• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prisoner (McKellan & Jesus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Village allows people like Sara/313 to live normal lives. 147 got to be with his family. 6/Michael couldn't destroy that in the end.

Ripclawe

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
so wait, why did 6/Michael agree to become the new #2?

Yah, #2 in the village world and head guy in the real world by the looks of it. He saved 313 but she is now the host of the village world and she realized at the end that #6 is going mad already.

I guess 313 in the real world is in the state the first wife was in and the cycle will continue in the future

gdt

DoctorWho said:
The Village allows people like Sara/313 to live normal lives. 147 got to be with his family. 6/Michael couldn't destroy that in the end.

Yep, the Village allowed "broken" people to live a life they want/need.

Ripclawe said:
Yah, #2 in the village world and head guy in the real world by the looks of it. He saved 313 but she is now the host of the village world and she realized at the end that #6 is going mad already.

I guess 313 in the real world is in the state the first wife was in and the cycle will continue in the future

Hence a new #2 every so often in the original series. Yeah, I'm retconning for the fuck of it now.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DoctorWho said:
But what about people like 2's son? Who only exist in the village? Who kills themselves? Do they count as "people" worth saving?

And what's on the other end of the holes?

and what's with the towers?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
But what about people like 2's son? Who only exist in the village? Who kills themselves? Do they count as "people" worth saving?

And what's on the other end of the holes?

and what's with the towers?

I guess people simply slip out of that realm of consciousness when they fall into the holes. 415 jumped in because she couldn't take it anymore. As for 2's son, I'm not to sure but I guess the host can create whatever they want. Everyone has to eat wraps - :lol

gdt

2 wife mentioned something about not being able to have children (in the read world) so I guess she imagined one up in the Village.

SpeedingUptoStop

So wait, what was wrong with taxi cab driver? He lead normal life in the real world, didn't he?

And 2's sons lover lead a pretty fucked life in The Village, it seemed. He got the short end of the stick.

and yea, the clerk at The Village store lived a normal life fer sure IRL...

gdt

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So wait, what was wrong with taxi cab driver? He lead normal life in the real world, didn't he?

No, as the limo driver he mentioned that he lost custody of his daughter in court.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

And 2's sons lover lead a pretty fucked life in The Village, it seemed. He got the short end of the sticl.
147 was separated from his wife and child. In the village he was with them until the child fell in a hole

Ripclawe

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:

And 2's sons lover lead a pretty fucked life in The Village, it seemed. He got the short end of the sticl.

I think the taxi driver was just screwed up in real life and by order of the court couldn't see his family, but getting into the village helped changed him in the real world.

another reason 313 cried at the end was she can't live a normal life like before she is the host now.

SpeedingUptoStop

I can't believe the guy who directed this also directed...

little-black-book.jpg

Blader

Wow I completely missed this whole thing. :lol

It got some pretty mixed reviews prior to airing, did it end up being worth watching?

Cardon

I like the ending and the direction the show went in but I just kind of wished the series left more to the imagination or have a slight WTF factor like the original did. Obviously the new series couldn't be as crazy as the original and despite the new ending being quite good it just felt too tidy to me. Overall I still enjoyed the series and will be picking it up on Blu-ray when it comes out.

SpeedingUptoStop

So why was he testing 6 all this time? To see if he was worthy of becoming 2?

And what's with the totalitarian type rule that Ian McKellan imposed? Was it just his way of running the village? and will 6 run it differently?

Ripclawe

Banned
I think he will try but still end up being just like or worse than #2 because the village helps people but if they are those who have doubts(dreamers) threaten the world he would have to stamp them out at any costs

Costanza

Banned
this was some crazy, confusing shit but I loved every minute of it.

hopefully AMC puts it on blu-ray. the commercial only mentioned a DVD in March.

SpeedingUptoStop

"Mr. Curtis says he's gonna let me see my daughter again if i keep making progress."

Did 2 take away his daughter by attracting her to a hole? Or is he only referring to real life, where the daughter is taken away from him?

somedevil

SpeedingUptoStop said:
"Mr. Curtis says he's gonna let me see my daughter again if i keep making progress."

Did 2 take away his daughter by attracting her to a hole? Or is he only referring to real life, where the daughter is taken away from him?

It's in the real world. He seemed to have a mental problem that was violent and this probably lead to divorce and him unable to see his daughter. Now he is cured and if stays this way he will get to see her again.

The girl in the village is probably the age where he last saw her in New York before she was taken away.

SpeedingUptoStop

The more I read into the meanings, the more I dig. I bump this up to rock solid 9/10.

6's convo with the black guy about his daughter's loss and him really feeling it...probably his final step towards understanding his real life loss of his daughter.

Ripclawe

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
2 encouraging his son to romance women... :-[ totally forced his son to kill himself.

I think that was a part of the plan for him to get out and get his wife back. He sure as hell at the end couldn't wait to pull the grenade

SpeedingUptoStop

6 survives his death because 313 wanted him to live.

313 controls the village immediately after 2's wife dies.

6 chose to stay, rather than really face his fear in the bubble (the unknown/death?) and leave The Village,

beef3483

Just wanted to say that I loved the whole show. AMC really is getting a reputation for putting out quality programming.

SpeedingUptoStop

I like how 6 giving the 313 the pills and holding her hand in the church mirrors that of a marriage ceremony.

And I suppose death in the Village just puts you back in the real world.

I guess it was enjoyable? There just isn't any way possible to divorce myself from the 60's Prisoner in order to fully appreciate AMC Prisoner. Anyone else feeling this way?

Alphahawk

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I like how 6 giving the 313 the pills and holding her hand in the church mirrors that of a marriage ceremony.

And I suppose death in the Village just puts you back in the real world.

Only if they were brought in from the real world other than that they're pretty much dead.

I think 6 is only the second number 2 ever, because it was Helen and Curtis who came up with the idea of the Village in the first place (remember Curtis said she was the first one in the village) I'm also pretty sure 2 sucked as a ruler because he was just paranoid of his son finding out the truth about himself. In the end I see 1112 being the title's namesake (as opposed to 6) becausse in the end even after number 1 died he could never escape.

Also I totally figured out that the whole thing was in 112's head last night. (Thanks to the various clues AMC gave out durring the comercial breaks) One of the mosre satisfying experience as a TV watcher. I was litterally glowing from ear to ear when 2 explained that to his son iat the begining of "Schitzoid"/

beef3483

I loved the irony of the ending. Dictators frequently begin as moral saviors. "At whatever the cost" - perfect.

The start of dictatorship is thinking you know what's best for others better than they do.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
dammit!!! spoiler that shit at the top of the page!!
]
I didn't get to watch tonight's ep!!!

For what it is worth, the story progression of this show hurts my head sometimes. I really want to watch the last one, but you guys gotta be careful what you post! DAMN!

adg1034

As much as I still have questions as to the how of things, the sheer balls the writers showed in
starting us off with the flashsides so early
really fucked with me, since I was honestly expecting more of an
"A-ha! So that's the moment he realizes he's being sent to The Village!"
moment. Also, I still have trouble coming to terms with the idea of
gene therapy treatments on peoples' subconscious minds.
I'm willing to go along with it, to a degree, but given what we know about how things really work, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless we're looking at it in metaphorical terms.

And, actually, right as I'm writing this, things seemed to get much clearer for me. Read on if you want one interpretation of how things work in the show.

The Village is like subconscious therapy. It exists so that troubled individuals can, at the whim of those in charge, have part of their psyche sent there to learn, grow, and change what goes on in their conscious mind. Obviously, their physical selves don't know that they're, in fact, in The Village, as that would defeat the whole purpose of the thing (and notice, if you will, that Michael never actually finds out that he's in The Village, too. I think), but as its residents learn to become model citizens inside The Village, that level of personal growth then affects their real life, just like happened with 137. Death in The Village, assuming you weren't born there, only occurs if you're untreatable or a threat to the emotional/psychological well-being of the rest of its "citizens".

Very cool setup.

beef3483

adg1034 said:
As much as I still have questions as to the how of things, the sheer balls the writers showed in
I'm willing to go along with it, to a degree, but given what we know about how things really work, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless we're looking at it in metaphorical terms.

And, actually, right as I'm writing this, things seemed to get much clearer for me. Read on if you want one interpretation of how things work in the show.

The Village is like subconscious therapy. It exists so that troubled individuals can, at the whim of those in charge, have part of their psyche sent there to learn, grow, and change what goes on in their conscious mind. Obviously, their physical selves don't know that they're, in fact, in The Village, as that would defeat the whole purpose of the thing (and notice, if you will, that Michael never actually finds out that he's in The Village, too. I think), but as its residents learn to become model citizens inside The Village, that level of personal growth then affects their real life, just like happened with 137. Death in The Village, assuming you weren't born there, only occurs if you're untreatable or a threat to the emotional/psychological well-being of the rest of its "citizens".

Very cool setup.

Yup, you nailed it. I have read, played, or watched so many narratives that it is rare for me to leave a story feeling satisfied, but that is just what this show did.

adg1034

beef3483 said:
Yup, you nailed it. I have read, played, or watched so many narratives that it is rare for me to leave a story feeling satisfied, but that is just what this show did.

"Is there another place?"

If the people of The Village ever learned their true purpose for being there, then everything would be just as moot as if their physical selves ever learned what was going on. So, The Village is all there is. Live your life like it's the only one you've got, since that's what's going to effect the most physical change in the outside world.

Hot damn.

Alphahawk

adg1034 said:

Very cool setup.

So are you saying Michael himself
was never in the village, just part of his contiousness was
that's intresting and would certaintly explain how
there were multiple versions of people in the village
I still like to think however that the village initial sole purpose was for
housing 11-12
and then maybbe later they discovered multiple aplications for it.

One thing I'm confused about is the final scene in the village showed bothed
Michel and 313 as concious when we know that to controll the village she needs to be asleep, perhapse they found away around that
Also
number 2's exit
was fuck awesome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom