• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rogue Prince of Persia Announced | Coming out in Early Access May 14

Draugoth

Gold Member
GK0j1AfXAAApj-C

GK0jvJcXwAAsDKs

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What’s up with these 2D Prince of Persia games coming out lately? I mean, I’m down. This looks pretty cool.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Why does it look so odd? Dead Cells looked good, this looks from the beginning like nobody really wanted to make the game.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I literally just played through the game on GameCube last week. There is already a remaster. What are you asking for exactly?
I'm asking for this:

Will-Smith-meme-4.png

And good for you, unfortunately Prince of Persia Trilogy 3D is not on PC so we are fucked with that old version which is a pain in the ass to run correctly (played them 2 years ago ;) )

Sands of Time posts are the port-begging of PoP threads.

I'm glad Rayman fans didn't do this when that series had a 2-D renaissance.

I've played a ton of them, not much difference just slight variations in abilities tbh
If that's how you feel then how do you even enjoy video games?

With your take you could say First Person Shooters are all left trigger/right trigger games with slight variations in abilities.

tmlDan

If that's how you feel then how do you even enjoy video games?

With your take you could say First Person Shooters are all left trigger/right trigger games with slight variations in abilities.
I feel like that about a lot of games with no stories.

I don't play shooters very often and when i do its for the story, if it has any, and they also have a ton of variation due to them having a competitive angle via MP - I wasn't even calling out the amount of buttons you press fyi. Side-scrollers don't really have stories and usually don't have MP, and if they do its pretty terrible. They also don't necessarily feel good the majority of the time but there are rare exceptions.

Again, I'm talking about this game, there are thousands of games just like this one, it looks like an average side-scroller like the millions of indie side-scrollers on steam.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah really not fan of the art style, game like this makes appreciate how much work Vanillaware puts in their both character design and background art even have proper lighting.

large.jpg

Also whats this obsession with indie devs to make every game to roguelite? Is it because its cheaper to make?

Last edited:
I feel like that about a lot of games with no stories.

I don't play shooters very often and when i do its for the story, if it has any, and they also have a ton of variation due to them having a competitive angle via MP - I wasn't even calling out the amount of buttons you press fyi. Side-scrollers don't really have stories and usually don't have MP, and if they do its pretty terrible. They also don't necessarily feel good the majority of the time but there are rare exceptions.

Again, I'm talking about this game, there are thousands of games just like this one, it looks like an average side-scroller like the millions of indie side-scrollers on steam.
I was using the left trigger/right trigger as an example, not as a reason. Also I was pointing out that your argument can be used for literally any genre so the following post doesn't make sense:

Honestly, there are so many of these side scrollers im not sure why people still play them.
You could replace the word 'side scrollers' with any other genre and the take would 99% remain the same.

There is even something to be said about the game series your avatar is from, but it would be reductive to that series for me to boil it down to 'same thing, different numbered title' for Yakuza. You and I both know that's not fair to say about the I.P.

tmlDan

I was using the left trigger/right trigger as an example, not as a reason. Also I was pointing out that your argument can be used for literally any genre so the following post doesn't make sense:

You could replace the word 'side scrollers' with any other genre and the take would 99% remain the same.

There is even something to be said about the game series your avatar is from, but it would be reductive to that series for me to boil it down to 'same thing, different numbered title' for Yakuza. You and I both know that's not fair to say about the I.P.
Well, you have to put it into the context of the thread, its about the extremely generic game above and games like them.

And as I said, there are variations to the story which i enjoy even if it generally has similar combat - hence the variation and curiosity + enjoyment (Yakuza).

I mean, it's not just me, none of these games sell that well. Look at PoP, the same will happen to Zau that's why its free/on a sub service.

CamHostage

Did the Dead Cells team fire their artists?
Also Motion Twin is the og Dead Cells devs. These guys helped with the dlc and thats it. Ill pass.

Motion Twin made the original game. (And by Motion Twin, it was mostly conceived by Sébastien Benard and artist Thomas Vasseur; Benard is not involved anymore with Motion Twin or Evil Empire and has his own studio which recently released a game called Nuclear Blaze; Vasseur still works at Motion Twin, which isn't the company behind this PoP game, they're doing a new game called WindBlown.) Evil Empire made the follow-up releases of the game, including its DLC.

What happened was Motion Twin (at that time) was used to making Flash and other smaller games that iterated out of game jams and released quickly and in rapid succession, but others in the team thought there was a future in supporting Dead Cells with ongoing content. So to work all angles, Evil Empire was spun out of MT (and Bernard worked with them for some time and also directly managed 2 of the DLCs) and they continued long-term support of the game, while MT went onto its next game, then eventually Bernard went his own way.

Evil Empire is the team making this new PoP game.

(Bernard was heavy into the shaded-pixel-style graphic approach and has released a level maker and engine built around this technology/art approach. He still uses that design style and even the same engine. If you think of Motion Twin as one graphic style, you're probably thinking of his engine's approach to visual output.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom