• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

meppi

Since it's going to be increasingly harder to find new PSPs in the months to come I ordered 3 extra 3000's from Japan as the only version that's available here anymore is the Street.

Been grabbing quite a few games since I last posted here, so I thought I'd snap a pic of some of the latests games I got over the past weeks.

HPhUFcp.jpg

I really need to play some more PSP games.

I bought one a couple years back to play Birth By Sleep, and since then have only played Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Persona 3 Portable.

I tried out Patapon and found it a bit crap and repetitive, also tried Half-Minute Hero which I really enjoyed, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I want to try out Daxter, J&D: Lost Frontier, Secret Agent Clank and R&C: Size Matters seeing as I love the franchises, though I have low expectations.

Also Trails in the Sky I've heard good things about, but it seems to be like 90% dialogue/story? Dunno if I'd enjoy that.

Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, Locoroco and Metal Gear Acid are games I'd like to try, though I don't know a whole lot about any of them :lol
Is Jeanne D'Arc somewhat like Fire Emblem?

So, umm, what else is there? :p

zadig

Neo Member
I really need to play some more PSP games.

I bought one a couple years back to play Birth By Sleep, and since then have only played Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Persona 3 Portable.

I tried out Patapon and found it a bit crap and repetitive, also tried Half-Minute Hero which I really enjoyed, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I want to try out Daxter, J&D: Lost Frontier, Secret Agent Clank and R&C: Size Matters seeing as I love the franchises, though I have low expectations.

Also Trails in the Sky I've heard good things about, but it seems to be like 90% dialogue/story? Dunno if I'd enjoy that.

Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, Locoroco and Metal Gear Acid are games I'd like to try, though I don't know a whole lot about any of them :lol
Is Jeanne D'Arc somewhat like Fire Emblem?

So, umm, what else is there? :p

I liked Jeanne D'Arc. I've only played the demo of Fire Emblem Awakening, but they're similar in the sense that they're both srpgs. From what I've read, Fire Emblem seems to have deeper gameplay mechanics than Jeanne D'Arc. For one, there isn't a job/class system in Jeanne D'Arc.

Cloudy

Banned
PSP is the reason I can tolerate Sony's handling of the vita. So many great games on my backlog. Just got Lunar last night and I'll be getting Trails in the Sky soon (waiting for a drop under $20)

PS: Is there a reason so many in here are buying PSPs and physical games? Vita and downloads just seems much more convenient (and cheaper), no?

Jucksalbe

Banned
PS: Is there a reason so many in here are buying PSPs and physical games? Vita and downloads just seems much more convenient (and cheaper), no?

- There's a lot of games not available on PSN (and some gone and incompatible to the Vita)
- UMDs are not tied to your PSN account, which makes playing games from multiple regions a lot easier
- Vita memory card prices are ridiculously high and the space you get for the price is hardly worth the trouble
- And of course all the usual downsides that come with digital "ownership" of games.
- Plus, I guess, not everyone owns a Vita...

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Since it's going to be increasingly harder to find new PSPs in the months to come I ordered 3 extra 3000's from Japan as the only version that's available here anymore is the Street.

Been grabbing quite a few games since I last posted here, so I thought I'd snap a pic of some of the latests games I got over the past weeks.

That's a really good selection, really need to get Patapon 3 and Star Soldier Collection. I'm assuming you've got them through Amazon?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

For a lot of games UMDs are really cheap unless you are bent on buying new. Though the better games do seem to be going up in price at least a little these days.

For a lot of games UMDs are really cheap unless you are bent on buying new. Though the better games do seem to be going up in price at least a little these days.

Plus, not all UMD games are available as digital downloads, and you can have all the benefits of DD (faster loading, no loud disc noise) if you rip your legally obtained games and play via CFW.

Risible

Is there any way to rip a umd and play on vita? I want to play Crisis Core but I just can't go back to PSP

Easily? No. If you get lucky and get a game that has an exploit and download it before Sony locks it out in the next firmware update then yes you can, but then you are stuck with that firmware and can't update. Not worth the hassle IMO, I chose to just update my Vita rather than keep it stuck on an old firmware. Not being able to access my PSP Plus games wasn't worth it.

kuQFUCT.jpg

My PSP, bought in November 2006. I had great time with this console. This little thing actually brought me back to the PlayStation systems at some point. Still have it and love it ;)

meppi

That's a really good selection, really need to get Patapon 3 and Star Soldier Collection. I'm assuming you've got them through Amazon?

I got most of these from different ebay sellers I know and trust, but some were from the local Media Markt as well as Videogamesplus.ca.

Got something really nice on the way from Japan as we speak. :)
Might not be a title that most people will recognise or even rate at all, but ever since I bought the DS copy a couple of years ago, I fell in love with the series and was ecstatic when I saw a mint condition PSP version pop up from my favourite ebay seller.
More on that one later. ;)

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I got most of these from different ebay sellers I know and trust, but some were from the local Media Markt as well as Videogamesplus.ca.

Talking about eBay sellers, I've ordered Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror once and by mistake the guy sent me Logan's Shadow. Didn't complain as it was cheaper!

I'm really curious to see that Jap title you've ordered though!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm already planning to get both Star Oceans, Breath of Fire III, Jeanne d'Arc, God Eater, Darkstalkers, all Personas and Half Minute Hero. What others come recommended?

The three Ys games or just Ys Seven if you want to get the other two on PC.
By "the three Ys games" I mean every Ys game on PSP that's not Ark of Napishtim.

I'm already planning to get both Star Oceans, Breath of Fire III, Jeanne d'Arc, God Eater, Darkstalkers, all Personas and Half Minute Hero. What others come recommended?

Based on your apparent taste, I'd second all the recommendations in the two posts above (Ys, Growlanser, and Corpse Party are all excellent choices) and also strongly recommend the Department of Heaven games (Gungnir, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare and Riviera -- unusual JRPGs/SRPGs I can expound more on if you're interested) and the Disgaea 1/2 ports.

Artorias

Banned
With stock dwindling I guess I should get another extra to keep sealed. I have a 1000 with a small crack in the frame, and a pretty mint 3000 from the Kingdom Hearts bundle.

Does anyone know where to order one of those blue or red JP versions? Or if those are spendy, is there still a US retailer selling Black ones online? Walmart, BB, and GS don't seem to have any new stock. I really should have bought the cheap one on Groupon a few months ago.

Teknoman

Finally dropped on some PSP 3000 component cables...looks pretty good on a reasonably sized CRT (just make sure to set the PSP to interlaced mode beforehand if it doesnt support progressive).

I will say I miss not being able to take screenshots on the older consoles/handhelds lol.

Yeah, I just put CFW on my Go today so I can put my UMDs on it now that I have a USB cable for it. So now I can take eCFW off my Vita. That was previously my only way to play PSP games due to my 2000 being kind of messed up, fortunately it still serves me well as a UMD ripper.

I like how small the Go is. It almost makes me want to... use it as a portable! *gasp*

I saw a Go the other day and thought about grabbing it as a CFW machine, but figured my 3000 would work just fine. I just need a bigger memory card. I dont think i'd ever CFW my Vita though, at least until they "stopped" making games for it. At any rate, i'm just happy I can play Super Robot Taisen Z2 in english (sorta, the menus and attacks are translated, but everything else is still japanese). Now if only Last Ranker would get a translation...

Btw how is Gungnir or Ragnarok Tactics?

meppi

WAT.

Heh i'm new to CFW in general (didnt know it would be so easy by now), I guess you have to download a specific app? I'll search and see what comes up.

I'm using prxshot-0.4.0 myself. Need to change a couple of lines or numbers in the config file to change which buttons do what, but works like a charm.

Teknoman

Yeah after looking up prxshot, seems like the most straight forward to use.

On that note, any harm to just setting your PSP clock speed to 333?

Accoun

Yeah, it's something that was actually added to OFW when the first GOW came out (although automatic, not manual), but many (especially) older games don't support it and you have to force it on CFW. I basically have it on all of the time.

Also for example WipEout Pure supposedly is worse without it, but I never played it on default, lol.

komorebi

WuOTDPP.jpg

First time PSP owner. I picked up a mint condition used Go (JPN model) and loved it so much that I got a brand new 3000 a week later. Can't believe I missed out on this system! I have CFW running on both and a pretty large digital collection thanks to also owning a Vita, but I find that PSP games look (and play) better on an actual PSP. In most cases I don't find myself missing a 2nd analog stick because these games were made for a system that didn't have one in the first place. Next step is to get some UMD-only games but so far I'm in love with this system. And that library....!!!

I prefer the feel of the 3000 especially for games like MHFU but the Go is such an awesome device. Both have great screens too.

Teknoman

I'm still trying to import in All Kamen Rider Generation 2 for PSP. You wouldn't believe how many good games there were on this system overseas. Lots of beat em ups, and such happened over there. Wish there was a way to buy the disc and then run a translation patch off the memory card somehow.

I guess just do what most people do when it comes to translation patches of any system. Buy the actual game, then find the best way for you to play a patched version of the game on your system.

EDIT: What Charlequin said.

I'm still trying to import in All Kamen Rider Generation 2 for PSP. You wouldn't believe how many good games there were on this system overseas. Lots of beat em ups, and such happened over there. Wish there was a way to buy the disc and then run a translation patch off the memory card somehow.

Is there a reason that ripping the disc, patching it, and playing the whole thing off the memory card doesn't work for you?

meppi

Well, my mystery game already arrived from Japan! :D

Oz7SYJ4.jpg

This is Loopop Cube: Lup ★ Salad.
There have been version for the PSone as well as the DS which are both terrific as well.

First heard about this game from Toythatkills and actually bought his DS copy a couple of years ago. :)
You can find more info on the game right here, and a review for it over here.

I myself believe the game is worth it, just for this song alone!

So glad I finally have this as the PSP version is supposed to have a bunch of extra levels on top of the DS ones.

Keeki o yakou! Keeki o yakou! Keeki o yakou! Keeeeeeeeeeeeeekiiiiiiiiiii Keeki o yakou! ;)

Derphoof

PSPGaf, I've been pondering grabbing a PSP and picking up some old games. After getting a Wii U, I don't want to throw down $200 anytime soon on a Vita.

So what's the most cost effective way of getting a PSP/Games? Which PSP model should I get? How about a PSP Go? What games do you recommend, besides Peace Walker and Birth by Sleep? Should I go the UMD route or are they reasonably priced on PSN?

Anything else I should know and/or look into?

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
PSPGaf, I've been pondering grabbing a PSP and picking up some old games. After getting a Wii U, I don't want to throw down $200 anytime soon on a Vita.

So what's the most cost effective way of getting a PSP/Games? Which PSP model should I get? How about a PSP Go? What games do you recommend, besides Peace Walker and Birth by Sleep? Should I go the UMD route or are they reasonably priced on PSN?

Anything else I should know and/or look into?

I'll unashamedly link you to my PSP overview post:

PSP Overview

I myself would recommend going for the 2000 PSP as it's simply the bet (I'm currently using the 3000, but got used to the screen).
Also check out my top 10 on there (I did cheat on two games though), it might help you out on what games to get.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I really love the fast disc loading option for ps1 games. It makes a very noticeable difference during battles in Digimon World 2.

I've noticed that too. Especially in Resident Evil 2, in particular when opening doors. cool function and PS1 emulation on the PSP is just perfect.

I got my PSP-1000 as a birthday gift in either 2005 or 2006, and I still have it. I played it quite a bit when new, however the last five years or so it's basically collected dust. Until, that is, I learned about CFW. One of my biggest complaints, load times, are gone, and I'm on the prowl for more cheap games. A microSD and MSPD adapter have made life better as well.

I still have the PlayGear Pocket and printing slips, although I've moved to a case that matches my Vita one. I remember having a PlayGear Amp but I guess I got rid of it at some point. It's a shame Sony wants to make the same mistakes and worse with the Vita.

NateDog

my 1000 is really showing its age tbh
i can't stand the ghosting

I'm kind of the same. I've only ever had a 1000 but have been tempted so many times over the years to upgrade to a 3000 but I think I will end up doing it soon. I found Valkyria Chronicles 2 for €10 the other day new (well, Gamestop "new") and thought it'd be the cheapest I'd ever find it. Brought it to the counter and it turned out to be only €5, I'm OK with this.

my 1000 is really showing its age tbh
i can't stand the ghosting

Mine was too. It was like that effect when a bomb goes off next to you or when you're drunk in some games. It actually made me feel sick so I could only play it for 20 minutes at a time. I was sad to sell it since I got it at launch, but now that I got a used PSP-3000 I can finally finish Birth By Sleep.

linkboy

So should one of these be ok:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZH9OFI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Trying to free my Vita of PSP games for more Vita room, and just play them on my PSP.

EDIT: When did Hexyz Force get so expensive? Guess i'll just use my 14 bucks PSN wallet leftovers for that, and then snag Gungnir and that Card+adapter. Worse comes to worse, I can just return it.

I'd recommend one of these instead

They give you the advantage of having two sticks, for example, you can have a 64GB card if you use two 32GB Micro SD cards.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer the 3000's screen to the 2000. No horrible ghosting and I can easily deal with the interlacing.

Oh, didn't remember the ghosting!
Also the colours are more vibrant on the 3000. And you're right, the interlacing is easy to get used to.

NateDog

Can anyone suggest anywhere to get a new PSP 3000 at its cheapest? Not sure whether to import from outside EU or not.

It may just be my imagination, but used prices seemed to jump after the end announcement.

Perhaps I'll finally get my desk area clear tomorrow and take a pic of my modest collection.

Yesterday, while riding my bike, I stopped by a nearby garage sale on a whim. I didn't expect to find much, but was actually able to score these four for only $2 each!!

jnAGoyI48DLh1.jpg

I'm really excited to finally find both Ape Escape Academy and Daxter for so cheap. Sonic Rivals, I'm not even sure if I've heard of it before - but I'm a sucker for the franchise. Also, glad to finally have Raimi's Spider-man as my first, and only (so far), UMD Video. Any one else own any of these?

For $8, I think I walked out with quite a steal. I passed up on a Greatest Hits version of Star Wars Battlefront II, and both Cars and Monster House on UMD Video.

I'll post a full-collection image eventually. I'm missing some gems, but am pretty pleased with the physical collection I've built thus far.

Top Bottom