• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher - Official trailer 2. Arrives november 17th

kaskade

I really hope this ends up being good. When Daredevil first came out my first thought was that a Punisher show would be great. Then some of their other series’ released which weren’t so great making me a little worried.
Glad we finally have a date, Netflix had their originals for november dates announced yesterday and this was listed but with a TBD for the exact date. At that point I was thinking they would just drop it some random day.

Eh... I liked the first trailer better, and Karen is going to make this worse. She should have sworn off of him for good after the end of S2, yet she still is hanging around him while criticizing Matt?

Thomas Jane will forever be my Punisher.

Vastly underrated film.

The decision to have them kill his entire family at a reunion was insane but effective.

That literally gave him nowhere to go but full-on psycho executioner.

I even liked the country music-playing assassin. :)

Vastly underrated film.

The decision to have them kill his entire family at a reunion was insane but effective.

That literally gave him nowhere to go but full-on psycho executioner.

I even liked the country music-playing assassin. :)

The Punisher and War Zone are both very underrated comic book movies. I'll admit War Zone isn't all that great but it's probably the closest I've seen a comic movie ever get to it's source material in terms of tone and presentation. But then again I've always been more of a Punisher MAX kinda guy; I don't really like the idea of a "super hero" version of the Punisher, nor do I think the Punisher makes a lot of sense in a world that has real super heroes in it. His brand of heroism really works best when he still holds the moral high ground in spite of his actions and that doesn't work when you have guys like Captain America hanging around who can do the same things without killing anyone.

As far as this trailer goes it's decent but I'm still weirded out about Frank not serving in Vietnam anymore. I know Vietnam at this point is so far in the past that anyone who actually served there is too old to be an action hero vigilante but it wasn't just the scene, it was the context of the war and the mythology surrounding it via pop culture and such that played into his character. Similar to how Magneto can't ever really NOT be a Holocaust survivor or Captain America a WW2 vet I'm not sure Frank can ever really be separated from Vietnam no matter how unrealistic it may be.

The Punisher and War Zone are both very underrated comic book movies. I'll admit War Zone isn't all that great but it's probably the closest I've seen a comic movie ever get to it's source material in terms of tone and presentation. But then again I've always been more of a Punisher MAX kinda guy; I don't really like the idea of a "super hero" version of the Punisher, nor do I think the Punisher makes a lot of sense in a world that has real super heroes in it. His brand of heroism really works best when he still holds the moral high ground in spite of his actions and that doesn't work when you have guys like Captain America hanging around who can do the same things without killing anyone.

As far as this trailer goes it's decent but I'm still weirded out about Frank not serving in Vietnam anymore. I know Vietnam at this point is so far in the past that anyone who actually served there is too old to be an action hero vigilante but it wasn't just the scene, it was the context of the war and the mythology surrounding it via pop culture and such that played into his character. Similar to how Magneto can't ever really NOT be a Holocaust survivor or Captain America a WW2 vet I'm not sure Frank can ever really be separated from Vietnam no matter how unrealistic it may be.

MAX was Ennis' Punisher, which is still the best and darkest Punisher to date, IMO.

not feeling the villains and the angle on it.

Punisher was better when it was about taking down organized crime

He actually had an entire arc in The Punisher MAX dedicated to taking down some corrupt U.S. Generals and at one point fighting an entire U.S. Special Forces unit. He went out of his way to not kill any of the soldiers (like police, if he can help it) but the Generals absolutely go what was coming to them.

ShadyK54

Glad we finally have a release date. Really excited for this one.

Stranger Things & this within several weeks of each other, oh boy.

Looks good. I always preferred the randomness of violence element when it came to Castle's family's death versus the targeted hit, mostly because it gave an element of "You'll never catch them all".

But this looks fantastic

Please please please be good. Netflix Marvel quality has been gradually dropping, but DDS2's Punisher storyline was the exception. Not sure how I feel about altering the origin story.

Anung

Un Rama
Ughhhhh. I was hoping they wouldn't go down a "Frank's family dying was a conspiracy" route. It just being a senseless act of violence is more powerful I think.

Still even with my deflated hype in the Netflix MCU I still have high hopes for this being good.

Looks okay but I'll wait for the reviews considering the last few Marvel shows. Plus I'm not really in a Punisher mood right now.
Wasn't there a Max Payne trailer with the same music? I kept thinking about it lol, but I might be misremembering.

Ughhhhh. I was hoping they wouldn't go down a "Frank's family dying was a conspiracy" route. It just being a senseless act of violence is more powerful I think.

Yep. It's like in Burton's Batman with Joker killing the Waynes. It's not nearly as interesting. We'll see how they'll handle it though.

Looks okay but I'll wait for the reviews considering the last few Marvel shows. Plus I'm not really in a Punisher mood right now.
Wasn't there a Max Payne trailer with the same music? I kept thinking about it lol, but I might be misremembering.

Yep. It's like in Burton's Batman with Joker killing the Waynes. It's not nearly as interesting. We'll see how they'll handle it though.

Pretty sure it was Marilyn Manson's "If I Was Your Vampire"

Also, does the present time of this take place after Daredevil S2?

Looks like it jumps around to his past. But, the modern stuff is definitely after Daredevil. Karen, the skull vest, and people referring to him as The Punisher makes that clear.

They shouldn't be... He was handled perfectly in Season 2 of Daredevil.

Yep. His part of Daredevil S2 was up there with Season 1 in quality. The Elektra episodes are when it went to shit. This is looking fucking awesome.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I need another Punisher hallway scene
daredevil-punisher-seven-minutes-in-heaven.jpg

J_Viper

Damn, that's a good day for comic fans

Berthal is the man, so for his sake, I hope the writing, budget, and action is done well in this series.

I loved Bernthal’s role in DDS2, so I’ll watch this in due deference. Really getting tired of the Netflix Marvel stuff though honestly. Defenders was a massive let down.

I loved Bernthal’s role in DDS2, so I’ll watch this in due deference. Really getting tired of the Netflix Marvel stuff though honestly. Defenders was a massive let down.

I absolutely loved the first season of Daredevil, and the first half of S2. I haven't liked anything else. This has me hyped, though. Hope it turns out as good as the trailers make it look.

It does share continuity with all the MCU Netflix shows. You absolutely don't need to watch Iron Fist in advance for this, but this show will reveal a major spoiler from the end of The Defenders very early on, so take that as you will.
Meh who cares Defenders is dookie
Just read the wiki or something

Simo

Finally a date! Still looking promising.

A review actually surfaced last week that i posted in the other trailer thread. Here it is for those that night of missed it.
UK magazine, SFX, has a review in their new issue of the complete season. Reviewer rated 4.5 out of 5.

Some points from the review.
  • "This is as hard boiled as on-screen Marvel has been, which is great if you like designer violence, but surely there's more to the show than that? Well...yes. A lot more."
  • More praises for Bernthal as Frank as well as the rest of the cast particularly Micro and Lewis, "a deranged former Marine".
  • Review mentions how better paced the 11 episodes are over most Netflix shows.
  • Negatives for the reviewer is how the final episodes turn into nothing but mostly a "bloodbath". They also took issue with Frank's "code" in how in one instance he's worried taking out soldiers just doing their job and in the next happily slaughtering private contractors.
  • "It's also annoying that the only anti-gun voice in the entire thing is a odius slimeball."

Final verdict.
A well-crafted, hugely entertaining series, even if It's own attitude towards violence is deeply, deeply muddled.

Again the review mentions that if you base your enjoyment over particular political views, you'll probably see the series as a thinly veiled ad for the NRA.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Marvel TV shows are rapid-fire these days

Nov. 3: Seventh episode of Inhumans airs on ABC (and Thor: Ragnarok debuts in theaters)
Nov. 10: Last episode of Inhumans airs on ABC
Nov. 17: 13 episodes of The Punisher go up on Netflix
Nov. 24: 13 episodes of Runaways go up on Hulu
Dec. 1: Agents of SHIELD season five premieres on ABC

Every Friday, new Marvel stuff, it's pretty cool ... even if we have to suffer through four more weeks of Inhumans to get to the better stuff.

[edit] I guess Runaways is actually Tuesday., Nov. 21, and it streams one episode per week.

Top Bottom