• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I need some suggestions for my japanese PSP games "collection", i'd like to find some more japan-only PSP games that:

1) are import friendly (i don't know japanese)
2) are mostly action games (even real-time puzzle games, but no turn-based RPGs or similar)
3) the weirder, the better! (i love weird games)

Here are the japan-only PSP games that i already have:
- Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus
- Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke
- Umihara Kawase

Here are some japan-only PSP games that i already plan to buy:
- Kenka Bancho series
- GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School
- Danball Senki Boost
- Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3
- Chikyû Bōeigun 2 (Earth Defense Force)
- Akiba's Trip
- Another Centurys Episode Portable

Anything else i should consider to buy? Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :)

I was gonna post in this thread asking about Japan-only PSP releases (except, I don't mind occasionally struggling through an RPG in Japanese, even though I know very little of the language :p )

Anyways, perhaps we both can get some responses in this thread... but for you I would recommend the Salamander, Parodius, and Twinbee collections for shmups (the latter 2 being very zany), and the Project Diva games for rhythm.

leroidys

Finally picked up Powerstone collection after eying it for the past two years on the vita store.

What the fuck, this game actually sucks... It was insanely fun with 4 people on dreamcast back in the day, but playing vs CPU is an awful experience. Especially that last boss battle, goddamn.

Takao

Banned
J4hNcNE.png

On December 12, 2004 PSP launched in Japan alongside 6 games: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Mahjong Fight Club, Ridge Racers, Armored Core: Formula Front, DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, and Lumines.

KalBalboa

Banned
I owned a copy of Twisted Metal Head On before I owned a PSP. My local GameStop got the launch games a week prior to the console itself.

Ten years already... And I have just few games...

I occasionally buy games for the system, even though I don't use it that much; I believe the last game I bought for it was Summon Night 3, and there are lots of great RPGs you can find for cheap online.

Still, in my opinion it is a great system.

jonno394

Just bought myself a White PSP so I can have some retro gaming goodness while at my parents over Christmas. Thinking of picking up the Mega Drive collection, really wish there was a master system collection too so that I didn't have to resort to other shadier methods!

My favourite machine of all time. Strong in every genre apart from turn-based strategy, but an absolute boss for racing games.

Gachitora is fun and understandable for the most part. Unless you can read Japanese very quickly I wouldn't get the Kenka Bancho games - get the one released in the US.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Already ten years? Wow, time really flies by. Anyways, a great machine for sure, with an especially great library of remakes, compilation and such - and finally a way to play Rondo of Blood without selling my grandmother.

Anyways, why are the Ys-games so expensive? I really want that 1&2 collection.

Darius

Banned
What bothers me about my PSP collection is that it basically amounts to be a "pimped out postage stamps" collection as in basically just to look at, while I like the design of UMDs, when it comes to actually playing/using them, they lead to noises that bother me quite a lot and bigger loading times on top of that don´t make me think twice to choose digital when possible. In general what I like about my game collection is that it isn´t just for the sake for collecting things but also to enjoy them by "plug&play" on the native system, something that I really don´t enjoy that much when it comes to UMDs, when a console makes some noise due to reading a disc it´s not such a big deal since unlike a handheld it isn´t in my hands.

What bothers me about my PSP collection is that it basically amounts to be a "pimped out postage stamps" collection as in basically just to look at, while I like the design of UMDs, when it comes to actually playing/using them, they lead to noises that bother me quite a lot and bigger loading times on top of that don´t make me think twice to choose digital when possible. In general what I like about my game collection is that it isn´t just for the sake for collecting things but also to enjoy them by "plug&play" on the native system, something that I really don´t enjoy that much when it comes to UMDs, when a console makes some noise due to reading a disc it´s not such a big deal since unlike a handheld it isn´t in my hands.

Even with all the games I own I have to admit you are pretty correct. I just rip every game directly and play it without the UMD. I still like having the box art and manuals though but that goes to your glorified postage stamps point. Physically owning the game and always being able to rip it directly may be better then no longer being able to redownload a game you own from psn one day, but who knows if that will ever happen.

jonno394

Just in time for christmas

15422054864_e24bbd57f6_b.jpg

Slight issue in that somewhere along the line i've messed up the USB. Was backing up my GTA games so that I could boot off the memory stick, but now my PC won't recognise the PSP stating there's an error no matter what USB port I connect it too. I'm getting a card reader tomorrow but I won't boot my UMDs from memory stick now :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
PSP has better games than the DS. I'm sure everyone in this thread agrees. If I had to ONLY pick three of the best games:

Mega Man Powered Up
Trials in the Sky
Metal Gear Acid 2
... Prinny Can I be the Hero

... now I am going to make a thread about Metal Gear Acid, because those games were awesome.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Slight issue in that somewhere along the line i've messed up the USB. Was backing up my GTA games so that I could boot off the memory stick, but now my PC won't recognise the PSP stating there's an error no matter what USB port I connect it too. I'm getting a card reader tomorrow but I won't boot my UMDs from memory stick now :(

Does it say anything more specific than "there was an error"?

jonno394

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a dual micro sd to pro duo adapter. My 2gb memory stick is already full and only backed up a few of my games.

Unsure about buying from third parties on amazon uk as doubt I'll get a legit photofast product.

Bought bomberman today. Was in cex and saw loads of titles for durt cheap. Will head back after Christmas!

daydream

Banned
Love how cheap a lot of excellent PSP games are. Hate hate hate how it's the Essentials version 99% of the time. Don't want those hideous covers in my collection.

I bought Metal Gear Ac!d on Amazon expecting the clean cover (since the Essentials version has its own product page) but got the Essentials one nonetheless. Easy to get a refund but it's a hassle.

Takao

Banned
Unless you're a fan of otome visual novels, PSP's final semi-notable original release has been dated. Konami will launch Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Tag Force Special on January 22, 2015. Unfortunately, there's no way to import this as it's a PSN exclusive.

jonno394

Bomberman (PSP) is great, haven't played one since Super Bomberman 2 on the SNES. Like the whole ideaw of being able to power yourself up between levels and keep a stock of items.

Badass Rumble is on my to buy list now. Can't find it in the UK but can get it for £20 shipped from the US.

Mzo

I can't wait until we hear more from Vic about his next PSP project.

I freaking love buying PSP games.

SheHateMe

I'm sad.

My PSP 2000's Mem Stick slot won't read any of my cards anymore.

Yes, they are authentic Sony cards.

I can't get it to read; all it does is flash the orange light at me.

Any suggestions?

oldmario

I'm sad.

My PSP 2000's Mem Stick slot won't read any of my cards anymore.

Yes, they are authentic Sony cards.

I can't get it to read; all it does is flash the orange light at me.

Any suggestions?

i had this issue on my 1000 i pushed it in but not all the way till it read then pushed it to a click and it read fine

Teknoman

I can wait until translation starts making more of a foothold on the PSP. Last Ranker will be in english one day...

I still really want to play Grand Knights History...how is the english patch there? Single player any fun or are the online features still going?

jonno394

I still really want to play Grand Knights History...how is the english patch there? Single player any fun or are the online features still going?

I'm going to pick it up after Christmas and use the patch. I've heard single player is decent.

Any one played Ape Escape: On the Loose? How is it?

Teknoman

I'm going to pick it up after Christmas and use the patch. I've heard single player is decent.

Cool, looking forward to impressions!

Which japanese games have playable english patches right now, i only know of type-0 and kh birth by sleep final mix

Well I know Super Robot Wars Z2 Hakai-hen (at least I think thats the sub title) has a menu /combat translation so you at least know all the important commands along with pilot names. I dunno whats up with Venus and Braves.

EDIT: Also apparently Hexys Force is good? I dunno why I thought it was some crappy shovelware rpg for so long.

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a dual micro sd to pro duo adapter. My 2gb memory stick is already full and only backed up a few of my games.

Unsure about buying from third parties on amazon uk as doubt I'll get a legit photofast product.

Bought bomberman today. Was in cex and saw loads of titles for durt cheap. Will head back after Christmas!

i only use the nos32 single microsd to pro duo card.

it works. sometimes i have to take out the card because it wouldn't show up otherwise it has been a good buy for me.

_Ryo_

Which japanese games have playable english patches right now, i only know of type-0 and kh birth by sleep final mix

There are a lot of playable patches, though the English probably isn't that great. Here's a few.

La Pucelle: Ragnarok
Genso Suiko Gaiden Vol.2: Crystal Vallet no Kettou
Genso Suiko Gaiden Vol.1: Harmonia no Kenshi
One Piece: Romance Dawn
Sol Trigger
Valkyria Chronicles 3: Extra Edition
Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side Premium: 3rd Story
Digimon Adventure
Little Busters! CE
Grand Knights History
Madoka Magica Portable
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Tear Ring Saga
Phantom Kingdom Portable
Toradora! Portable
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment
.hack//LINK
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Tag Force 6
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Portable

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Brandish is getting released sometime early next year in English, so you shouldn't need a fan translation for that (I wasn't aware there was one).

Nayuta no Kiseki has a fan translation in the works.

A shame the Valkyria Chronicles 3 one seems to have died off. They did an early release that only worked on the Extra Edition and was still missing some things, then fixed some bugs and posted the current patch, but that was it. They were supposed to finish whatever few things were left and make a patch for the original release but it never happened.

A few games for the backlog:

This is my first R&C game, seems really enjoyable so far.

Oh man, you gotta play the original PS2 trilogy. Doesn't matter how, just play it. That one feels like a demo in comparison (though it's still a good game in its own right).

Yuterald

Are the three Legend of Heroes games worth getting (not TitS)?

They are kind of pricey on eBay.

If I didn't already own them I'd say no, unless you're striving for a complete PSP RPG collection or some shit like that. Those games weren't handled by Falcom and their localization was a DISASTER. I think the third of the bunch is the most playable, but they're a shell of their former, legit, un-translated PC selves apparently.

jonno394

Oh man, you gotta play the original PS2 trilogy. Doesn't matter how, just play it. That one feels like a demo in comparison (though it's still a good game in its own right).

I think I'm gonna have to wait for the ps4 title to Dabble in the main line titles.

I think I'm gonna have to wait for the ps4 title to Dabble in the main line titles.

Dunno how it'll end up, but if the current trend in the series is indicative of its future, the PS2 trilogy will likely remain on top. Very strongly recommended if ever you get the chance (on vita, ps3, ps2, etc.)

Noahd41

Neo Member
I'm glad to have found this thread. I bought a PSP a few weeks after launch, still have the orinal unit. I had quite a few more games like Twisted Metal which I got at launch, Pursuit Force, MediEvil Ressurection, and both Mega Man games. I liked the shooters for online play that early in the game and a lot of the retro titles. I probably stopped collecting after Crisis Core since that is the last game I can recall getting immediately when it was released for PSP. Time to pick up some of the backlog I think.

Top Bottom