• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo Make a 3D Pokemon Game for Wii U?

Xun

They already released it in Japan. Pokemon Rumble U, with NFC Pokemon figurines.

Shockingly, Japan hasn't sunk into the ocean or descended into paralysis. Might not be all that much of a magic bullet.
I didn't even realise they released such a thing.

After seeing it I don't think it really capitalises on the potential, so I'm not surprised it didn't sell that much.

I was referring more to a proper RPG anyway.

Darryl

Banned
Pokemon does see a variety of highly successful ancillary product, from anime to movies to merchandising to spinoff games.

It's a highly coordinated, non-risky strategy. Why would they risk it on a big console game? Would it bring in a sufficient audience to replace the 15 million customers who buy their games every two years?

in my analogy, Pokemon The Console Game was the sprite, serving to expand the audience of the coke (Pokemon The Handheld Game). i'm not talking about bailing on the handheld series. i'm not talking about betting the farm on something they aren't good at right now. i'm talking about a complimentary product that works with each other to expand the audience. pokemons audience can definitely expand more. i know for a fact that there are many people who would be willing to jump right back into the series if nintendo could provide a bridge back in, give them an excuse to look at the series some more.

they do currently have a variety of products. they all target roughly the same audience, though. you ask a pokemon fan what pokemon game they're excited for you, they'll probably say "the next one".

JoeM86

A Pokémon home console game would never happen and it wouldn't really work.

The developers are against it, for one. Pokémon is designed to be a handheld franchise. A game to be taken with you when you go out to battle, trade, and various other features. While this is possible with the Internet somewhat, it loses a lot of the ethos set by the developers during the creation of the games.

A home console version of the main series Pokémon games would not create any benefits. It'd have sharper resolution, sure, but there is nothing gameplay wise it can add. In the past, internet would only have been possible via a home console, but that's no longer the case. All it can do is take away the local multiplayer features that are huge for Pokémon, especially in Japan.

Would it please the "hardcore" community? Probably. Would it sell? Probably not.

It's not going to happen and people should accept that. The best we can hope for is another Battle Simulator, perhaps with a non-main series RPG mode tacked on as per Colosseum and XD.

They already released it in Japan. Pokemon Rumble U, with NFC Pokemon figurines.

Shockingly, Japan hasn't sunk into the ocean or descended into paralysis. Might not be all that much of a magic bullet.

Actually, they have. The figures are massive with collectors, and the game is constantly near the top of the Wii U eShop charts, both weekly and all time.

The rare figures in each set are so coveted, too. Shiny Eevee from Series 2 and Red Genesect from Series 3 are going for around 8000 yen on Japanese auction sites

Vorundor

Pokemon Battle Revolution except much closer to the targeted teaser released in 2005 rather than the poor Pokemon Stadium model rehash we got.

That is my dream.

That battle system looks AMAZING!! That would make for a perfect battle system. Also I don't how people can't see an improvement in the battle system if the game came to the consoles, I mean, the core battle system wouldn't really change but it doesn't have to because all f us who ENJOY Pokemon do so with how the battle system is. They could add better camera work to it to dramatize the make it more exciting. Really, the battle system for Pokemon Stadium is fine just as is and if you need to have something "new," have it be influenced by the video above.

They should make a Pokemon snap first. It boggles my mind why they haven't done this already.

Absolute agree, test the waters with games like Pokemon Snap, which I enjoyed it VERY much. Zombie U is a GREAT example of how to control the camera, use the triggers for zooming, for more detailed controls use the touch screen and even then, you have all the other buttons to add whatever other features they want.

They should make a main serie entry pokémon game with NFC figures (pokélanders). But they probably wont.

This would be GOLD! Event if it didn't come to the consoles in this form, a PokeLanders would put Disney and Activision on a tight spot with their toys. I like Disney Infinite actually and will be getting it, seems fun. :)

Yes with CryEngine, realistic shaders and texturing, voice acting and a dramatic storyline.

Though this would be AMAZING, I really don't think it would happen. It would take away the charm of the Pokemon nature and would probably move the IP away from the kids. Either way, I WOULD LOVE THIS!!

And if they want to match that experience of being there with the person almost locally, why can't they put that Wii U camera to work and have a sort of livechat during the battle? With two screens, I'm sure you can figure out somewhere to put it.

This would work but then it wouldn't, only because kids would play along with other not so kid friendly individuals that might do offensive/vulgar things on camera. But regardless, if Nintendo strives for interactivity with Pokemon games, then have certain Pokemon only be accessible by trading with a 3DS game. It wont lock all the Pokemon from the console players but it will give 3DS games an importance over the console that assures that the handheld games are superior when it comes to Pokemon content. Think of it like when you needed Leaf Green to be on the GBA slot on the DS games to unlock certain Pokemons. Either way, if Nintendo wants to have handheld games be superior to consoles, there are ways.

A mainline Pokemon game wouldn't necessarily mean cutting out the handheld games. You want handheld games? You still get them! Let the console gamers have a little bit of fun too. A console Pokemon could offer bigger more expansive worlds and graphics that would be nothing short of amazing. Even if they went with a Nino Kuni style...

Ni No Kuni style world would be A LOT more likely to happen since it does present an inviting aesthetic to the world of Pokemon and would appeal to all gamers, old and young.

GameFreak would never do it, but you know who totally would? Level-5.

I would adore a full-3D remake of Red/Blue for Wii U.

As much I would love them to remake those, I would much rather have Level-5 make a new Rogue Squadron for the Wii U. =P

All in all, I think a Wii U Pokemon game could coexist with the handheld version, simply have the console games take on a story line more akin to those found in the movies, which are really closer to a console game story line anyway. It would still have a use of the Pokemon world but it wouldn't get in the way of the main story. I really hope Nintendo does take a leap of faith with Pokemon sometime this generation, I love the games and I still play em at my age, 29. So please Reggie, heed our words.

hatchx

Banned
Make a Pokemon snap sequel. It's perfect for the gamepad. You could use the 360 degree movement, with lavish graphics due to basically being on rails. Share pictures on miiverse. Release for 29.99 on eshop. Killer app confirmed.

Mariolee

A Pokémon home console game would never happen and it wouldn't really work.

The developers are against it, for one. Pokémon is designed to be a handheld franchise. A game to be taken with you when you go out to battle, trade, and various other features. While this is possible with the Internet somewhat, it loses a lot of the ethos set by the developers during the creation of the games.

A home console version of the main series Pokémon games would not create any benefits. It'd have sharper resolution, sure, but there is nothing gameplay wise it can add. In the past, internet would only have been possible via a home console, but that's no longer the case. All it can do is take away the local multiplayer features that are huge for Pokémon, especially in Japan.

Would it please the "hardcore" community? Probably. Would it sell? Probably not.

It's not going to happen and people should accept that. The best we can hope for is another Battle Simulator, perhaps with a non-main series RPG mode tacked on as per Colosseum and XD.

1. Gamefreak is against it. What's stopping Nintendo from hiring Genius Sonority to do another RPG similar to Colosseum and XD, or even a full one?

2. How does everyone know that there would be no benefit? Like I've stated before, aside from amazing 3D HD graphics, we could get bigger expansive worlds, face and voice chat, Miiverse integration, full on tourney modes, real customization ala PBR, destructible environments, etc.

3. It wouldn't sell? When has a console Pokemon game NOT sold? When has ANY Pokemon game NOT sold?

4. Why would it take away anything local? Why couldn't it simply enhance local playability like PBR and Colosseum and XD did and have you duke out your 3DS Pokemon on the Wii U with 3 other friends?

Plus, Nintendo has already made full 3D HD models and animations with the Pokedex for iOS. I have a hard time believing they'll go to waste, and Nintendo already knows PBR was critically panned so I'm almost positive they won't pull off something as barebones as that again.

Bombadil

Banned
When Nintendo refuses to do something, you think, "What the hell, Nintendo?"

But when the fans themselves are against the creation of a game, it's so depressing.

Who are you to say it wouldn't work, or it wouldn't sell? Who the fuck are you?

Meelow

Banned
True though, Gamefreak is against it but that doesn't mean Nintendo can't get another company to make it, a full 3D Adventure RPG that's open world Pokemon would be so megaton.

JoeM86

1. Gamefreak is against it. What's stopping Nintendo from hiring Genius Sonority to do another RPG similar to Colosseum and XD, or even a full one?

2. How does everyone know that there would be no benefit? Like I've stated before, aside from amazing 3D HD graphics, we could get bigger expansive worlds, face and voice chat, Miiverse integration, full on tourney modes, real customization ala PBR, destructible environments, etc.

3. It wouldn't sell? When has a console Pokemon game NOT sold? When has ANY Pokemon game NOT sold?

4. Why would it take away anything local? Why couldn't it simply enhance local playability like PBR and Colosseum and XD did and have you duke out your 3DS Pokemon on the Wii U with 3 other friends?

Plus, Nintendo has already made full 3D HD models and animations with the Pokedex for iOS. I have a hard time believing they'll go to waste, and Nintendo already knows PBR was critically panned so I'm almost positive they won't pull off something as barebones as that again.

1. GameFreak has as much input into Pokémon as Nintendo. Nothing can be done without both company's consent

2. We have real customisation and tourney modes already. We have face and voice chat already. Miiverse integration is coming to the 3DS. The only thing is HD graphics

3. It would sell some, but it'd lose so much of what makes Pokémon tantalising to the general consumer. This is part of why Colosseum & XD didn't sell well.

4. Because all the elements from carrying the game with you and having local play would be removed. Just having local multiplayer on a console does not count as a substitute

5. The Pokédex 3D Pro models are a base for the models in Pokémon X & Y, they just have different textures to match Ken Sugimori's art style. They have also been used in games such as PokéPark 2 and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity as well as the arcade game, Pokémon Tretta.

I only want 2 things from a Pokemon game:

1. Get rid of that archaic grid-based movement system. I can understand this existing when the games were 2D, but even when the game finally becomes 3D, we still haven't achieved this?

2. Replace those awful electronic Pokemon "cries" with actual Pokemon voices, or at least give the option. At this point, memory shouldn't be an issue for storing all the voice files for the Pokemon, so I see no excuse for this.

I honestly don't care if it's a console game or handheld game that does this.

Jac_Solar

What's preventing any other developer or publisher from making a Pokemon esque game, though? Would the mechanic of catching creatures and using them to fight other creatures be too similar and possibly a copyright infringement?

PsionBolt

If you mean a full-featured mainline RPG, then I'd rather they didn't. Because then I'd absolutely have to get a Wii U on that game's launch day, even though I prefer to wait a few years before picking up a console.

I do want them to make a few more spinoffs to round out the library for my eventual purchase, though. A Gen 6 or 7 compatible Stadium / Battle Revolution game, a Snap game, maybe a Ranger game, and hopefully some new spinoff. A linear / plot-driven RPG-lite might be nice, or some kind of raising sim maybe, like a fancier Hey You Pikachu.

I've always wanted a console version of Pokemon. Just thinking about how it looks on a handheld put on a console with better visuals, it seemed like it would be amazing. However, it's always been a handheld game and I'm sure it will always be that. It's nice to dream though.

Bombadil

Banned
What's preventing any other developer or publisher from making a Pokemon esque game, though? Would the mechanic of catching creatures and using them to fight other creatures be too similar and possibly a copyright infringement?

Isn't Digimon exactly that?

And Monster Hunter seems a little similar.

If you mean a full-featured mainline RPG, then I'd rather they didn't. Because then I'd absolutely have to get a Wii U on that game's launch day, even though I prefer to wait a few years before picking up a console.

I do want them to make a few more spinoffs to round out the library for my eventual purchase, though. A Gen 6 or 7 compatible Stadium / Battle Revolution game, a Snap game, maybe a Ranger game, and hopefully some new spinoff. A linear / plot-driven RPG-lite might be nice, or some kind of raising sim maybe, like a fancier Hey You Pikachu.

I have a feeling that a lot of people in this thread vehemently decrying a mainline console Pokemon are doing so because they don't want to buy a WiiU.

The outcry against Bayonetta 2 being on Wii U was for similar reasons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, my interest in a console mainline Pokemon game withered away a long time ago. But it could be really amazing, especially if it and the 3DS games were made to work in tandem, like Smash Bros.

I have a feeling that a lot of people in this thread vehemently decrying a mainline console Pokemon are doing so because they don't want to buy a WiiU.

No, it's because Colosseum and XD were pretty awful games compared to the handheld games (I still liked them, but they weren't nearly as good & the appeal is more limited now because a big thing with Colosseum was Johto Pokemon which are now readily available)

I'll take a Snap or a Stadium game though (and definitely more Stadium than the Wii one, add in huge gym leader tower etc)

also

Banned
Isn't Digimon exactly that?

And Monster Hunter seems a little similar.

What? Monster Hunter and Pokemon could not be more dissimilar if they tried.
Monster Hunter; you KILL monsters and wear them, steep learning curve, 3D action game, story and NPC interaction is minimal
Pokemon: you capture and befriend monsters, super easy to get into (the deep stuff is reserved for the competitive scene only), turn based combat, big focus on exploring the region and becoming a Pokemon master

The only thing they have in common is that their popularity exploded through local play and even then they are diffrent. Pokemon focuses mostly on competing and trading, while MH is mostly co-op hunting.

Or they understand that console games would add nothing except for fancier graphics, while in the process losing all what makes Pokemon really Pokemon.

Bombadil

Banned
No, it's because Colosseum and XD were pretty awful games compared to the handheld games (I still liked them, but they weren't nearly as good & the appeal is more limited now because a big thing with Colosseum was Johto Pokemon which are now readily available)

I'll take a Snap or a Stadium game though (and definitely more Stadium than the Wii one, add in huge gym leader tower etc)

Those games weren't mainline.

They were spinoffs. Why compare them to mainline Pokemon games?

What? Monster Hunter and Pokemon could not be more dissimilar if they tried.
Monster Hunter; you KILL monsters and wear them, steep learning curve, 3D action game, story and NPC interaction is minimal
Pokemon: you capture and befriend monsters, super easy to get into (the deep stuff is reserved for the competitive scene only), turn based combat, big focus on exploring the region and becoming a Pokemon master

The only thing they have in common is that their popularity exploded through local play and even then they are diffrent. Pokemon focuses mostly on competing and trading, while MH is mostly co-op hunting.

Or they understand that console games would add nothing except for fancier graphics, while in the process losing all what makes Pokemon really Pokemon.

Please. Pokemon is more than just about portability.

But even it was, a console game with better visuals wouldn't hurt the franchise. A lot of people play Pokemon at home. Why not give them the option of playing it with better visuals? They can play it on the Gamepad if they want.

also

Banned
Please. Pokemon is more than just about portability.

But even it was, a console game with better visuals wouldn't hurt the franchise. A lot of people play Pokemon at home. Why not give them the option of playing it with better visuals? They can play it on the Gamepad if they want.
Pokemon is all about portability and social interaction. Having the series chained to the living room would defeat its purpose.

Because why waste resources on creating a pretty console game, which will sell less (sorry, the main PKM audience are not graphic fanatics or they would have never bought the games in the first place), when you could instead develop more handheld entries and reap more profit?
It makes no business sense whatsoever.

Bombadil

Banned
Pokemon is all about portability and social interaction. Having the series chained to the living room would defeat its purpose.

Because why waste resources on creating a pretty console game, which will sell less (sorry, the main PKM audience are not graphic fanatics or they would have never bought the games in the first place), when you could instead develop more handheld entries and reap more profit?
It makes no business sense whatsoever.

You overestimate the social interactivity element of Pokemon.

The portability issue can be addressed easily. You can play the console version at home and transfer the save file to the 3DS version to continue your game elsewhere, and vice versa.

also

Banned
You overestimate the social interactivity element of Pokemon.

The portability issue can be addressed easily. You can play the console version at home and transfer the save file to the 3DS version to continue your game elsewhere, and vice versa.

And how many would actually buy the console version if there was a portable one? Why waste money on the console version when you could just finance a portable sequel which will sell more?
Seriously, how often have you heard: ''No way I'm buying Pokemon, the graphics are way too bad.''?

Bombadil

Banned
And how many would actually buy the console version if there was a portable one? Why waste money on the console version when you could just finance a portable sequel which will sell more?
Seriously, how often have you heard: ''No way I'm buying Pokemon, the graphics are way too bad.''?

It's not just about visuals. The game would have to advance in some way. More gameplay elements could be added in a 3D environment.

also

Banned
It's not just about visuals. The game would have to advance in some way. More gameplay elements could be added in a 3D environment.
X and Y will be 3D.
Also, if they added new gameplay elements, how would the save data transfer work?

Bombadil

Banned
X and Y will be 3D.
Also, if they added new gameplay elements, how would the save data transfer work?

I don't know. I'm not a game developer.

Since the newer games are in 3D, the gameplay would work very well on a console.

Maybe Nintendo should do a survey to gauge the demand for a console Pokemon.

NeonZ

Because Nintendo is a console manufacturer in desperate need of new hit titles for their console? What you're saying only makes sense for a third party with no interest in the console's success.

JoeM86

Wow! How did I not know about this?

The figures are great. Here's photos of mine

BKJIWf8CIAA_s08.jpg:large
BL_lqxSCcAA20mG.jpg:large
BN60Q0lCAAEGSrf.jpg:large

I have catalogued loads of details of the figures for my site, really time consuming and they add to the game, but the game can be 100% completed without them

I don't know. I'm not a game developer.

Since the newer games are in 3D, the gameplay would work very well on a console.

Maybe Nintendo should do a survey to gauge the demand for a console Pokemon.

The thing is, the gameplay could work on a console, but it would lose so many of the local aspects due to not being portable that GameFreak love and think hare part of the reason Pokémon is so big, which is true...especially in Japan. It seems you think the social aspect really is minimal, but I can guarantee you it isn't. Even in the west, which isn't as locally focused as Japan, local Pokémon aspects are still huge. There are Funfest Mission meetups and so forth.

I have two Wii Us (one English, one Japanese), and I am against a home console main seres Pokémon game because it just wouldn't fit the franchise

Bombadil

Banned
The figures are great. Here's photos of mine

I have catalogued loads of details of the figures for my site, really time consuming and they add to the game, but the game can be 100% completed without them

The thing is, the gameplay could work on a console, but it would lose so many of the local aspects due to not being portable that GameFreak love and think hare part of the reason Pokémon is so big, which is true...especially in Japan.

I have two Wii Us (one English, one Japanese), and I am against a home console main seres Pokémon game because it just wouldn't fit the franchise

What local aspects are you referring to?

JoeM86

What local aspects are you referring to?

Basically, part of the big feel of the game is that it's something you take with you to go battle and trade with your friends. This is something that GameFreak push to no end. This is why many of the game's features, like the EntraLink, are made to be local.

While they have made it possible to do a lot of stuff online, and they do, they would never cut off the social aspect.

CTLance

I liked XD on the GameCube, and while I don't own a WiiU (yet?) I wouldn't be opposed to another home console Pokemon game in that vein. I think they won't do it, though. They have Rumble U, and that's good enough for them.

(OT: Was it really a "bad" game? I dunno, my Pokemon tastes may be esoteric, but I enjoyed XD on the cube and Rumble on the Wii and both games get Flak for being "bad" games. )

TLDR: yes, they totally should, but I do not think they will.

Espada

The next hardware jump for Nintendo's portables will probably give us visuals somewhere between the Wii and PS3/360. So you can either wait until then, or wait for the inevitable Coliseum title.

The folks in charge of the franchise have stated repeatedly that this is a mobile series, and their goal is to maintain the ability to go anywhere, link up with others, and interact with them. They don't want to be tied down to a console.

Not only that, it's probably cheaper to make the Pokemon games on handhelds. Still, I hope the Wii U pokemon game looks like this:

prmhMd2.gif

Bombadil

Banned
Basically, part of the big feel of the game is that it's something you take with you to go battle and trade with your friends. This is something that GameFreak push to no end. This is why many of the game's features, like the EntraLink, are made to be local.

While they have made it possible to do a lot of stuff online, and they do, they would never cut off the social aspect.

I think they should expand their idea of what is social.

They push IRL person to person socialization, which is not practical for some people.

None of my friends have interest in Pokemon and I have no interest in making new friends who play Pokemon at my age.

I might make casual Neogaf friends who purchase the same Wii U games as me, but that's as far as it goes.

First, that's completely the wrong way round. POkemon Colosseum were RPGs with a battle sim mode tacked on, and second, didn't Colosseum end up being in the top ten sellers on the gamecube? (wiki says 9th, but that's without Europe sales)

Regardless, it still sold more than battle revolution did , despite one being on the wii with its huge base in comparision to the gamecube.

If anything, Nintendo should get Genius sonority back on another pokemon console with a full RPG mode if they actually want it to sell on the U.

JoeM86

I think they should expand their idea of what is social.

They push IRL person to person socialization, which is not practical for some people.

None of my friends have interest in Pokemon and I have no interest in making new friends who play Pokemon at my age.

I might make casual Neogaf friends who purchase the same Wii U games as me, but that's as far as it goes.

It may not be practical for some people,but you forget the core target audience for Pokémon games: Kids. Most kids, especially in Japan, don't just sit at home online. They interact with their friends to play games and THIS is what they're pushing. It's illogical to just scrap that to put it on a home console, cutting out a good portion of why kids actually play the game

The next hardware jump for Nintendo's portables will probably give us visuals somewhere between the Wii and PS3/360. So you can either wait until then, or wait for the inevitable Coliseum title.

The folks in charge of the franchise have stated repeatedly that this is a mobile series, and their goal is to maintain the ability to go anywhere, link up with others, and interact with them. They don't want to be tied down to a console.

Not only that, it's probably cheaper to make the Pokemon games on handhelds. Still, I hope the Wii U pokemon game looks like this:

prmhMd2.gif

I agree, and thankfully the models are used as a standard for Pokémon games now (the same models used for spin-offs, arcade games etc.). The Noivern model you posted is of the same quality as the redone models for Pokédex 3D Pro so it shouldn't be too hard. Minimal effort in the model department. All they've done for XY is add a special texture on it to make it akin to Sugimori's style

prmhMd2.gif

That would make sense. Just compare the SSB 3DS to the Wii U version. The 3DS character models have the black outline while the Wii U version has the cleaner looking traditional 3D models. The one you posted almost looks cel shaded.

Top Bottom