• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

jonno394

Loving ratchet and clank:size matters still but got distracted by final fantasy vi. About ten hours in to it and roughly half way through the story I believe. Strongly considering going for ffiv:complete. Would you guys recommend it?

Aselith

How hard is it to get translation patches onto PSP? I just bought Grand Knights Story and it's in moon language. I need to get it translated!

Accoun

How hard is it to get translation patches onto PSP? I just bought Grand Knights Story and it's in moon language. I need to get it translated!

Dunno. The only time I've seen them, they needed an UMD rip to PC and running a patching program to modify them. I -think- I've heard of some using LivePatch CFW plugin, but never saw one so I can't be sure if they exist.

I -think- I've heard of some using LivePatch CFW plugin, but never saw one so I can't be sure if they exist.

I know that there's one for Project DIVA Extend, but I don't know if any other PSP games use it so far. I'd be nice to be able to play all fan translations using just UMDs or official downloads from the PlayStation Store.

I picked up psp and some games recently.

5S8i5D6.jpg

jonno394

Hey, has anyone tried .Hack//Link? How did you find it? Feeling in the mood for a faux MMO style game and as I don't have a Vita atm (for Sword Art Online), this might scratch the itch.

Oh man, I was digging around my desk at work (of all places) and found that I had my old PSP Go stashed in a box! I had wondered where it went to.

The amazing thing? it's been years and I turned it on and it still had 3/4 of a battery! It seems I paused Burnout Legends when I last played it and picked up where I guess I left off.

I need to go check my PSN downloads now to see what other old gems I can load onto it. It's been so long since I've touched a PSP, excited to revisit my old friend now.

Oh man, I was digging around my desk at work (of all places) and found that I had my old PSP Go stashed in a box! I had wondered where it went to.

The amazing thing? it's been years and I turned it on and it still had 3/4 of a battery! It seems I paused Burnout Legends when I last played it and picked up where I guess I left off.

I need to go check my PSN downloads now to see what other old gems I can load onto it. It's been so long since I've touched a PSP, excited to revisit my old friend now.

wow, that battery doesn't play.

My PSP-1000 has a way worse battery than that. Won't hold a charge at all...

How is Guilty Gear Accent Core on the PSP? Is it a fairly faithful port, and is it the best of the two Guilty Gears on the system?

I'm getting a Vita, and fancy playing a GG game on it, but because I have a UK account and GGXXACPR didn't come out over here, I'm stuck with the choice of the two PSP titles.

Purdy

How much hassle is it to use a Japanese PSP? Just bought the Big Boss bundle for £100, not sealed but never used, might've over paid but really wanted it

Not a hassle at all. Just change the system language to your preferred one.

Well, circle / X swap is weird especially if you play imports on it, as the swap isn't universal.

Purdy

Not a hassle at all. Just change the system language to your preferred one.

Well, circle / X swap is weird especially if you play imports on it, as the swap isn't universal.

Okay cool, just like my vita then, now to hunt down some good games that aren't digital

How is Guilty Gear Accent Core on the PSP? Is it a fairly faithful port, and is it the best of the two Guilty Gears on the system?

I'm getting a Vita, and fancy playing a GG game on it, but because I have a UK account and GGXXACPR didn't come out over here, I'm stuck with the choice of the two PSP titles.

Yeah, Accent Core Plus is the PSP port you want. The version of Reload in GG Judgement is pretty stripped down. AC+ PSP's sprites are a little more pixelated as a result of being scaled down to the PSP's resolution (like the Blazblue PSP ports, if you've ever played them) but other than that, it's a great port.

So, I started using my PSP more often again. I got Project DIVA 2nd on Sunday:

It's a lot of fun. I cleared all of the song on Normal, and now I'm playing through Hard.

...but my PSP seems to keep thinking that my UMD drive is open, so I get the Home button exit prompt thing randomly in the middle of a song. Sometimes multiple times in a row. It keeps messing me up. It also takes a while for the PSP to start reading the UMD again, so I'm stuck staring at a pause screen a lot. It happened to me just now like four times in a row, and took me like 3 minutes to get back into the game and finish the song, and I messed up a bit thanks to that. Sigh...

mollipen

Do you have Project Diva Extend? If not, get that at some point, and experience the bliss of what is the best game released in the franchise.

Do you have Project Diva Extend? If not, get that at some point, and experience the bliss of what is the best game released in the franchise.

Nope. 2nd is my first game...not counting several PSP and PS3 demos, that is.

I plan to get Extend soon, though...but first, I want to try and make my PSP not keep pausing because of the UMD drive. :/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, I still keep forgetting how much nicer the PSP-3000 is to use than the 1000. I'm playing Brandish on it now and it's really a nice system. It's kind of weird that every time I pick the thing up, I'm expecting to deal with the PSP-1000's godawful d-pad, but instead am greeted by an actually quite good one.

BTW: Brandish is awesome.

May16

Hey, has anyone tried .Hack//Link? How did you find it? Feeling in the mood for a faux MMO style game and as I don't have a Vita atm (for Sword Art Online), this might scratch the itch.
It was absolutely horrible.

I loved the PS2 games, loved the anime, could not fucking stand .hack//Link. It seems like it's gonna be good, at first, and honestly I did somewhat enjoy it for like 3 hours...but then it just infuriated me with how awful it got.

Basically, every single battle -- even ones with enemies that don't have a chance in the world of killing you -- requires you to beat the shit of enemies in the same, step-by-step, exact boring way. "But that sounds like all games!" --No, slow the fuck down, I'm not done.

You have to break their armor to even damage them at all, like 95% of the time, and then have to spend even more time volleying them through the air (which might be fun if you didn't have to do it in EVERY battle), concluding with an unskippable cutscene of 30-60 seconds. Like that movie? GREAT! Enjoy sitting through it 2-3 times in every single battle.

I'm sorry, but when easy battles take such an excruciatingly long time, and every single battle requires the exact same strategy through the duration of a 40-hour game, that just isn't fun to me.

I did like the story because I'm a .hack fanatic, but even being the fanboy I am, I could not stand that game.

Loving ratchet and clank:size matters still but got distracted by final fantasy vi. About ten hours in to it and roughly half way through the story I believe. Strongly considering going for ffiv:complete. Would you guys recommend it?

Loved it.

There are english patches available for you to use with your japanese copies of Project Diva, if you want.

I mentioned that I saw one of the plugin patches that's supposed to work with UMDs for Extend earlier in the page. I couldn't find anything but a French one for 2nd#, but all it worked on was the saving and home button screens. :/

I don't know French (only English and Spanish), but it'd be a lot easier to comprehend than Japanese.

Purdy

790632610e.jpg

Just arrived today. Everything new :D (Although PSP was opened to test, but everything looks untouched. Not too bothered on those games as they came free, need to grab MGS ACID1/2+PO and maybe some yu gi oh games

jonno394

It was absolutely horrible.

I loved the PS2 games, loved the anime, could not fucking stand .hack//Link. It seems like it's gonna be good, at first, and honestly I did somewhat enjoy it for like 3 hours...but then it just infuriated me with how awful it got.

Basically, every single battle -- even ones with enemies that don't have a chance in the world of killing you -- requires you to beat the shit of enemies in the same, step-by-step, exact boring way. "But that sounds like all games!" --No, slow the fuck down, I'm not done.

You have to break their armor to even damage them at all, like 95% of the time, and then have to spend even more time volleying them through the air (which might be fun if you didn't have to do it in EVERY battle), concluding with an unskippable cutscene of 30-60 seconds. Like that movie? GREAT! Enjoy sitting through it 2-3 times in every single battle.

I'm sorry, but when easy battles take such an excruciatingly long time, and every single battle requires the exact same strategy through the duration of a 40-hour game, that just isn't fun to me.

I did like the story because I'm a .hack fanatic, but even being the fanboy I am, I could not stand that game.

Ouch, sounds really bad, I'd heard it wasn't that good, but the LE set looks great. I'll probably avoid. One day maybe the original games will get ported to the Vita!

Shizuka

I mentioned that I saw one of the plugin patches that's supposed to work with UMDs for Extend earlier in the page. I couldn't find anything but a French one for 2nd#, but all it worked on was the saving and home button screens. :/

I don't know French (only English and Spanish), but it'd be a lot easier to comprehend than Japanese.

You can find them on GBATemp, I don't know if I can offer more information than that without getting in trouble.

790632610e.jpg

Just arrived today. Everything new :D (Although PSP was opened to test, but everything looks untouched. Not too bothered on those games as they came free, need to grab MGS ACID1/2+PO and maybe some yu gi oh games

Congrats!! I love my Big Boss PSP3K!

Picked mine up in January, 2012 for the princely sum of $90 :)

zJfBwel.jpg

Purdy

Congrats!! I love my Big Boss PSP3K!

Picked mine up in January, 2012 for the princely sum of $90 :)

http://i.imgur.com/zJfBwel.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Damn! Thought I got a bargain at £100 for the above :D

Looking at your previous posts what is the other large Peace Walker box you have? I really should collect all the MGS stuff that is within a reasonable price.

Damn! Thought I got a bargain at £100 for the above :D

Looking at your previous posts what is the other large Peace Walker box you have? I really should collect all the MGS stuff that is within a reasonable price.

That's the Peace Walker Limited Edition release for NA... came with an art book (which was later included as a chapter in the art book included with the MGS HD Collection LE) and a Foxhound/MSF bandana... seems you can pick them up for about $60 on eBay.

Purdy

That's the Peace Walker Limited Edition release for NA... came with an art book (which was later included as a chapter in the art book included with the MGS HD Collection LE) and a Foxhound/MSF bandana... seems you can pick them up for about $60 on eBay.

Cheers

Need to hunt down the rest of the Play Arts Kai figures too, have an awful habbit of taking them out of the box though :D

jett

D-Member
Just tried Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP.

Wow, the slowmo during any special attack is unbearable. I don't understand how someone thought that was okay to ship.

Just tried Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP.

Wow, the slowmo during any special attack is unbearable. I don't understand how someone thought that was okay to ship.

I think there is a slow-mo fix. If you rip it with CFW and patch the .iso with the fix, it'll run smoothly. There is also a patch to fix the aspect ratio as well if you want to the best way to play it. Sucks, you have to resort to ripping and patching it yourself. People doing what Square-Enix can't (or didn't bother doing)

Accoun

If you rip it with CFW and patch the .iso with the fix, it'll run smoothly. [...] Sucks, you have to resort to ripping and patching it yourself. People doing what Square-Enix can't (or didn't bother doing)

Actually, not. You can use the LivePatch CFW plugin for that. There should be a thread about the patch with details on GAF.

Anyone know of a decent place to buy a PSP 3000 for new, ideally a western one so I can have X as select? Want to avoid paying through the roof but happy to import.

Anyone know of a decent place to buy a PSP 3000 for new, ideally a western one so I can have X as select? Want to avoid paying through the roof but happy to import.

I'm pretty sure there is a GAF member selling a PSP 3000 in the B/S/T for $65 with UMD only copy of Crisis Core.

Edit: Excuse me for the double post, my apologies.

Greenzxy

So, I was playing Castlevania X Dracula and I didn't know Symphony of the night was an unlockable game in this. Shit blew my mind.

Top Bottom