• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sad reality of other country`s videogame prices

That is crazyness. However I want people to reflect over their complaints from Australia/West/North Europe. You shouldn't complain because our wages are always much higher than lets say in an Latin American country or most parts of the world. It cost around I guess 80 euros for new games here, but it is acceptable and reasonable due to how much higher salary is. People forget that games technically if you were to compare to average wages in the US than lets say Norway is more expensive for the average consumer in the US due to how much less they earn on average.

SILVO

Banned
Gotta love living in Asia (excluding Japan). Games are "free", or if you're stupid enough to actually go to a store to get them, $7 or $8 max.

lazyAna

Banned
in Portugal is the same 70€ at release, but the prices don't seem to drop...
a friend of mine got luky and bought super mario galaxy 2 for 30€ because the price was mistaken!
amazon.co.uk for me!!

RaGe_pt

lazyAna said:
in Portugal is the same 70€ at release, but the prices don't seem to drop...
a friend of mine got luky and bought super mario galaxy 2 for 30€ because the price was mistaken!
amazon.co.uk for me!!

Yeah, our country practices those horrible prices :s. Ebay.co.uk and amazon for me too :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SILVO said:
Gotta love living in Asia (excluding Japan). Games are "free", or if you're stupid enough to actually go to a store to get them, $7 or $8 max.
We know about piracy, friend. Advocating it is a bannable offense.

Ricker

I am pissed when I see a game I want,like Crackdown 2,and it`s 69 bucks before taxes up here in Canada,so I sympathise with you for sure...180 bucks for a DS game??? that`s almost illegal.

Eliciel

Yesterday, I bought:

Yakuza 3: 19 €
Dragon Age Origins: 21€
Resident Evil 5: 15€
Uncharted 1: 13€

I think I wouldn't buy more than 1-2 games a year (and more likely games like Final Fantasy XIII or Dragon Age).

120-180 US $ is way too overpriced for my taste. I would refuse buying games like God of War 3, or Uncharted 2 for such high price...

Anything below 40-50 hours is not worth this price if you play games really slow and enjoy them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Time to start PC gaming and getting a US/UK gifting buddy. 12.50 US for Resident Evil 5! :lol

Rafaelcsa

Yep, in Brazil the situation is just as bad or even worse. I hope that someday platform holders and publishers will wake up to this situation and realize how much more money they could be making if the game market in South America was reasonable. The potential is huge, as evidenced by how many PC gamers we have here. I know it's not really publisher's faults that things are the way they are, but they could still pressure our governments to do something about it. I know that Nintendo tried it here in Brazil, but I don't think it was enough and I'm not sure if Sony, MS or other publishers actually give a shit. They could be making so much more money, it's not even funny.

Here in Brazil:

Mass Effect 2 / R$220,00 = U$122,22
Metal Gear Solid 4 / R$249,00 = U$138,33
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe / R$289,00 = U$160,55
Guitar Hero 5 Bundle with Guitar / R$599 = U$332,77

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario Galaxy retairs for $999 MXN, about $80 USD. One of the reasons why I haven't bought the game. But with importers, the price is of $800 MXN, about $60 USD.

But, steam, I love! (Same price as the US, at the same dates and library).

SalsaShark said:
Ok, So ive decided to show GAF a little bit about the videogame situation on the country i live in (Uruguay).

It is almost impossible, or unthinkable for a person who knows better, to buy games and consoles around here. I dont really remember how it was around my childhood, or how much my parents paid for my SNES and MegaDrive, but somehow down the road, it just got fucking insane.

It even applies to older games.

All of those prices are USD.

I can do with the huge delays, or some games never making it over here, but this is just sad.

I mostly get through buying things on travels, having relatives that live elsewhere sending me games. Buying from online stores and paying shipment (even this is a lot cheaper), or digital distribution. My Wii is from Spain, my DS is from the US. (You dont wanna know about console prices here, believe me)

The gaming communities over here are mostly PC-based. Wich im totally fine with since i game a lot on my PC. Thing is this sort of pricing of course leads to some piracy. People selling cheap pirated copies on the streets and stuff.

I really love Steam for changing this situation a bit. It really is the digital distribution system ive gotten the most out of. A lot of my friends are really greatful too.

so, the "other countrys" instead of "my" on the thread title is because im mostly sure that im not alone. Given the different nationalities of some of GAF members im sure im not the only one who has it this bad, right ? :(

To all this (overpriced videogames, huge markups (rule of thumb is 4 times the price it costs in USA, same for consoles) add:

- The inability to legally purchase foreign currency (aka $, euros, etc) so you can't send/pay/purchase/import something on your own or send money to a friend or family that lives in the states to buy you a game at the real cost.
- A new bill that strictly prohibits to sell "viloent videogames" altogether, the bill is so vague, than any game the goverment feels like can be banned
- One of the most expensive, slow and unreliable internet services in the world

Welcome to Venezuela

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The Omega Man said:
To all this add:

- The inability to legally purchase foreign currency (aka $, euros, etc) so you can't send/pay/purchase/import something on your own or send money to a friend or family that lives in the states to buy you a game at the real cost.
- A new bill that strictly prohibits to sell "viloent videogames" altogether, the bill is so vague, than any game the goverment feels like can be banned
- One of the most expensive, slow and unreliable internet services in the world

Welcome to Venezuela
Can't you circumvent the currency thing with PayPal or something similar?

stuminus3

Wow, and here's me getting pissed that you still pay $5-$10 more in Canada even though the exchange rate is fairly close to parity these days. These prices are crazy, I couldn't even imagine.

wmat said:
Can't you circumvent the currency thing with PayPal or something similar?

No, all banks are heavily controlled by the Venezuelan government, you can't link a Venezuelan account to paypal since paypal won't be able to withdraw/convert to $ from your account.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The Omega Man said:
No, all banks are heavily controlled by the Venezuelan government, you can't link a Venezuelan account to paypal since paypal won't be able to withdraw/convert to $ from your account.
That fucking sucks, man. So I guess with foreigners, you have to trade in goats or something. Ridiculous.

Fakto

ntb825 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what causes these prices for these items? Import costs?
Easy, NO ONE BUYS Original games, so, the few places that have original games prices them as luxury items.
In Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela there is not a single official gaming software/hardware distributor/seller. The articles that are sold, even in big/important shops, are pirated.

El-Suave

Sorry to read the op, I feel for you.
Why hasn't the videogame industry set up proper distribution channels in these territories? Some of the publishers are chasing year over year growth so badly you wonder why they're not pushing the platform holders to expand their reach.
Instead they're looking for ways to milk their existing customers as much as they can.

Y-Z

Look on the bright side ;) You could import a lot of stuff from the uk/us and sell it for a "normal" price for your people and still make a few dollars on it. Like import NSMB for ds for 30 Dollars, sell for 35/40. Everyone is happy ;d

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Y-Z said:
Look on the bright side ;) You could import a lot of stuff from the uk/us and sell it for a "normal" price for your people and still make a few dollars on it. Like import NSMB for ds for 30 Dollars, sell for 35/40. Everyone is happy ;d
OMG! YOU ARE A GENIUS, NOBODY THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE!!! I'M GOING TO BE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICH!!

BigAT

I just bought Blur, a next-generation, high-end game that's barely a month old, for $12.

God bless America.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Y-Z said:
Haha so naive

Aon

As an Australian I always felt that high pricing and draconian bandwidth caps meant that I had it hard.

Any sympathy I may have garnered is now yours, OP. Keep fighting the good fight.

How exactly does it work if someone from the US wanted to sell you games and ship them to you? I'm guessing there are a lot of barriers to prevent that from being a cost effective option, but what are they?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
This is the real reason why piracy is so rampant in Latin America.

Mexico's prices aren't as exorbitant, but when freaking Super Smash Bros. Brawl costs you 800 plus pesos two years after release you know something is fucked up.

I thought 10,000 pesos was like $1, maybe you shold translate it to real money :D

isny

napkin dispenser
Naked Snake said:
People sometimes wonder why I wish to live in the USA... how about just these reasons:

1) Much higher wages
2) Way cheaper products
3) Best availability of products.

Yes, consumerism and all that.

Canada has all of that and free health care. We can also be used as a flotation device in case of an emergency.

-PXG-

FutureZombie said:
What is preventing publishers from setting up direct shipping methods to Latin America the way they ship to other countries?

Probably because the market is way too small and not worth their time (read: money).

You can find all these prices at www.sonystyle.com.br

Playstation 2 officially launched in Brazil last year for ~U$450, Sony has been nice enough to give a price cut of R$100, so right now it sells for ~U$392. The PS2 and PS3 games are really expensive too (they still don't sell the PS3 or PSP and PSP games there). If I still lived there, I probably wouldn't be a gamer at all.

K' Dash

Here in Costa Rica, one of the "retailers" we got, was pricing the launch PS3's @ USD $2000, I shit you not, and there was people paying that shit for a fucking PS3.

Games are the same, over expensive, I buy most of my shit from amazon.com, including consoles, had zero issues, just last christmas and black friday I bought like 10 360's, 3 Wii's and 6 PS3's for friends and family (their money, obvoiusly)

gunther

The biggest problem are not the uber high prices. Are the low salaries that people recieve in latin america. Here in Chile a new game cost somewhere 70-90 bucks, it is not much. Well, the ps3 at launch was 1000 bucks. The minimum wage here is around 380 bucks. Thats 3 times the minimun wage.

Top Bottom