• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

leroidys

On a whim, decided to play through Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X for the first time since it came out.

What a difference the PSP-3000 makes. The game no longer looked like shit, wasn't a blurry mess, and was actually possible to control. Crazy! I originally played the game on the PSP-1000, and while I enjoyed it, everything about that POS system dampened the fun. This time around, I was surprised by how sharp the game looked, and how smoothly it ran (60fps? I didn't know the PSP could even do that.) The controls were also surprisingly precise, which I never realized due to the atrocious PSP-1000 d-pad that I'm so accustomed to.

So yeah, it was interesting revisiting a game I played on the PSP-1000 on the 3000. I feel like I'm gradually starting to warm up to the platform a bit more, now that I see how well an action game can perform on the thing. What a piece of crap that original system was.

Oh, and the game is still great.

I picked it up on my vita a while back, and was blown away by what a good port it was. Being 3D, I automatically assumed that it would run and control worse than the original, but it is extremely sharp in both control and graphics. A really great update to one of the greatest games of all time. It's basically the PSP's Metroid Zero Mission.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I picked it up on my vita a while back, and was blown away by what a good port it was. Being 3D, I automatically assumed that it would run and control worse than the original, but it is extremely sharp in both control and graphics. A really great update to one of the greatest games of all time. It's basically the PSP's Metroid Zero Mission.
I might have to get it next time I get an Amazon voucher at work!
Also, I've bought yesterday Midway Arcade Treasures and was impressed by the port/emulation, especially with the Mortalk Kombats and Gauntlet.
It was £4 and in really good condition, considering it's from 2005.

Might have to post my PSP collection soon...

leroidys

Welp, I just joined you for the first time PSPGAF.

Z0mlCta.jpg

I already own a vita, but have been wanting to play Valkyrie Profile for years. It was actually cheaper to get a PSP and Lenneth than get the PS1 version, and the other UMD exclusives were just icing on the cake.

Had a launch PSP, but sold it back in '09 or '10 I believe at Gamestop for 50 bucks with 3 or 4 games..
Was such a great device back then. I used to own a music phone back then (Nokia 3250 express music) which was like an MP3 player and a phone at once, but I wanted something to play videos too, and MP4 players where expensive as hell back then. Was so happy when I got the PSP, and later on got my hands on a 1gig card. I just compressed some series like The Simpsons or Melcome In The Middle onto that phat PSP and was suited for long train drives.

Now I'm kinda angry that I sold it.. somehow I want a handheld again. But not going to spend alot of money, I'd just jump on it if it's cheaper than getting a new GPU as I got so many PC games I didn't even start a single time - thanks steam sales.

I just saw that the PSP still costs around 100€/140 bucks here, so I might re-think about getting one.

But then again I saw all your game collections, and got a pretty big list of games I want. There are at least 5 games I really want to play, and 5-8 which would be a "why not" purchase.

Struggeling so hard atm. And I'd be sad and mad at once if I got a PSP but couldn't find the games I want anywhere for a decent price (not going to pay 20bucks or more for a game and shipping)

Labadal

Installed some games. Game is going to be a TRPG dream for a while. Probably will take me a year or two to be done with these, considering my play time is limited and other platforms need attention. Some of these games, I have had for years without playing them.

Gungnir
Growlanser: WoT
Wild Arms XF
Tactics Ogre
Front Mission 3
Killzone Liberation

LBP
Ys 7
FFV
Valhalla Knights (expect to delete this one fairly quickly)

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Found Jeanne D'Arc at a car boot sale (Flea market) for £4. The cover has to be a bit straightened out as humidity bent it a bit, but the manual and UMD and in pretty good condition.
A couple of books can solve the cover problem, unless you guys have a better solution!

Found Jeanne D'Arc at a car boot sale (Flea market) for £4. The cover has to be a bit straightened out as humidity bent it a bit, but the manual and UMD and in pretty good condition.
A couple of books can solve the cover problem, unless you guys have a better solution!

I've heard of people ironing cover sleves to repair water damage. I assume they just set the iron to a lower setting and place the cover between a shirt or other fabric on a flat ironing board and go to town.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard of people ironing cover sleves to repair water damage. I assume they just set the iron to a lower setting and place the cover between a shirt or other fabric on a flat ironing board and go to town.
Hmmm yeah, I've read about that one and it does seem like a good idea. I'm just afraid to ruin the cover, knowing my clumsiness.
Still, great idea and thanks!

Damn this thread! Made me pull out my white PSPGO last night. Such a great system. Only bad thing is the nub is starting to blacken a little bit even though I don't play with Cheeto fingers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PSP Go with a memory stick is kind of wonky but I think I've got it set now. Saves need to be on the same storage as the games. I assume a livepatch (like FFT's) needs to as well. Got a 16GB card (Sandisk), and don't regret picking that over 8GB like I was originally considering.

Need to get a case for it, the official soft case is what I'm leaning toward.

frogg609

Noticed over the weekend that my 3000 had some scratches on the outer shell, and some dust inside.

Managed to take it apart and get rid of the dust, but the scratches were bugging me. Local Gamestop still had one new in the package for 99.99. I bought it. I'm considering it my emergency psp if my currently used one dies. Haven't opened it yet.

I'm insane for this system. Love it so much, and have since the 1000 came out.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Noticed over the weekend that my 3000 had some scratches on the outer shell, and some dust inside.

Managed to take it apart and get rid of the dust, but the scratches were bugging me. Local Gamestop still had one new in the package for 99.99. I bought it. I'm considering it my emergency psp if my currently used one dies. Haven't opened it yet.

I'm insane for this system. Love it so much, and have since the 1000 came out.

I've got very minor scratches on mine, but they are barely noticeable even if you put them under sunlight.
Still, it's always good to have a new 3000. You may never know, the system is that great!

pikablu

Really want to get a new psp but I'm kinda in the $50 range and I've only seen them for like $65-70 used and very rarely at that. Kinda want to get another 2000 but I wouldn't be opposed to a 3000. My screen is shot on the other one. I think someone may have dropped it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are the slowdowns in FFT for PSP as bad as it is said?
Is it playable?

Animation is slowed down, it's not a framerate problem. If you have never played it you won't really notice, and there is a patch (live patch, works even with a UMD) to restore the original speed if you have CFW.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lots of talk about SRPGs this past page... have you all checked out Wild Arms XF? Playing it now and it's really interesting. Extremely challenging, and much more puzzle-based than your standard SRPG. You need to optimize your party with the best classes to tackle each mission, and the missions are frequently something more detailed than "kill every single enemy".

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does Wild Arms XF have any connections to the other Wild Arms games? I'm not sure if I should play them first, I only finished the first two so far.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Does Wild Arms XF have any connections to the other Wild Arms games? I'm not sure if I should play them first, I only finished the first two so far.

So far, not too much aside from being set in Filgaia. ARMs in this game are what offer up classes for your party. I've only played 1 and 3 and so far I don't think this game is spoiling anything in the other games in the series.

Damn this thread! Made me pull out my white PSPGO last night. Such a great system.

I actually pulled mine out after quite a and charged it up last night too after quite a hiatus. After so much handheld time with the 3DS XL recently it's kind of astonishing how nice that tiny little screen is.

True story: while I was living in my last apartment I finished some game on my Go, put it to sleep, and stuck it in my gadget drawer. Six months later I moved, and when I unpacked I pulled it out and realized I hadn't touched it in the whole interim. Flicked the switch and it still came back on! God bless its little digital heart.

Alright PSP heads, Tactics Ogre LUCT is just $3.99 on Newegg.
No excuses.

One of an embarrassingly large number of PSP games I have already purchased twice. >_<

Metal Slug Anthology and Mega Drive Collection are both cheating. :p

What are some must have PSP exclusives? Or which titles have their definite version on PSP? I should mention that I'm usually not a fan of JRPGs though...

What are some must have PSP exclusives? Or which titles have their definite version on PSP? I should mention that I'm usually not a fan of JRPGs though...

DJ MAX series for rhythm games, Lumines II for puzzle games, and while I don't consider it the definite version, Dracula X Chronicles is a great action platform title.

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception is my favorite PSP game and one of my favorite Ace Combat games. I just wish that it was available on the PS Store so I could get it on my Vita without modding.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
The Loco Roco and Paragon series are a worthwhile mention, and if you want something more action based, you can get Resistance: Retribution or Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow. (these aren't exclusives, but started out on PSP)
You could get Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins,as that's a really good version and you can choose the difficulty level.
As for racing, Motorstorm Arctic Edge is a damn good release. The graphics are really good and there aren't many slowdowns and plays a bit better than the PS3 releases.

What are some must have PSP exclusives?

Crush isn't technically PSP exclusive because of the garbagey 3DS version, but it might as well be, and it's an excellent puzzle game.

Castlevania X Chronicles also isn't technically an exclusive since it's a collection of ports and remakes of older games, but it's the only place that collection appeared and it is definitely an absolute must for any fan of classic Castlevania.

Crush isn't technically PSP exclusive because of the garbagey 3DS version, but it might as well be, and it's an excellent puzzle game.

Castlevania X Chronicles also isn't technically an exclusive since it's a collection of ports and remakes of older games, but it's the only place that collection appeared and it is definitely an absolute must for any fan of classic Castlevania.

Dang, I was thinking about picking up the 3DS version. What's bad about it?

xBladeM6x

Just going to say this now. Phantasy Star Portable 2 / Infinity are the best two games on PSP. This is not opinion, it's fact.

Okay, maybe it's opinion. But still. Lol

linkboy

Basically, last time I checked, they could crack into the PSP sandbox and that's it... and, of course, you need to have one of the cracked games on an old firmware to manage even that... Basically, you turn your Vita into a gimped CFW PSP, which is not something I can be bothered doing just to play PSX and PSP games as well as some mediocre emulators on "dat OLED", especially when I have three CFW PSPs within arm's reach of my Vita...

I modded my Vita specifically to play my PSP and PS1 games (at least until TN-v9 comes out).

There's nothing on the Vita outside of the 5 games I have (Hot Shots Golf, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Ys Memories of Celceta and Lumines) that I'm interested in and I'd much rather play my PSP games on a much better system (especially for Type-0, which sucks on a PSP).

I just wish the memory cards were cheaper.

The PSP is one of my favorite systems ever and I want to play those games the best way possible (I'm probably going to be picking up a second Vita in the near future if a game I want gets released).

shaowebb

I'm still trying to import in All Kamen Rider Generation 2 for PSP. You wouldn't believe how many good games there were on this system overseas. Lots of beat em ups, and such happened over there. Wish there was a way to buy the disc and then run a translation patch off the memory card somehow.

redhairedking

I got really excited and then saw that you aren't a big fan of JRPGs. Is there some specific aspect you don't like about them? Anyway, some good non-JRPG exclusives are Loco Roco, Katamari, and The 3rd Birthday.

I got really excited and then saw that you aren't a big fan of JRPGs. Is there some specific aspect you don't like about them? Anyway, some good non-JRPG exclusives are Loco Roco, Katamari, and The 3rd Birthday.

I get bored of playing/investing into a game for a long period of time. I love arcadey games that I can pop in for a bit play some games and hop out and do something else.

May I join PSP GAF? :)

Some know I got a Vita less than a month ago and PS+ aside I've been mostly rockin' PSP stuff, I have five PS1 games and 1 PSP game:

PS1:

Rayman
Rayman 2
Twisted Metal
Destruction Derby
Warhawk (yeah, there actually was one on PS1 that the PS3 game is based on...)

PSP:

Call of Duty: Roads to Victory

Not too shabby, all but the two Raymans were codes given to me by very kind people. :)

So here's my question; what other freebies are out there in the world for NA? The three PS1 games were from PlayStation Home via PS3 and COD was a freebie from Declassified retail on Vita.

I've been wanting the free Ratchet: Size Matters and LBP PSP and I think it was SOCOM that came with PSP Go bundles, but those expired not too long after IIRC.

I'm addicted to freebies. XD

CrovaxPSO

Figured I'd get some pictures of the physical games I have before it's time to start thinking about storing them. Any glaring omissions that I should look into? There is a handful of stuff I've been meaning to get for a while, like Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Any glaring omissions that I should look into? There is a handful of stuff I've been meaning to get for a while, like Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

I can't really read what those Japanese games are (aside from K-On), but since you seem to like RPGs, I'd suggest getting Trails in the Sky.

I can't really read what those Japanese games are (aside from K-On), but since you seem to like RPGs, I'd suggest getting Trails in the Sky.

He's got 2 Elminage games (III and Gothic), K-ON! Ho-kago Live!!, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate Portable, Tokimeki Memorial 4 and Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun

(I think)

Figured I'd get some pictures of the physical games I have before it's time to start thinking about storing them. Any glaring omissions that I should look into? There is a handful of stuff I've been meaning to get for a while, like Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Judging by the genres represented you'll want Tactics Ogre: LUCT and Trails in the Sky

CrovaxPSO

Judging by the genres represented you'll want Tactics Ogre: LUCT and Trails in the Sky

I've held off on getting Trails in the Sky because of the long wait for the next game(s) to be localized. I should probably just get it though since I will eventually. I've heard good things about Tactics Ogre before so I'm not sure why I don't have that yet either.

He's got 2 Elminage games (III and Gothic), K-ON! Ho-kago Live!!, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate Portable, Tokimeki Memorial 4 and Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun

(I think)

Yeah, that's what those games are. Sorry, should have said what they were in my post.

redhairedking

I get bored of playing/investing into a game for a long period of time. I love arcadey games that I can pop in for a bit play some games and hop out and do something else.

I'd suggest you give the Ys series a try. The psp games are wonderful and they are shorter RPGs (some taking only a couple hours). They are action RPGs and don't require a whole lot of investment in terms of story or grinding.

Figured I'd get some pictures of the physical games I have before it's time to start thinking about storing them. Any glaring omissions that I should look into?

Trails in the Sky? All three Ys games? Half-Minute Hero? Tactics Ogre? Gungnir? Persona 2? Growlanser? Kind of a lot, actually!

EDIT: I see you covered a few already. Seriously, though, Half-Minute Hero is the shizz.

Top Bottom