• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo Make a 3D Pokemon Game for Wii U?

Bombadil

Banned
It may not be practical for some people,but you forget the core target audience for Pokémon games: Kids. Most kids, especially in Japan, don't just sit at home online. They interact with their friends to play games and THIS is what they're pushing. It's illogical to just scrap that to put it on a home console, cutting out a good portion of why kids actually play the game

I agree, and thankfully the models are used as a standard for Pokémon games now (the same models used for spin-offs, arcade games etc.). The Noivern model you posted is of the same quality as the redone models for Pokédex 3D Pro so it shouldn't be too hard. Minimal effort in the model department. All they've done for XY is add a special texture on it to make it akin to Sugimori's style

No one is asking them to scrap portable Pokemon.

Those games weren't mainline.

They were spinoffs. Why compare them to mainline Pokemon games?

Spinoffs in what way? Games like Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, etc are spinoffs. Colosseum and XD had the same type of gameplay the handheld games have, with a couple added gimmicks.

Are you saying you just want to play Pokemon X and Y on your TV?

Bombadil

Banned
No, but by putting a main series game on the home console, it ceases to be the developer's vision of the franchise. It loses many of the important aspects of the franchise.

No it doesn't. It loses one aspect. It doesn't really lose it, either. You can still interact with people online.

The developer is wrong in this case. His vision is shortsighted because he focuses on Japan.

Spinoffs in what way? Games like Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, etc are spinoffs. Colosseum and XD had the same type of gameplay the handheld games have, with a couple added gimmicks.

Isn't Colosseum just a game where you battle Pokemon in an arena?

JoeM86

They deviated from the main series in tone, story etc. They weren't developed by GameFreak. Even the official site puts them in the spin-off category

Official list of main, what they call "Pocket Monsters Series" games: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game-series/title/ (B2W2 is listed on the home page)
Official list of what they call "Other" games: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game-other/title/ (Rumble U, Dungeon, Dream Radar and Pokédex 3D Pro are listed on the home page)

Personally, I separate them into three categories

Main Series (The games by GameFreak)
Side-Series (Games not made by GameFreak but have connectivity to and have mechanics based on the Main Series such as Stadium, Colosseum, Pokédex 3D Pro etc.)
Spin-Offs (Says it all)

No it doesn't. It loses one aspect. It doesn't really lose it, either. You can still interact with people online.

The developer is wrong in this case. His vision is shortsighted because he focuses on Japan.

It loses the most major aspect of the games in the view of the developer, and based on sales of the game, they're right.

Darryl

Banned
What local aspects are you referring to?

its in the name with the pocket monsters. basically gamefreak has "the vision" where they want to restrict the game pokemon into being only a social phenomenon. they want you to need to meet up with people in real life and need to engage with each other (viral market) to further your progress. they could cave and put that experience onto home consoles and it'd probably sell a lot for a short while but then it would harm their vision and when pokemon becomes a private thing they'll lose out on that viral money.

however trying to maintain the series as a social phenomenon is also very risky and lowers the franchise potential, so they definitely need a pokeman console game too. it just can't risk cannibalizing their current handheld games, so a straight up port will probably not work. i think that over time, a straight port to home consoles may become a smarter idea if people do decide to move away from dedicated handhelds, but even with the kinda low 3DS numbers i doubt they've hit that area yet.

They deviated from the main series in tone, story etc. They weren't developed by GameFreak. Even the official site puts them in the spin-off category

Official list of main, what they call "Pocket Monsters Series" games: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game-series/title/ (B2W2 is listed on the home page)
Official list of what they call "Other" games: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game-other/title/ (Rumble U, Dungeon, Dream Radar and Pokédex 3D Pro are listed on the home page)

Personally, I separate them into three categories

Main Series (The games by GameFreak)
Side-Series (Games not made by GameFreak but have connectivity to and have mechanics based on the Main Series such as Stadium, Colosseum, Pokédex 3D Pro etc.)
Spin-Offs (Says it all)

It loses the most major aspect of the games in the view of the developer, and based on sales of the game, they're right.

Right, I agree with this. I just took issue with Bombadil's classification of Colosseum and XD as "spinoffs" when they aren't.

Isn't Colosseum just a game where you battle Pokemon in an arena?

Colosseum and XD are full fledged RPGs (though with differences than the mainline handheld games)

JoeM86

Right, I agree with this. I just took issue with Bombadil's classification of Colosseum and XD as "spinoffs" when they aren't.

Colosseum and XD are full fledged RPGs (though with differences than the mainline handheld games)

The reason I don't consider Colosseum and XD as main games, other than them not being by GameFreak, is the fact that they're so incredibly linear and are so unbelievably narrow in Pokémon choices

its in the name with the pocket monsters. basically gamefreak has "the vision" where they want to restrict the game pokemon into being only a social phenomenon. they want you to need to meet up with people in real life and need to engage with each other (viral market) to further your progress. they could cave and put that experience onto home consoles and it'd probably sell a lot for a short while but then it would harm their vision and when pokemon becomes a private thing they'll lose out on that viral money.

however trying to maintain the series as a social phenomenon is also very risky and lowers the franchise potential, so they definitely need a pokeman console game too. it just can't risk cannibalizing their current handheld games, so a straight up port will probably not work. i think that over time, a straight port to home consoles may become a smarter idea if people do decide to move away from dedicated handhelds, but even with the kinda low 3DS numbers i doubt they've hit that area yet.

3DS numbers are not low...33 million in 2 years is fantastic

Espada

I agree, and thankfully the models are used as a standard for Pokémon games now (the same models used for spin-offs, arcade games etc.). The Noivern model you posted is of the same quality as the redone models for Pokédex 3D Pro so it shouldn't be too hard. Minimal effort in the model department. All they've done for XY is add a special texture on it to make it akin to Sugimori's style

That is excellent news. Standardizing models like that will likely mean a quicker rollout of these games, and a consistent look to the pokemon. I just hope they don't screw up the Wii U game like they did with PBR. Sweet lord was that game riddled with problems.

That would make sense. Just compare the SSB 3DS to the Wii U version. The 3DS character models have the black outline while the Wii U version has the cleaner looking traditional 3D models. The one you posted almost looks cel shaded.

Yeah, I really like that clean cartoon-like look they have on Noivern in that image. It really suits pokemon creature design and the series' aesthetic.

also

Banned
Because Nintendo is a console manufacturer in desperate need of new hit titles for their console? What you're saying only makes sense for a third party with no interest in the console's success.

Right, but the resources needed to recreate a mainline Pokemon game on Wii U would be better spent elsewhere. There are simply some games that work better on consoles and some that work better on portables.

Rising_Hei

Nintendo don't have the guts to make a project as big and as awesome as this.

I dreamed with a game like this since i was a teen, but it never happened and it hardly will

Darryl

Banned
3DS numbers are not low...33 million in 2 years is fantastic

i just mean in NA and only in a situation where the 3DS doesn't turn around this year after Zelda/DK/AC/Pokemon/price drop and continues to get worse. i could see the series maintaining the handheld nature over in Japan but i think it'd be more at risk over here where we have a lot of territory. they may need the combined total of nintendo handheld + consoles in order to keep even a small fraction of that vision of trading and battling alive.

JoeM86

i just mean in NA and only in a situation where the 3DS doesn't turn around this year after Zelda/DK/AC/Pokemon/price drop and continues to get worse. i could see the series maintaining the handheld nature over in Japan but i think it'd be more at risk over here where we have a lot of territory. they may need the combined total of nintendo handheld + consoles in order to keep even a small fraction of that vision of trading and battling alive.

The 3DS isn't doing badly in the west, either. It's doing good. Not amazing, but good. When Pokémon comes out, then it'll do amazing. It also doesn't need another price drop.

Look at what Animal Crossing did. It boosted 3DS sales a fair bit in NA

ezodagrom

In my opinion, ideally the traditionally 3rd game (like Emerald and Platinum) would be a good fit for a home console version of the series, a slightly enhanced version of the portable games released like a year or more later.
The portable games, with those being released first, they would keep their importance, while the enhanced console version would be nice for the home console users to not be left out, I think.
This, of course, is never going to happen though.

Sendou

In my opinion, ideally the traditionally 3rd game (like Emerald and Platinum) would be a good fit for a home console version of the series, a slightly enhanced version of the portable games released like a year or more later.
The portable games, with those being released first, they would keep their importance, while the enhanced console version would be nice for the home console users to not be left out, I think.
This, of course, is never going to happen though.

And because of a good reason.

udivision

JoeM86 is right, the main target audience is kids/newcomers, and that will be weighed with most of GF's decisions. On the other hand, it's a 15 year old franchise that started off as a fad so you have this bubbling mass of fans who've been their since the beginning but are now seeing the franchise for how stale and safe it's become. A "big budget" Pokemon game for a console isn't really a smart thing for GF to do, something we should expect them to do, or even necessarily the logical "next step" for the franchise. It's more of a desperate cry of older or now disinterested fans for the franchise to make itself "exciting" again.

JoeM86

JoeM86 is right, the main target audience is kids/newcomers, and that will be weighed with most of GF's decisions. On the other hand, it's a 15 year old franchise that started off as a fad so you have this bubbling mass of fans who've been their since the beginning but are now seeing the franchise for how stale and safe it's become. A "big budget" Pokemon game for a console isn't really a smart thing for GF to do, something we should expect them to do, or even necessarily the logical "next step" for the franchise. It's more of a desperate cry of older or now disinterested fans for the franchise to make itself "exciting" again.

Many people have been clamouring for a full 3D RPG as their desire for the home console game. We now have that. In running of my site, I have seen countless new people come in and say they went off Pokémon, but are now back in now that it has gone totally 3D.

horde4.jpg
noivern2.jpg
throw.jpg
malelumiose2.jpg

The battle animations are brilliant, too

tumblr_moumocTuxv1r78moro1_r2_250.gif

It's bringing people back, they're changing a lot in it, too. It's no longer "safe"

Sendou

To be honest making anything other than what people consider a "safe" Pokemon as the next mainline entry in the series would be a good way to kill a franchise. What you call "safe" might actually be defining for the series for some.

Bombadil

Banned
What if there was more to the franchise than just Pokemon?

What if they added another dimension?

I always liked Team Rocket because I felt they had the potential to be a truly evil syndicate rather than a group of clumsy characters.

Are there any main bad guys in the newer Pokemon games? Do Pokemon still only faint or do they die now?

Another problem I have with the games is that all anyone really talks about is Pokemon. Don't people haven anything better to do? There needs to be more depth to the series. Have other motives and other things to discover and explore.

I'm waiting for this since the N64. Nintendo portables are no longer dependent over the Pokémon franchise to become succesful and current tech allow everything portable machines could do, which was Nintendo's excuse to keep Pokémon a portable only franchise.

Battle between players? Welcome to the online network, Nintendo!
Exchange of Pokémon? Account system can easily do that.

This "portable only" talk had somewhat of a sense before online network wasn't avaliable for home console, now with the current tech Nintendo no longer hold a significant excuse to avoid a 3D Pokémon for their home consoles.

Sendou

What if there was more to the franchise than just Pokemon?

What if they added another dimension?

I always liked Team Rocket because I felt they had the potential to be a truly evil syndicate rather than a group of clumsy characters.

Are there any main bad guys in the newer Pokemon games? Do Pokemon still only faint or do they die now?

Another problem I have with the games is that all anyone really talks about is Pokemon. Don't people haven anything better to do? There needs to be more depth to the series. Have other motives and other things to discover and explore.

Well I don't know. I'd do that too if Pokemon were real :/

udivision

Many people have been clamouring for a full 3D RPG as their desire for the home console game. We now have that. In running of my site, I have seen countless new people come in and say they went off Pokémon, but are now back in now that it has gone totally 3D.

It's bringing people back, they're changing a lot in it, too. It's no longer "safe"

Let's not go that far. Mainline Pokemon is nothing if not safe.

Because of Stadium in 2000, Snap, and even the Gamecube RPGs, to an extent we've already seen how 3D Pokemon could/should look. Even Gen 4/5 have shown us a glimpse of this, although at a smaller scale. For that reason, the leap that gen 6 could've been has been somewhat mitigated by a looming notion that mainline Pokemon is finally catching up to the N64.

JoeM86

I'm waiting for this since the N64. Nintendo portables are no longer dependent over the Pokémon franchise to become succesful and current tech allow everything portable machines could do, which was Nintendo's excuse to keep Pokémon a portable only franchise.

Battle between players? Welcome to the online network, Nintendo!
Exchange of Pokémon? Account system can easily do that.

This "portable only" talk had somewhat of a sense before online network wasn't avaliable for home console, now with the current tech Nintendo no longer hold a significant excuse to avoid a 3D Pokémon for their home consoles.

Online battles in Pokémon have existed since 2006 on portable devices, as have online trades.

It's portable for the social aspects. Again, people seem to fail to realise just how big the social aspect is, especially in Japan.

Let's not go that far. Mainline Pokemon is nothing if not safe.

Because of Stadium in 2000, Snap, and even the Gamecube RPGs, to an extent we've already seen how 3D Pokemon could/should look. Even Gen 4/5 have shown us a glimpse of this, although at a smaller scale. For that reason, the leap that gen 6 could've been has been somewhat mitigated by a looming notion that mainline Pokemon is finally catching up to the N64.

Be fair, this is beyond what the N64 was capable of

Soul Beat

The only Pokemon games that'll probably hit the WiiU are a Stadium-like game (Which will be greatly appreciated), Rumble U, and maybe an Explorer or Ranger game.

I still want a Pokemon Snap though...

The battle animations are brilliant, too

tumblr_moumocTuxv1r78moro1_r2_250.gif

This is the first time I've seen this. GLORIOUS!

Bombadil

Banned
Well I don't know. I'd do that too if Pokemon were real :/

No, I think you'd get over it. Money still makes the world go round in Pokemon.

What if you could get a job in the game?

Obviously, we need to make sure it doesn't become too much like Skyrim, but it would be nice to incorporate more modern RPG elements into the series.

It's portable for the social aspects. Again, people seem to fail to realise just how big the social aspect is, especially in Japan.

Is Gamefreak trying to get more people in Japan to socialize so they'll procreate?

GameFreak are just now heading into full 3D development and you already want them to launch full throttle into HD home console development? We may eventually get a mainline Pokemon title on a home console, but I don't see that happening until Nintendo heavily integrates their handhelds with their home consoles (if they do at all).

Are there any main bad guys in the newer Pokemon games?

Yes, in every single game with different objectives in each.

Do Pokemon still only faint or do they die now?

Still faint. Do you seriously want Pokemon to die in battle?

It's a game for kids and the entire game is based around Pokemon. What do you want NPCs to say instead?

What if you could get a job in the game?

Obviously, we need to make sure it doesn't become too much like Skyrim, but it would be nice to incorporate more modern RPG elements into the series.

It's no longer Pokemon then. You want Pokemon to become something it isn't.

Bombadil

Banned
Yes, in every single game with different objectives in each.

Still faint. Do you seriously want Pokemon to die in battle?

Yes. If I use fire storm against a Pidgey, I want that bird to burn.

It's a game for kids and the entire game is based around Pokemon. What do you want NPCs to say instead?

Other things.

It's no longer Pokemon then. You want Pokemon to become something it isn't.

I want Pokemon to expand its gameplay elements and story.

Has Nintendo ever officially made a statement concerning their reluctance to do a Pokemon rpg or mmo on a home console? Or is their silence meant to be their answer?

Has Nintendo ever officially made a statement concerning their reluctance to do a Pokemon rpg or mmo on a home console? Or is their silence meant to be their answer?
Why on Earth would they need a statement? Their strategy is completely logical and self-explanatory, no matter how much you want an MMO or whatever.

backlot

Are there any main bad guys in the newer Pokemon games? Do Pokemon still only faint or do they die?
Of course, there is a bad guy in other games.

For the second question, are you asking if you can kill other people's Pokemon? You can't and it would be really weird if you could.

Why on Earth would they need a statement? Their strategy is completely logical and self-explanatory, no matter how much you want an MMO or whatever.

Let me rephrase. Given how popular this sentiment seems to be. Has a journalist ever directly questioned Nintendo about this, prompting a response.

Let me rephrase. Given how popular this sentiment seems to be. Has a journalist ever directly questioned Nintendo about this, prompting a response.

They've made their feelings for Pokémon best suiting handheld portable play and local multiplayer repeatedly.

Even beyond that, it's Game Freak's baby, and they have absolutely no applicable experience for big console development.

MrMephistoX

It's made perfect sense for nearly 15 years when they released Pokemon Stadium on N64: I have no hope until Nintendo goes handheld TV console hybrid.

Top Bottom