• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company Withdraws Settlement Offer in Copyright Lawsuit (this is bad)

Riki

So wait, they are upset about bad PR, so they do so something that will get them more bad PR?

They have some geniuses running that company.
They don't care about PR. He broke and agreement they all signed over this litigation.
Regardless of your views, the law is the law.

Jigorath

Banned
You do realize he talked about it AFTER they offered him a settement and before he accepted it, right?

They're withdrawing the settlement because he went public with it, trying to shit on them. You simply don't do that. Like ever.

Poor TPC, how will they ever recover?

They did not withdraw the lawsuit. They withdrew the settlement offer of $4500. Now they're going to just straight up take him to court and ruin the dude's life, in all likelihood.
No, they withdrew the settlement. So now they want it to go to court or whatever.
Oh. Okay then.
how the public views you is more important than making an example out of a small time guy. It would cause nothing but hate.
I think that's actually why they're doing this; they want to make an example out of this guy so no one else dilutes their brand. I guess he shouldn't have thrown a party with tickets at a major gaming convention like that.

KingBroly

Banned
Oh no he was dumb about legal proceedings. Truly this makes things better.

It makes it his fault. He had a deal on the table and decided to take it public instead. Now he's trying to say he took the deal and they can't take it back.

You do not EVER talk about the opposing party in a suit in public because you're going to get burned because it can be used against you in a court of law and destroy your case.

The wording in the NintendoLife article is blatantly trying to paint Ramar as a villain. It's kind of sad.

I'm glad I don't see the world so black and white like some of the TPC defenders are. Ruining the guy's life over a poster is absolute insanity, regardless of TPC being technically and legally in the right.

They don't care about PR. He broke and agreement they all signed over this litigation.

They're not wrong, but they're still assholes. They're probably going to ruin this dude's life.

The wording in the NintendoLife article is blatantly trying to paint Ramar as a villain. It's kind of sad.

I'm glad I don't see the world so black and white like some of the TPC defenders are. Ruining the guy's life over a poster is absolute insanity, regardless of TPC being technically and legally in the right.

Nintendo company sues fan, reported on by Nintendo fansite. Shouldn't be shocking that they're trying to paint him in a negative light.

Nanashrew

Banned
Summary, Pokemon Company offered a settlement but the guy never said that. Sounded like he painted the company in a bad light and now have withdrawn the settlement and taking him to court.

Yeah, you don't do that.

I originally thought TPC was being excessive just going straight to court but unaware of the settlement. Now they're going to court because of what he did.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't believe there are people here defending them over this.

Crazy.

When you reach a settlement, there's a non-disclosure agreement that follows the signing.

It's standard procedure.... in everything.

Corpekata

Banned
It makes it his fault. He had a deal on the table and decided to take it public instead. Now he's trying to say he took the deal and they can't take it back.

You do not EVER talk about the opposing party in a suit in public because you're going to get burned because it can be used against you in a court of law and destroy your case.

You're not doing a great job at convincing someone to transfer sympathies. He was dumb. So fucking what? It doesn't do anything to make them not look like supervillains. It just makes him seem dumber.

You can recognize the reality of the law without automatically siding with those that are legally correct. The law is not perfect. If you get a speeding ticket for 1 mile over the speed limit, you technically broke the law, but the police officer that gave you that is still a cunt.

Resilient

They're not wrong, but they're still assholes. They're probably going to ruin this dude's life.

Nintendo company sues fan, reported on by Nintendo fansite. Shouldn't be shocking that they're trying to paint him in a negative light.

Yeah but can you not see how the dude has fucked up not only once, but twice now by taking the story to the Internet and throwing more bad PR at TPC?

Like, I know TPC brought the bad PR on themselves by suing him in the first place. But think about it outside of the fanboy light that many in this thread and the last have been looking at it.

1. Dude clearly has infringed on TPC properties.
2. Dude then aired the dirty laundry. TPC withdraws settlement. There may have been an agreement in the settlement - we don't know.

Seriously, fanboys who are severely sore about this need to STFU. Just because they make games, they don't need to bend to the peoples will. They can do what they want. Call it defending - I'm just going by the facts.

Quonny

To people here saying "you don't go public", no shit. This guy is stupid. But TPC look like tremendous bullies going through with what is, yes, their legal right.

They should have just settled. That sends enough of a message to people to stop using their copyright materials. Now they seem vindicitive. What are they going to accomplish from this? Wasting time for everyone and potentially ruining this guy's life.

It's just so unnecessary.

Somebody with more law knowledge enlighten me:

Is this one of those situations where they HAVE to go to the full extent of the law because if they don't and then a similar situation occurs later it can be used against them that they didn't pursue it this time?

He broke an agreement because if he hadn't, he wouldn't be able to pay his settlement.

TPC is basically getting into technical law. They're going to look like shitheads, and it's virtually impossible for TPC to come out of this as well-liked as before they started all of this.

So, aside from the eventual bad-mouthing the games will get, despite them having nothing to do with the case...

If he had the settlement offer pulled because he was talking to the media (just look at all the stories about "Pokemon suing loyal fan"), why tell people about this latest development before whatever lawyer he is working with can get them to come back to the table?

I'd imagine that revealing this bit of information when nothing is set in stone yet would justify TPC's feeling that he is out to badmouth them.

Nanashrew

Banned
To people here saying "you don't go public", no shit. This guy is stupid. But TPC look like tremendous bullies going through with what is, yes, their legal right.

They should have just settled. That sends enough of a message to people to stop using their copyright materials. Now they seem vindicitive. What are they going to accomplish from this? Wasting time for everyone and potentially ruining this guy's life.

It's just so unnecessary.

They were going to settle, then the guy opened his mouth and never mentioned settlement. You never do that, or leave things out like that.

jax

Banned
Giovanni.jpg

Better go after Kindergartens next, can't have them use murals to attract customers.

They were going to settle, then the guy opened his mouth and never mentioned settlement. You never do that, or leave things out like that.

Well he couldn't afford the settlement, what was he supposed to do, go into bankruptcy?

MUnited83

For you.
Jesus christ, how much of fucking shitheads can they be?

"We're getting terribly publicity, so we should totally double down on the shit we are doing"

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That doesn't make it right.

Of course not.

I have my stance on TPC which was mentioned in the other thread, but the guy has to help himself for crying out loud (why sign a non-disclosure agreement if you're simply going to mouth-off the situation at the press afterwards? - help yourself).

Sorry? Was his GoFundMe not funded? I'm not saying anything that isn't true. If that's offensive to you then that's your problem.

$4,000 isn't going to cover ANYTHING in the long run here. At all.

It's not "offensive" to me. I'm just saying that it's somewhat unnerving you're so supportive of a company fucking up some dude's life.

Riki

Is this one of those situations where they HAVE to go to the full extent of the law because if they don't and then a similar situation occurs later it can be used against them that they didn't pursue it this time?
The entire situation is pretty text book.
If you don't protect your IP then you start losing rights to it.
If you let people break NDAs then you loose the ability to have them.
You don't have to like the laws, but they do exist and they are enforced.
$4,000 isn't going to cover ANYTHING in the long run here. At all.

It's not "offensive" to me. I'm just saying that it's somewhat unnerving you're so supportive of a company fucking up some dude's life.
It's generally hard for me to sympathize with a person that acts stupidly. The ignorance defense doesn't play well in court or with me

Game Guru

The Pokemon Company does know that this will just paint them in an even worse light, right? I mean it's pretty obvious that even though he did infringe copyright, he is unable to pay the settlement money. Now that they have dropped the settlement, the guy has nothing to lose from showing TPC in the worst light he can or have the media do it now that he got the ball rolling.

True Fire

I work in PR for a fairly prominent company, and in the short time I've been here it's been made pretty obvious to me that good PR trumps ALL. The law being the law only matters to companies when they're the ones getting in trouble.

Video game companies don't really seem to care about PR though, which is bizarre to me. Are gamers so mindlessly loyal that companies don't care if they piss them off? (Probably, ACS will sell millions, Tony Hawk will sell thousands, and I bet this guy will still buy Pokemon Gen 7 even after this lawsuit)

Quonny

Yes, I understand. But why now take him back to court? Why withdraw the settlement offer? Is going after him after you already sent a message worth it?

That's what I'm struggling with. Let this guy be stupid and open his mouth. It'll make it all go away faster. Hell, it was already over. They're just reopening the wound.

epmode

Yes, The Pokemon Company risked losing the Pokemon copyright if this guy's party took place. Thankfully, they realized what was happening in time to ruin his life.

Neoxon

christ man, TPC is such a piece of shit. I continue to hope for the day nintendo does some sleazy backdoor deals to get full ownership of pokemon that way we can be gone with TPC
FTFY. And given how split up the Pokémon franchise is in terms of ownership, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Plus Nintendo would run the risk of losing Game Freak as the developer of the mainline Pokémon games if they try such a stunt.

Corpekata

Banned
The entire situation is pretty text book.
If you let people break NDAs then you loose the ability to have them.
You don't have to like the laws, but they do exist and they are enforced.

What text books are you reading? Because this is a total myth.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yes, I understand. But why now take him back to court? Why withdraw the settlement offer? Is going after him after you already sent a message worth it?

That's what I'm struggling with. Let this guy be stupid and open his mouth. It'll make it all go away faster. Hell, it was already over. They're just reopening the wound.

Well, being stupid definitely doesn't make things go away faster, more often it just escalates things further.

MUnited83

For you.

That statement is a lie, but even if it was true they literally wouldn't ever fucking lose anything by allowing a shitty 30-person party to exist and a couple of flyers to be made.

Top Bottom