• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resistance: Avalon [mafia?] |OT| I Put on my Robe and Wizard Hat

Rynam

Finally an approved Proposal again.
Let's hope the quest is succesful so we can win this game on the next quest phase with the same team +1

TheExodu5

Banned
Well. I still can't be sure I picked the right team, but hopefully I got lucky.

In the case that I didn't, we're going to need to get it right next time.

It's still worth discussing why people rejected it or approved it. I see no reason to assume we've won, even if the votes look damning at the moment.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm mostly interested in what Kalor and Rynam have to say.

Palmer/Czar/ultron87 input is good as well, but you were all on the team and it's no surprise that you would approve it. Ultron87 has been rather quiet though...I would like to know why you approved this team.

Kalor

I approved it because I sort of trust the people on the team. I'm still unsure on Ultron but I'd rather test him now than later.

ultron87

I'm definitely not totally sure on this squad, especially CzarTim, but I also don't have great feelings about LoC who would've picked next. And I'd rather get to put in a proposal for Quest 4, than use the hammer to pick a pretty similar team than what this one would've been.

Palmer_v1

I'm definitely not totally sure on this squad, especially CzarTim, but I also don't have great feelings about LoC who would've picked next. And I'd rather get to put in a proposal for Quest 4, than use the hammer to pick a pretty similar team than what this one would've been.

This was largely my logic. I would have picked a similar team, and I didn't want LoC to have a chance at team 4, nor Ultron for Team 5. I'm fine with them being T1 and T2 on the next one though.

Notice I said I would approve it before actually rejecting it? It was an attempt to bait scum.

But in the case that 4/5 of the remaining town is on that team, then good job. If this one passes then Quest 4 is guaranteed to succeed.

TheExodu5

Banned
So if this Succeeds, who do we add?

If it fails... I don't even have an idea of what to change.

If it succeeds, it doesn't really matter who we add, since scum needs 2 fails next quest.

If it fails, we're back to square one. I'm somewhat leaning towards Kalor being scum and L_P being town despite this latest vote, due to the first vote. I'd probably swap Ultron for L_P and hope for the best.

Quest 3 has SUCCEEDED.

Lord of Castamere now has 48 hours to submit a team of five players for approval.

Note: Evil will have to submit two "Fails" to successfully sabotage Quest 4.

The proposal phase for Quest 4, Proposal 1 has ended. The proposed team is TheExodu5, ultron87, Palmer_v1, CzarTim and Rynam. You all have 24 hours to approve or reject this team. Please PM me your votes and refrain from posting here until time is over.

red_1452801600.png

Droplet

Lord of Castamere was happy.

All throughout the castle halls there was a buzz of anticipation. If the quest had succeeded, it would be the final one. Peace would be restored to Avalon, and perhaps someday those that resided there might all be able to return to Camelot. The remaining knights had gathered in the main hall together to wait for the news together. Nervous as they were, they had confidence that this was a quest that could not be failed.

And so it was. The questgoers kicked open the door, Holy Grail in hand and raised far above their heads. The hall cheered, and Lone_Prodigy stood up and shouted in celebration. But he was alone, and as he cast his eyes down to see if the other knights around him were too cheering, he noticed quite the change in them.

kingkitty, Kalor, UltraJay, and Lord of Castamere sat staring at each other grimly. Their eyes seemed to change from the bright ones of fresh-faced knights to those of weathered soldiers, and they all seemed to conspicuously have replaced their armor with black hoods. Quietly, they nodded.

By now the attention of the entire hall was on these black hooded figures. kingkitty was the first to stand up.

"Merlin!" he shouted. "I know your identity! Prepare to die." He pulled out a knife from somewhere in his hood and pointed it towards the group. I assume there were some sewn in pockets in there.

The quest group took a step back. Merlin was among them? But who?

TheExodu5 took a step forward. "You are correct! It is I, Merlin!" he shouted. He donned his robe and wizard hat, and looked quite fierce in it. And perhaps a little too dashing. Perhaps he should have grown a beard, he thought.

UltraJay stood up. "If you are Merlin, than who am I?"

"You are Morg- oh, shit."

"Ha!" yelled kingkitty. "I had no idea of this until right now, but now I do know and that doesn't help me in the slightest! Prepare to die, Rynam!"

Rynam took a step back. "Wait no," he pleaded. "There's no way I'm Merlin! I didn't correctly guess all of the good people or anything!"

TheExodu5 turned around.

"Are...you kidding me?"

With that, Rynam took two more steps back, then quickly moved to a full on sprint. He'd dashed about halfway through the halls when he realized he could use magic.

"Prepare yourself, cat!" he yelled, as he began to cast his spell.

kingkitty was, in fact, prepared. He pulled out a match. Then he pulled out some gasoline. And finally, he pulled out a blowtorch.

"Can't cast magic if I burn the place down and kill everyone!" he responded.

The other Minions of Mordred, Kalor and Ultrajay, had up until this point, been for the most part watching tacitly. But at this strange turn, they began to yell to kingkitty absurdities like "stop!" and "you're not supposed to kill us too!". The other knights and people in the hall protested too, as kingkitty was really only supposed to be killing Merlin. But kingkitty turned a blind eye to all of them as he doused the hall in gasoline and lit the match.

But it was okay. In the end, Lord of Castamere was happy.

He grinned to himself. He knew Rynam was Merlin. Victory was in the bag.

"Finally," he whispered to himself. Smoke filled the halls and wrapped around him. "Finally, 1 for-."

"Actually," said an uninvited man in a beanie who had stopped screaming for just a second. "I would consider this a mini-game personally. The mini-game status isn't so much about the timeframe to me but the type of game. This isn't really a "mafia" game as close as it may be."

As the halls and everyone inside began to burn, Lord of Castamere began to feel his elation die down. It might have had something to do with the whole burning thing, but probably not.

"Not even a real victory," he sighed.

Lord of Castamere was sad.

kingkitty and the rest of the Evil team have correctly deduced the identity of Merlin, and have therefore won the game! Congrats Evil!

Roles:
Merlin: Rynam
Percival: TheExodu5
Loyal Servants of Arthur: Lone_Prodigy, Palmer_v1, CzarTim, ultron87
The Assassin: kingkitty
Morgana: UltraJay
Minions of Mordred: Kalor, Lord of Castamere

Minion chat: http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/xeL3f44TEg5

TheExodu5

Banned
Good game. I had fun.

Figured we were boned on Merlin. I did try to make it seem as though I was coming up with fake theories to make me seem like a more experienced Merlin, but yeah, Rynam picking 6 town was too much.

As a heads up to new Merlins, you should probably never make your votes and picks that flawless.

Sorian

Banned
That man in the beanie really gets around in all of this flavor. He's been to so many worlds.

Grats to both teams, scum for the win and town for playing excellently.

Kalor

That was a fun game and I would be interested in playing again if we did it. It was a nice change in pace compared to regular Avalon or Mafia.

Though I agree that LoC that it is a bit of a hollow victory. It was clear from Rynam's first proposal that he had some kind of knowledge or luck.

ultron87

Whelp. Good game! Yeah, that's probably gonna happen a lot in this format of the game till people get used to it, and especially used to playing Merlin. Really need to be careful when everything is on record and you're not depending on people's memories.

CzarTim

2 things I'd suggest for future games:

Don't let scum talk pre-game. And if a team is rejected, have subsequent team proposals be 24 hours rather than the full 48. Felt like we lost momentum.

TheExodu5

Banned
If we play again, I would definitely tweak things and add more roles. I mostly have experience with 6-8 player games, so it's a bit hard to figure out the balance for 10 players.

Sadly, it takes a good 3-4 games to really get the balance right in my experience.

Lady of the lake would be very interesting for 10 players, but would probably slow things down a lot. Might want to skip that for a forum game.

I'd say the balance is a bit evil shifted in this format.

The first thing I would change is not allow the evil team to discuss strategy beforehand. This completely eliminates a dimension from the game, as it's a very valid tactic to throw several minions on a team for a potential double fail.

Besides that, you could add Oberon and possibly Mordred, but I'd probably stick to one change per game.

My reads were garbage. What made Rynam stand out as Merlin? His relative inactivity (I think I only saw him make proposals)?

EDIT: Just wanted to say thanks to Rats and Droplet for running a very punctual game, and congrats to the scum team. Apologies to town for seeming so belligerent; I was operating on the fact that it wasn't conventional Mafia and I could post whatever I want without fear of being voted out.

TheExodu5

Banned
My reads were garbage. What made Rynam stand out as Merlin? His relative inactivity (I think I only saw him make proposals)?

He passed any team with only town on it. He rejected any team with scum on it. He picked no less than all 6 town players when making his team.

Sorian

Banned

His proposal was very random at the time it was made and it was conveniently all good players. The proposal itself did jump out to me though I'll admit, I had stopped caring about Merlin's identity about halfway through so I didn't connect the dots.

TheExodu5

Banned
2 things I'd suggest for future games:

Don't let scum talk pre-game. And if a team is rejected, have subsequent team proposals be 24 hours rather than the full 48. Felt like we lost momentum.

Those changes sound perfect.

Also, I wouldn't bother creating a separate chat at all. Minions should discuss in the main thread post game. That makes the wait for the end more enjoyable and suspenseful for the rest of us.

Palmer_v1

Oh they were communicating the entire time? There's no way that works for this game. I thought a pre-game chat was bad enough.

I also just generally dislike Merlin It's too swingy. I'm a big fan of Oberon though, and the Lady of the Lake, though they swing it to Town's favor a bit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Merlin and the assassin are essential. Otherwise, it's Resistance, and not Avalon. In a 10 player game scum won't be winning by sheer luck.

I think the setup was perfect. Just eliminate scum chat and tighten up the pace of the game and I think it will be spot on.

Sorian

Banned
Oh they were communicating the entire time? There's no way that works for this game. I thought a pre-game chat was bad enough.

I also just generally dislike Merlin It's too swingy. I'm a big fan of Oberon though, and the Lady of the Lake, though they swing it to Town's favor a bit.

No, they only communicated pre-game and "post-game"

The post-game portion was just to discuss Merlin.

ultron87

Yeah, no pre-game chat. Mostly because I want to see what the forum version of trying to clandestinely signal "I'M THE ONE WHO IS FAILING" is.

EDIT: Just wanted to say thanks to Rats and Droplet for running a very punctual game, and congrats to the scum team. Apologies to town for seeming so belligerent; I was operating on the fact that it wasn't conventional Mafia and I could post whatever I want without fear of being voted out.

Heres my extended post from the other side.

It's not just the voting habits that bothered me. Look at page 4, for example.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162511&page=4

He posts his proposal. 4 town sit on it. 3 new members. Kalor and I say we'll reject. Time gap. Palmer says he'll reject. Another gap. Rynam responds only to Palmer, and offers to switch Exdou out with the 2 remaining town. He correctly choose 6 town. He's either a God teir reader or Merlin.

Then later the only post he makes during Ultrajays proposal is to say that Kalor is scum, and that he'll reject the proposal.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191665706&postcount=276

Next he comes back to correct Exdou on me being the hammer. Saying that Ultron was instead. Nervous?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191859839&postcount=290

Last post, he seems pretty damn convinced this quest will succeed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191999588&postcount=301

I kinda hope I'm wrong tbh. Feels too easy.

TheExodu5

Banned
For anyone playing Merlin in the future:

Your first priority is to not be seen as Merlin. Only then can you use your knowledge to swing discussion or votes without rousing suspicion. It's very difficult. I'm actually a terrible Merlin.

Droplet

Well, I can address the separate scum chat. I like the idea of keeping the Merlin hunt separate since I don't want to tell Good "you won!" and then "just kidding" within a 24 hour period. I felt that was too long a time for them to wait, so it was easier to not announce we were even on the last quest and just to have Evil discuss it.

The pre-game chat was Rats' idea because players are normally friends who have an idea of how to interact with each other, have metas to throw fails, or at the very least can make eye contact before they do anything. I don't think this particular one helped or hurt scum in any way, but if we were to use it again I wouldn't announce the proposal list beforehand. But I think you guys can handle no chat, although the whole building camaraderie thing was nice.

And no, scum couldn't talk to each other during the actual game.

Other stuff, I'd like to put more hidden roles in the game to make Merlin less of a walking target. And I think Czar is right in making proposal phases go faster. Initially they were actually 36 hours to make sure everyone could see and comment on them, but apparently that was no good so we extended it to 48.

Palmer_v1

Merlin and the assassin are essential. Otherwise, it's Resistance, and not Avalon. In a 10 player game scum won't be winning by sheer luck.

I think the setup was perfect. Just eliminate scum chat and tighten up the pace of the game and I think it will be spot on.

I sort of prefer resistance and the mission leader cards =p

We use those WITH avalon sometimes for fun.

Palmer_v1

Well, I can address the separate scum chat. I like the idea of keeping the Merlin hunt separate since I don't want to tell Good "you won!" and then "just kidding" within a 24 hour period. I felt that was too long a time for them to wait, so it was easier to not announce we were even on the last quest and just to have Evil discuss it.

The pre-game chat was Rats' idea because players are normally friends who have an idea of how to interact with each other, have metas to throw fails, or at the very least can make eye contact before they do anything. I don't think this particular one helped or hurt scum in any way, but if we were to use it again I wouldn't announce the proposal list beforehand. But I think you guys can handle no chat, although the whole building camaraderie thing was nice.

And no, scum couldn't talk to each other during the actual game.

Other stuff, I'd like to put more hidden roles in the game to make Merlin less of a walking target. And I think Czar is right in making proposal phases go faster. Initially they were actually 36 hours to make sure everyone could see and comment on them, but apparently that was no good so we extended it to 48.

BTW, in the midst of all this, I discovered that BGG has an entire play by forum area for resistance and avalon, including tournaments and shit. Might want to poke your head in there to see how they do some things.

Sorian

Banned
For anyone playing Merlin in the future:

Your first priority is to not be seen as Merlin. Only then can you use your knowledge to swing discussion or votes without rousing suspicion. It's very difficult. I'm actually a terrible Merlin.

Merlin sounds like the hardest thing ever to play. Props to Rynam regardless for being cursed/awarded with that role first in gafia. Experimental nature oif this on the forums aside, he had a lot of meta that he had to try to work with from nothing.

TheExodu5

Banned
BTW, in the midst of all this, I discovered that BGG has an entire play by forum area for resistance and avalon, including tournaments and shit. Might want to poke your head in there to see how they do some things.

Yeah I saw that as well. They had some ridiculous 10 player game with Lady of the Lake, and two roles/aspects I have never heard of: Excalibur and Gallahad.

Top Bottom