• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Problem With MGS Re-Make isn't...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
the graphics. I think they did a nice job. The slow-downs are not very noticeable or terribly frequent. Granted, it's not as nice as MGS2, but it's fine. I also really like the voice acting and some of the over the top cinematics. The problem for me is...the controls are pretty shoddy. For this type of game, in this series you would think precision would be much more noticeable. Maybe the GC controller is just wrong for the game but between bad button usage and accidental wrong movements I find it a little frustrating. Also, didn't they think a little more about how the new viewpoints and such would work out with the maps?

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game, it was one of the best games ever before this version ever came out and there's some nice things here. But the nice thing about the Metal Gear series is that you expect a certain level of polish with the finished product and it's not really there with this title. I don't believe that's why SK got fired or moved along, but I do think it's why the sales were mediocre. Even with the base material you don't get that sense that the game stands head and tales above other releases.

Anyhow, sorry to rant about this title again, but I just busted it out after scamming blockbuster for a new cube.

Matlock

Banned
I never really get why people complain about controls so much.

I mean, I suck at most games, but I can pick up the controls in just a few moments. :p

When you combine everything you just mentioned that's "off" in the game, you start piecing together exactly why it didn't work completely. It's still fun though. And it's still my favorite game so far this year even with some of the problems I have with it.

The game has no problems. It takes all of 5 minutes to relearn the controls. Hell there are some parts of the controls (TOGGLE first person) that are so much better on the GameCube.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'd have the agree....the controls were sorta poor

the voice acting wasn't as good as the original's IMO...but that's debatable

still really enjoyed it :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's not a matter of memorizing the controls you dolts, it's their implementation. It's still a great game. It's just also a bit shoddy and that's a goddamn shame. Fugitaboutit, I should have replayed Metroid to break it in.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont like how you have to hold X (or is it Y? one of the 'kidney' buttons) to holster your weapon in first person mode. It feels awkward and stupid. And I dont like how you can't put up your FAMAS without firing a shot, unless you hold A and X together. Dumb! No pressure sensitive buttons make me cry

jarrod

Banned
Wario64 said:
The problem is that it's on the Gamecube and not on PS2! Screw you Silicon Knights!
It's the sad truth. GameCube should've gotten an exlcusive Prince of Tennis or Shaman King game from KCEJ instead, those actually would've sold well. Or maybe even a console Boktai if Kojima wanted to do something for Nintendo personally.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It sure as hell doesn't control BETTER on GC, but it works just fine IMO. I have had NO problems with playing the game on the GC pad...

The visuals are the most flawed aspect.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
dark10x said:
It sure as hell doesn't control BETTER on GC, but it works just fine IMO. I have had NO problems with playing the game on the GC pad...

You are so anal, dark. It looks fine :)

Kandinsky

Wario64 said:
The problem is that it's on the Gamecube and not on PS2! Screw you Silicon Knights!
thumbup.jpg

silenttwn

Ah, so you mean there's going to be a million threads of people complaining about unimportant things that's wrong with the roll eyes smiley? ;)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
silenttwn said:
Ah, so you mean there's going to be a million threads of people complaining about unimportant things that's wrong with the roll eyes smiley? ;)

Well, look at you get the ball rolling, who knows what's next? Why is it unimportant that the game isn't as good as it should be? It's still excellent, I'm trying to make that clear. I like many of the additions. It's just not the whole package. If there's no whining allowed at GA things are going to shut down fast.

silenttwn

For me, TTS was as good as it should be and was very polished. I had no problems with the framerate.. it never affected the gameplay. I could not myself map out a better control scheme, except maybe the whole usage of the start button. I think they should've just used the D-Pad for other buttons.. like up for codec, or something.. because really, no one prolly used the D-Pad for playing the game.

dark10x

silenttwn said:
For me, TTS was as good as it should be and was very polished. I had no problems with the framerate.. it never affected the gameplay. I could not myself map out a better control scheme, except maybe the whole usage of the start button. I think they should've just used the D-Pad for other buttons.. like up for codec, or something.. because really, no one prolly used the D-Pad for playing the game.

No. Perfection != "ignoring" and "accepting" issues...

Stuff like the framerate IS a problem whether you choose to notice it or not. To suggest that it is "as good as it should be" is just wrong...

It IS good, but it COULD have been much better...

It was polished, just not as much as it should've been with all the delaying and hyping that Dyack did with the game. Still it's a great game and it did more things right than it did wrong.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wished they could have kept most of the music. I don't really like the new soundtrack, with the exception of one of the "alert" themes and the Psycho Mantis boss fight (which is really just a remixed version of Psycho Mantis's theme). Really wish they kept the 'The Best is Yet to Come' theme when Meryl gets sniped. Some of the codec conversations seem to be mostly silent too, compared to the original where music was in the background. I just didn't get the same feeling as the original

I also found it annoying that the codec animation wasn't in sync with the conversation. And when a character says "...", the person is actually moving their lips. Uh, what?

Wario64 said:
I wished they could have kept most of the music. I don't really like the new soundtrack, with the exception of one of the "alert" themes and the Psycho Mantis boss fight (which is really just a remixed version of Psycho Mantis's theme). Really wish they kept the 'The Best is Yet to Come' theme when Meryl gets sniped. Some of the codec conversations seem to be mostly silent too, compared to the original where music was in the background. I just didn't get the same feeling as the original

The best new song is the military style remix to the MGS theme although that doesn't seem to be in the actual game but it was in one of the trailers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SolidSnakex said:
The best new song is the military style remix to the MGS theme although that doesn't seem to be in the actual game but it was in one of the trailers.

Is that the song in the beginning of the 27 minute video? I wished that was in the game too...and I didn't even hear the MGS theme at all in the game. You can hear a snippet of the MGS theme when you beat the game like three times, during the credits...but that's it. Then it's just some stupid techno-ish beat repeating for 4 minutes

Jumpman

I would have to agree that Twin Snakes was not as polished as it should have been. The controls however, were just as solid as any of the other MGS games (with the exception of Wario 64's Famas gripe, which is valid).

Overall, despite a couple of rough edges, this version of the game is good enough to replace the PSone verion for me. (not that i'll ever sell the original)

Wario64 said:
Is that the song in the beginning of the 27 minute video? I wished that was in the game too...and I didn't even hear the MGS theme at all in the game.

If that theme was in it then I don't remember hearing it. It's weird that they'd do a new remix of the theme and then not feature it in the game though.

Ranger X

I didn't really like Twin Snakes. The graphics are nice and the new soundtrack too (even if i prefer the original one) What's bothering me is the "not as good as the original" voice acting. I also find that the gameplay is not well balanced with the new moves from MGS2 in addition. It's like if they trew them there but they didn't adjust the rest of the game for it. I felt the game was very cheesy. Makes it feel you're in the hard mode of the original one and you realise the easy mode... After that you play MGS2 and there's no problem with nothing (why?- complete mystery).

What the thing that really did turn me off is what they did with the cut-scenes. The scenario is spoiled too fast and it breaks the punchs and twists of the first one. And fuck off with all the hollywood / matrix shit they trew in everywhere...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if you're going to remake such a recent game, you should at least produce something polished. silicon knights didn't. although i was more troubled by the graphics shortcomings than the controls, which, while problematic, couldn't have been any better on the gc controller.

dark10x

Wario64 said:

I also found it annoying that the codec animation wasn't in sync with the conversation. And when a character says "...", the person is actually moving their lips. Uh, what?

Totally disagree.

I actually really LIKE the new soundtrack, even if it doesn't fit as well. The thing is, the original MGS soundtrack is OLD. I love it, but I've heard it MANY times over and hearing it all again would have no impact on me. Introducing a NEW soundtrack was actually a very good thing and really aided the game.

Tenguman

dark10x said:

Eh? Aside from framerate it looks fine. Are you talking about the color banding? Cause MGS2 has its fair share of color banding issues (maybe even worse than TS)

Wyzdom said:
What the thing that really did turn me off is what they did with the cut-scenes. The scenario is spoiled too fast and it breaks the punchs and twists of the first one. And fuck off with all the hollywood / matrix shit they trew in everywhere...

I higly enjoyed the cheesy cutscenes. Updating MGS was a great move IMO; could never handle the blurry/pixellated PSX look (especially with the filters they used). Raven Vs Snake was worth entry price imo.

dark10x

Tenguman said:
Eh? Aside from framerate it looks fine. Are you talking about the color banding? Cause MGS2 has its fair share of color banding issues (maybe even worse than TS)

Noooooo, it's MUCH worse than MGS2 on PS2. It looks just like MGS2-S on XBOX and is clearly running in 16-bit color. There is plenty of color banding on textures, but the image is also quite grainy. Also, character models aren't really very good (outside of Snake) and the post processing effects are virtually MIA. That's actually REALLY important as those effects were responsible for making MGS2's cutscenes look so impressive.

The game just FEELS sloppy when compared to MGS2. This fact has essentially kept me from replaying the game many times (as I did with MGS2).

Anyone suggesting otherwise is incorrect. We've gone over this way too many times. There are simply some things that people do not notice (or an not capable of seeing). The only subjective remark I've made is in regards to the character models. The rest is pure fact.

Ranger X

TheGreenGiant said:
I higly enjoyed the cheesy cutscenes. Updating MGS was a great move IMO; could never handle the blurry/pixellated PSX look (especially with the filters they used). Raven Vs Snake was worth entry price imo.

errr.... wasn't talking about the graphics... they were just fine! :)

Dez

dark10x said:
Noooooo, it's MUCH worse than MGS2 on PS2. It looks just like MGS2-S on XBOX and is clearly running in 16-bit color. There is plenty of color banding on textures, but the image is also quite grainy. Also, character models aren't really very good (outside of Snake) and the post processing effects are virtually MIA. That's actually REALLY important as those effects were responsible for making MGS2's cutscenes look so impressive.

The game just FEELS sloppy when compared to MGS2. This fact has essentially kept me from replaying the game many times (as I did with MGS2).

Anyone suggesting otherwise is incorrect. We've gone over this way too many times. There are simply some things that people do not notice (or an not capable of seeing). The only subjective remark I've made is in regards to the character models. The rest is pure fact.

Incorrect? Come on.. There are graphical problems in MGS2 as well.. severe tearing problems during the Fatman battle, which is something I hate seeing in console games.. I agree that MGS2 is more polished, but it's not a night and day difference.

I just beat MGS:TTS yesterday. It gets a 10/10 for me. Unlike you retards, I play a game for gameplay. The last few hours were stunning.

dark10x said:
Also, character models aren't really very good (outside of Snake)

I can't agree or back up the other things you said (I haven't been noticing grain/banding issues, for one), but I do have to agree with this.

It's not really that the models are poorly made, though. They just all seem to be built off of the wrong stock. Sniper Wolf really is a 5/10 compared to the Shinkawa sketches - busty and squat instead of thin and brooding. Vulcan Raven, well what can I say about that face but "sorry, please try again".

Snake seemed fairly well done, as did the staff, but Meryl seemed a bit out of whack compared to the MGS2 model. Little things, I guess, but I've worked enough with 3D modelling packagaes (and the MGS1 artbook) to tell the difference.

Serafitia said:
The only thing worthwhile about this MGS/MGS2 remake were the cutscenes. MGS2 beats it in gameplay.

IAWTP. Sorta. I mean, there were other cool things about Twin Snakes, but MGS2 really has it beat in the gameplay dept.

Top Bottom