• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Finally got around to using this damn PSPGo I bought late last year.

I really, really wish I bought one of these sooner. The form factor is great for my smaller than average hands, and fits into my pockets way easier than any previous PSP or Vita model does. Between my PSP and my PS1 library, I'm going to lose a lot of damn hours on this thing now. I haven't even delved into the component cables and DS3 support yet!

Finally got around to using this damn PSPGo I bought late last year.

I really, really wish I bought one of these sooner. The form factor is great for my smaller than average hands, and fits into my pockets way easier than any previous PSP or Vita model does. Between my PSP and my PS1 library, I'm going to lose a lot of damn hours on this thing now. I haven't even delved into the component cables and DS3 support yet!

yeah, I love bringing mine to school for waits between classes. This and my GBM are so convenient.

Teknoman

I'd go PSPgo if it wasnt for me having a good amount of UMDs...but I guess I could rip em to a memory card? Also custom firmware works the same?

I'd go PSPgo if it wasnt for me having a good amount of UMDs...but I guess I could rip em to a memory card? Also custom firmware works the same?

Pretty similar. I have to open a program on the memory stick and then it boots into the custom firmware. And like you said I use my other PSP to rip my UMDs to my PC. I bought a Go so I could play PSP games with a Dual Shock on my TV.

Has anybody played Bakumatsu Rock for PSP? I have nearly every PSP rhythm action game but I only discovered this existed a few months ago as it was only released fairly recently, long after I stopped with my PSP collection.

Seems pretty rare too...

I have a ton of UMDs, actually. I ripped them using my broken (but still somewhat functioning 3000 model), installed CFW on my Go (It's really easy, works exactly the same as other models) and put them on there. It's great, and it also gives me digital versions of PSP games that can't be bought on PSN anymore(or were never available) like Crisis Core, FF1 Anniversary Edition, OutRun 2006 and DBZ: Shin Budokai 2.

I believe ripping PS1 discs to play on it works the same, too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a ton of UMDs, actually. I ripped them using my broken (but still somewhat functioning 3000 model), installed CFW on my Go (It's really easy, works exactly the same as other models) and put them on there. It's great, and it also gives me digital versions of PSP games that can't be bought on PSN anymore(or were never available) like Crisis Core, FF1 Anniversary Edition, OutRun 2006 and DBZ: Shin Budokai 2.

I believe ripping PS1 discs to play on it works the same, too.

This is pretty much my exact situation, except my "mostly functional" system is a 2000.

Don't regret getting the Go at all, best PSP model as long as you have a backup for ripping UMDs. Don't think I'd appreciate it as much if it was only only PSP though, since you miss out on cheap UMDs and games that aren't on PSN.

daxy

After picking up a Vita and getting a taste of the great stuff I missed out on from the PSP's library I finally ended up grabbing one of these. Got a blue PSP 3K and have (so far) ordered Gran Turismo, Jeanne d'Arc, Ridge Racer 2 (no. 1 reason I wanted a PSP) and I'm eyeing Popolocrois at the moment. Got a bunch of others I've played on PSV already that I'd like to try out on the PSP in addition to over 20 other games that I hope to pick up over the course of time. Once that fan translation is finalized, I'm definitely getting the PSP version of P2: Eternal Punishment.

Also, now I know that the ridiculous memory card pricing was tradition on the PSP already. Still around 70 euros for a 32 gig card, crazy. Guess Sony figured they could pull it off twice. Thought about grabbing one of those Micro SD to Pro Duo adapters, but I read that they can be unreliable and may cause slower load times, so that's unfortunate.

I'm not too savvy with the whole custom firmware thing, but apart from overclocking it for Wipeout, I don't see a reason to install that stuff? I believe Wipeout is 60fps anyway if played on a PSV.

If anyone's got valuable insights/game recommendations (especially the stuff that's not on PSN) for someone new to the system, I'd love to hear them.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm not too savvy with the whole custom firmware thing, but apart from overclocking it for Wipeout, I don't see a reason to install that stuff? I believe Wipeout is 60fps anyway if played on a PSV.

Ripping your games, screenshot function, playing fan translations. Those were the main reasons for me to use custom firmware.

meppi

Ripping your games, screenshot function, playing fan translations. Those were the main reasons for me to use custom firmware.

WipEout Pure was the reason I modded my PSP when it came out as well.
The reason I have it like that now is so I can play Progear no Arashi on it. :)

daxy

Ah, so it's required for fan translations? That's makes sense now that I think about it. I'll have to look into it some more then. Thanks!

Ah, so it's required for fan translations? That's makes sense now that I think about it. I'll have to look into it some more then. Thanks!

There are also some cool apps, and the PSP's very loud when playing from a UMD. Noise was one of the biggest motivators for me.

Mzo

It's also seriously the easiest thing to do ever, and I am a big, fat, bumbling idiot when it comes to emulation.

daxy

Pulled the trigger on Popolocrois! Level 5 did an amazing job on the sprite work here. Looking forward to playing this.

-snip-

Bleach: Soul Carnival
a fast paced 2,5D side scrolling action game

Phantasy Star Portable 2, needs an introduction? ;)

Oh man, I've been so close to pulling the trigger on PSP2. Is it any good singleplayer? I would assume nobody's playing this thing anymore. I'm torn between getting this or importing a copy of the latest PSO on Vita.

Anyone know where I can get a 16GB M2 memory card for PSP Go, for a decent price? These seem to be going for about £50 on eBay.

think I got mine on amazon, though I don't know how reliable that would be across the pond. I was pretty disappointed by how expensive they were.

daxy

Does anyone here have experience with replacing the batteries in their system? The ones in mine are swollen and probably not long for this world. The battery lid won't even close. I take it I shouldn't be getting the off-brand stuff, but I can't find Sony's batteries for the 3K model at reasonable prices. Also, would a battery pack from the states work on my EU PSP?

Edit: Also, I'd like to access my PSN library from the PSP but I need to update for that. Currently the firmware is on 6.35. Could I still install CFW after updating?

oldmario

Does anyone here have experience with replacing the batteries in their system? The ones in mine are swollen and probably not long for this world. The battery lid won't even close. I take it I shouldn't be getting the off-brand stuff, but I can't find Sony's batteries for the 3K model at reasonable prices. Also, would a battery pack from the states work on my EU PSP?

have you tried contacting playstation about this? maybe they still have stock of new/refurb batteries for the 3000

I'm in the process of dusting off my old PSP 1000 after some years of seldom use, and while the battery in it still seems alright, I have to imagine it's nowhere near it's peak considering I've had thing thing for a decade now.

Has anyone had experience ordering generic, third-party batteries off of Amazon? They're cheap, but reviews for them seem mixed. Anyone here tried them out?

PaulBizkit

Revived my psp-2000 this week. Bought a new battery, bought the component cable to play on the tv, got some fan-translated games like VC3, FFT0 and danganronpa, and decided to finish Jeanne D'arc.

What a great system.

I'm in the process of dusting off my old PSP 1000 after some years of seldom use, and while the battery in it still seems alright, I have to imagine it's nowhere near it's peak considering I've had thing thing for a decade now.

Has anyone had experience ordering generic, third-party batteries off of Amazon? They're cheap, but reviews for them seem mixed. Anyone here tried them out?

No expert here, but the latest cfw are at 6.60 (i have the 6.60 pro-c).

Edit: Also, I'd like to access my PSN library from the PSP but I need to update for that. Currently the firmware is on 6.35. Could I still install CFW after updating?

I have a psp 2000 and bought a generic battery with a new charger (no cables, just stick the battery to the device and plug it in a wall socket). It works great, seems like a new psp since it can run for five hours again.

People who have bought generic batteries, where did you get them from? I see some ones on Amazon under $10, but reviews can be downright horrible, with people saying they get around 1 hour of battery life on them.

koopas

Just picked up a 20$ psp 3001 (in hannah montana pink).

Had silent hill origins lying around so popped that in. Really liking it so far!

oldmario

i'm interested in getting one of those memory stick adapters for 2 micro sd cards what is the max size you can get out of it, like can i stick 2 64gb cards in it and get 118gb?

also what uk sellers
if there are any uk gaf in here
are recommended for decent ones that won't break after a couple uses

daxy

i'm interested in getting one of those memory stick adapters for 2 micro sd cards what is the max size you can get out of it, like can i stick 2 64gb cards in it and get 118gb?

also what uk sellers
if there are any uk gaf in here
are recommended for decent ones that won't break after a couple uses

From what I understand this depends on the adapter itself. Some only support a specific size, for example 2x 16GB or 32GB, etc. So, be sure to check that beforehand.

Megatron

I picked up a psp 2000 today for $30. Getting ready for a trip to Spain and Morocco and don't want to bring my more expensive systems. I only ever had a 1000 before. What are the differences between the 3000 and 2000? I see they se the same battery as each other, but a different battery from the 1000. Does it have a better battery life? I would assume running off the memory card is even better for battery life?

I ordered a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions off Amazon which just arrived. Turns out it is a euro copy. I believe the PSP is region free so it should be fine but any meaningful difference I should know about? Don't want to open it until I know more in case I need to ship it back.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSPH3E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here is the listing. As far as I can tell there is nothing about it being EU.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions off Amazon which just arrived. Turns out it is a euro copy. I believe the PSP is region free so it should be fine but any meaningful difference I should know about? Don't want to open it until I know more in case I need to ship it back.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSPH3E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here is the listing. As far as I can tell there is nothing about it being EU.

I was going to say you might not be able to use the slowdown fix patch, but it looks like there is one for the PAL version.

Not aware of any differences.

I was going to say you might not be able to use the slowdown fix patch, but it looks like there is one for the PAL version.

Not aware of any differences.

Thanks, looking into it a bit more it looks like the save will not carry over to the digital version of the game since saves attach to gameID and each region gets a unique ID. Debating if that is a deal killer for me since I definitely like moving my saves around.

Accoun

Thanks, looking into it a bit more it looks like the save will not carry over to the digital version of the game since saves attach to gameID and each region gets a unique ID. Debating if that is a deal killer for me since I definitely like moving my saves around.

Not sure, but it might be just a matter of changing the savefile/catalog name to match the ID? Like, from ULUS-10297 to ULES-00850 (alternatively without the hyphen). Again, I'm not sure since I never tried it, but I think I heard something about that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable appears...

oldmario

koopas

Heck yeah! I've always wanted the lilac one. This one and the green one we got with the Metal Gear Portable Ops bundle are my favorites.
Thanks y'all. The best part about the Hannah PSP is the fact its a 3000 model. Didn't come with a memory stick any recommendations for one? I expected them to be dirt cheap but I feel like they went up in price?

Finally happy I can play my umds. Passed on so many PSP gos.....

koopas

6S0I3Xn.jpg

kq8wPc0.jpg

hmwzYjZ.jpg

E:Added some photos of my PSP pickups! Dat lilac

Ahh, that looks so awesome! Congrats on an awesome pickup at what seems like an amazing price for the condition you received it. Patapon 3, while good, is below the quality of the 2nd one I feel. If you can, pick up Patapon 2 on the PSN store, I believe it's like $6 or if you can track down the UMD version, a bit scarce, but shouldn't be pricey. Enjoy!

Oh and the memory cards, I only had an 8gb with mine and haven't kept up with the prices of them. But my understanding is that the should be pretty cheap. However, they may be getting more expensive due to the fact that they don't produce them anymore or as much? But just keep checking, you should come across a good value soon enough. Check out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread and ask on there on the chance someone might hook you up with one for a good price!

Top Bottom