• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

oldmario

anyone know if it's possible with a psp 3000 (might be a 3003) and some cfw to make games display fullscreen and have cheat codes available to use?

i know with 1000 you could do both but 1 required usb conection and software the other required you to turn your psp off and turn it back on some way which would remove cfw from the 3000

Takao

Banned
anyone know if it's possible with a psp 3000 (might be a 3003) and some cfw to make games display fullscreen and have cheat codes available to use?

i know with 1000 you could do both but 1 required usb conection and software the other required you to turn your psp off and turn it back on some way which would remove cfw from the 3000

FuSa is the plugin that enables fullscreen PSP games. I'm not sure if enabling that disables cheats, though.

Lelcar

The PSP was pretty much my Final Fantasy machine. Almost all of my games were just the PS1 FFs and the various remakes and games like Crisis Core and Dissidia. With the exceptions of Maverick Hunter X and LocoRoco and a couple other games, I mostly just played Final Fantasy shit on there and I loved it.

In all the years that I've been playing these games, it was on a PSP playthrough of FFIX that I beat Ozma for the first time and same with Ruby WEAPON in FFVII. Good times.

De_Legend

Banned
Is there a list of PSP games that I CAN'T play on my Vita?

Like Crisis Core.. I don't know if there is any others? my gf found a PSP at a store that was closing so I'm wondering if I should keep it or not.

Like Crisis Core.. I don't know if there is any others? my gf found a PSP at a store that was closing so I'm wondering if I should keep it or not.

I'm not sure if there's a definitive list, but if you google around you'll find lists of games [that matter] that 1) aren't on PSN (like Crisis Core) or 2) aren't playable on Vita (Like Spyro in NA)

Is it allowed to talk about custom firmware in here? if so, are any of you guys familiar with custom themes (.ctf) and how to convert them to new firmwares (6.61)?

iclash

I started with the silver PSP 2000, that Daxter bundle. Over time I collected something like 70+ games. Best RPG machine since the SNES/PS1. Eventually I soft-modded the 2000 for reasons and picked up a black/red God of War PSP 3000. Coolest looking PSP model by far, and a joy to play.

I have a phat psp that works but is pretty ugly screen wise, I never noticed the ghosting until I got a vita.

I was looking to get a 3000 or go.

Both of those I can use custom firmware and run games off a memory stick? I can just use my psp phat to rip them and play them on the better screen correct?

I haven't followed that scene in a while and was hoping to be able to play my UMD collection on the go if I go that way. I don't want to re-buy the games and games like crisis core aren't on PSN

Just want to know I can do that. I'm not really looking for anything other than playing my backups with the CFW, maybe a emulator or two as well

Edit: the go works with a dual shock 3 too? that's awesome

autoduelist

here you go:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/

The HTML tags get messed up during the list so you'll need to look at the color 'code' rather than the color for some... but this tells you whether a game runs, can be transferred, etc.

I don't think it lists games not on PSN at all though

Peagles

I was never really much into the PSP but I find myself picking up the odd preowned title at EB for a buck or two. It's amazing how cheap PSP stuff!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am sure this has been asked a million times, but what are the best jrpgs on the psp for a friend that is not that into jrpgs but want to have a good experience with one? He just picked one up, and I think I was able to steer him away from the terrible designs of Kawazu in FF2 (he didnt realize it was the real FF2 and not FF4). Hopefully games with a decent/good story, and not too convoluted mechanics (not tactics-games). Remakes are fine.

I am sure this has been asked a million times, but what are the best jrpgs on the psp for a friend that is not that into jrpgs but want to have a good experience with one? He just picked one up, and I think I was able to steer him away from the terrible designs of Kawazu in FF2 (he didnt realize it was the real FF2 and not FF4). Hopefully games with a decent/good story, and not too convoluted mechanics (not tactics-games). Remakes are fine.

FF3/4, P3P, a plethora of ARPGs like Crisis Core.

Morfeo

FF3/4, P3P, a plethora of ARPGs like Crisis Core.

Is FF3 on the PSP? Anyways, I think that game is pretty bad, so wont recommend it. Crisis Core is also not great IMO (and I guess for full enjoyment requires having played FFVII which he hasnt). Persona 3 and FF4 are good choices. How are the ports? I played the DS-version of FF4, and didnt really like the 3D-graphics, but I would guess they are improved on the PSP?

Edit: And I almost forgot the most important, thank you!

Morfeo

Download only in the West. It's basically a port of the DS version (or the iOS version) with the added option to select the original Famicom soundtrack (which is better).

Ok, I didnt know this, but thanks.

Anything else? How are the Star Ocean-ports? Valkyrie Profile Lenneth? Lunars? Breath of Fire? Ys? So many big names have entries on the PSP, some of them must be great right?

And what is supposedly so great about Trails in the Sky? That game gets alot of praise.

Wereroku

Anything else? How are the Star Ocean-ports? Valkyrie Profile Lenneth? Lunars? Breath of Fire? Ys? So many big names have entries on the PSP, some of them must be great right?

And what is supposedly so great about Trails in the Sky? That game gets alot of praise.

The Star Ocean ports are great. The VP port is ok. It's based off the JPN code so it's missing some of the stuff they added to the US ps1 release but it's still good. I didn't like the Lunar port but YMMV. They cut a lot of stuff out of it. BOF3 is great it's fairly bare bones port with really only a fishing game added to change it from the ps1 version. Ys are good games but I haven't played the originals so I don't know what the differences are.

Takao

Banned
Final Fantasy IV Complete (comes with The After Years) is good stuff. It's a 2D port (remake?) in the same style as the earlier PSP release of the first two Final Fantasy games.

Morfeo

The Star Ocean ports are great. The VP port is ok. It's based off the JPN code so it's missing some of the stuff they added to the US ps1 release but it's still good. I didn't like the Lunar port but YMMV. They cut a lot of stuff out of it. BOF3 is great it's fairly bare bones port with really only a fishing game added to change it from the ps1 version. Ys are good games but I haven't played the originals so I don't know what the differences are.

Sucks to hear this about Valkyrie Profile, as this was the version I decided to buy myself a few years ago (the ps1-version was much more expensive). Anyways, thanks a lot! I always heard mixed things about Star Ocean 1 with a lot of people prefering the Super Famicom-version, but I doubt that is an option for him anyways, so I guess those two should be good.

What about the Tales-games on the system?

Final Fantasy IV Complete (comes with The After Years) is good stuff. It's a 2D port (remake?) in the same style as the earlier PSP release of the first two Final Fantasy games.

Wow, I didnt know this, so its not like the DS-port in terrible 3D? Well, then that instantly rises to the top of the PSP-shortlist for me as well, and I would guess makes this the absolute best version to play of this game, considering the Super Famicom-version is in japanese, the Super Nintendo-version is for babies, the PS1-version has terrible load-times, and the DS-version looks ugly. Am I right?

Xis

This is an OK start, but very incomplete for the reason you mentioned - it doesn't list games that aren't on the PSN at all, of which there are quite a few. Just off the top of my head, here are some PSP games that aren't on the US PSN -

Square Enix stuff:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Final Fantasy I / Final Fantasy II
Both Star Oceans
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Other stuff:
Lumines / Lumines II
Tekken: Dark Resurrection (although Tekken 6 is available)
X-Men Legends II / Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Tony Hawk's Underground Remix
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Metal Gear Solid Acid / Acid 2
Phantasy Star Portable / PSP 2

You also won't be able to play any imported PSP games on your Vita; if you are an US-based RPG fan that means you can't play the Euro releases of Tales of Eternia or Breath of Fire III.

Wereroku

Sucks to hear this about Valkyrie Profile, as this was the version I decided to buy myself a few years ago (the ps1-version was much more expensive). Anyways, thanks a lot! I always heard mixed things about Star Ocean 1 with a lot of people prefering the Super Famicom-version, but I doubt that is an option for him anyways, so I guess those two should be good.

What about the Tales-games on the system?

VP isn't so bad it just has several bad bugs and got rid of some convenience features. It's just bizarre they went with the worse version of the game. I have never played the Super Famicom version of SO but I can understand that some people had problems with the art style change. Wish I knew more about the tales of games but I have never played them.

Edit: Also everyone should play Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2. God those games are weird and fun.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Ys Oath in Felghana is great. Something everyone should play.

Trails in the Sky is also good, but it isn't for everyone. Its strengths are in its characters, story, and world building, but because the game puts so much focus on the world building it causes it to be fairly slow paced for the first half or two-thirds of the game. For people who appreciate that it is great, for anyone else it weakens the game. Very much feels like what it is - an intro to a larger series.

For something fairly simple with a solid story/writing Trails is a good option, again, if slow pacing isn't a problem. I'd recommend the PC version of both of Trails and Ys though. PSP ones are fine though.

Morfeo

Thanks for the detailed answers! So far, it seems FFIV and SO2 probably will be the games I recommend.

So I've got an issue with the PSPGo refurb I just got...

When I connect the PSP to my computer (in usb mode, I've tried the automatic connection and otherwise, as well as turning usb charge on and off) the connection seems fine, but quickly after I get some sort of error that results in "please wait..." being displayed on my PSP, and any file transfer halts and eventually gives me some error that is conducive with the destination folder being undetectable. At the moment I've managed to move some files over (and install CFW), but I haven't been able to move anything bigger over since the disconnect is too quick.

Anyone got any idea on how to solve this? It seems to be an issue either with my PSP itself (which seems like an odd set of symptoms), the cable (in which case i would expect it not to connect at all) or my USB port (which is by far the most unlikely). Suggestions are all welcome.

Pachimari

Oh yeah. Found Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions yesterday!

Also got Crisis Core back some months ago but I'm looking for a version without the Classics around the cover.

FourMyle

Ordered a new 3000 Core pack off amazon yesterday :)

I found a local game shop with tons of new PSP games last week so i'm pretty stoked

FourMyle

As in not used. Not sure if it's common around where other people live but I haven't seen new PSP games around my area in years.

Just realized my GameStop has a ton of new and used PSP games on the shelves - if you're looking for some, let me know. Won't hurt to check and see if I can help a fellow GAF member.

Top Bottom