• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rogue Prince of Persia Announced | Coming out in Early Access May 14

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Time to not be able to have good brown peoples again, lol, let's make Persian folks purple! Lol, I thought it's a weird choice given the obvious themes before they even revealed it's freaking PoP! Gameplay looks alright but roguelite is dubious and the art style is off putting and not charming, meh.

Last edited:

Fbh

Does Ubisoft have some internal mandate that PoP MUST use the ugliest art styles or something?
We went from price of the zoomers to what looks like a 2006 flash game with a resetera colour palette

At least the gameplay looks pretty fun.

Well, you have to put it into the context of the thread, its about the extremely generic game above and games like them.

And as I said, there are variations to the story which i enjoy even if it generally has similar combat - hence the variation and curiosity + enjoyment (Yakuza).

I mean, it's not just me, none of these games sell that well. Look at PoP, the same will happen to Zau that's why its free/on a sub service.
There are plenty of 2D sidescrollers, roguelites, and metroidvanias that sell well. Hell, we see their sales accolades on steam and when they announce a new edition of their game or sequel. The benefit is that they also don't need to sell 30 million or more like much bigger budget products to be considered a success, since a simple 100k to 500k in sales usually works for most of them. PoP Lost Crown didn't sell well because it was priced way too high on launch, and that's what I would consider the real problem with certain high profile platformers.

Devs and publishers have to come to terms with the fact that the genre itself should not be anywhere near full price. PoP Lost Crown will find it's footing later in it's life cycle when it's cheaper, because critically it reviewed really well both from a user perspective and a critic perspective.

My hope is that this game doesn't repeat the same pricing mistake, but knowing Ubisoft they will probably attempt it.

midnightAI

Doesn't look as bad in motion as the still picture led me to believe but still looks like an old flash game. Being roguelike is still the no buy reason for me so the art style doesn't matter.

It looks like fun little game really, but I don't like the art style

intbal

Art style looks too clean. Needs some grain and shit.
You're right. A small amount of grain enhances the appearance of depth in the image.
qhy3xHh.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The two first games on DOS looked better than this or, at least, had waaay more style to it.

Also, why is he pink?

Could be fun, looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots. Though I'm not sure why he's purple instead of human colored.

StereoVsn

Not a fan of the art style or the whole rogue lite approach. Seems kind of mid.

Why can’t Ubi do a 2D title with a good art style lately. The other PoP game also kind of sucked from they perspective.

Wonko_C

Roguelite = No thanks. If they're already doing a sidescroller, can we get one in the vein of the original, rotoscoped animations and all? I liked the deliberate, methodic pacing of those, especially the SNES version which had fantastic music, and superb animation. Give me 20 stages and a 2-hour time limit before Jaffar achieves his ambition or something.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
look like a low budget AA game from some new founded game studio

Pejo

The gameplay looks decent, shame it's roguelike. A well crafted game with proper level design and jumping puzzles would have been cool. I feel like a 2D Rayman died for this somehow.

Hate the art style, and there were a surprising amount of stutters in the gameplay video considering the meager visuals.

Maybe at a deep sale someday or in a bundle, that's my final verdict.

FeralEcho

Modern Ubi saw all the woke purple haired freaks and went a step further and instead of just messing up the Prince by making his hair purple they made his entire body purple and also half his kingdom.Prince of Prunes.

Anyway this looks absolutely terrible from an artistic and graphical standpoint. An AI might do a better job then whatever the hell this is.

kunonabi

Woof, not digging the art and animation at all. Also kind of wished it played more like classic Pop. The roguelite thing also would made more sense with the original premise of making your way through the palace.

All that said I hated how Double Dragon looked and that ended up as my GOTY so who knows.

Wonko_C

Has this been mentioned? The Prince's skin color is similar to the color he had in the original game's 4-color mode. Coincidence? If not, that's a nice nostalgic touch.

Still don't like how it looks, though. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom