• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Don't forget Emma and Ray are considered premium goods so maybe thats why the 'good' demons saved them. Need to see the rest of the kids alive first.

Based on last page's message, looks like the manga is doing really good lately!

Next issue we'll finally know what happened to the world. Any theories now?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

So I got a big theory, maybe a little crazy, but roll with me. What is the earliest theme of the series? Things are not what they appear to be. What was an orphanage is actually a plantation. This element has appeared time and time again, even with these new characters, who had plenty of sinister painting shots to make you doubtful(and maybe still doubtful) of their true intentions. So with this in mind, my big theory is this.

I don't think we're on Earth. There is no reason to think that outside of the fact there are trees. And even then, the trees don't quite look right. There are animals more akin to demons all over the place, hostile agriculture that shares design elements closer to the demons, and even Minerva's books are of him going on adventures in foreign lands. And when you think about it, what makes more sense? Demon's invaded, took over, and cultivated Earth? Or Demon's started "growing" these humans they found on their own planet on Plantations? My personal theory that I've held onto for awhile, and we'll see how true it is next chapter.

cLOUDo

My bet is on a kind of mutation, that affect all the planet (we still don't know if Minerva is 100% human)

mdubs

Banned
This is still so good. I was worried if they would be able to keep it up after they escaped but it looks like there is actually an interesting world out there and I want to know about it.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
More like demon hindu or Janinsm, they just don't eat humans but it doesn't seem they normally go out of their way to help them

I really dig the idea of them thinking humans are some sacred animal they shouldn't eat or something. Also that "I'll eat anything else" comment was kinda menacing in retrospect. I wonder how expansive that "anything else" could be? Other demons maybe?

Mr.Sword

I like the reveal since it brings the manga back to the "escape" premise, just now on a much bigger scale. I hope it doesn't turn into an action shonen with superpowers fighting the demons sort of thing.

Veelk

Banned
I want to emphasize how good this writer is at storytelling. In Emma learning to hunt, we have character development (she is taking a step away from her innocence, as she is willing to take life despite her high value of it and even relates this to how Demons are feeding on humans), we are getting more worldbuilding, we get a raising of stakes, and setting up Chekhov's guns for how she has skills she'll be able to use later on.

It's also kinda progressive how the typical gender roles are swapped. Emma is the hunter of the group while Ray is the household man who does the cooking.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Will this showmanga hurt my spirit like Bokurano and Narutaru? I see those character designs and I get triggered :(

I guess Minervas message is just too old and what they were suppose to find there is just not there anymore after all these years.

I think it's either something hidden there, or someone checks that location regularly. They should camp there to give it time.

And damn, Sung Joo was hardcore.

Enjoying this manga immensely.

I'm also betting on an underground facility.

The revelation of the demon wanting to hunt natural humans once more was creepy as hell. Especially the panel in which be expressed his desire to eat humans.

B.K.

I wasn't expecting the twist with
Sung-Joo and Musica. I thought they would actually turn out to be decent people.

Sung-Joo and Musica. I thought they would actually turn out to be decent people.

Well, Musica still seems alright. But yeah, Sung-joo is pretty fucked up, just not to Emma and the group because they aren't "free-range".

Kyuur

The twist on their religion was great. Feels way less "hey here are some random nice demons" now. I especially love that both Musica and Sung-Joo have developed different sets of morales after interacting with the kids, just as someone who interacts with what they eat in our world might.

Chase17

Volume 5 cover
nffar62o1piz.jpg

^ Nice Cover.

---

About the newer chapter 53 (B06-32 Part 3)... I like how the story is going. They're meeting people who are smarter in different ways, and new characters are introduced one-by-one (which is also great).

Also their serial definitely means something other than a label (or he's faking it because he saw it with farm data access). Maybe he could've guessed how long it took them via distance. ETR3M8, huh? Looks like "Extreme" or "Etre"... (Etre is the verb "to be" in french). Judging from Grace Field naming scheme, M8 or 8M is Glory Bell and/or the generation he's in, but I guess he runs a different system.

The existence of other escapees is very very suspicious. Are they meant to run away as some grander plan by the farms? Is he from the group Grandma took care of? Minerva is definitely testing all the escapees before meeting them, and that makes him even more shady.

Can't wait till the next chapter :)
Sipping Air Tea 😂

Nicolada

I like how Emma looks more surprised than scared. I wonder how she'll wing her way out of this one, she's got a plan for damn near everything.

mdubs

Banned
Manga has 1.5 million copies in print, so it's selling well. I'm sure that an anime adaption of the first cour will be on the horizon next year.

I'm glad, because it's so good.

Also, the English cover (vol. 1 comes out Dec. 5) is out now:
51uIlKj1y4L.jpg

Permanently A

I was waiting for it and it exceeded my expectations. This author rarely plays anything straight.

Also the pacing is really really nice... they could have had the coordinates be another basement from Attack on Titan but they didn't.

Not

Banned
I feel like they addressed every single plothole and never did anything predictable once

This is a comic being made by storytelling prodigies

Linkura

I think the new guy is
an older clone of Ray.
The goofy hairstyle and similar face is a dead giveaway.

They do look rather similar but
is Ray Mama's biological son or was she just a a surrogate? Not sure if this was ever clarified.

Not

Banned
They do look rather similar but
is Ray Mama's biological son or was she just a a surrogate? Not sure if this was ever clarified.

There's a
picture of a cell being manipulated when it's first explained, so that would imply she's a surrogate,
right?

Diablos54

I wasn't sure about this but I thought I might as well it's only 54 chapters, and damn I'm glad I did! There's so much potential here I really hope it can keep it up. This new arc has started a bit slow but I mean, anything could happen at this point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom