• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo Make a 3D Pokemon Game for Wii U?

stktt

Banned
I don't think Pokemon would translate to consoles very well without seriously reworking the basic gameplay. Compared to the portable versions, you'd spend a lot more time developing a much more expensive game that would sell fewer copies and make less money.

Why bother? Internet cred?

It would be cool and stuff.

Ezalc

Unfortunately a mainline adventure on a console is something that the designers seem to be completely against. I however would love for them to make another Stadium or Colosseum like game on the Wii U. As long as they bring back Mirror B. and his Ludicolos. Maybe throw in a Maractus as well.

Hex

Banned
I would not like to see a Pokemon game in the normal sense, but a game where I can dump Pokemon from my computer from my 3DS and perhaps battle others online like and have other activities that take advantage of the Wii U network features other abilities and then load them back into my 3DS at will would be fantastic, something that ties into the Dreamworld that they have online for the Black/White series perhaps but new for the new series.

Village

is it called pocket monsters because of it originally being a portable title? i thought it had to do with pokemon going into pokeballs to carry around.

That is exactly why.( I think)

It was originally going to be called capsule monsters because the plan was to carry the pokemans around in capsules.

People just use that excuse when they do not have a solid argument against the console thing.

Pocket Monsters just happened to work for the whole hand held thing.

On topic, Pokemon Colosseum Wii U?

Down.

Darryl

Banned
I don't think Pokemon would translate to consoles very well without seriously reworking the basic gameplay. Compared to the portable versions, you'd spend a lot more time developing a much more expensive game that would sell fewer copies and make less money.

Why bother? Internet cred?

coke makes a lot of money sellin coke. why try to make more varieties of beverages? maybe there are some people who may be interested in coke but don't think about trying it, dark beverages aren't really their thing. so they make sprite and put it right next to coke. now people try sprite, now it is less of a step for a new customer to try coke. now they move coke like never before. they move more sprite, too. lots of room in the pokemon world for making a series that could bridge new people into the game who may be intimidated by the franchises long history or who may just think pokemon isn't their thing.

the pokemon series is successful and old. they need to translate some of that success into making a wider variety of products for different audiences. in the end, the end goal of more pokemon games could just be to sell more coke.

btkadams

That is exactly why.( I think)

It was originally going to be called capsule monsters because the plan was to carry the pokemans around in capsules.

People just use that excuse when they do not have a solid argument against the console thing.

Pocket Monsters just happened to work for the whole hand held thing.

it wouldn't even surprise me if the people inside the game's universe called them pokemon because of it being a portable video game. there are worse universe/continuity issues in these games haha.

Serandur

I've always wanted to see this happen. I don't even like Nintendo systems, but it would be quite the incentive to purchase one, well, assuming the hardware isn't so weak I can't emulate it on my existing PC. <sigh> Ni No Kuni made me wish for this more, recently. Pokemon is just too stale and there is so much potential wasted by playing the safe route and sticking with woefully underpowered handheld consoles.

Cheebo

Banned
I think the only way I would play a new Pokemon game at this point is if it transitioned to full 3D models and full animation. If it was on a console, that's fine too.

Have you been living under a rock? Pokémon X/Y is full 3d models and full 3d animation.

I mean it is in the OP even!

RedSwirl

Gameplay-wise what would Pokemon gain from being on a console? I'm not sure there's much they could do with a console game that they can't already accomplish on a handheld other than better graphics, which would be more expensive. They already get massive sale from the 3DS version -- it's the most economically sound platform for the game. The only benefit I see to a fully Pokemon RPG on a console is that it would sell Wii Us.

Plus, the way the worlds are designed would have to be completely different. I don't even think Pokemon X and Y are going to be full 3D games. From the gameplay trailers it looks like they're still going to be top-down games that play out in environments just as small as they usually are. A fully 3D world for Pokemon would probably have to be designed more like Ni No Kuni or a Dragon Quest game.

The most I see happening is another Colosseum or Stadium game, which definitely needs to happen.

Have you been living under a rock? Pokémon X/Y is full 3d models and full 3d animation.

It's full 3D models and animation, but the actual world and gameplay are still top-down from what I've seen in the trailers.

Serandur

Gameplay-wise what would Pokemon gain from being on a console? I'm not sure there's much they could do with a console game that they can't already accomplish on a handheld other than better graphics, which would be more expensive. They already get massive sale from the 3DS version -- it's the most economically sound platform for the game. The only benefit I see to a fully Pokemon RPG on a console is that it would sell Wii Us.

Plus, the way the worlds are designed would have to be completely different. I don't even think Pokemon X and Y are going to be full 3D games. From the gameplay trailers it looks like they're still going to be top-down games that play out in environments just as small as they usually are. A fully 3D world for Pokemon would probably have to be designed more like Ni No Kuni or a Dragon Quest game.

The most I see happening is another Colosseum or Stadium game, which definitely needs to happen.

It's full 3D models and animation, but the actual world and gameplay are still top-down from what I've seen in the trailers.

What a shame. How come the Colloseum/XD games came to be, anyway, if it's such a risky venture? They are limited, but similar enough to the main pokemon games that I personally enjoyed them just as much, if not more, than the handheld ones. Would a full-sized pokemon game on par with, say, Ni No Kuni in world design on a home console be financially unfeasible or it simply a matter of 3DS games being more profitable?

Have you not seen Pokemon X/Y?

I haven't seen any battle footage, so I figured Nintendo was being lazy like Atlus with SMT4 and using full 3D for world exploration while sticking to looped, barely animated sprites for battles. I'll look into some gameplay footage when I get home from work.

I just really want to see the Pokemon actually interacting and hitting each other instead of the 2D battles in Black and White or the clunky "show one Pokemon attack, then show the other Pokemon react to it without ever showing them both on screen" style from Coliseum. Is that in the game?

Darryl

Banned
I haven't seen any battle footage, so I figured Nintendo was being lazy like Atlus with SMT4 and using full 3D for world exploration while sticking to looped, barely animated sprites for battles. I'll look into some gameplay footage when I get home from work.

I just really want to see the Pokemon actually interacting and hitting each other instead of the 2D battles in Black and White or the clunky "show one Pokemon attack, then show the other Pokemon react to it without ever showing them both on screen" style from Coliseum. Is that in the game?

there is no game in existence that is that ambitious

Mariolee

GAFfers focusing on their own wishes for Pokémon while neglecting a. the target audience and b. Japan.

Again.

This is straight from Wiki concerning Pokemon Colosseum, so take it with a grain of salt but they do have their sources.

Three weeks before its release, pre-orders of Pokémon Colosseum made it the best-selling game on Amazon.com.[1] In the game's first week of release in the United Kingdom, it boosted the GameCube's market share from 16% to 32%.[35] It was the best-selling GameCube game of May 2004, and fourteenth among all consoles.[36] In 2005, the game was certified as part of Nintendo's Player's Choice line in North America, representing at least 250,000 copies sold.[17] As of 2007, the game has sold over 1.15 million copies in the United States[37] and 656,270 in Japan.[38] It is the best-selling RPG for the GameCube.[39]

Are you trying to imply that a Pokemon console game wouldn't be a massive success? Because it most likely would.

there is no game in existence that is that ambitious

Pokemon Battle Revolution did that, albeit not as much as you would hope, but they did that.

RedSwirl

What a shame. How come the Colloseum/XD games came to be, anyway, if it's such a risky venture? They are limited, but similar enough to the main pokemon games that I personally enjoyed them just as much, if not more, than the handheld ones. Would a full-sized pokemon game on par with, say, Ni No Kuni in world design on a home console be financially unfeasible or it simply a matter of 3DS games being more profitable?

I still don't see how Colosseum and XD are more enjoyable just by nature of being on a console and having better graphics to be honest. I just kept thinking about how limited and shallow the gameplay in Colosseum felt when I tried it. Didn't even finish the game. And as I remember, Colosseum was still mostly an isometric game. I just don't see what a full 3D camera would add unless they were trying to make a Pokemon with spectacle on par with Final Fantasy XV or something, and I've never seen Nintendo go for that kind of flash in any of their games.

As for why, I imagine handheld Pokemon games are just more profitable. They probably cost a lot less to make but still sell a ton of copies.

A home console entry on the main series would set the bar too high.

People would get used to the advanced graphics for a main Pokemon game and when the next handheld version comes out, people would look at it and "meh".

That would create a new generation of graphic whores.

The only way I don't see this happening is by doing a game on home consoles on par with handhelds, like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But, for a Pokemon game, I don't see the point of doing something like this...

Just my opinion on the matter.

Darryl

Banned
Pokemon Battle Revolution did that, albeit not as much as you would hope, but they did that.

i'm not quite sure i'd consider that interacting with each other. it's just a slight step up from pokemon stadium. but yea, fair point, they were on the same screen as each other at the same time. pokemon x/y might do that as well, i'm not sure

ctothej

Given the state of the Wii U, I have a feeling they have a full fledged Pokemon game in development. They need a system seller, and that right there is a system seller.

Serandur

I still don't see how Colosseum and XD are more enjoyable just by nature of being on a console and having better graphics to be honest. I just kept thinking about how limited and shallow the gameplay in Colosseum felt when I tried it. Didn't even finish the game. And as I remember, Colosseum was still mostly an isometric game. I just don't see what a full 3D camera would add unless they were trying to make a Pokemon with spectacle on par with Final Fantasy XV or something, and I've never seen Nintendo go for that kind of flash in any of their games.

As for why, I imagine handheld Pokemon games are just more profitable. They probably cost a lot less to make but still sell a ton of copies.

It's probably just 2D pokemon fatigue on my part. :p Honestly, I just thought it was nice, after a decade of playing pokemon, seeing the things actually animated at a decent visual quality, but with similar gameplay. I agree it was pretty limited, but meh, not like the main series has done much different in pretty much... ever. :/

It would be smart on Nintendo's part to secure a full 3D pokemon game for the WiiU, though, in my opinion. The WiiU isn't even remotely on my "to think about" list, right now, but get a full 3D pokemon game with a world of Dragon Quest VIII or Ni No Kuni scope (decent story couldn't hurt for once) and it's an automatic WiiU seller for me.

Mariolee

A home console entry on the main series would set the bar too high.

People would get used to the advanced graphics for a main Pokemon game and when the next handheld version comes out, people would look at it and "meh".

That would create a new generation of graphic whores.

The only way I don't see this happening is by doing a game on home consoles on par with handhelds, like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But, for a Pokemon game, I don't see the point of doing something like this...

Just my opinion on the matter.

So your argument is in a nutshell that it would be almost "too good"?

Spiderduff

Did anyone not see the Dorkly comic? The world would near end...

I hope at least we get some kind of full fledge battle system on the Wii U ala Pokemon Stadium.

Super HD fights would be awesome...

Jacobi

Banned
They'll never do it, they don't want to take sales away from the handheld games...

It might have saved the Gamecube though, but hey, it's Nintendo logic....

Mariolee

The jump to a console could be purely graphical, and we could end up with something like PBR's original teaser which would already be amazing (destructible environments, high end HD graphics, an even more dynamic camera, possibly showing some battle damage, etc.) but they could also add even more new mechanics with how much more power they'd be working with. Just because you guys can't "think" of anything new they could do doesn't mean they wouldn't have anything.

With a fully 3D camera they could have more intricate puzzles, with the console's horsepower we could have full on tourney modes and bigger regions, "Pokemon TV" like what they do with Uncharted and other games. There's so much more they could do with the franchise.

They should but I think they want to keep it strictly to handhelds...but I'd love for it to happen. Imagine trying to take on something as mighty as a Tyranitar or as huge as a Wailord?

So your argument is in a nutshell that it would be almost "too good"?

Something like this, yeah... if the series wasn't so important to the handheld as it is, I would probably think otherwise.

I think it would cannibalize the handheld versions or create a general lack of interest on the handheld version.

It's the natural thing: when we taste something better, the bar is raised to match that thing. And if you eats anything that don't taste as good, you will notice and your interest will be lesser.

But I'm totally in favor of the return of Pokemon Stadium, with full integration with Pokémon X and Y. Maybe even with the possibility of playing it on Wii U like it was done with Transfer Pak on N64.

I really miss the days of Pokemon Stadium. Just imagine that game with all the online possibilities and full integration with 3DS X and Y.

Man, that would kick ass.

Of course I may be thinking small. It's just an opinion, :)

I doubt I'd play a console version nearly as much as I do the handheld games. It's so perfect to play while watching tv or having something in the background.

The only thing that it could improve would be the graphics, but who cares about that in a Pokemon game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
No.

They're primarily "Pocket" monsters. They belong in your pocket.

Is that a monster in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

yeah the whole "pocket/mobile" argument is bs. maybe back in the day it was a good reason, but the internet and online makes any interactive/coop/mp features possible on home consoles now.

I just want WiiU to crash so hard that they are forced to do that...but i know they never will.

man the wasted potential. its the one game that would make me buy whatever system it was on.

if only someone would produce a 3d pkmn clone for home consoles :( - NNK was close, but there was soo much lacking from that game, namely in the monsters and battling.

i mean one day itll have to get to it.. even if they stay on handhelds.... they cna only keep restricting the gameplay and technical aspects for so long. it mihgt be the DS4 or DS5 but sooner or later nintendo will put out a handheld with the power of a wii u etc....

Raiden

Banned
All i want is a massive Pokemon MMO that includes every single pokemon. I think i'm saying this for over 10 years now i dont know.

tarheel91

I think they'd have to use sufficiently different the core mechanics from the handheld version to ensure that

1) Handheld sales weren't negatively impacted

2) Gamers were provided with a reason to want both the handheld and console version.

They could do this through different battle mechanics (something more like SSB, a "real time" MMORPG, or a real time sRPG), different objectives (plot focused vs. gym leader and elite four focused), etc.

Whether or not they should depends on what they come up with.

fader

tumblr_m3xkqt03Eu1rv51n9o1_250.gif

Besides, it defeats the unique purpose of Pokemon. I know everyone wants an Adventure Pokemon on the console, I do to... But I'm fine with it being unique to handhelds because that was the design choice. I'm fine with the colosium/stadium games though.

Bombadil

Banned
The Pokémon franchise is like a crack dealer

Doing big in the streets, doing nothing at home

9/10.

Nintendo's reasons for not making a console version indicate how outdated they are.

I like that they want people to get together physically but they're really hampering their business by excluding online features from their console titles and not having console versions of their biggest games.

They need to stop treating the Wii U as a stepchild. The 3DS is so successful in comparison.

Magnus

Was the GC game actually a full-fledged single player RPG? Damn. Had no idea!

Thought it was a stripped down Stadium.

What was Battle Revolution's structure for that matter?

Sandfox

This is straight from Wiki concerning Pokemon Colosseum, so take it with a grain of salt but they do have their sources.

Are you trying to imply that a Pokemon console game wouldn't be a massive success? Because it most likely would.

A handheld pokemon game would sell more than 10x that and the main reason they probably didn't make a third Colosseum game is because XD sold like half what the original did.

9/10.

Nintendo's reasons for not making a console version indicate how outdated they are.

I like that they want people to get together physically but they're really hampering their business by excluding online features from their console titles and not having console versions of their biggest games.

They need to stop treating the Wii U as a stepchild. The 3DS is so successful in comparison.

This post lost me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on whether or not they like money. Do they?

coke makes a lot of money sellin coke. why try to make more varieties of beverages? maybe there are some people who may be interested in coke but don't think about trying it, dark beverages aren't really their thing. so they make sprite and put it right next to coke. now people try sprite, now it is less of a step for a new customer to try coke. now they move coke like never before. they move more sprite, too. lots of room in the pokemon world for making a series that could bridge new people into the game who may be intimidated by the franchises long history or who may just think pokemon isn't their thing.

the pokemon series is successful and old. they need to translate some of that success into making a wider variety of products for different audiences. in the end, the end goal of more pokemon games could just be to sell more coke.
Pokemon does see a variety of highly successful ancillary product, from anime to movies to merchandising to spinoff games.

It's a highly coordinated, non-risky strategy. Why would they risk it on a big console game? Would it bring in a sufficient audience to replace the 15 million customers who buy their games every two years?

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire sold 15 million. They were almost certainly vastly, vastly more profitable.

KNT-Zero

Well, the whole definition of Pokemon is Pocket Monsters. As much as the WiiU Gamepad might be "portable", I don't think Nintendo would even think about nudging to that direction.
Portable Pokemon games have proven to be successful while the big versions not, and I think that's done on purpose...

Sandfox

Seemed pretty clear.

What's the problem?

To me it seems like you are pretty much saying that Nintendo should have been treating the 3DS like the Vita so that the Wii U could have bigger titles and by not doing it so they are outdated.

Well, the whole definition of Pokemon is Pocket Monsters. As much as the WiiU Gamepad might be "portable", I don't think Nintendo would even think about nudging to that direction.
Portable Pokemon games have proven to be successful while the big versions not, and I think that's done on purpose...

They have other Pokemon-centric studios to make a game like that.

Bombadil

Banned
To me it seems like you are pretty much saying that Nintendo should have been treating the 3DS like the Vita so that the Wii U could have bigger titles and by not doing it so they are outdated.

No. I didn't make any claims about how Nintendo should treat the 3DS. I made a claim about how Nintendo should treat the Wii U.

Xun

I still have a feeling Nintendo has something planned for Pokémon on the Wii U that uses NFC.

It would be fucking huge.

I still have a feeling Nintendo has something planned for Pokémon on the Wii U with NFC.

They already released it in Japan. Pokemon Rumble U, with NFC Pokemon figurines.

Shockingly, Japan hasn't sunk into the ocean or descended into paralysis. Might not be all that much of a magic bullet.

Top Bottom