• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS2 Dual Shock D-Pad is crap. Own up.

DarkCloud

I stated this very same problem back on the old GAF forum...DS2 + GGX2 = FAIL

Any games with quarter circle to reverse half circle rotations for supers is just such a chore on the DS2. And forget pulling off Dizzy or Justice's Ray super 100% of the time. Hell i even had problems doing easy crap like sol's hurricane kick motion consecutively sometimes do to not pressing harder.

And yet take the same game (with some tweaks) and put it on the Xbox and I have absolutely no problem performing basic combos and supers now (Controller S of course)...that Jam vs Johnny mission with the 3 hit damage to super cap is a breeze on the Xbox...took me forever to do it on the PS2.

That said not every fighter is that responsive with the Controller S...CvS2 is quite unresponsive on the Xbox. But it's still lightyears ahead of the DC pads as I can actually do dragon punches in the damn game now.

P90

JoshuaJSlone said:
I quite prefer the PlayStation D-pads to those of Xbox, GCN, or Dreamcast. But I'd take an SNES or Game Boy D-pad over any of them any day. But then I don't play fighters, and would tend to use the analog stick for anything else that would have motions like down, down-right, right.

IAWTP pretty much.

I play fighters and anybody that doesn't use a stick deserves the overall poor control offered by the OEM controllers this gen, no matter the brand.

El Papa

DS sucks ass. The Saturn and DC Copcom fighting pads, wich were pretty much Saturn rips, were awsome for fighting games, even though they were a little frail. The SNES pad was awsome.

I don't like the DS analog either, the SType analog is much better. I like the GC analog better though.

shpankey

not an idiot
the real problem with this controller is the shit analog sticks. secondary location and a domed slippery top = ultra shit

jarrod

Banned
ManaByte said:
NES D-pad = SNES D-pad = GB/GBC/GBA/GBASP/DS D-pad = N64 D-pad = GameCube D-pad

Nintendo has used the same D-Pad since the NES as they own a patent on the design.
Er... you seriously don't know what you're talking about. I'd venture to say you've never touched more than one Nintendo d-pad if you think they're all the same either.

Afaik, some Nintendo platform D-pads can be grouped though as they were reused....

-NES

-GB

-SNES, NES (redesign)

-VB

-N64

-GBP, GBC

-GBA, GC

-PokeMini

-GBA SP

-DS

...but there's clear differences in size, shape, plastic, give and tightness between all these. Nintendo actually holds a patent over the basic D-pad concept from what I understand, not one specific design... and they've clearly used multiple designs over the years.

Sullichin

Controller S by far holds the best directional pad. GameCube's is way too small. PS2's I can deal with, but would have been a lot better if the whole thing was above the plastic.

PS2's controller is the worst of this generation imo - I really hope they move on and make a new one with the PS3.

XS+

Banned
Other than the completely unusable D-pad I don't have many complaints with the DS2. The face buttons are spaced apart nicely and are very slide-friendly (important for Namco fighters). But damn that D-pad makes me not want to buy 2D games or fighters for PS2. And to think we'll just end up with the same crap design for PS3..

Controller S has the best D-pad this gen. I whip out combos and Super cancels in Third Strike Xbox like I was using a joystick.. but I have trouble making fireballs on the PS2 version.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dave Long said:
I like Controller S because the analog stick is decent and the D-pad is at least workable. It's not ideal though, even for GGX2#R which I played for an hour and a half straight online last night and felt like my thumb was going to fall off afterward. It requires too much pressure just like the PS2 one and isn't always responsive. Saturn D-Pad was good. The one on the 6-button controller from Sega for Genesis was PERFECT. Someone ought to bring that controller back. I still think that was the best ever for fighters. Six buttons placed three to a row right above one another and an awesome D-pad. I have never used a better D-Pad for fighters, ever.

One last thing about Controller S, the jewel buttons gots ta go. They aren't responsive enough, often with the A button needing a very hard push to make it register. Once again, placement and no tactile difference to their size/shape make it hard to know where you are without having to make a conscious thought once in awhile. But the response thing is the main problem. I won't even touch the white/black button travesty of design stupidity.

TRUTH!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I refuse to believe any of you saying controller S is good have used it. I've never gotten a bloody thumb from the PS2 or GC controller. The only other controller that caused me pain was that fucking piece of shit Dreamcast controller.

Drey1082

RevenantKioku said:
I refuse to believe any of you saying controller S is good have used it. I've never gotten a bloody thumb from the PS2 or GC controller. The only other controller that caused me pain was that fucking piece of shit Dreamcast controller.

You've actually drawn blood using a video game controller??? What game were you playing?? :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
XS+ said:
Controller S has the best D-pad this gen. I whip out combos and Super cancels in Third Strike Xbox like I was using a joystick.. but I have trouble making fireballs on the PS2 version.

Just out of curiosity, how are you playing 3rd Strike on Xbox?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the patent nintendo holds is for the actual cross shaped d-pad. hence why sony has an x section missing in the middle and most others have a secondary "pad" surrounding the cross.

the basic design of ALL nintendo dpads has been the exact same since the NES. an actual four point cross coming through the plastic. but size and tension of the underlying rubber pad have obviously changed over the years.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nintendo actually holds a patent over the basic D-pad concept from what I understand, not one specific design...

The patent is for the cross D-pad design. That's why the PS pads have the pad split up.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drey1082 said:
You've actually drawn blood using a video game controller??? What game were you playing?? :lol :lol

GGXX, and it was only after like an hour or so.

Yesterday I bought the PS2 SF2 pad. Best pad I've ever used. They say its based on the Saturn pad. Anyhow, its just fantastic. The D-Pad is much better then the dual shock d-pad, and the pad just feels great in general. Its one of my better purchases this year. Oh yeah, it works perfectly with pc convertors for those interested in playing mame games. Highly recommended.

Temujin

I'll have to agree with RevenantKioku, the controller S d-pad may look and feel good at first, but use it intensly for more than half an hour straight, and you'll be a world of pain. Reminds me of the DC controller too.
I don't particulary like the PS2 d-pad, but it's not that bad either.

I guess I'll get one of those Street Fighter pads then...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
XS+ said:
So what makes the Dreamcast D-pad different than the patented Nintendo D-pad?
probably the fact that it is slightly concaved and has a dimple in the middle.

Disc-based D-pads for life. This is what I use for any PS2 or PSX game that needs proper D-pad control, and it was worth every bit of work. From the beginning, the standard PS D-pad has only been good for creating blisters.

XS+

Banned
borghe said:
probably the fact that it is slightly concaved and has a dimple in the middle.
Didn't NES, SNES, Gameboy have dimples? Wasn't Virtual Boy's D-pad concave?

impirius

Turbo Touch 360 4-life

Seriously though, the SNES D-pad is still my favorite. Nintendo really nailed every aspect of that controller.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
For the user's fingers which reside above the plastic, the PS2 doesn't have a D-Pad; it has a D-Cluster, kind of like the directional keys on a keyboard. Its D-Pad is fundamentally broken (into separate buttons). The missing accessibility of that connective molding is what a finger leverages to change directions and roll through diagonals more easily.

etiolate

Banned
I can pull off everything in GGX on a DS 2 and I can pull off everything in CvS2 with the Gamecube pad. I declare you all WEAK.

Neo_ZX

Thank god someone finally said it. I've hated this stupid design for years when all I've ever heard was praise. If they joined all the buttons and gave it just *slightly* more depression then it would be fine.

Despite its deceiving size, I very much liked the DC d-pad (the analog was horribly uncomfortable). Although it looks tiny, it actually works well with my hands which are maybe slightly bigger than average in both size and finger thickness. The DC d-pad has been the most responsive pad I've ever used, tied with the classic serial port MS Sidewinder.

I wish everyone would start making 6 face buttons. WTF happened after the Saturn? You'd think they'd figure out that it's a good thing by now.

Lastly, for the people who have sore thumbs after playing hours of fighting games, you are probably not using good technique or just have a habit of pressing WAY too hard. I've generally seen poor technique is MUCH more common. Usually noted by sliding the joint area of the thumb in the fireball/uppercut motions.
Uppercut motions should use the fleshy part of your thumb to press forward and the joint of your thumb to press down. Granted not everyone's hands are shaped well enough to do this but I think there would be some way to adapt.

Dave Long

Banned
Respect this bitches.

8d_1_b.JPG

It's the best D-pad style fighting game controller ever made. The only thing better are joysticks.

Also, the proper way to hold it is with your left thumb on the D-pad, left palm and fingers underneath that side but your right hand is positioned with thumb underneath and first three fingers above on X Y Z/A B C. Need to hit two buttons or three or all six? No problem. I guarantee that a person who has never done a dragon punch movement in their lives will be able to learn it on here in ten minutes or less.

Thanks for the tag whoever my anonymous benefactor is! It rox!

Neo_ZX

The Saturn/Genesis 6-buttons get a lot of respect. The Satrun d-pad I thought was a bit too loose for my liking but it's been a while since I've held one.

Personally, I think the classic MS Sidewinder beats it. The d-pad will go flaky after a while (I've gone through 3 already) but in it's prime, I don't think any controller is better for fighting games. It is however notably missing vibration, analog triggers, analog sticks, and... uh.. console support.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nintendo's patent on the + joypad expired a few years back, from what I heard... which is why the Dreamcast joypad looks so much like a Nintendo one.

The GameCube joypad is perfectly shaped, it's just too small and in a horrible place. If it were higher up, I think I could get around the size...

Mumbles

I don't know why a hardcore fighting fan would want to use a d-pad in the first place. But yes, the DS is easily the best of the four pads this generation for me. I rarely play racing games, so analog shoulders are of little use to me. The symmetrically placed joysticks make games like Katamari much more natural than the rest. it lacks the goofy black/white/start/back buttons of the Type S, the tiny D-pad and weird Z-button of the GC, the masochistic ergonomics and d-pad of the Dreamcast, or the poor everything from the original Xbox pad.

Now granted, the VMU, the breakaway cable, and the 8-way notches on analog sticks - those are all useful features. But they just don't make up for the shortcomings of the other pads compared to the DS design.

But as far as I'm concerned, all of this generation's D-pads have been pretty poor. They're all useful for, say, menus (well, maybe not the GCs), but for something that requires a lot of quarter motions and the like, they're all either too imprecise, or too sharp.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Dual Shock is a shitty, shitty controller, both in layout and construction. MAF is right on about the pad, and the analog sticks are the worst of the generation. Sony needs to redesign this sucker ASAP for the PS3. The only advantage it has is four shoulder buttons, and even that is mitigated by the fact that the GCN and Xbox triggers are far better for driving games.

I like the D-Pad the best out of the ones that I've played (save the SNES maybe) but I don't play fighting games so I've never needed to make smooth transitions from one direction to another. Since the D-Pad is seperated, I think it gives more accurate feedback. The sticks are horrible though.

XS+

Banned
Dave Long said:
Also, the proper way to hold it is with your left thumb on the D-pad, left palm and fingers underneath that side but your right hand is positioned with thumb underneath and first three fingers above on X Y Z/A B C. Need to hit two buttons or three or all six? No problem. I guarantee that a person who has never done a dragon punch movement in their lives will be able to learn it on here in ten minutes or less.

Thanks for the tag whoever my anonymous benefactor is! It rox!
Playing fighters on a pad with your fingers over the buttons and your right knee keeping balance is pretty damn uncomfortable. May as well find yourself a stick if you're going that route. But whatever works for you..

WarPig

I just got a blister from the Controller S playing Need for Speed Underground 2, but I can't figure out how. It's on my right middle finger -- the hell? It's my index finger that's holding the accelerator down.

DFS.

Dave Long

Banned
I don't need my right knee to balance it. The controller weighs next to nothing. I can easily hold it in place with my left hand and that thumb underneath the right is fine too. Do you people smack the buttons with the strength of ten Grinches or something?

I've never understood that knee thing with this OR with the complaints about Nintendo DS either. Controllers and handhelds don't weigh that much.

Dave Long

Banned
WarPig said:
I just got a blister from the Controller S playing Need for Speed Underground 2, but I can't figure out how. It's on my right middle finger -- the hell? It's my index finger that's holding the accelerator down.

DFS.

Where's it at on that finger. Is it on the side? The Controller S that I have has a very rough surface and I can easily see someone gripping the controller in a way that their fingers rub on there creating a blister.

XS+

Banned
I don't understand the knee thing either! That's how most of my friends play though. They look like morons when they handle pads that way. And I still dominate in matches against them.

Top Bottom