• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resistance: Avalon [mafia?] |OT| I Put on my Robe and Wizard Hat

roytheone

LoC won a game! I've requested a GAFIA announcement of this fact.

We actually discussed this in the spec thread, and we came to the conclusion that this is more like a minigame like those vigilante games Burb ran than an actual 4.5 game. So LoC streak is not yet broken!

Sorian

Banned
We actually discussed this in the spec thread, and we came to the conclusion that this is more like a minigame like those vigilante games Burb ran than an actual 4.5 game. So LoC streak is not yet broken!

Roy coming in with that swift kick to the ribs while the man is down.

Palmer_v1

Yeah I saw that as well. They had some ridiculous 10 player game with Lady of the Lake, and two roles/aspects I have never heard of: Excalibur and Gallahad.

Gallahad and Excalibur are new to me as well. I guess it's a promo role they gave out at cons or something?

I'm trying to acquire them now.

Edit:

Yeah, being Merlin is rough. You kind of need a good Percival who can really sell that they're Merlin instead, but Morgana of course, confuses the issue.

I mentioned it in thread, but there were times where I felt pretty good about what was happening, but couldn't post for fear of that outing Merlin. Any role speculation at all is bad for Merlin.

ultron87

Gallahad and Excalibur are new to me as well. I guess it's a promo role they gave out at cons or something?

I'm trying to acquire them now.

They're from the Kickstarter. Indie Boards and Card constantly pulls crap like that with their Kickstarters. It is annoying.

Palmer_v1

I saw he gets a win.

Anyway, did any of the new players have general questions? Does it make more sense now why Ultron and I were rejecting teams even though we really had no information?

They're from the Kickstarter. Indie Boards and Card constantly pulls crap like that with their Kickstarters. It is annoying.

Oh, super lame then. I kinda hate the way kickstarter is causing more board games to do this.

Edit:

Where's Spectator chat? Did i miss the link?

Droplet

Hm, I think Zatoth actually mentioned the BGG Avalon threads a while ago. Maybe that would be a good place to look, but I think we did a decent (?) job trying to adapt the game for Gafia.

By the way, I want to thank all the players for taking the chance to play what was mostly just an experimental game. I'm glad some of you had fun. If we ever run this again, I hope we can make it the most fun!

Uh, someone can ping ynny or retro to make the spectator thread public I guess. I've got some stuff to do.

Sorian

Banned
I was surprised that early teams were passing so easily. Three town on the first quest really surprised me when I got spoiled in the spec thread, everyone could have rejected that with the only reasoning being "wanted to get more reads"

I wouldn't do the pre-game chat again. Fortunately it didn't seem to dramatically impact this particular session, but it does eliminate a strategic element from the game. I really just wanted the Evil players to be somewhat familiar with each other going in, but that probably wasn't necessary in the end.

What did you guys think of 6 Good and 4 Evil? The rule of thumb for balance is "33% Evil, rounded up" so I wonder if the math would work out better in a 9-player game.

Sorry that I lost it for town. I'm bad at this type of game :(

You had the toughest role by far, and this was your first time. Don't feel bad.

UltraJay

Good game. I had fun.

Figured we were boned on Merlin. I did try to make it seem as though I was coming up with fake theories to make me seem like a more experienced Merlin, but yeah, Rynam picking 6 town was too much.

As a heads up to new Merlins, you should probably never make your votes and picks that flawless.

I saw those theories. We all agreed that it was you trying to throw us off. It made more sense for you to be Percival if we take into consideration the fact that didn't put Morgana or Merlin into your proposed team at the beginning. You also changed you mind on me pretty quickly. You went from reading town on me (which surprised me because no one else did) to scum. Looked like a Percival move.

Rynam was such a perfect choice we were hesitant to pick him because it seemed too good to be true.

After this I don't know if I like this game at all or not, but I just saw the Cooptional Podcast play Secret Hitler (made by the guys from Cards Against Humanity) and that looks fun. I might want to run a game like that but it would work better in Tabletop Simulator or just plain Skype. Latency issues from me being in Australia wouldn't affect Skype too much but may be a problem for Tabletop Simulator. Plus we'd need more people to own that game.

roytheone

Nice to there was an emergency meeting of the gafia tribunal to decide if my dreams would come true or be crushed.

You don't know it, but there is a permanent tribunal in place which job is to determine the best ways to crush your dreams. Those are also the guys that decided to randomly kill me and exodu5 in HP after you got hope about actually winning that game.

Palmer_v1

I saw those theories. We all agreed that it was you trying to throw us off. It made more sense for you to be Percival if we take into consideration the fact that didn't put Morgana or Merlin into your proposed team at the beginning. You also changed you mind on me pretty quickly. You went from reading town on me (which surprised me because no one else did) to scum. Looked like a Percival move.

Rynam was such a perfect choice we were hesitant to pick him because it seemed too good to be true.

After this I don't know if I like this game at all or not, but I just saw the Cooptional Podcast play Secret Hitler (made by the guys from Cards Against Humanity) and that looks fun. I might want to run a game like that but it would work better in Tabletop Simulator or just plain Skype. Latency issues from me being in Australia wouldn't affect Skype too much but may be a problem for Tabletop Simulator. Plus we'd need more people to own that game.

Czartim and I have considered Secret Hitler. From what he told me, it might run smoother than Avalon/Resistance, but is still very similar.

TheExodu5

Banned
What did you guys think of 6 Good and 4 Evil? The rule of thumb for balance is "33% Evil, rounded up" so I wonder if the math would work out better in a 9-player game.

You had the toughest role by far, and this was your first time. Don't feel bad.

6-3 is more scum sided since there's no double fail needed for mission 4 I believe, and there's less chance of double scum on a team.

6-4 is fine as long as you don't let evil chat beforehand.

Top Bottom