train it. You could Rare Candy it to level 100 at that point and its stats would be identical to if you trained it in battles.

PS: I've been breeding Pokemon since Emerald. I've gotten plenty of Pokemon without a generator, thanks.

Wrong.
Pokemon scaled to 100 from level 50 will be a lot weaker than Pokemon perfectly ev trained to 100. That's why level 50 and 100 are separate categories.
Gen 5 made level 50 multiplayer battles standard. There's pretty much zero reason to actually raise a Pokemon to level 100 for competitive purposes in BW/2, unless you needed a move that only appears at that level.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Let's be honest here: The problem isn't EV/IV's alone. The problem is Gamefreak doesn't balance their game. "Competitive" Pokemon is a joke. Once you have people break the numbers down and make "builds" like Smogon and other forums have done, that's it for online battles in-game. If you aren't using those builds, you're screwed.

I understand limiting some moves by types and stuff like that, but there has be something they can do to break the "meta-game"/math-game and make Pokemon more skill and random builds than cold-hard math.

Firestorm

Let's be honest here: The problem isn't EV/IV's alone. The problem is Gamefreak doesn't balance their game. "Competitive" Pokemon is a joke. Once you have people break the numbers down and make "builds" like Smogon and other forums have done, that's it for online battles in-game. If you aren't using those builds, you're screwed.

I understand limiting some moves by types and stuff like that, but there has be something they can do to break the "meta-game"/math-game and make Pokemon more skill and random builds than cold-hard math.
This is very wrong.

ZenaxPure

That's pretty far from the truth to be honest. There are so many different builds/setups/synergies you can make with how many Pokemon there are at this point that you can't predict everything. There is a reason places like Smogon are constantly re-evaluating the tier of specific Pokemon, because there is just so many different things going on. The deep meta game is built more on flavor of the month than anything else.

It's pretty common to see Pokemon not normally listed as the best pop up in official tournaments and suddenly they become super popular (IIRC Roserade is a really damn good example of this).

The competitive Pokemon scene is exactly what you wish it was, a place for people to come up with creative ideas and use crazy teams. A fight is SIGNIFICANTLY harder when someone is using their own custom made team as opposed a FOTM setup, it's way harder to predict their actions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Considering how much stuff they've rehauled lately, lolno

Kokonoe

Banned
Some of the people here could make great advocates for Lance Armstrong.

How on earth is taking steroids, which is detrimental to one's health, similar to modifying a Pokemon's IV numbers instead of breeding for hours on end at a random chance you get the IV you want?

PK Gaming

VGC (doubles) is one of the most respectable formats around, and the only one that's seriously played on a national level. Competitive pokemon is pretty damn balanced if you ask me.

Competitive Pokemon is still very much a skill based game. The weaker player usually loses to the stronger player.

CorvoSol

Well then, Pokemon company, you need to stop having these stupid ass limited edition Pokemon I can't never get, and you need to fix your damn EXP modifiers, because I shouldn't have to spend a week real time to build up a Pokemon to level 60 to evolve it.

gosox333

Well then, Pokemon company, you need to stop having these stupid ass limited edition Pokemon I can't never get, and you need to fix your damn EXP modifiers, because I shouldn't have to spend a week real time to build up a Pokemon to level 60 to evolve it.

B/W 2 pretty much fixed every grinding problem ever with the Skyscraper/Treehollow. Having so many high leveled Pokemon available to battle an infinite amount of times was probably my favorite (and most unexpected) addition to the series in a long time. In a way it was almost like a follow up to the Vs. Seeker.

And knowing how GF handles transitioning convenient and well liked features to newer games, it'll be gone in X/Y...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's funny that The Pokemon Company cares more about competitive play than Sakurai.

:lol Definitely, yes. I wish that Sakurai does care about competitive play. I just played Melee and I really miss that game.

They have said they're working on transfer methods

I'm not sure if I would start over with collecting if they decided to leave transfer method out of the game. In fact, I might boycotting pokemon games if it happened.

RNG is totally legit. I know that if I set my DS clock to a certain time and walk a certain number of steps, I will always find a Mienfoo w/ Regenerator and 70 BP Hidden Power Ice.

Gen 5 made level 50 multiplayer battles standard. There's pretty much zero reason to actually raise a Pokemon to level 100 for competitive purposes in BW/2, unless you needed a move that only appears at that level.
Literally removed autoleveling for non-Gamefreak metagames in the 5th gen. So unless you're okay with unbalanced levels, tough shit if you want to play 6v6 singles with a stranger on carts.

WhyMe6

I agree with all the points people argue relating to "ain't nobody got time for that".

Back in university, I used to hatch dozens of eggs waiting to get that perfect IVs + nature. It took forever. Yes, they made it easier for parents to pass on IVs, etc., but there wasn't a perfect way to engineer it. Back in university, I had time.

Now I am an adult and I don't have time for that. I love playing through Pokémon and legitimately enjoying the game. But, when it comes to competitive battling, and you want to make multiple teams with multiple builds of the same Pokémon for variations in techniques, IVs + natures + abilities take forever. I don't even have any sort of issue with EVs/levelling - they're *incredibly* easy to do these days - but the other stuff is painfully time consuming. Those people who say IVs don't matter are wrong - in a game of min/max %s, those little numbers make ALL the difference (especially relating to Speed).

In our local tournament, we all GTS our 'mons, all legal builds, we all have a grand old time, and the best man wins.

The day I stop hacking my Pokémon is the day Game Freak give me a timesaving, 100% guaranteed way to engineer my Pokémon's IVs, abilities and natures. I don't care if it's some 100 hour in, post-game, complete your Pokédex sort of function - it just NEEDS to be there for those people who already invest time into the game.

Madness

Don't understand how it's different than MissingNo and rare candy/master balls lol.

But damn, how can an iOS app affect Pokemon in the DS?

I really don't want to hear anything from the Pokemon company after X and Y unless its the announcement of an MMORPG. Their stubbornness at this point is starting to become irritating. They love to dictate to people how NOT to play a game and get upset when people find ways to meet needs that they won't, but release shit like Mystery dungeon and Rumble Blast, etc.

It's as though they are turning down purposely 12 million or so people handing them their wallets on a monthly basis. Makes no sense.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really don't want to hear anything from the Pokemon company after X and Y unless its the announcement of an MMORPG. Their stubbornness at this point is starting to become irritating. They love to dictate to people how NOT to play a game and get upset when people find ways to meet needs that they won't, but release shit like Mystery dungeon and Rumble Blast, etc.

It's as though they are turning down purposely 12 million or so people handing them their wallets on a monthly basis. Makes no sense.

I really hope this bolded statement is a parody lol

It's pretty easy to reach level 100 in Pokemon BW2, even prior to unlocking Hallow Tree. You can reach level 50~70 by just clearing Nimbasa Stadium.

JoeM86

Don't understand how it's different than MissingNo and rare candy/master balls lol.

But damn, how can an iOS app affect Pokemon in the DS?

Basically by uploading the Pokémon you create in the app to a server, giving you the DNS details to spoof the GTS and connect to download it

It has been discussed here countless times why a home console game or a Pokémon MMO would not work and why they are against it. Here are two recent ones:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585061
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599981
And so forth. It has nothing to do with stubbornness, it is to do with them having a) business sense, and b) respect for, and knowledge of their franchise

JoeM86

Except a home console Pokemon game might work and I've explained why in the past.

I have explained why it wouldn't, too. It'd basically lose all the features that can only be brought by it being portable, and only add sharper graphics. Pokémon is designed to be on a portable device

A wii U pokemon game could add more than just better looking graphics. Pokemon games are much better suited to handhelds but that doesn't mean they couldn't do more with the home console versions.

JoeM86

A wii U pokemon game could add more than just better looking graphics. Pokemon games are much better suited to handhelds but that doesn't mean they couldn't do more with the home console versions.

Such as? Anything a home console can do, the 3DS can do. However, the home consoles don't have the capability to have the portable features that the developers use to make Pokémon the cultural phenomenon that it has been for years

Firestorm

Pokemon MMO would work great in the hands of a competent developer experienced in the field. Unfortunately that rules out anyone Nintendo would currently think about working with on the franchise. Has nothing to do with the topic on hand though.

JoeM86

Pokemon MMO would work great in the hands of a competent developer experienced in the field. Unfortunately that rules out anyone Nintendo would currently think about working with on the franchise. Has nothing to do with the topic on hand though.

It would also have to be subscription based and Junichi Masuda, head of the franchise, has spoken out against systems such as that, due to the bulk of Pokémon players being children so that's why it won't happen, not due to developer competency. Seriously, check the thread I referred to earlier, it explains these things.

CorvoSol

B/W 2 pretty much fixed every grinding problem ever with the Skyscraper/Treehollow. Having so many high leveled Pokemon available to battle an infinite amount of times was probably my favorite (and most unexpected) addition to the series in a long time. In a way it was almost like a follow up to the Vs. Seeker.

And knowing how GF handles transitioning convenient and well liked features to newer games, it'll be gone in X/Y...

Well that's good news, because it was a pain in the neck right up to B/W. I'm still planning on sticking it out for another Gen and all, but man the Pokemon system could stand a bit of work.

qq more

I have explained why it wouldn't, too. It'd basically lose all the features that can only be brought by it being portable, and only add sharper graphics. Pokémon is designed to be on a portable device

It doesn't have to be exactly like the mainline handheld titles. It can still work.

See: Gamecube Pokemon games.

A online pokemon console game where you can meet other trainers would be so ideal. It doesnt have to follow the handheld structure of play 2 different type of games for different systems. They could make something new and worthwile if they wanted to.

Firestorm

It would also have to be subscription based and Junichi Masuda, head of the franchise, has spoken out against systems such as that, due to the bulk of Pokémon players being children so that's why it won't happen, not due to developer competency. Seriously, check the thread I referred to earlier, it explains these things.
Yes, I know who Masuda is thanks. I checked the thread you linked to earlier. Most of your posts are nonsense. The only relevant bit is that Masuda is against payment past the initial price. That didn't stop them from asking me to pay $3 or $4 or whatever the hell it was (my only eShop purchase) so I could access the Therian Formes.

Saying the game would have to be subscription based shows a severe misunderstanding of modern MMOs and especially of MMOs aimed at Pokemon's target audience. As Korean publishers found out over a decade ago, Free 2 Play is the way to go. Pokemon could rake in tons of money as an F2P MMO with paid cosmetic content that doesn't alter gameplay whatsoever. The 10% that's super into that and willing to pay for it can easily fund the game for the other 90% as has been shown countless times.

Such as? Anything a home console can do, the 3DS can do. However, the home consoles don't have the capability to have the portable features that the developers use to make Pokémon the cultural phenomenon that it has been for years

A second screen? The wii U control seems pretty damn cool for pokemon to me. The console pokemon games should also incorporate more features from the pokemon stadium games into the actual games. Home consoles also tend to have a better online infrastructure.

In general i think you're underestimating the advantage of developing for a HD console compared to developing on the 3DS. I'm more than happy for pokemon to remain on handhelds but a console version could be good as well.

Yes, I know who Masuda is thanks. I checked the thread you linked to earlier. Most of your posts are nonsense. The only relevant bit is that Masuda is against payment past the initial price. That didn't stop them from asking me to pay $3 or $4 or whatever the hell it was (my only eShop purchase) so I could access the Therian Formes.

Saying the game would have to be subscription based shows a severe misunderstanding of modern MMOs and especially of MMOs aimed at Pokemon's target audience. As Korean publishers found out over a decade ago, Free 2 Play is the way to go. Pokemon could rake in tons of money as an F2P MMO with paid cosmetic content that doesn't alter gameplay whatsoever. The 10% that's super into that and willing to pay for it can easily fund the game for the other 90% as has been shown countless times.

Agree with most of this. An MMO version of pokemon could definitely work but i don't think it's totally necessary and i'm not sure gamefreak is the company i would want to do it.

JoeM86

My posts certainly are not nonsense thank you very much. They are from a complete and total understanding of both the industry and the Pokémon franchise as a whole.

For one, Pokémon Dream Radar is technically a separate game, perhaps not a good one but it's separate, to the point that it's not even developed by GameFreak. It then gives gifts of Pokémon that include the Therian Formes. This is no different to requiring Ranger to get Manaphy. They're separate games, with gifts for the main games.

As for free to play, yes that's a way to go. However, Nintendo as a whole is against pure cosmetic content as DLC and thus wouldn't allow things such as that.

A second screen? The wii U control seems pretty damn cool for pokemon to me. The console pokemon games should also incorporate more features from the pokemon stadium games into the actual games. Home consoles also tend to have a better online infrastructure.

In general i think you're underestimating the advantage of developing for a HD console compared to developing on the 3DS. I'm more than happy for pokemon to remain on handhelds but a console version could be good as well.

The 3DS has a second screen... As for "better online infrastructure", as you'll see with the XY features, that's not entirely true. Below is a screenshot of the second screen on the 3DS when in the overworld

pss.jpg

On it, it lists all your friends as well as people you have passed by locally (and are still in range). From here, you can see what they're doing in realtime, such as if they're in a battle, and challenge them to battles and trades right there and then. How could that be improved?

It doesn't have to be exactly like the mainline handheld titles. It can still work.

See: Gamecube Pokemon games.

Yeah, but those games weren't well received, critically or by players. There would also be the complain that they aren't main series

---

Anyway, best to move this discussion to the appropriate topic

Firestorm

My posts certainly are not nonsense thank you very much. They are from a complete and total understanding of both the industry and the Pokémon franchise as a whole.

For one, Pokémon Dream Radar is technically a separate game, perhaps not a good one but it's separate, to the point that it's not even developed by GameFreak. It then gives gifts of Pokémon that include the Therian Formes. This is no different to requiring Ranger to get Manaphy. They're separate games, with gifts for the main games.

As for free to play, yes that's a way to go. However, Nintendo as a whole is against pure cosmetic content as DLC and thus wouldn't allow things such as that.
Nonsense might have been harsh. They were unrelated.

It is very different from Manaphy. Manaphy (or at the very least the egg as that's how I got mine) was tradeable. The Therian Formes and Mirror are not. Not to mention Manaphy was a gift from an actual standalone game. The Dream Radar is a minigame pretty much specifically created to catch Pokemon with special abilities to transfer over to the main game. You're stretching really hard here to justify your position.

It's time Nintendo as a whole started looking at ways of pleasing customers and increasing their profitability rather than holding onto ridiculous business models then.

The 3DS has a second screen... As for "better online infrastructure", as you'll see with the XY features, that's not entirely true. Below is a screenshot of the second screen on the 3DS when in the overworld

pss.jpg

On it, it lists all your friends as well as people you have passed by locally (and are still in range). From here, you can see what they're doing in realtime, such as if they're in a battle, and challenge them to battles and trades right there and then. How could that be improved?

because its a nintendo game, all those people you see will say
"I love [Fairies] I am from [France], I want to be a [Astronaut]"
Not exactly best battle chat.

We have had phone number and email filters in adult chats sites for 10 odd years, there is a better way.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
pss.jpg

No offense, but you have a pretty limited imagination then if you think that's the be all and end all of what they could possibly do. Seems like you think they can do no wrong and if they say something is an objectively great idea it is. Along the years Gamefreak has oftentimes teased a lot of multiplayer features that would be really cool online, but then implemented them in a way that severely limited their accessibility because for some reason the bulk of the functionality was local multiplayer only.

I'm talking about stuff like the Underground, the C Gear and stuff like that Battle Tower that would let you download...bots of real trainers to play against rather than just letting you play against the actual trainers. What was the point of that? A lot of the potentially cool stuff has really weird restrictions or a severe lack of customization. The Black and White City was another cool idea, but I don't live in a major world city and there's not really a big community close-by to meet up locally, so that's another feature that's cool in theory but unpractical outside of conventions or select major cities. Sure that's their design philosophy, but my opinion is that it's flawed and excludes way too many potential users. They've done so many weird things like obfuscating features like Mystery Gift by requiring you to input a weird ass password when talking to an inconspicuous NPC. What is the point of that? Sure it'll drive people to your site, because there is no way a casual player would stumble upon it otherwise. But why not include it from the bat, or activate it at some point in the story in an unmissable conversation?

Why can't I play 6v6 against strangers? Why aren't any of the Battle Frontier modes of play like Battle Factory available to play against strangers? Pokemon has the userbase to guarantee enough matches at any given time for a big amount of battling formats. There is so much untapped potential, and sometimes they'll introduce a cool feature in the third iteration of a game only to take it away in the next game. Gamefreak is far from flawless.

Top Bottom