• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo Make a 3D Pokemon Game for Wii U?

Bombadil

Banned
Poke'mon X and Y have 3D gameplay from what I saw in the Direct.

Why won't Nintendo just make a fully fledged open world Poke'mon for the console? I believe it would garner a great deal of attention and be a system seller.

Pokemon-X-and-Y.jpg

heroine_main.jpg

I think it would work very well.

What do you guys think? Wii U needs a megaton, right?

I've actually wanted this for a long time, but i know Nintendo won't do it.

Pokemon Colloseum and Pokemon XD are the closest thing we ever got to a Pokemon game on a console, that was sorta almost like a traditional Pokemon game. Seriously though, those 2 games on GCN really showed how cool a console Pokemon game could be.

Bombadil

Banned
They won't, because Pocket Monsters. An arena game may happen, though.

I don't follow your logic. If they absolutely wouldn't make one because the name is Pocket Monsters, then they would never have made any of the Coliseum games. But they did.

I would like a cross play Poke'mon game.

For example, you could play on the home console and save it. The save would go to the 3DS version and you could continue your journey there. And vice versa.

Mariolee

Gonna bump this just because I had a similar thread idea but sine this is fairly recent I'll just use this instead.

Recently, I got back into Pokemon Colosseum and I was floored that they didn't make another one of these for the Wii. Honestly, this could be the killer app Wii U is looking for, and it shouldn't be withheld just because of the notion that mainline Pokemon games should stay exclusively on handhelds when we've seen the contrary occur with Colosseum and XD (even though they're regarded as spin-offs).

One of the main points developers back then had a problem with was working capturing wild Pokemon within a 3D space, which they worked around by having the trainer "snag" Pokemon instead. But now that Gamefreak is already working within a 3D space with X and Y, it really should be THAT much easier to transition to a console format.

Another worry was that a console game would cannibalize the handheld sales, to which I say "poppycock". They could treat this console version as the "third" installment that we're used to outside of last gen of the X and Y games, Pokemon Z. Or they could make it another spin off with different mechanics again and make Pokemon U, but I really don't want that again.

However, what I do want to see is this:

and have battles play out like in Pokemon Battle Revolution except much closer to the targeted teaser released in 2005 rather than the poor Pokemon Stadium model rehash we got.

That is my dream.

I don't follow your logic. If they absolutely wouldn't make one because the name is Pocket Monsters, then they would never have made any of the Coliseum games. But they did.

I would like a cross play Poke'mon game.

For example, you could play on the home console and save it. The save would go to the 3DS version and you could continue your journey there. And vice versa.

That's their reasoning, not mine.

KLonso

I highly doubt that Nintendo will ever make a mainline Pokemon game off a handheld. I'm pretty sure the creator said that he believes a big part of Pokemon is actually going out and meeting with people, which isn't exactly feasible on a console.

But another game like the previous console Pokemon games is foreseeable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They should make a main serie entry pokémon game with NFC figures (pokélanders). But they probably wont.

wildfire

Banned
The Pokemon lead designer is on record for saying the game is meant for people to travel around with. A full fledged rpg at home won't happen until the WiiU 4k version comes out where the controller is a handheld device. All you will get for now are the arena versions.

Kade

Junichi Masuda's reasoning:

Junichi Masuda said:
I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. That’s also a match with the Pokemon concept.

qq more

The console spinoffs has gotten lame lately. Enough of the stupid PokePark and Rumble crap. Give us a new Stadium (not PBR), Snap and a cool 3D adventure game (kind of like the Gamecube ones). :(

zruben

Banned
I hope they do some kind of "pokemon stadium app" for the WiiU, that it's free to download (or at least that it's cheap).

I can't see how a console Pokemon game can give me any more enjoyment than a traditional handheld Pokemon game would. And to be honest, a mainline Pokemon game on a console just seems wrong to me

Maybe something like Colosseum or Stadium, but not something like the main games. Game Freak would probably never go for it.

I think that porting 3DS games to Wii U should be a common practice for Nintendo in the future. Having a 'Pokémon U' that's basically an up-rez version of X/Y where you can actually take your game from the home console to the handled, would only help both systems (Wii U much more than 3DS, of course).

Having said that, they need to make a Pokemon Snap, either on Wii U or 3DS would be fine (Better yet, on both!).

But I guess we're going to get a Stadium or Colosseum game instead of those.

Hell nah.

Mainline Pokemon belongs on handhelds and that's where it'll stay. Alternatively, Nintendo can supply the usual spinoff as they have since the N64 days, but a mainline Pokemon game? No.

Darryl

Banned
The Pokemon lead designer is on record for saying the game is meant for people to travel around with. A full fledged rpg at home won't happen until the WiiU 4k version comes out where the controller is a handheld device. All you will get for now are the arena versions.

their pokemon concept makes a lot of sense in japan. the other countries they make products for are much larger and their vision hasn't been realized since the GameBoy ages.

Hiltz

Game Freak in February 2011:

I don’t think so. I think the Pokemon core series is always going to be with handheld hardware, in the future as well.I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. That’s also a match with the Pokemon concept.

Maybe in the future, if we can think of a way to do something cool with that, then that’s the sort of environment we can work in, but right now, no plans are on the table.

Pokemon Company in January 2013:

I can’t speak to the specifics,but traditionally Game Freak has always loved the game to be on a portable device because of the communication, trading, and the experience of taking this adventure with you. That's why they've always prioritized a portable version of the game first. They've always liked what you can do in the real world with that... It comes down to what the creators want to do. Every time I've heard them talk about it, it's been about the portable experience.

Game Freak in June 2013:

We’re always very careful—we believe that Pokémon is best on a handheld. If we were to put it on virtual console, on the home console, what would you do with the Pokémon you caught? It would be kind of stuck, was one of the concerns we’ve had.

Mariolee

Game Freak in June 2013:
We’re always very careful—we believe that Pokémon is best on a handheld. If we were to put it on virtual console, on the home console, what would you do with the Pokémon you caught? It would be kind of stuck, was one of the concerns we’ve had.

Which is bullshit? What's stopping us from trading via Wifi? In fact, I play far more Pokemon at home on my NDS than outside of my house if only because if I'm outside of my house I'm usually doing something else. Very rarely, especially as an adult, do I got out and battle with my friends anymore. Of course, I'm sure kids do, but I think a console Pokemon wouldn't be too much of a detriment from what we have right now.

And if they want to match that experience of being there with the person almost locally, why can't they put that Wii U camera to work and have a sort of livechat during the battle? With two screens, I'm sure you can figure out somewhere to put it.

And if Gamefreak doesn't want to do it, give it to Genius Sonority again.

Mariolee

I can't see how a console Pokemon game can give me any more enjoyment than a traditional handheld Pokemon game would. And to be honest, a mainline Pokemon game on a console just seems wrong to me

A mainline Pokemon game wouldn't necessarily mean cutting out the handheld games. You want handheld games? You still get them! Let the console gamers have a little bit of fun too. A console Pokemon could offer bigger more expansive worlds and graphics that would be nothing short of amazing. Even if they went with a Nino Kuni style like this:

I would still be glad.

diffusionx

Gold Member
People have been wondering this for almost 15 years, across what is now four different pieces of hardware. It's not gonna happen. Game Freak is doing just fine with the handheld focus.

Flamfas

I'd love another Coliseum/XD that deviates from the 8 Gym Leaders -> Elite 4 monotony.

Pokemon Snap also needs to make a comeback.

Just whatever they do, NO BATTLE REVOLUTION. The entire game easily could have been a side mode for a new Coliseum/XD type game.

Haines

Banned
They claimed they wont do Snap 2 bc taking pictures has lost novelty now that everyone has a camera on their phone.

aquavelva

Which is bullshit? What's stopping us from trading via Wifi? In fact, I play far more Pokemon at home on my NDS than outside of my house if only because if I'm outside of my house I'm usually doing something else. Very rarely, especially as an adult, do I got out and battle with my friends anymore. Of course, I'm sure kids do, but I think a console Pokemon wouldn't be too much of a detriment from what we have right now.

And if they want to match that experience of being there with the person almost locally, why can't they put that Wii U camera to work and have a sort of livechat during the battle? With two screens, I'm sure you can figure out somewhere to put it.

And if Gamefreak doesn't want to do it, give it to Genius Sonority again.

tumblr_mgdcisTWA61rwnp75o1_500.jpg

I think Nintendo consider this as their super secret ultimate weapon card to play as the last resort before bankrupty when everything failed. So, it's no near to come, people.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That would imply GameFreak would have to get out of their safe zone and they swim in dosh way too much to care.

They should remake the original and make it online, and on consoles.

That way, it doesn't cannibalize the handheld game as the primary Pokemon game, but it maximizes the potential for sales and gameplay on the console. OG Pokemon, Fire Red/Leaf Green style, running in HD on a console? Online trading and battles? Yes.

Orayn

I don't think Pokemon would translate to consoles very well without seriously reworking the basic gameplay. Compared to the portable versions, you'd spend a lot more time developing a much more expensive game that would sell fewer copies and make less money.

Why bother? Internet cred?

Toparaman

Banned
GameFreak would never do it, but you know who totally would? Level-5.

I would adore a full-3D remake of Red/Blue for Wii U.

I think the only way I would play a new Pokemon game at this point is if it transitioned to full 3D models and full animation. If it was on a console, that's fine too.

majorscud

I just called Ni No Kuni my console Pokemon with crappier combat and better story. I would like a Pokemon console title, but I think it won't happen unless Nintendo becomes truly desperate.

Orayn

I think the only way I would play a new Pokemon game at this point is if it transitioned to full 3D models and full animation. If it was on a console, that's fine too.

X and Y are using full 3D models and animation, though the game is still top-down most of the time and the style of the battles is somehwere between previous games and Stadium/Coliseum/Battle Revolution.

Yado

This is nowhere near the top 10 things I'd like Nintendo to do with the Wii U. Pokemon is fine on handhelds.

Top Bottom