• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scrutable West: Industry Bias, Whitewashing and the Invisible Asian in Hollywood

Slayven

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/bias-does-not-come-out-with-the-whitewash.html

Even after studying to be an English major and embarking on a career in government public relations, I don’t think I’ve ever spun as many excuses as Hollywood directors and actors when it comes to dancing around why they can’t just cast an Asian person in a role. Race-blind casting that wipes out formerly Asian characters. A blockbuster that demands an actor with sufficient star power, which axiomatically means nobody descended from the cultures on the planet’s most populous continent. A fear of making a stereotypical character—because, I mean, how can you write an Asian who isn’t a stereotype, right?

The past couple of years have brought us several object lessons in the above, and every other iteration of Hollywood’s baffling tendency to quietly fight tooth and nail not to have an Asian actor on screen. As someone of just enough Asian descent that you need to be at least Midwestern levels of racist to see it in me without me first informing you, I can’t help but notice the total lack of representation. Neither could the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights when it issued its report “Window Dressing on the Set: Women and Minorities in Television.” It issued that report in 1977. Forty years ago. In the intervening period, it’s barely gotten any better.

long article but a good read

“I had two Asians on a writing staff, and a network executive asked if I had an Asian fetish.” —Glen Mazzara, showrunner for The Walking Dead

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,” one other casting director told Yuen. “They’re very shut down in their emotions … If it’s a look thing for business where they come in they’re at a computer or if they’re like a scientist or something like that, they’ll do that; but if it’s something were they really have to act and get some kind of performance out of, it’s a challenge.”

sphagnum

Banned
“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,”

This person has never watched Asian tv or cinema, nevermind even meeting an Asian person.

JCHandsom

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,” one other casting director told Yuen. “They’re very shut down in their emotions … If it’s a look thing for business where they come in they’re at a computer or if they’re like a scientist or something like that, they’ll do that; but if it’s something were they really have to act and get some kind of performance out of, it’s a challenge.”

WTF that's like "black people are inherently scary" levels of racist.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
”I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they're not very expressive,"

tumblr_on50n0gLd21w8e29mo1_500.gif

How many flops must happen before casting directors realize that white people don't automatically make bank and Asians aren't automatically un-bankable?

caliph95

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,” one other casting director told Yuen.
Asian people aren't expressive?

lmfao wtf?

These people never watched J or K-dramas?

What a load of bollocks, holy shit. :

Seriously. If anything, you could almost argue that they tend to overact, haha. (But that's just the culture of their TV/cinema, not a racial thing)
mj-laughing.gif

norm9

I mean, if yiou absolutely need an excuse not to cast an Asian person for a Asian role, sure, go with that. It's stupid as fuck but it's better than no excuse.

Shaanyboi

Banned
”I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they're not very expressive," one other casting director told Yuen. ”They're very shut down in their emotions ... If it's a look thing for business where they come in they're at a computer or if they're like a scientist or something like that, they'll do that; but if it's something were they really have to act and get some kind of performance out of, it's a challenge."

Does this motherfucker's idea of Asian people entirely stem from a picture of geishas and Japanese businessmen?

“I had two Asians on a writing staff, and a network executive asked if I had an Asian fetish.” —Glen Mazzara, showrunner for The Walking Dead

Damn, a Network executive said that just for having two asians on the entire writing staff? jeez

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, look what I got fed-ex'd to me today at the office from one of the biggest biotech companies in the world:

21551888_10102420597235547_4209722735769295147_o.jpg

So I guess Asians are expressive enough to substitute for black rappers at least.

I'm not surprised that a glass door review of Thermo I just read states that they have very little diversity in management. Things like this don't happen when you have minority voices in the room.

Slayven

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, look what I got fed-ex'd to me today at the office from one of the biggest biotech companies in the world:

So I guess Asians are expressive enough to substitute for black rappers at least.

I'm not surprised that a glass door review of Thermo I just read states that they have very little diversity in management. Things like this don't happen when you have minority voices in the room.

The middle guy can't even believe the bullshit

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Not expressive...
I have days worth of Tokusatsu that says otherwise.
These are some stupid (racist) motherfuckers.

I blame this line of thought on too many Asian Americans always being so quiet in school and never reading loud enough for even the kid sitting next to them to hear it. I tried with my fellow Asian classmates, but they never want to speak up. If the cycle isn't being broken now then I promise that my future kid(s) will lead the charge to break this horrid cycle that has plagued us since the first Asians arrived in this country.

I blame this line of thought on too many Asian Americans always being so quiet in school and never reading loud enough for even the kid sitting next to them to hear it. I tried with my fellow Asian classmates, but they never want to speak up. If the cycle isn't being broken now then I promise that my future kid(s) will lead the charge to break this horrid cycle that has plagued us since the first Asians arrived in this country.
Whoa, you're Asian, too? This thread got an Asian fetish or something?

ash321

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,”
Said asian not expressive enough.

Cast Scarlet J. Go fuck yourself Hollywood.

Am I the only one who sees Usher

I honestly can't tell if they put out a casting call for models and said "wait wait wait, we can't have an ad with three black scientist dudes in gold chains...let's get a minority woman to be the third member, it promotes diversity."

Or

These were the only employees of color they had on hand.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I honestly can't tell if they put out a casting call for models and said "wait wait wait, we can't have an ad with three black scientist dudes in gold chains...let's get a minority woman to be the third member, it promotes diversity."

Or

These were the only employees of color they had on hand.

she looks like shes at least mixed with black though.

Not expressive...

jerry113

Banned

Replace the word asian with black and tell me that doesn't sound racist af.

Jam master jay is rolling in his grave....

So this is what #ExpressiveAsians was about. Not surprised it's related to Hollywood fuckery.

Not expressive...

As much as I like Kamen Rider, using children live action hero shows as examples might not be the best example of acting chops. But yes your point stands.

watershed

Banned
Replace the word asian with black and tell me that doesn't sound racist af.

It's already racist as fuck.

This shit has been known forever. Asians are exotic, mysterious, inscrutable, gentle, etc. Watch The Last Samurai if you want to see how Hollywood sees Asians.

Jintor

“I work with a lot of different people, and Asians are a challenge to cast because most casting directors feel as though they’re not very expressive,” one other casting director told Yuen.

friday_gifdump_308_07.gif

Top Bottom