• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

OK, so I'm on a mission to pick up good, cheap titles from the Gamestops that still carry them. Any thing that stands out that should be under $10-$15 or so by now?

Mzo

Like a million games. Off the top of my head:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together or Final Fantasy Tactics
Ys anything
Persona 1 and 2: IS
Legend of Heroes: TiTS
Knights in the Nightmare
Crisis Core: FFVII and its spiritual successor Kingdom Hearts: BBS
Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2
Practical Intelligence Quotient 1 and 2 (portable Intelligent Qube)
Crush
WipEout games
Hot Shots Golf games
Monster Hunter games
Prinny games
God of War games

Tons of others I'm forgetting. Depends on what you like, I guess.

Like a million games. Off the top of my head:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together or Final Fantasy Tactics
Ys anything
Persona 1 and 2: IS
Legend of Heroes: TiTS
Knights in the Nightmare
Crisis Core: FFVII and its spiritual successor Kingdom Hearts: BBS
Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2
Practical Intelligence Quotient 1 and 2 (portable Intelligent Qube)
Crush
WipEout games
Hot Shots Golf games
Monster Hunter games

All these! Plus:

ZHP
Ridge Racer 2
Ys series
Hot Shots Tennis (so much fun!)
Dissidia
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Valkyria Chronicles 2

Had:
HSG Open Tee
Gran Turismo
Virtua Tennis
Tiger 06
Godfather Mob Wars
R&C Size Matters
Lumines
Infected

Recently I've added:
Killzone Liberation
LEGO Pirates
LBP
Mercury 2-pack
Secret Agent Clank
Burnout Legends
HSG OT2

On my radar are:
Hot Shots Tennis
Patapon (rebuy)
Locoroco (rebuy)
Frantix
Harvey Birdman
Outrun 06
Poplo Crois
Field Commander
Wipeout Pure
Powerstone Collection
Driver 76
Locoroco 2
Flatout Head On
Ace Combat X
Test Drive Unlimited
Burnout Dominator

I'm limited a bit by what is available around a reasonable driving distance. I'm headed on vacation soon and apparently there is a GS that has a ton of PSP games. Should be expensive.

Been giving some love to my PSP as of late, for some reason I always go for long stretches of time forgetting about it. Currently going through Crisis Core, seems pretty good. Here is a pic of my physical collection.

jtJTro5eHIsl1.JPG

I also have, in crappy Gamestop cases:
Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins
SSX On Tour
Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron
Medievil Resurrection
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Syphon Filter Logans Shadow.

From PSN I have: (Wish I picked up physical)

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness
Burnout Legends
Fat Princess
Twisted Metal Head On
Sega Collection
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Resistance Retribution
Lego Indiana Jones
Blaze Blue Calamity Trigger
Ghost Busters
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
Kill Zone Liberation
Midway Arcade Treasures
Y's Seven
Dark Stalkers Chronicle.

Based off of my collection can anyone recommend any rpgs? I have action adventure covered.

CrovaxPSO

Based off of my collection can anyone recommend any rpgs? I have action adventure covered.

Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

The PSP releases of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II are pretty good as well, but I think they're available elsewhere by now. I recently bought Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and I'm enjoying it a lot as well.

Wereroku

The PSP releases of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II are pretty good as well, but I think they're available elsewhere by now. I recently bought Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and I'm enjoying it a lot as well.
Forgot about the star oceans they are quite fun. Lunar is kind of iffy to me but if you don't have access to any of the others it's ok. It sucks that they used the Japanese code base for Lenneth since it removes all of the nice features added into the na ps1 release. Was there a reason they did that?

Star Ocean & Lunar I have given a look before but maybe it's time to jump. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shmuppers

My favorite handheld of all time and the device that got me into gaming. Picked up Persona 3: Portable because it was on sale, the rest is history.

I've started working at a different location for the company last week and decided to commute by train (daily 1 hour+ long drives make me insane). A good reason to start playing on my trusty old PSP 1000 white again. Made me realise again what a great and unique library the system has.
Looking for some good deals atm; Patapon 2, 3, Gradius Collection and No Heroes Allowed! are high on my list.
Still on the fence with Corpse Party. I get the impression it's considered an essential title, but I'm not sure if it's for me.

cafemomo

Cool, a PSP thread. Best handheld after the GBA/Vita ;)

I don't have much of a library anymore since I have been selling a lot of stuff, but here's what I have left physical wise
fimMLpg.jpg

SpotAnime

Not to go OT, but I hate the fact Sony ditched the UMD format. So many physical-only games for my PSP I'd love to play on Vita/Playstation TV but can't. I know they scrapped the idea of converting physical copies to digital (and, there's no reason that PSNow couldn't stream these), but how awesome would it have been if Sony released an external UMD drive for reading to a Vita?

/endrant

Phil S.

Banned
The PSP is definitely one of my favorite handhelds ever made with a library that is so awesome. Last gen was awesome on both sides handheld-wise.

Here's my collection so far. A lot of these were received through trades/mass purchases.
What games would you recommend me to add that I don't have yet?

Mzo

Let's see:

Crush, the other Patapons, Prinny 2, Half-Minute Hero (you monster), DJ Max Portable 3, the Persona games, Ys I and II.

My last post recommending games is still at the top of this page. It keeps happening.

I still have my PSP1001... went from 5.00 M33-6 up to 6.60 ME-1.8 with a 2x32GB microSD-to-MemoryStickDuo adapter! :D

I remember I used to install CFWs on PSP's back in highschool, kids paid top dollar for a clean no-brick install.

Tapejara

Decided I want to start collecting PSP games. Here are some I recently added to my library; unfortunately Amazon.ca didn't have the best selection. Tried hunting some obscure titles down at a local game store but the selection was pitiful.

B.K.

Is Star Ocean first departure supposed to be better than the original SNES version?

I don't know if it's better, but it's pretty different than the SNES version. First Departure is literally Star Ocean 2 with a Star Ocean skin. The battle system and skill system is the same as Star Ocean 2. Even recipes are the same.

The Cowboy

I finally got one a few weeks back, i found a perfect condition white PSP go (not a mark on it) and promptly bought it and a 16gb memory stick (and an extra cheap scratched up standard PSP). Its so nice having a proper portable system to carry around in my pocket, man i wish Sony would make a new version Vita with this design.

So far i am loving the thing as a fighting machine, having BlazBlue CS2, SF A3, Tekken 6, Soul Calibre, Powerstone collection and Mortal Kombat on the go - its just great.

Heading down to my local Cash gens on payday to clear out all their UMDs, they'll all around £1 each so gonna be getting quite a collection :D.

koma

I need some suggestions for my japanese PSP games "collection", i'd like to find some more japan-only PSP games that:

1) are import friendly (i don't know japanese)
2) are mostly action games (even real-time puzzle games, but no turn-based RPGs or similar)
3) the weirder, the better! (i love weird games)

Here are the japan-only PSP games that i already have:
- Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus
- Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke
- Umihara Kawase

Here are some japan-only PSP games that i already plan to buy:
- Kenka Bancho series
- GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School
- Danball Senki Boost
- Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3
- Chikyû Bōeigun 2 (Earth Defense Force)
- Akiba's Trip
- Another Centurys Episode Portable

Anything else i should consider to buy? Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :)

oldmario

anyone in one of the regions that sony killed store access for PSP able to see what happens if you go to the psn store now? i'd look on mine but the battery is dead and i have no idea where my charger is

The Cowboy

Wow all the used PSP games here are like £15. :(
It was even better than expected, i walked in and on the wall was a sign "all games and blu-rays and DVDs half price", not only did i get a crap ton of cheap PSP games, i was able to buy a bunch of PS4 and Xbox One games to sell for a profit (in effect i got a load of PSP games for free :D).
-
Some of the PSP games i got are so much better than i expected, AC Bloodlines for example is really pretty dam good and it looks great (for a PSP game), I'm also liking Fight night round 3 and Tomb raider anniversary. Some of the games that i did expect to be good though, are very good. Kingdom hearts, LBP, Crisis core and God of war GOS are bloody fantastic.

Wandered into a local shop and found Lord of the Rings Tactics, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Blazing Souls Accelate for $10 each and scooped them up... these bring me up to 370 complete UMD games; it's getting harder to find games I don't have that I'd have even a passing interest in (I can't be bothered with 8 year old sports games or WWF games and the like)... I don't think there are any more RPGs for me to track down :(

Wandered into a local shop and found Lord of the Rings Tactics, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Blazing Souls Accelate for $10 each and scooped them up... these bring me up to 370 complete UMD games; it's getting harder to find games I don't have that I'd have even a passing interest in (I can't be bothered with 8 year old sports games or WWF games and the like)... I don't think there are any more RPGs for me to track down :(

And here I thought I had a lot of psp games with my 45 of them.

Been getting back into my PSP collection lately, sort of 're-discovering' some games I've had sitting around for years but never spent much time with initially. Bomberman is fantastic. Can't believe I never bothered with it until now. The soundtrack is especially blowing me away, right from the title screen you can tell Hudson had some fun with this one.

But yeah, been hitting up eBay for a few things. Everything except Guilty Gear is in shockingly poor condition which is frustrating ('like new' my arse), but they were dirt cheap.

VHS9ExA.jpg

I used to own OutRun 2 on PSP but sold it for whatever reason ages ago; it's still a lot of fun despite the frame rate dips. Flatout is a surprisingly solid port of the 360 game, same with SEGA Rally (although I think Bugbear kind of did their own thing with the PSP version? It's been a while since I played the console game).

Has anyone played Full Auto 2 or Split/Second on PSP? Any good? I think I have a thing for racing game downports now. (゜-゜)

Looks like this thread is getting a bit dusty. Got a question for you folks. Asked in the PSN community thread, but I figured this is probably a better audience.

What would be the best PSP model to play physical UMDs? I have a PSP2000 with CFW for digital stuff and homebrew/emulation, but the UMD drive is broken and -- although I've tried -- fixing it seems beyond my willpower to do.

And here I thought I had a lot of psp games with my 45 of them.
I've been an avid fan/supporter of the PSP since launch, so I've acquired a lot of games over the years... Here's a post I made a while back with a couple panoramic phone pics of my collection if you want to see a blurry mess of games: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109244958&postcount=186. Anyway, I did some research last week and have pretty much decided that besides Heroes of Might and Magic and the second BlazBlue game, there's nothing else on my list I consider a must have... I'm finally reaching the end of the line...

Looks like this thread is getting a bit dusty. Got a question for you folks. Asked in the PSN community thread, but I figured this is probably a better audience.

What would be the best PSP model to play physical UMDs? I have a PSP2000 with CFW for digital stuff and homebrew/emulation, but the UMD drive is broken and -- although I've tried -- fixing it seems beyond my willpower to do.

As a long time PSP fan and collector (and owner of multiple examples of every gen PSP) I would recommend a PSP3000 with 6.60-Pro CFW installed and a large memory card solution (I use 16GB DuoPros, but there are other alternatives with far greater capacities)... Then just rip your UMDs to the memory card for improved (and quieter) performance and the ability easily carry multiple games. There's some contention about which is better, the 2000 or 3000 screen, but give me the 3000 any day (short of the PSP Go, it's the best PSP screen imho).

As a long time PSP fan and collector (and owner of multiple examples of every gen PSP) I would recommend a PSP3000 with 6.60-Pro CFW installed and a large memory card solution (I use 16GB DuoPros, but there are other alternatives with far greater capacities)... Then just rip your UMDs to the memory card for improved (and quieter) performance and the ability easily carry multiple games. There's some contention about which is better, the 2000 or 3000 screen, but give me the 3000 any day (short of the PSP Go, it's the best PSP screen imho).

Too bad you can't jam the better screen into a 1000 shell since that is the best feeling of the PSPs.

pikablu

Still looking to get another psp 2000. I told my girlfriend to get me one for christmas but I don't know if she'll be able to find one in decent shape, used.

Top Bottom